Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

First Drive - car magazine

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Sear...&R=EPI-6199

seems like he likes the PDK but would go for the manual because of the control mechanism.

Gives it 5* for everything - wow!

Re: First Drive - car magazine

they wrote paddles ...... but it's called puddles !

shame porsche dont offer an alternative puddle set up as an option, trust it wont be long before post market mods are available. otherwise encouraging review!

What is going on? I am still waiting for a proper driving story. All these articles are merely wrapping up the technical details in more text. I think they didn't actually drive the thing because they have press photos, not their own.

While the car itself is a superb update on the existing model, I don't think much of this review. For a "first drive" article, he hardly talks about how it is like to drive it. Instead, he focusses more on the technical specs and new features.

Plus it's written in a pedestrian, mediocre style - like being told about it in a pub conversation over a pint of beer by an uneducated plodder rather than an expert.

No doubt, there will be far, far better articles on Mk2 than this. He didn't even get the new bhp figures correct. It's 345bhp and 385bhp not 340bhp and 375bhp. Very sloppy journalism

I could have written something far better than this myself. After test driving the Mk2 on 8 July at the Porsche Driving Experience Centre in Silverstone, I'll post my own first impressions here on Rennteam. Hopefully, they'll be more illuminating than this.

They say it is the best DSG gearbox they have tried, but will get manual because of the puddles. That says it all.

Yeah, you know how it is. We as Porsche fans and owners know more about the car than the people who sold one to us, so what can we expect of journalists?

There are exceptions, of course, but this article is clearly something that was put together only to get the page views up.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    While the car itself is a superb update on the existing model, I don't think much of this review. For a "first drive" article, he hardly talks about how it is like to drive it. Instead, he focusses more on the technical specs and new features.

Plus it's written in a pedestrian, mediocre style - like being told about it in a pub conversation over a pint of beer by an uneducated plodder rather than an expert.

No doubt, there will be far, far better articles on Mk2 than this. He didn't even get the new bhp figures correct. It's 345bhp and 385bhp not 340bhp and 375bhp. Very sloppy journalism

I could have written something far better than this myself. After test driving the Mk2 on 8 July at the Porsche Driving Experience Centre in Silverstone, I'll post my own first impressions here on Rennteam. Hopefully, they'll be more illuminating than this.

Spot on! That's why I stopped counting on magazine opinions long time ago. And also don't forget that they all have an agenda based on their advertising revenues.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    They say it is the best DSG gearbox they have tried, but will get manual because of the puddles. That says it all.

I find this paddle issue very exggerated to say the least.
    I am sure that after a very short period of time that an owner uses the porsche system, it will become second nature to him and very convenient. So much that if he goes into a car with the right +, left - system he will find it unnatural.
    May be journalists are not so clever to acclimatise easily.
    It is a big compliment for Porsche if this is the only negative point they could find in the new car.

Don't like this part about PDK:

"It's being introduced as a faster-shifting, more economical and more responsive replacement for the old five-speed Tiptronic, but Porsche engineers confided that it could completely replace the six-speed manual on Porsches within five years."

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Hi Easy,

I'm sure you can write a better review than this and I'm waiting for your write-up about the car after your Silverstone experience; especially about the increased hp, PDK and PASM chassie.

Quote:
    pride355 said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Hi Easy,

I'm sure you can write a better review than this and I'm waiting for your write-up about the car after your Silverstone experience; especially about the increased hp, PDK and PASM chassie.

+1

Autocar feature is the first driving impression text I've read so far. Now let's check what Harris is up to at DR.

Quote:
    Grant said:

"It's being introduced as a faster-shifting, more economical and more responsive replacement for the old five-speed Tiptronic, but Porsche engineers confided that it could completely replace the six-speed manual on Porsches within five years."

Translated into english this is saying "PDK is the same as BMW's SMG 1 and Ferrari's F1 in the F355, and you'll have to wait 5 more years until you get a gearbox to rave about".

Quote:
    boytronic said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

Translated into english this is saying "PDK is the same as BMW's SMG 1 and Ferrari's F1 in the F355, and you'll have to wait 5 more years until you get a gearbox to rave about".

I read it to mean that in 5 yrs., they will take away the choice to have a manual 3-pedal car (unlike BMW & Ferrari who still offer them, for now)...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    boytronic said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

I read it to mean that in 5 yrs., they will take away the choice to have a manual 3-pedal car (unlike BMW & Ferrari who still offer them, for now)...

I realy hope its not going to happen!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:...it's written in a pedestrian, mediocre style - like being told about it in a pub conversation over a pint of beer by an uneducated plodder rather than an expert.

You are on!

Don't know whether or not it will actually replace the manual transmission, but I guess I would like it, especially at a track with a lot of sharp, and close, turns.

Given the current economic environment, I think it will take longer than 5 years before Porsche would even attempt to phase out the manual transmission. It might be phased out then if they can show that the PDK drastically reduces any pollutants.

Jim

Quote:
    reginos said:
    I find this paddle issue very exggerated to say the least.
    I am sure that after a very short period of time that an owner uses the porsche system, it will become second nature to him and very convenient. So much that if he goes into a car with the right +, left - system he will find it unnatural.
    May be journalists are not so clever to acclimatise easily.
    It is a big compliment for Porsche if this is the only negative point they could find in the new car.

You are spot on. This is a user interface (UI) issue, and the reaction of (some) against it, reflects the trait that (most) humans exhibit against learning and adapting to anything outside their limited comfort zone.

These are people who quibble against this nonsense, when they tacitly accept the only car with ignition on the left side and the engine hanging out from the rear axle.

I would agree with you. I tend to be the type that is hesitant to try something new, but many times, I have found that once I try something (and if I have a genuine reason to change to something new), I find that the change was worthwhile.

I suspect it might be the same for the "thumb buttons," but maybe Porsche should offer an option of paddles. Unless the paddle concept is patented (which I doubt), Porsche could offer it as an option, too.

Jim

Quote:
    [ reflects the trait that (most) humans exhibit against learning and adapting to anything outside their limited comfort zone.

That may be true, but that trait leads to de-facto standards which ultimately benefit everyone. Is there anything wrong with the 3 pedal layout, or the Querty keyboard. People don't have time to learn new systems that don't offer an obvious new benefit or improvement. Look at BMW's iDrive for a bad example and the iPod for a good example of interface design that requires no learning and is instantly superior to what has gone before..

If "puddles" were really a better solution then why did Porsche not adopt them for Tiptronic? Surely making that one change on what was mature technology would have been a smart move if the puddle shifter system really was better. Why has no other manufacturer adopted them before? After all Porsche is a good 5 years unfashionably late to this party, so that can't be the reason for doing it differently.

I still believe it's marketing being different for the sake of it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803279 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448591 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266152 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90082 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6624 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885756 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833348 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM