Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Mk2 997 - PDE Silverstone 8.7.08

Overall, the changes made to the 997 are far-reaching and very welcome. It is a significant improvement in many ways (mostly internal rather than external) upon an already excellent Mk1 model. Given the nature of the changes, this car is virtually like a new car rather than a Mk2 version. I guess one could treat it more like a new car if it looked more different from the MkI model.

The new gadgets etc (that I haven't commented on in any detail e.g. iPod, USB, hard disk in satnav, mp3 connection, bluetooth, SAP phone connection etc) are a quantum leap in the field of in-car technology by PAG. PAG was seriously behind manufacturers like MB and BMW but they have leapfrogged the competition with these new in-car technologies.

US buyers will clearly love the fact that they can now get their hands on a P17 sports suspension car (albeit PASM based rather than conventionally sprung as in the RoW Mk1 -20mm model). Also a mechanical rear locking differential is available to all for the first time. Another big improvement.

Sure, there are some dubious options too: voice activated controls, ventilated seats, heated steering wheel. Of course, there are some buyers who will find these useful but one must still question their appropriateness on a 188mph thoroughbred sports car.

I still think the best 911 IMHO is a car with manual transmission due to the driver involvement/interaction (and therefore pleasure) that this provides.

After all, given that I personally enjoy the interaction that choosing and changing gear gives me, why would I delegate that process to PDK to carry out for me? It may do it more efficiently than me but it doesn't 'enjoy' this process like I do so that potential enjoyment I could be having is being wasted. Why give away that pleasure? But, at the end of the day, that's a personal choice. Some people will choose PDK since they drive in city traffic a lot and one has to respect that too.

Well, hope this report has been informative and helpful. I'm off to bed now - it's been a long but enjoyable day (thanks to Porsche GB)

Cheers and all the best,
    Easy

easy_rider911 - Thank you very much for a thorough report.

x2

Very nice write up .

Thanks for taking the time and putting this together.

Nice objective writeup on PDK. With a 997 TT tip I concur vis a viz your assessment of the tip buttons going around turns. I had my tip at Pocono Raceway on 7/4 and found that simply leaving the tranny in drive (specifically NOT putting the tranny in manual and not using the tip buttons) was by far the fastest way around the track. It remains to be seen whether the 2012 TT (est. on release date) with PDK will really be the way to go.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:...
    However, I disliked the fact that the toggles are steering wheel mounted. It is fine when driving in a straight line - one's hands are in the right position to operate the toggles. What I really disliked is operating the toggles WHILE turning. One's hands may be in a position on the wheel that makes it inconvenient to access the toggles. The only option I found was to let go of the steering wheel with hand in order to operate one of the toggles. Now, the time when I least like letting go of the steering wheel to do this is during turning. One loses fine control during turning that way....

What a PDE instructor will tell you is that you should:

1 - never shift while turning

2 - keep your hands at 9-3 while straight and keep your hands fixed on the wheel while turning (as much as possible) - meaning that on a sharp left turn your right hand will be at 9 and your left will be at 3, with your arms crossed (see for example - Vic Elford's Porsche High Performance Driving Handbook, 2nd ed.).

Given those tenets, the paddle positions seem fine.

P.S. - thanks for your report.

Thank you very much for your report. It's always a different aspect when a Porsche driver writes it, not just a journalist (even a very knowledgeable one). One thing I would add to ADias comment above, when you say that the buttons don't allow for a shift they don't like, I think that's also a big part of the Playstation effect.

What I mean is that with these buttons a full shift is only a click away, which sometimes means you play around with the buttons without really wanting or having to shift. The system is only probably protecting the engine from lugging or overreving. If you were doing the shifting yourself, you would probably never shift just for the hell of it in a high-speed situation. With buttons, it's something that you have to resist.

I disagree with ADias that you don't ever shift with the wheels turned. If that was the case, we would never have those Porsche drifting videos that we just love to watch, for example (in some cases downshifting for shift lock or for holding the drift). Some cars have the paddles on the column, some on the steering wheel, it really is just a question of driver preference.

Finally, what about the new brakes? Any differences in pedal feel or retardation?

Thanks, Easy

@easy_rider911, very informative and well written report both on the car itself and the venue with good photos.

It is as if I was there too!

If you ever get tired of your day job in the future, you can attempt a bit of auto journalism

Easy, many thanks for your very interesting report.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    The big new change is obviously PDK. I was totally open to this new technology. I have never liked the Tiptronic S transmission but I went there today hoping and expecting that PDK would be the best transmission of them all....

I was surprised but relieved that things I had feared would be negatives were not as bad as I thought they would be but sadly I found that things I had expected to be fine were not.

Allow me to explain. I had feared that the PDK toggle controls on the steering wheel would be 'counter-intuitive'. I have to say - I didn't find this to be the case. Pushing the buttons forward with one's thumbs (to move up a gear) was easy and came naturally to me. BUT I don't have a habit of using paddle shifters so I don't have an 'opposite' habit to counteract. If I were used to the opposite then I might think differently - as others have stated already.

Likewise, pulling the toggles back (to move down a gear) was also easy and intuitive to me.

I hadn't been expecting this to be the case but was pleasantly surprised and relieved at this.

However, I disliked the fact that the toggles are steering wheel mounted. It is fine when driving in a straight line - one's hands are in the right position to operate the toggles. What I really disliked is operating the toggles WHILE turning. One's hands may be in a position on the wheel that makes it inconvenient to access the toggles. The only option I found was to let go of the steering wheel with hand in order to operate one of the toggles. Now, the time when I least like letting go of the steering wheel to do this is during turning. One loses fine control during turning that way.

This is a design flaw that applies equally to the Tiptronic S toggles too.

The other thing I disliked about the PDK steering wheel was the material used for the 3 spokes. It felt like a kind of metal. But I didn't find it 'tactile' enough. Not nice to touch. I also found the PDK wheel aesthetically ugly.

This is my subjective perspective on the PDK 'user interface'.

What about performance? Well, I didn't like the lack of control in the fully automatic mode. It's obviously a massive improvement on the Tiptronic S but I like to choose when (and at what rpm) gear changes are made. So, the fully automatic mode may do a great job but it's not right for me. It will please those used to automatics but not those used to the control of a manual transmission.

Regarding the manual mode, when using the toggles to move up or down a gear, there is virtually no delay in gear changes in the manual mode. It seems like the engine note hardly has time to change so it's quite hard to 'hear' the gear change. The way you can tell is that the car is accelerating/decelerating differently or that the number on the instrument display is different. Otherwise, it is a strangely 'detached' experience of changing gear.

What about acceleration? Here, PDK in manual mode was hard to fault. I was able to go relentlessly up the gears accelerating hard in each gear with much less effort and delay than when driving a manual car. The PDK mechanism can change gear better than I could by far. That makes it faster at gear changes (i.e. more efficient) but that doesn't mean it is better or more enjoyable.

What about driver interaction and pleasure? Well, I suppose a person who is used to an automatic car will love PDK. It's fast, easy and does a perfect job of swift gear changes. To someone like me who loves driving a manual car, it just left me cold. I have tried not to describe the PDK/DSG experience as a 'PlayStation' experience in the past. However, I have to say, having had first hand experience of it, that this was precisely how it felt. Changing gear by pressing buttons felt like I was operating some electronic device like a remote control or a games console controller. The PDK then translated my inputs into mechanical actions but I felt utterly cut off from that process. I was merely a button presser/pusher. It was a passionless, uninvolving process that made me feel like I was largely irrelevant to the gear choosing/shifting process.

Why? Well, you have to remember that even if the car is in manual mode, if you select a gear that the system doesn't like, it won't accept it and worse still, it will make gear changes of its own anyway in addition to any gear changes that you want it to make. So the manual mode doesn't give full control. It gives one only a partial role in gear change choices.

I have tried to explain my reaction to using PDK as best I can. I hope I have not described any sensation I have had inaccurately. If I have done so, I can only apologise. I also hope you don't mind that I have really analysed the PDK user-interface experience as thoroughly as I have. BUT, I did this because it's clearly so important to so many of us.

I'm a typical car enthusiast who happens to enjoy his Porsche. I am not a Porsche man who cannot see fault with anything that emanates from Zuffenhausen.

I am also not a professional test driver nor am I a track day junkie. So these are just my humble impressions (based on my driving abilities) that I have tried to convey as accurately as my written ability allows. I did say that I wasn't impressed by one of the 'first impressions' articles posted here on Rennteam so I have tried to do what I was hoping that article would do.

Excellent report Easy!

PDK impressions mirrors the one from my Motorpresse friend and me.

Even in manual there is NO total driver control. It is also more complicated in Sport or Sport Plus manual modes since PDK AI will override your manual gearchanage input if it feels that you are doing something wrong(eg not like your gearchange tactics)...

PDK test drive is a must before order IMHO.

Easy, thanks for taking the time to write such a well-illustrated, detailed and informative report!

What an excellent report and comparison of Mk1 and Mk2

BTW, how would you compare the suspension setup of the two versions?

Thanks for the report Easy!
    Seems like the PDK is the successor of the Tiptronic indeed; not for the track driving, purely a replacement for an auto tranny.
    -Joost-

Re: Invited to drive Mk2 997 PDE Centre Silverston

i went yesterday. It was a good event and the new centre is great.

The driving event was interesting as they had 4-5 cars that you kept swapping between (including a pre face lift car). I did however find the main circuit a bit small, but the kick plate and the ice hill were fun.

Basically you get a couple of laps in each car then swap t another and do the same. I thought the new PDK was a vast improvement over the old tippy gear box, but as the circuit was so short and the drive so quick i never got a chance to get to use to it.

I will make a larger posting later when i have time. I was also given a quick reference guide to PCM 3 operation that i will try to scan in over the next couple of days (when i have time). I can confirm the following though:-

iPod adaptor will also charge iPod. Yu can plug a USB stick and an iPod in at the same time. This gives you additional 'sources' to scroll through. It appears that all the iPods will work. However the blurb says that the 'touch and new Nano iPods cannot be guaranteed . They used a new Nano to demo the PCM and it seemed to work fine. All functions for the iPod work on the PCM. The only thing missing is the album art !!!!

The phone system is a vast improvement as it now has twin MICs with echo cancelling. It also has a mute function !!!!!! The bluetooth works in both HFP and SAP mode. Basically SIM Access Profile (SAP) is supported by some Nokia phones and when hoked up to the PCM uses the cars mobile radio equipment. Other phones use HFP (Hands Free Profile) and thus the PCM operates as a simple bluetooth phone kit.....

Easy thank you for your usual detailed posts. I am quite interested to hear on the ride of the car. I have watched (You Tube) and read some articles on how the ride has changed - the nose doesn't bump as much as the Mk1 etc etc. Any comments?

Easy,

Thanks for the great review
    So are you going to trade in your car and buy the new one??

Quote:
    cdixon said:
    The bluetooth works in both HFP and SAP mode. Basically SIM Access Profile (SAP) is supported by some Nokia phones and when hoked up to the PCM uses the cars mobile radio equipment. Other phones use HFP (Hands Free Profile) and thus the PCM operates as a simple bluetooth phone kit.....

A question nobody managed to answer for me at the OPC. Maybe you had this clarified during your visit:
    The SAP profile works only with option 666 "telephone module" which at present covers only 6 Nokia models.
    Option 619 "mobile phone preparation" works only with HFP and it covers a much greater number of phones including the 6 Nokia models above.
    Do you know if option 666 that supports SAP also covers HFP so that it could be used with a number of phones, that don't support SAP, as a hands free device only, or are the two options mutually exclusive?
    Thanks!

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Excellent report Easy!

PDK impressions mirrors the one from my Motorpresse friend and me.

Even in manual there is NO total driver control. It is also more complicated in Sport or Sport Plus manual modes since PDK AI will override your manual gearchanage input if it feels that you are doing something wrong(eg not like your gearchange tactics)...

PDK test drive is a must before order IMHO.

When I drove the manual 997.2 S I noticed that the gear change and mostly the clutch action were much improved compared to 997.1. Do you have any info on changes in these areas?

There are some chaanges in gearlever connection to the gearbox(manual) and clutch as well. I will ask my source for specifics.

BTW, did you drive manual with Short shifter or standard one?

I had missed this thread! Easy, you should have posted your impressions in a new seperate thread so it was more visible

Great job, thaks for your impressions!

While I haven't tried the MKII-PDK (yet) but I think my impressions will be very similar.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    There are some chaanges in gearlever connection to the gearbox(manual) and clutch as well. I will ask my source for specifics.

BTW, did you drive manual with Short shifter or standard one?

It was standard but still very firm and precise feel. The throw was reasonably short but obviously with the short shift it will be even better.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    cdixon said:
    The bluetooth works in both HFP and SAP mode. Basically SIM Access Profile (SAP) is supported by some Nokia phones and when hoked up to the PCM uses the cars mobile radio equipment. Other phones use HFP (Hands Free Profile) and thus the PCM operates as a simple bluetooth phone kit.....

A question nobody managed to answer for me at the OPC. Maybe you had this clarified during your visit:
    The SAP profile works only with option 666 "telephone module" which at present covers only 6 Nokia models.
    Option 619 "mobile phone preparation" works only with HFP and it covers a much greater number of phones including the 6 Nokia models above.
    Do you know if option 666 that supports SAP also covers HFP so that it could be used with a number of phones, that don't support SAP, as a hands free device only, or are the two options mutually exclusive?
    Thanks!

Correct option 666 is the one that does SAP and is only supported on a few mobiles from Nokia. The other options are just HFP. They gave me the impression that option 666 will also do HFP, however they did not have a phone to give me a demo. I did not have my Blackberry with me but they assured me that it would work as HFP with option 666.

NOTE TO THOSE GOING SOON ON THIS EVENT.... TAKE A MOBILE AND TRY TO GET THEM TO BLUETOOTH PAIR IT WITH A CAR THAT HAS OPTION 666 !!!!

Also what i found interesting is that in the UK they only seem to offer option 666 (at least when i did the spec for my car)

OMG ! what a thourough report !

thank you so much easy rider

you were a great help ! lots of interesting info !

Quote:
    cdixon said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    cdixon said:

Thanks!

Correct option 666 is the one that does SAP and is only supported on a few mobiles from Nokia. The other options are just HFP. They gave me the impression that option 666 will also do HFP, however they did not have a phone to give me a demo. I did not have my Blackberry with me but they assured me that it would work as HFP with option 666.

Thanks for your reply and info!

On the other hand, if 666 covered both SAP phones and HFP-only phones why would they offer option 619?
    The price difference between the two options is negligible (with 619 slightly more expensive in fact), so it is not as if 619 is offered as a cheaper, lower option.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    cdixon said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    cdixon said:

Thanks!

On the other hand, if 666 covered both SAP phones and HFP-only phones why would they offer option 619?
    The price difference between the two options is negligible (with 619 slightly more expensive in fact), so it is not as if 619 is offered as a cheaper, lower option.

Interesting that 619 is more expensive.... 666 is a full blown phone not just a hands free kit, so i don't get that pricing policy

Quote:
    Joost said:
    Thanks for the report Easy!
    Seems like the PDK is the successor of the Tiptronic indeed; not for the track driving, purely a replacement for an auto tranny.
    -Joost-

Firtly thanks for the report and thanks for staying up till the wee hours to upload it! Most enjoyable.

Joost - Ive no idea how you conclude that PDK is a replacement for an auto tranny. I think you are being very narrow minded here.

All I will say is that sequention gearboxes take some time to get used to and some time before your driving style adapts to get the full benefit. I owed two BMW M3 SMG's before the 997 and I too was unsure after the first test drive. Still I took the gamble that I sensed it could be better and after a few weeks I was converted. So much so that I would not have bought the 2nd M3 without it, it is that good when you get used to it.

Please please lets have no more luddites posting proganda about sequential gearboxes being just automatics until you have had chance to try one - and chance to try one long term! If you had driven one long term you would know, sequentials are not autos and they are not manuals either, they are a seperate product with their own charactistics.

You may not like them, thats fine, but to classify them as one or the other is simply ignorance.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    After lunch and having a brief look round the Centre, we headed up to the roof. There are fine views from there over the Porsche tracks and in the other direction towards the Silverstone F1 GP circuit (which you can see from this photo):

Hey mate just noticed my car in the car park so we were there at the same time... shame we missed each other...

Quote:
    cdixon said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    cdixon said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    cdixon said:

Thanks!

Interesting that 619 is more expensive.... 666 is a full blown phone not just a hands free kit, so i don't get that pricing policy

I apologise I was wrong Option 666 is 785 Euro, Option 619 is 654 Euro.
    But still the difference is negligible if Option 666 does all that Option 619 does and more, according to what they told you!

so if I want the ability to use a bluetooth on my IPHONE in the 997 MK2, i'd have to order WHAT option exactly ?

and can i use my iphone as IPOD and as PHONE at the same time ? (and that option is universal connector for sound, right ?)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803632 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448658 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266252 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90135 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6685 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885958 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833708 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM