Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

quad exhaust on 997 C2

can the quad exhaust be specced on the 997 C2?

Re: quad exhaust on 997 C2

No because there is a different weldment on the muffler.

thats what i thought, but at the porsche launch here in E.london, a sales person seemed convinved that it was an option on the C2, perhaps not the whole exhaust system but the quad pipes?

The S exhaust has a welded "Y" at the end, where the chrome trim will cover over. The "Y" is all welded even to the muffler lobe on each side you'd have to basically change approximately two thirds of the exhaust system to get the dual tips to fit. Then you'd have a S system in a non-s, which would be crazy.

You can cut the tip of the exhaust pipesoff and weld just the Y on to it, but there goes your warrenty.

The guy didn't know what he was talking about. As usual.

Re: quad exhaust on 997 C2 forgot to say

I'm just an engineering type, not Porsche 997 expert. I'm looking at pictures of the 997S exhaust system. from MY interpretation it doesn't look like an easy switch.

Grrrr!! now thats 2 pieces of rubbish information i have got from porsche reps!

pathetic. thanks guys

Grrrr!! now thats 2 pieces of rubbish information i have got from porsche reps!

pathetic.

I must say i have been suprised how much bad information the porsche sales guys have given me,this is my first porsche purchase and for a top end sports car manufacturer i am suprised they dont employ better staff with a real interest in the product.I am sure this doesnt apply to all but if you get the wrong guy you have a problem.

Many, many years ago I worked at an audio store in Houston that catered to persons with expensive tastes. The owner of those stores would sometimes give a "pop-quiz" to the sales staff at a company meeting. Hard questions too, like: "Describe how FM radio signals are demodulated in an FM tuner." Sales persons that could not provide satisfactory answers were fired!

It was tough medicine but that is exactly how a sales staff should be handled when they are dealing with customers with discriminating tastes. Sales people have a lot of free time and their jobs are pretty easy. They need to spend their free time educating themselves on the products they are representing.

i got an info that soon a sport exhaust with 4 tips was going to be available for the standard c2

That just sucks!! There's almost no identical difference in the appearances b/w the base 997 and the C2S.... Now they are offering the quad pipes as an option?? I guess some people here in Vancouver will further improve their 997 by putting on a "S"....'Cause I've seen plenty of @#&* driving 330CI with M3 or SL500 with SL55 on their tails....What a beautiful city!!

Quote:
    deedee said:
    That just sucks!! There's almost no identical difference in the appearances b/w the base 997 and the C2S.... Now they are offering the quad pipes as an option?? I guess some people here in Vancouver will further improve their 997 by putting on a "S"....'Cause I've seen plenty of @#&* driving 330CI with M3 or SL500 with SL55 on their tails....What a beautiful city!!

Don't worry, we have that in Germany too. I can see very often BMW drivers with M3 or M5 badges or just the M sign on a regular BMW with no M style package or any other M stuff. Even worse: Mercedes drivers adding the AMG badge to their car, saw this very often on CLKs, S-class and sometimes even on the SL (not SL55!). What do these people think, that their car gains 50 HP by adding the badge only?! I have a friend who put the AMG badge on his SLK 230 and I told him several times that this looks ridiculous.
    He couldn't care less...until a very nice looking girl made a very nasty comment about his AMG badge at a supermarket parking lot. She was driving a "REAL" AMG, a SLK 32 AMG.
    After this "incident", he removed the AMG badge from his car. Seems that with guys, everything works "below the belt", even regarding cars. A lot of Fiat and Lancia drivers over here in Germany also have a Ferrari sticker on their cars, again another stupid thing to do. This is like putting a Lamborghini sticker on an Audi or a Bentley sticker on a Volkswagen.

Quote:
    deedee said:

Excuse me, but when is ordering a Porsche factory option the same as placing a "S" on the back end or putting an "M3" badge on the rear, or "SL55" on the back? Next you are going to tell me that 19" wheels, PASM, PCCB, and adaptive sports seats are only for "S" cars only. You and I will always can tell the difference between a S and non-S. Who cares what other people drive or what they do to their car, just be happy with what you have and enjoy it.

I hate the quad exhaust...wish the S came with a dual exhaust.

well, the exhuast tips are a matter of personal preference, some people think it is overdone, some people think it is neccessary to convey the Carrera S's additional bragging rights over the base.

that said, in regard to the false badging (not talking about parts, but about deliberately putting letters/stickers onto a car when the car is NOT that)

soooo many people do it, i used to only see it in china,

in china, politicians actually debadge, or DOWN-badge their cars, where they get all the benifits without the 'sparkle factor' and not too many people noticing them.

however, private owners do the opposite and increase the markings, which is a far more common practice all over the world.

it seems to be reaching fever pitch in the USA, and recently, ive seen MANY BMWs with M badges, Mercs with AMGs, and even an unmodified Porsche Carrera with GT3 on the back.

some enthusiasts actually go to some length to make their car look like what they are badging it, be it putting aerokits on carreras, or 911 turbos, or adding the AMG kit to a benz.

however, even then , it is only visual, and even if they modified the running gear, it would still be wrong.

anyways, theres alot of people doing it, and for obvious reasons

but it is easy to see through for even the casual car observer, and just ends up making the driver look like a very insecure douchebag

i just had a closer look at my 997S exhaust. it looks (to me) as if the dual pipes on each side are just clamped onto a single tube. if so, it should be easy to switch to a different end piece.

in fact,i don't really like the quad exhaust. i like the dual exhaust of the regular 997 better... but that just me.

-r

Quote:
    deedee said:

for a standard carrera to put an s badge ,i can get used to the idea ,but what bothers me more is the similarities between the boxster and the carrera,i personally loved the standard 19inch carrera s wheels ,and i was very much annoyed when i saw that they were offered as an option from porsche for the boxster , as well as the steering wheel .especially when i know that the standard 19inch wheel is almost out of stock and that a car could be delayed because of those wheels...

M badge. Porsche dual fender Emblems

It is hard to tell which are actual M3 and which are posers in pre-E46 M3. (2001 to present). No more side gills, only Exhaust and front spoilers are clues.

Add to that the fact that new 330s can get an "M" package (M components but no M engine) and I guess are perfectly allowed to put at least the "M" badge on the car.

I've seen a large Porsche emblems on a 911 front fenders, the spot where Ferrari usually can be found on Ferraris. That's kinda "poser" too.

Like there's anyone alive who can't tell a 911 profile is a dead giveaway that it is a Porsche.

Shared equipment blessed by Porsche at factory

Quote:
    what bothers me more is the similarities between the boxster and the carrera,i personally loved the standard 19inch carrera s wheels ,and i was very much annoyed when i saw that they were offered as an option from porsche for the boxster , as well as the steering wheel

RELAX! However _PORSCHE_ decides to equip their cars, stylistically or performance wise is FINE. I don't like some of their looks, BUT if a car can be ordered that way: why NOT?

You KNOW you got the top-of the line car, so _why_ does it bother you that some of it's equipment is a genuine factory available option on other models?

Quote:
    ossi said:
    i just had a closer look at my 997S exhaust. it looks (to me) as if the dual pipes on each side are just clamped onto a single tube. if so, it should be easy to switch to a different end piece.

in fact,i don't really like the quad exhaust. i like the dual exhaust of the regular 997 better... but that just me.

-r

Are you sure? I am looking at a picture (it is _only_ a photo) of the 997S exhaust. It doesn't look like it is possible to switch tips. Photo is on page 51 of aug 2004issue of "Automobile" magazine. Like you I don't like them either; I think the tips are stylistic overkill. When I get my S I will probably just leave them on. Oh well.

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    for a standard carrera to put an s badge ,i can get used to the idea ,but what bothers me more is the similarities between the boxster and the carrera,i personally loved the standard 19inch carrera s wheels ,and i was very much annoyed when i saw that they were offered as an option from porsche for the boxster , as well as the steering wheel .especially when i know that the standard 19inch wheel is almost out of stock and that a car could be delayed because of those wheels...

Really?? Boxster with optional 19' wheels?? Somebody find a gun and shoot me please!

Quote:
    deedee said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

Really?? Boxster with optional 19' wheels?? Somebody find a gun and shoot me please!

yep..look also at the steering wheel...

steering wheel

and by the way all the interior except the air vent ,is the same...annoying..

why quad tips on a 6 cylinder engine? dumb.

Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    why quad tips on a 6 cylinder engine? dumb.

I know, it's amazing, like Porsche is dropping down a notch and making the car look like a "poser."

They're basically just "Y"s too!

Bad move, IMHO. Why not break new ground and make them different looking in some new way but not just insinuate 8 cylinders.

Porsche has offered "Four-Tube Sport Exhaust Tip" through Tequipment for Turbo, Carrera 4S and for Carrera for a couple of years. It is listed under "Performance". Curious.

so is it available or not?

im confused :S

At this time I would say the answer to your original question is no. There may ultimately be offered a Porsche Sport Exhaust System for the 997. This may or may not include the possibility of a 4-tube exhaust outlet. There may be offered in the future through Tequipment some form of 4-tube exhaust outlet for the 997. At present neither of these options seem to be available.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806457 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449508 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267039 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90446 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7198 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887260 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836030 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM