Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide - Europe - France Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ferrari 488 PISTA

Sport Auto didn't test Senna yet.

It would be faster for sure. Maybe by 10-20secs.

Pista has similar performance to GT2RS. Check this link Senna vs GT2 RS laptimes. http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel6810-7177.htm . Senna is faster in all tracks.

In all fairness, it should be mentioned that Sport Auto didn't have the chance to test the Huracan Performante properly, meaning they had only one(!) round for the lap time since the car has been banned afterwards from the Nordschleife due to the exhaust sound level. Smiley 

They mentioned this in the testing report, also the car had a mysterious power loss (608 hp instead of 640 hp) and the non standard rollover cage (it was a factory car) added over additional 40 kg to the weight. Sport Auto usually does several laps with their test cars and take the best lap time as a result.

I know, I know...I own a Performante and of course I would say this   but it is a fact. Just saying...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

In all fairness, it should be mentioned that Sport Auto didn't have the chance to test the Huracan Performante properly, meaning they had only one(!) round for the lap time since the car has been banned afterwards from the Nordschleife due to the exhaust sound level. Smiley 

They mentioned this in the testing report, also the car had a mysterious power loss (608 hp instead of 640 hp) and the non standard rollover cage (it was a factory car) added over additional 40 kg to the weight. Sport Auto usually does several laps with their test cars and take the best lap time as a result.

I know, I know...I own a Performante and of course I would say this   but it is a fact. Just saying...
    --

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

different sound regulation applies for testing purpose...Smiley

the non standard cage is definitely not 40kg not even close to this. would like to see where you take this figure?

I enjoyed performante this weekend at the track. very forgiving car Smiley but definitely not a track toy. no cage, no harness, room for helmet is tricky. the seat was super harsh Smiley but sound and speed are great Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

--

different sound regulation applies for testing purpose...Smiley

No, it doesn't. Sport Auto mentioned it in their test review.

the non standard cage is definitely not 40kg not even close to this. would like to see where you take this figure?

Again...Sport Auto. The car had a full fledged roll cage and different seats since this was a factory test car (this is why they were so surprised by the power loss but they suspected the car has been too much "beaten up").

I enjoyed performante this weekend at the track. very forgiving car Smiley but definitely not a track toy. no cage, no harness, room for helmet is tricky. the seat was super harsh Smiley but sound and speed are great Smiley

No cage is OK for track toy (not for serious track fun), no harness is a different story and the lack of helmet room is legendary (and difficult to understand but Lamborghini changed this with the Evo, the seat is lower). Yes, seats are super harsh (especially the racing shells but also the standard seats) and yes, sound and speed are great but the Corsa tires aren't exactly track material, they don't stand a chance vs. the Michelin Cup after one or two rounds. The Trofeo is the much better choice but impossible to drive on public roads, especially when it is cold or wet.

I still believe the GT3/GT3 RS are the perfect choices for casual track fun, relatively cheap (also maintenance) and reliable. No wonder they are so popular. Smiley

--

More 2109 catch up.I have been wanting to scratch the Blue Elettrico itch for some time and orange is always a favourite of mine. This was a brave choice but it has come out very well I think...

IMG_7796.jpegIMG_7798.jpeg

The Pista is a joy to drive - astonishingly fast and very precise when positioning on the road. The steering is completely different from a 458 Speciale and of course the engine is now turbo charged Smiley - I would take the Speciale every time even though it is slower.

crayphile:

More 2109 catch up.I have been wanting to scratch the Blue Elettrico itch for some time and orange is always a favourite of mine. This was a brave choice but it has come out very well I Wow stunning. Very brave choice. What does the interior look like?

Wow stunning. Very brave choice. What does the interior look like?

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

EnglishManInNY:
    Wow stunning. Very brave choice. What does the interior look like?

IMG_0175.jpegIMG_0178.jpegIMG_0177.jpeg

Brave choice, but it does look good. kiss

Definitely better than many other Pista colour combinations I‘ve seen so far. Love the interior! wink

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

That works, Beautifulkiss

Hmm 🤔 I’ll say this much, it certainly is unique. 

--

Having everything is nice, but it's even nicer to make sure everything you've got is actually worth having.

Do we have Pista owners reading who can report about their experience of the car on track and on the road?

--

Ferrari 488 Pista / Lotus Exige Cup 430 Type 25 / AMG GTR / 991.1 GT3 RS / Cayman GT4 / 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 / 997.2 GT3 / Lotus Exige S / 964 Turbo 3.3

nberry:

Hmm 🤔 I’ll say this much, it certainly is unique. 

Smiley Smiley.

GoHardGT3RS:

Do we have Pista owners reading who can report about their experience of the car on track and on the road?

I've been using the Senna as a track car this year so have not put the Pista on one yet. Looking at your signature you have a Pista, is there something specific you want to compare notes on?

I don't have my Pista yet, on order with delivery in March.

What are your impressions about the Pista on the road?

--

Ferrari 488 Pista / Lotus Exige Cup 430 Type 25 / AMG GTR / 991.1 GT3 RS / Cayman GT4 / 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 / 997.2 GT3 / Lotus Exige S / 964 Turbo 3.3

GoHardGT3RS:

My views use the 458 Speciale as the comparator/ benchmark. Engine turbo so always going to come second emotionally for me and so it does. The extra power and torque are reflected in markedly more speed and acceleration for the 488. Gone is the light and very quick steering of the 458 and in comes heavier, more balanced and more precise 488 steering which makes for notably more precise placing of the vehicle's nose in bends. Gearshift possibly quicker in the 488 but no detectable difference in brakes for me at least. The 488 is put together better and far fewer rattles on the inside.

crayphile:
    GoHardGT3RS:

I've been using the Senna as a track car this year so have not put the Pista on one yet. Looking at your signature you have a Pista, is there something specific you want to compare notes on?

The Senna must be crushingly fast, compared to any other street-legal car!

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Thanks for your impressions compared to the 458 Speciale, very interesting.

So if I properly understand you, if you would have to chose one, it would be the Speciale mainly due to its N/A engine?

--

GoHardGT3RS:

So if I properly understand you, if you would have to chose one, it would be the Speciale mainly due to its N/A engine?

Correct. 

crayphile:
    GoHardGT3RS:

Correct. 

How do you rate Speciale vs 812 in terms of driving enjoyment?

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:

Other than the obvious differences associated with V8 vs V12 and rear engine versus front engine, the key difference is that the 812 takes much more care, attention, and skill to drive fast and safely. The Speciale has always made me feel I am a better driver than I am ( in a controlled rather than uncontrolled way if that makes sense). If you make a small mistake in a Speciale it is recoverable, if you make a mistake at speed in an 812 it is too late for the average driver and even more so in a F12.

crayphile:
    Porker:

Other than the obvious differences associated with V8 vs V12 and rear engine versus front engine, the key difference is that the 812 takes much more care, attention, and skill to drive fast and safely. The Speciale has always made me feel I am a better driver than I am ( in a controlled rather than uncontrolled way if that makes sense). If you make a small mistake in a Speciale it is recoverable, if you make a mistake at speed in an 812 it is too late for the average driver and even more so in a F12.

That does make the 812 sound like more of a driver's car, which is a plus. The engine is also a masterpiece, couldn't get over how powerful it felt.

Another point is that the Speciale's interior felt a bit flimsy to me, whereas the 812's is top notch.

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:

That does make the 812 sound like more of a driver's car, which is a plus. The engine is also a masterpiece, couldn't get over how powerful it felt.

Another point is that the Speciale's interior felt a bit flimsy to me, whereas the 812's is top notch.

It is a futile comparison  - they are completely different cars.

crayphile:
    Porker:

I know, obviously. But one can't have them all Smiley

--

Porker:
    crayphile:
    Porker:

Well, some gentlemen above you can... Smiley

Ferdie:
    Porker:
    crayphile:
    Porker:

I should have specified. Smiley

--

crayphile:
    GoHardGT3RS:

My views use the 458 Speciale as the comparator/ benchmark. Engine turbo so always going to come second emotionally for me and so it does. The extra power and torque are reflected in markedly more speed and acceleration for the 488. Gone is the light and very quick steering of the 458 and in comes heavier, more balanced and more precise 488 steering which makes for notably more precise placing of the vehicle's nose in bends. Gearshift possibly quicker in the 488 but no detectable difference in brakes for me at least. The 488 is put together better and far fewer rattles on the inside.

First of all, congratulations on the car. If I understand you correctly, apart from the engine, the 488 is the more mature car and more solidly built. Nonetheless, does it have more charm than the 458 from an owner´s point of view? Again, if one excludes the engine in that comparison.

Quite funny that, it one looks at the numbers, the Pista is more advanced than the Speciale, but it doesn't look as if it makes the car more joyful to own and drive.

Porker:
    Ferdie:
    Porker:
    crayphile:
    Porker:

I should have specified. Smiley

Smiley

I honestly have to say that a front-engined, rear-wheel driven car with a natural aspirated V12 looks very intriguing, especially in this day and age. Since it also requires more care that would probably be the car I´d choose. 

Ferdie:
    crayphile:
    GoHardGT3RS:

First of all, congratulations on the car. If I understand you correctly, apart from the engine, the 488 is the more mature car and more solidly built. Nonetheless, does it have more charm than the 458 from an owner´s point of view? Again, if one excludes the engine in that comparison.

Quite funny that, it one looks at the numbers, the Pista is more advanced than the Speciale, but it doesn't look as if it makes the car more joyful to own and drive.

yes - engine aside the Pista is probably the better car. Design  is subjective but I prefer the Speciale.

Pista is really busy styling wise imo. I hope the SP2 and Roma add some welcome calm in the future designs...

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782235 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442936 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263530 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261981 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86041 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6042 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881727 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819981 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM