Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Boxster and PASM Interesting Dealer Comment

Just had a telephone conversation with my Porsche dealer who has advised me NOT to have PASM on the Boxster if I am not going to do much track work. He advised me that even in "Normal" mode it gives a very hard ride, especially with the 19" wheels which I have specified. Any comments?

Re: Boxster and PASM Interesting Dealer Comment

Hey Dreamcar thought your dealer had told you that the 19" wheels on there own gave a harsh ride and PASM would sort it out??

The 19" are 35 profile rubber same as the 18" on the current boxster so you'd expect the ride to be similar right?

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    Hey Dreamcar thought your dealer had told you that the 19" wheels on there own gave a harsh ride and PASM would sort it out??

The 19" are 35 profile rubber same as the 18" on the current boxster so you'd expect the ride to be similar right?

That's what I was originaly told by them. Apparently they've had a meeting and the revised opinion is based on feedback on the 997. He apologised for the initial info but hey, they are honest and saved me Pounds1k! I've driven the 986"S" on the 18" wheels and found the ride very good.

The Salesman talked you out of spending Pounds1000!!!! Whats the world coming too!

Sounds like an excuse to get the Adaptive Sport seats to me dreamcar!!! And the extra support and comfort will take you mind of the firm ride!!!

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    The Salesman talked you out of spending Pounds1000!!!! Whats the world coming too!

Sounds like an excuse to get the Adaptive Sport seats to me dreamcar!!! And the extra support and comfort will take you mind of the firm ride!!!

Theyre you go, an honest salesman. Mind I've heard nothing but praise for Chapelgate (Porsche Centre Bournemouth). I see you are having sports seats on your 987 - you having the adaptive ones? I must admit it is tempting when you read the reviews here by RC and others.

Unforuntately I'm only having the standard sports seats,cant stretch to the Adaptive ones. I did have a sit in them in the 997s and they were very very comfy, especially around the shoulder and upper back. Can only hope mine will be similar.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Just had a telephone conversation with my Porsche dealer who has advised me NOT to have PASM on the Boxster if I am not going to do much track work. He advised me that even in "Normal" mode it gives a very hard ride, especially with the 19" wheels which I have specified. Any comments?

Well, I'm pretty sure that the standard suspension setup is pretty sporty, especially in addition with the 19'' wheels. But PASM is different, don't listen to your salesman. Not only does it adapt automatically (if you want it), the sport mode is much sportier than the standard suspension. And for those comfy moments in life with your girl friend or wife, you can also choose a softer setup.

One disadvantage of PASM is however that you can't retrofit a coilover kit, etc. if you wish to do so later on. But especially if you're NOT track racing your Boxster, PASM is highly recommended because it delivers the best of both worlds without the need of retrofitting a sportier suspension later on.

Many thanks for your informed opinion RC, valued as always. I am now even more confused - why am I getting these conflicting messages? The answer is I suppose have a demo in a PASM equipped car (997) and make my own mind up? The ride will be very similar to the Boxster I am sure?

Dreamcar,

Didn't we comment in an earlier post the fun of speccing the car is half the Porsche experience

Doubt I'll go for PASM, but will probably go for the 19", purely for the asthetics. Having driven a 997 with the 18s happy that there's enough leeway that the 19"s won't be too harsh at all, be interested to see how your test goes on Sat - I may swing by around 10:30 to see how you get on - look out for the black Mini cabrio.

No back to scanning the piccies and drooling over Cobalt Blue - I'm sure I can justify that.....

Hi Rich

OK. Look for a blue Focus Diesel, they are normally OK about it as long as I don't park it where it can be seen

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Many thanks for your informed opinion RC, valued as always. I am now even more confused - why am I getting these conflicting messages? The answer is I suppose have a demo in a PASM equipped car (997) and make my own mind up? The ride will be very similar to the Boxster I am sure?

The 997 and Boxster are following different philosophies regarding the setup and I'm not sure you get the same feel in a 997 like you would get in a Boxster.
    I know this sounds a little bit weird now but why don't you guys just wait until your dealer gets the dealer showcars and you can testdrive them? Winter is coming and there should be enough time to get a car for spring delivery.

Or just take the plunge and order the car you think would suit you right. The ordering process can really be fun but I know that it can be confusing too.

I must admit I drove a 986"S" earlier this year on a Porsche driving experience, both on road and track, with 18" wheels and I thought the ride of that car was really good. Especially after the awful, bone jarring ride of a BMW Z4 3.0. Well, as Rich C said the joy of speccs - do I go for PASM (as per RC), leave it off (as per dealer) save the money or use the money to substitute standard sports seats for adaptive sports seats (as recommended by RC)? Can't justify it all, unfortunately. At least I've sorted out the colour combination! The thing is as I've said before, it is my "dreamcar", I can probably only do it once, so I want to get it right. The problem with waiting for the actual 987 to appear is that with a build date of February, which I don't want to slip, it might be too late by then to alter anything. Aaarghhh!!!

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    Dreamcar,

Didn't we comment in an earlier post the fun of speccing the car is half the Porsche experience

Doubt I'll go for PASM, but will probably go for the 19", purely for the asthetics. Having driven a 997 with the 18s happy that there's enough leeway that the 19"s won't be too harsh at all, be interested to see how your test goes on Sat - I may swing by around 10:30 to see how you get on - look out for the black Mini cabrio.

No back to scanning the piccies and drooling over Cobalt Blue - I'm sure I can justify that.....

Hey Rich, now be at Chapelgate at 4:00PM to better suit them as they have loads of demo's booked for the 997 and later on is quieter for them. I have to say the more I deal with Chapelgate the more I like them. They advise honestly, if you ask a question and they are unsure they contact Porsche and ring you back. They seem to rather have a happy customer than take excessive money off you for inappropriate toys. More when I see you, if you can make the later time.

You should definitely have a drive in a 997 with the pasm. I would be very surprised if you felt it was too stiff in standard mode - I didn't even feel that the sport mode was particularly uncomfortable.

I personally might go with the base suspension though to reserve the possibility of firmer coil overs later. As I have decided to wait for a 2006 though, the options may change somewhat by then.

Just got back from a 'Test Drive Plus' event in a 997S this morning - we put the PASM into sport mode once on the public road. It was much more bumpy - I wouldn't say uncomfortable - at least not for the driver who gets some feel through the steering, passengers might say otherwise though, but I could see no reason why I would ever use this setting in road driving - and std mode was plenty comfortable. Also, with my level of ability, I doubt I'd get the benefit on the track - so my personal conclusion - if I go with the Boxster I will NOT be ordering it - but if Cobalt Blue is going to be available (they're checking for me) I WILL be ordering that

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    Just got back from a 'Test Drive Plus' event in a 997S this morning - we put the PASM into sport mode once on the public road. It was much more bumpy - I wouldn't say uncomfortable - at least not for the driver who gets some feel through the steering, passengers might say otherwise though, but I could see no reason why I would ever use this setting in road driving - and std mode was plenty comfortable. Also, with my level of ability, I doubt I'd get the benefit on the track - so my personal conclusion - if I go with the Boxster I will NOT be ordering it - but if Cobalt Blue is going to be available (they're checking for me) I WILL be ordering that

I am fairly certain that I won't be going for PASM - but don't tell Chapelgate as I am having a play with a 997"S" tomorrow - just to make sure, you understand I still blow hot and cold over cobalt, but I think I will stay with arctic silver / blue /blue. Even if everybody else except that bloke in Andover has it

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803533 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448637 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266230 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90119 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6669 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885918 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833553 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM