Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Italian F1 Grand Prix at Monza

So, with the controversy at Spa surrounding Lewis Hamilton still rumbling on without end, here we are, the very next weekend with another F1 Grand Prix at Monza. I'll be glad to see the endless debates about the Spa controversy stop for a while so that we can get back to enjoying some racing. Hope it's an exciting race with plenty of overtaking and drama! I also hope the forecast of rain introduces some unpredictability into the equation. The last thing I think we want to see is a boring procession! Here's to a great race

Re: Italian F1 Grand Prix at Monza

I think we are going to see Kimi go all in.
    So either he will win or he will go down in flames.
    Let's just hope the FIA doesnt become a factor again.

Monza is one of the prettiest tracks in F1 but never historically much overtaking, usually just at the end of the main straight. Was a great track for turbo cars.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    I think we are going to see Kimi go all in.
    So either he will win or he will go down in flames.
    Let's just hope the FIA doesnt become a factor again.

Amen on both counts! Kimi to win and LH and Massa to crash at the first corner, it would nicely even up the championship.

Raikkonen extended his contract to 2010.

This is a blow for Alonso's hopes of wearing the red uniform.

Ron Dennis's handling of the driver situation last year was not clever at all, but Alonso's emotional decision making was equally stupid.

Will he be happy to be running at best for a position in the points from now on and perhaps under ideal conditions for the occasional podium?

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    So, with the controversy at Spa surrounding Lewis Hamilton still rumbling on without end, here we are, the very next weekend with another F1 Grand Prix at Monza. I'll be glad to see the endless debates about the Spa controversy stop for a while so that we can get back to enjoying some racing. Hope it's an exciting race with plenty of overtaking and drama! I also hope the forecast of rain introduces some unpredictability into the equation. The last thing I think we want to see is a boring procession! Here's to a great race

Yup....what we need is rain - and plenty of it.

Kimi's contract at Scuderia Ferrari which was due to expire at the end of the 2009 F1 season has now been extended for 1 more year till the end of the 2010 F1 season:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7612545.stm

While Kimi will be celebrating his contract extension, Alonso must be thinking hard about where he will drive next year and beyond... Renault may still be his best option.

Personally I would like to see Alonso go with BMW Sauber, but Renault will get it together I think...

I dont think BMW needs Alonso while they have Kubica. Mario Thiessen is too shrewd to put Alonso and Kubica together. Best option for Alonso is to join Honda and rebuild the team with Ross Brawn. Remember two years ago Honda was a top team and RB is the man who turned Ferrari into a winning team.

BMW will win, Ferrari's Kimi will go all out - but since Massa is in a better position to win right now, the team will give Massa the better strategy so he'll come in 2nd. McLaren will come in third.

Then the FIA stewards will step in, charge BMW and McLaren with "driving at an excessive speed whilst a race was in progress", subtract 20 pts from each team, send them back 10 spots on the grid for the next race, and then in a private backroom ceremony give Ferrari the Drivers and Constructors Championship while fondling Stefano Domenicali nuts.

Strangest starting grid in years.

Sebastian Vettel on pole! Hamilton 15th.
    Yes, you heard right. Rain killed the favorites and turned things uo side down for tomorrow's GP.
    Leaves things wide open for a very intersting and probably chaotic race.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/9/8377.html

Re: Strangest starting grid in years.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Sebastian Vettel on pole! Hamilton 15th.
    Yes, you heard right. Rain killed the favorites and turned things uo side down for tomorrow's GP.
    Leaves things wide open for a very intersting and probably chaotic race.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/9/8377.html

Hamilton decided to run on intermediates for Q2!!

Happy to see a new face on pole though, regardless of what will happen tomorrow.

Yup - excellent The rain has hopefully mixed things up very nicely. Should be exciting watching the faster cars work their way through the field

Take my word for it, Lewis is going to do a Schumacher drive , Kov is going to hand over the win as Hamilton needs the points (obviously if Lewis manages not to damage his car on the way to the front). I say this is a 75% chance of happening

So if it's going to be a dry race, those in the top 10 who qualified in wet tyres surely won't last long!?? It's gonna be an interesting race - mayhem at the first corner!!

Well done Vettel! This guy will go far..
    What is Raikko doing? Is somebody telling him fastest race laps don't bring championship points?

What a fascinating race. Well done Vettel and Toro Rosso

Lewis came from 15th to 7th - pity he had to change to intermediate tyres - if his 1 stop strategy hadn't been spoilt, he would be 2nd.

Kimi had a very strange race. No pace then came alive on intermediate tyres as the track dried.

I liked Vettel very much as a personality too.

IMO a star is born. Let's see, if Ferrari takes him he could be the new M.Schumacher.

Ferrari should fire Kimi and bring on Vettel! Btw, what did you guys think of the move by Lewis moving across in the braking zone when Webber was having a look? I would be investigating that if I was the stewart.

Fantastic win by Vettel, thoroughly deserved. Kimi and Heiki ought to have done better. Hamilton did well to reduce the points conceded to Massa. Nice to see a non Ferrari, McLaren, BMW winner and makes the constructors and drivers titles closer still.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Ferrari should fire Kimi and bring on Vettel! Btw, what did you guys think of the move by Lewis moving across in the braking zone when Webber was having a look? I would be investigating that if I was the stewart.

It was "hamilton move" ... like the one one the Toyota pushing im out to grass, and like the one on Alonso where he had no need to cross in from of Alonso like that ...

In the end the point that Hamilton take from Webber is going to decide the championchip...

I agree. Hamilton pushed Glock to the grass and his move agianst Webber was also very interesting...

Vettel drove perfectly today! Just the fact that his setup was for dry is amazing IMHO...

This was the first time in my life that I was (almost) happy to see a Ferrari powered car win a race.

Well done Vettel!

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    I agree. Hamilton pushed Glock to the grass and his move agianst Webber was also very interesting...

Vettel drove perfectly today! Just the fact that his setup was for dry is amazing IMHO...

you shore that his steup has for dry weather ?? i find it almost impossible...

Does anyone else feel that Massa should have done better today? He should have been at least 3rd driving a Ferrari with a fresh engine and IMO he put another poor performance when the going got tough. The drivers from P3 to P5 were behind him at qualifying and Hamilton rose from 15th to just a position behind him in spite of his unscheduled second stop.

I respect Ferrari a lot (although I am not a tifoso) and IMO they should get a driver worthy of the uniform and heritage. The fact that Massa might end up as the 2008 champion, is totally irrelevant for my estimation of him.

Quote:
    rosso nuvola said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

you shore that his steup has for dry weather ?? i find it almost impossible...

Vettel said that in press conference after the race. He was on low downforce setup and was because of that much faster on straight line the Mclarens for example. Just he needed extra attention in corners...

Very different GP today indeed.
    Great to see Vettel take his maiden win. But unless he switches to one of the top teams or every GP is drowned in rain and the top drivers feck up, I cant see him winning anything again.

Both Mclarens seem to cope with rain so much better than the Ferraris.
    Could someone lease explain to me why that is?
    Better tire/suspension combination? Simply better drivers in the wet? The "secret" non-TC torque control system working well?
    It's really hard for me to understand how borth Massa and Kimi underperform in these conditions compared to LH.

I acknowledge LH as a great driver, but I honestly dont believe he is that much better and faster than both Massa and Kimi in the wet.

Speaking of Kimi: WTF is going on? He is the world champ and used to be the benchmark for incredible driving, bold moves and staying cool under pressure.
    Now he hasnt scored a point in what, three GPs?
    I am sure the car setup plays a part, but I also think he is mentally somewhere else than he should be.
    Any ideas what could be going on?

We dont know half of what is going on behind the scenes, or what technical difficulties the teams have to face during the GPs, but it's strange that The Iceman suddenly performs nothing like we have seen before.

Hamilton keeps on with his humble and underplayed behaviour:

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren (7th):
    "I felt I drove a really good race and was moving through the field very quickly when the circuit was at its wettest. If it had kept on raining, I feel pretty confident I probably could have even won from 15th grid position (...)".

Maybe I dont understand the realities of being an F1 pilot, but this guy really lacks class IMO.

No matter what happens, this championship will have a less than perfect winner IMO. Hamilton, no thanks. Massa? He may win, but I just cant see this arrogant midget with the gold medal around his neck, and Kimi has lost the touch and doesnt deserve to win.

I say: Strip them all of their points and give the win to DC...just for fun

Some of your comments are pretty good but, I feel right now that Kimi is(sorry to say this) not as good driver or person as Mika Hakkinen was in his best days... Next night race is Kimi's to be or not to be-he needs to win there and LH needs to be below podium positions... Possible? If there will be rain everything is possible-even Vettel could won again!

Lewis drove today a mixed race since it was clear that his car is setup for heavy rain. With intermediates he wasn't that fast any more and his moves against Glock("Look Timo, grass is very nice and wet on your left side!") and Webber("Bloody Aussie! That corner is MINE!") are apparently his style... BUT, someone will nail this arrogant prick to the wall-sooner or later...

World Champion? Hamilton 60% chance, Massa 20% chance, Kimi 10% chance, Kubica 10% chance...

The worst thing Hamilton said was "Finally, I'd like to offer my congratulations to Sebastian on winning his first grand prix - I know what a sweet feeling that is!"

Pretty selfish comment, but he did drive pretty well even if he used some dirty moves. No risk = no fun.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Very different GP today indeed.
    Great to see Vettel take his maiden win. But unless he switches to one of the top teams or every GP is drowned in rain and the top drivers feck up, I cant see him winning anything again.

Ferrari should pick him up. A new Schumacher in the making.

German temperament and Italian technology. Hahaha usually it's the other way round!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802907 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448456 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265991 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89995 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6477 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885519 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832722 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM