Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The truth about Nissan's DCT Gearbox

Re: The truth about Nissan's DCT Gearbox

Might be cheap to buy, but maintain...well thats a different story. lol

Yup, and that is why I am holding back until I understand that cost a bit better as I will be using this car on the track mainly.

The car may be expensive to maintain, but a fluid change is an easy, cheap and rewarding thing to do in your garage...

BTW, if you really want to be scared about the maintainance cost of using this thing on the track, try looking at the replacement costs for the enormous brake rotors (and pads). With a car that fast and heavy, it will go through brakes (and tires) very quickly...

I just changed the front brake rotors on my track car for the first time after 4 years of track use (and they were not even to the wear limits), but can imagine changing rotors on the GTR after a hard weekend or two...

Grant, it isn't the fluid change I am worried about. I change my oil every track day anyway. But did you know that you have to strip down the engine after a certain mileage of track use?

The GT-R is the biggest bluff in automotive history.
    The triumph of publicity over substance.
    I am glad people start coming to terms with the realities and recognising the cracks in the armour of this mighty car!

Quote:
    reginos said:
    I am glad people start coming to terms with the realities and recognising the cracks in the armour of this mighty car!

Lol...triumph of publicity over substance?? Have you been hiding in a cave this last year? Please explain how the GTR lacks 'substance'

Quote:
    Seraphim said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

Lol...triumph of publicity over substance?? Have you been hiding in a cave this last year? Please explain how the GTR lacks 'substance'

Superior performance is nothing without durability.

Quote:
    Seraphim said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

Although a very new car with little accumulation of mileage and thus experience, there are already stories of high transmission maintenance costs and serious overheating after a few laps.

Search around and your eyes will see . It is just that some people are more gullible and impressionable by high claims and new gadgets.

BTW Seraphim in the Old Testament were serpents that became angels. I hope that eventually you see the light too and come good

Quote:
    Crash said:

Very true In my book durability is part of the performance (though not that easy to express in numbers like 0-100 etc. ). To finish first....
    Inspite of all the hype about the GT-R's laptimes I never would consider this car as a track car (too big, too heavy).
    To me it appears more as an Autobahn stormer.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Grant, it isn't the fluid change I am worried about. I change my oil every track day anyway. But did you know that you have to strip down the engine after a certain mileage of track use?

I have heard that it needs inspections, but I didn't know it required a rebuild unless it failed the inspections. Do you know the cost and frequency of the rebuilds?

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:

Don't "competitor" cars like the Z06, TT etc walk away from the GTR at high speeds?

Wow, the attacks between the Nissan and traditional sports car makers are getting more heated than the presidential race. If I ever see Sarah Palin in a GTR, the car forums are going to explode. Damn you Nissan for forcing Porsche to make better cars in the future. Umm... I mean thank you.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Very true In my book durability is part of the performance (though not that easy to express in numbers like 0-100 etc. ). To finish first....
    Inspite of all the hype about the GT-R's laptimes I never would consider this car as a track car (too big, too heavy).

Appearance can be quite misleading. I have a 911S and driven most variants during Porsche track days. I have also driven the GTR around Silverstone. The GTR is just not a cruising car. It handles in a way that defy belief. This is a point echoed by so many motoring journalist. Re the subject matter of maintenance costs, this indeed could prove to have merit. Time will tell when it comes to understanding maintenance costs and product reliability. Historically though Japanese cars have proved to be somewhat reliable. To just dismiss the Nissan because its not a Porsche seems a little foolish. As for handling and performance capabilities all you need to do is review either the top gear or fifth gear clips. I still love my 911 but like it or not the GTR has made a great impression and has enough credible reviews from those who can really drive cars to make it much more than marketing hype. For sure i think (and hope) that Porsche respond.

it's impressing how much the GTR is pissing off die hard porsche fans..

nissan engineers must be ROFLing when they read such posts. that's exactly the reaction they were wishing for. ignoring them would have killed them

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    it's impressing how much the GTR is pissing off die hard porsche fans..

nissan engineers must be ROFLing when they read such posts. that's exactly the reaction they were wishing for. ignoring them would have killed them

so true

For those who says that Nissan is not durable on the track etc have obviously never owned an exotic. Go track a Ferrari regularly and see what your maintanence cost is. Porsche is an exception to this rule, and only Porsche.

So you have to change the Tranny and Diff oil every 18K miles. Big deal. So every 3rd enginer oil change, you tell the guy to swap out the Cherry Fluid too. So what?

With a Transmission and Diff as sophisticated as this, you'd expect some more maintenance.

I mean for christ sake, did anyone see the AutoCar video where they had the car do 0-60 on wet, slick grass with nearly NO wheelspin or slip and the car tracked straight the entire time?! Insane!

Oh and Porsches are durable because they've had over 40 years to perfect and evolve the same basic design. With that much time to perfect it, it better be durable!

If more proof of the Nissan capabilities were needed, please see video,
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Nissan-GTR-R35-on-08-Quit_184810.htm

Quote:
    SadoTorque said:
    Wow, the attacks between the Nissan and traditional sports car makers are getting more heated than the presidential race. If I ever see Sarah Palin in a GTR, the car forums are going to explode. Damn you Nissan for forcing Porsche to make better cars in the future. Umm... I mean thank you.

Awesome comment

Quote:
    Nidge said:

For a moment I thougt he is going to pass the white GT2.

Blueflame

Quote:
    Nidge said:

Wow, what I didn't know is that the GT-R was on factory road tyres instead of R compound! The second place GT2 is factory supported and driven by multiple times touring car champ Jim Richards. No mean feat by the GTR!

The GT-R was on (heavy) run-flat STREET TIRES - the GT-2 was on Racing Compound tires (probably street legal cut slicks).

Done! That's all I needed to see. Anyone who's done a trackday or several knows how much of a difference R compound tires can make. It can shave seconds off a lap time.

Quote:
    Nidge said:I have also driven the GTR around Silverstone. The GTR is just not a cruising car. It handles in a way that defy belief.

Hi Nidge - thanks for your input. It's rare and valuable info to find someone with that experience. Could you describe the subjective driving experience please (how it "feels" to drive)? I've heard alternating reports that it's clinical and uninvolving, while other say just the opposite.

Quote:
    Heist said:
    The GT-R was on (heavy) run-flat STREET TIRES - the GT-2 was on Racing Compound tires (probably street legal cut slicks).

Done! That's all I needed to see. Anyone who's done a trackday or several knows how much of a difference R compound tires can make. It can shave seconds off a lap time.

From what I hear those Bridgestones are extremely grippy, no less actually than the Cups. Whether this is true or not is anyone's guess. However, even if done with Cup-level tyres, I have to marvel at its suspension and drivetrain setup.

Grant, Here is my take for what it is worth. If the purist believe a car can be engaging only if its man and machine with no electronic support, then the Nissan fails. If however one can appreciate the mechanical and electronic engineering advancements, then the GTR stands on its own. I found the car completely engaging. The speed one can carry into a corner is unbelievable. Yes it flattered my driving (mind you relatively the professional driving instructors said likewise)but to say that i was uninvolved is total nonsense. The GTR is amazingly so nimble for such a large and heavy car. The only hint of understeer arrives at speed through longer bends.The gearbox is to die for and the twin turbos do their thing without lag. All i would say is if you have the chance to drive a GTR take it. It is a very credible product.

Quote:
    Nidge said:
    Grant, Here is my take for what it is worth. If the purist believe a car can be engaging only if its man and machine with no electronic support, then the Nissan fails. If however one can appreciate the mechanical and electronic engineering advancements, then the GTR stands on its own. I found the car completely engaging. The speed one can carry into a corner is unbelievable. Yes it flattered my driving (mind you relatively the professional driving instructors said likewise)but to say that i was uninvolved is total nonsense. The GTR is amazingly so nimble for such a large and heavy car. The only hint of understeer arrives at speed through longer bends.The gearbox is to die for and the twin turbos do their thing without lag. All i would say is if you have the chance to drive a GTR take it. It is a very credible product.

Nidge, the bottom line! Have ordered a GT-R or plan to acquire one in the forseeable future?

Quote:
    Nidge said:

Thank you! When the GT-R was first announced, I was prepared to buy one for sticker price (but no dealer was inclined to accommodate me without a significant premium). I'd still like to drive one (I think it would make quite a daily driver for me in Denver - GTR with Turbos, AWD, and snow tires might be a monster in the Winter months here at high altitude )

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    Nidge said:

Nidge, the bottom line! Have ordered a GT-R or plan to acquire one in the forseeable future?

I have taken the plunge and ordered one. First non Porsche car in many many years. I never thought that i would leave the brand but this car is something else. I just hope the Porsche respond and i return to the brand sometime soon. In the meantime i am looking forward to the Nissan.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803003 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448485 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266017 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90009 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6496 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885563 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832928 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM