Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tire pressure sensor issue

I just picked up a 2007 unsold 997 "S" that had the Porsche sport design wheels, I didnt like the wheels so the dealer swapped them out for me with the standard Carrera S 19 inch rims. First time I drove the car, the yellow tire warning light on the dash came on, and I got a message on the dash saying "learning". The dealer said this was normal, the car was adapting to the new wheels, it would do this for the first 5 or 6 miles, then once it adapted to the new wheels, the display would clear up and I wouldn't see anymore messages. It did clear up, but not even 30 minutes later a different message that said "new wheels? input TPC settings" came on. The dealer said to drive the car and this would clear up eventually. I have now driven for 4 days and over 300 miles and the message has not gone off. I am thinking the dealer has to manually input something into the computer for the tire pressure sensors to work properly. Am I right?

Re: Tire pressure sensor issue

If memory serves correctly, I believe you can reset this yourself in the on board computer settings menu. Don't generally use my car for work so I can't check the manual at the moment.

yes you can reset this yourself in one of the PCM menu's !

Quote:
    911freak said:
    I just picked up a 2007 unsold 997 "S" that had the Porsche sport design wheels, I didnt like the wheels so the dealer swapped them out for me with the standard Carrera S 19 inch rims. First time I drove the car, the yellow tire warning light on the dash came on, and I got a message on the dash saying "learning". The dealer said this was normal, the car was adapting to the new wheels, it would do this for the first 5 or 6 miles, then once it adapted to the new wheels, the display would clear up and I wouldn't see anymore messages. It did clear up, but not even 30 minutes later a different message that said "new wheels? input TPC settings" came on. The dealer said to drive the car and this would clear up eventually. I have now driven for 4 days and over 300 miles and the message has not gone off. I am thinking the dealer has to manually input something into the computer for the tire pressure sensors to work properly. Am I right?

The info is all in the manual - in the off chance you didn't get one, here are the relevant pages.

FWIW, as a last DIY resort (before going to dealer again) you can disconnect your battery and start over with the reset. Follow directions in manual.

Or maybe go to this mfgr link and see "info for download."

http://www.beru.com/english/produkte/tss.php

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    If memory serves correctly, I believe you can reset this yourself in the on board computer settings menu. Don't generally use my car for work so I can't check the manual at the moment.

You can reset for different tire types (as these can call for different tire pressures), first tier choice being summer or winter tires, and second tier choice between 19" and 18" tires.

I checked the tire pressures today, the manual says the Carrera S should have 44 PSI in the rear tires and 37 PSI in the front. All four tires were at 34PSI from the dealer, what were they thinking? I guess they weren't. After I did this I then manually reset the TPC system and now it works beautifully. Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

Quote:
    911freak said:
    I checked the tire pressures today, the manual says the Carrera S should have 44 PSI in the rear tires and 37 PSI in the front. All four tires were at 34PSI from the dealer, what were they thinking? I guess they weren't. After I did this I then manually reset the TPC system and now it works beautifully. Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

The 997 Carrera S should be set at 33PSI front, 39PSI rear (with up to 2 people). 36/44 is for max load and is way too high otherwise. See your manual pg. 334.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    911freak said:

The 997 Carrera S should be set at 33PSI front, 39PSI rear (with up to 2 people). 36/44 is for max load and is way too high otherwise. See your manual pg. 334.

Thanks for the info. Pressures have been set accordingly, though now i find myself wondering how accurate the wheel's TP sensors actually are. I have what I think is a fairly accurate digital tire gauge that reads to within a half pound of pressure. I set pressures with it, but then the cars own TP sensors say each tire is 3 pounds lower than what my gauge says. I am not sure which is the more accurate, so I compromised by adding 1.5 pounds per each tire

Quote:
    911freak said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    911freak said:

Thanks for the info. Pressures have been set accordingly, though now i find myself wondering how accurate the wheel's TP sensors actually are. I have what I think is a fairly accurate digital tire gauge that reads to within a half pound of pressure. I set pressures with it, but then the cars own TP sensors say each tire is 3 pounds lower than what my gauge says. I am not sure which is the more accurate, so I compromised by adding 1.5 pounds per each tire

Some report that TPMS and manual gauge readings are the same. My experience is that TPMS reads 4 psi higher on all 4 wheels so that's how I adjust. I depend on TPMS to tell me if I have a leak while driving but I always check the pressures with a manual gauge before driving.

And don't confuse the precision of any tire gauge with its accuracy.

You can have a tire gauge that will display the pressure to the 3rd decimal point but its specifications are that its +/- 2 psi.

Also, digital doesn't get you more accuracy be default, over analog, you just don't have to squint at the markings with digital. ;0

For differences in pressure... the TPMS sensor sits inside the tire and reads its pressure there. Our manual gauges read the pressure through the valve stem, so the internal pressure must translate to the outside... could it be the valve itself is acting as a pressure intensifier (a nozzle in effect?) I'm not sure how much, if at all, that is possible with gasses (vs liquids we all know).... chemistry too long ago... what was it.. PV=nRT ?

Quote:
    jeffbco said:
    Quote:
    911freak said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    911freak said:

Some report that TPMS and manual gauge readings are the same. My experience is that TPMS reads 4 psi higher on all 4 wheels so that's how I adjust. I depend on TPMS to tell me if I have a leak while driving but I always check the pressures with a manual gauge before driving.

It really doesn't come across in the copy of the driver's manual you attached above, but you are not meant to adjust the tire pressures using the "normal" pressure display readings which you can call up when you are driving the car. Those readings show the "actual" pressures without any compensation for temeperature variations.

Tire pressures should be adjusted using the so-called "pressure info" display, which can only be called up when the car is stationary. This display shows variations from the recommended values as + or - values either side the datum, and the readings are temperature-compensated to correct values to the equivalent of 20* Celsius (=68* F).
    That is, the objective when adjusting tire pressures should be to get all four wheels' readouts to "0" by adding or bleeding off air accordingly.

The way I undstood this was that adjusting to zero only was an adjustment based on what Porsche thought the pressure should be - many run higher or lower pressures than Porsche recommends (e.g., for the track) so adjusting to zero doesn't help them. As I mentioned before, I just use TPMS to tell me that the pressures in the front are the same and in the rear are the same and then to indicate if there's any decrease wheel to wheel that might indicate a leak.

Quote:
    jeffbco said:
    The way I undstood this was that adjusting to zero only was an adjustment based on what Porsche thought the pressure should be - many run higher or lower pressures than Porsche recommends .........

As I myself do.

I personally set the pressures to "+ 0.1" (bar) all round, equivalent to 1.5 psi over factory recommendations.

Using the temp-compensated "info" display works regardless of ambient temperatures, that is, in winter and summer.

Is TPMS still standard issue? I thought I saw a tire pressure monitoring option - what's that?

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Is TPMS still standard issue? I thought I saw a tire pressure monitoring option - what's that?

I believe TPMS is mandatory in the US.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803279 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448591 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266152 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90082 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6624 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885756 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833348 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM