Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

"Break In" miles question

I know this has probably been discussed over and over, but I am wondering if anyone truly adheres to the Porsche "break in" miles issue? I have owned at least 10 or so of their cars, and have been told by the dealer and many of their people to drive the car just like I would at any time or style. I generally drive em like I stole em. So who does what?

Re: "Break In" miles question

warm up oil nicely and then....

I am in my break in period - at nearly 1400 miles now. I am breaking it in according to the manual (not more than 4200 rpm for first 2000 miles). I have, accidently, gone over alittle bit a few times (ooops). :-)

Quote:
    MsGreta said:
    I am in my break in period - at nearly 1400 miles now. I am breaking it in according to the manual (not more than 4200 rpm for first 2000 miles). I have, accidently, gone over alittle bit a few times (ooops). :-)

I redline every manual within 2 miles of delivery, and to max redline or rpm allowed on the 3 997TT Tips I have had. Oops again. The dealer is emphatic that Porsche races these engines day one out of the box, and we should be no different. Wow.

Quote:
    cc08gt2 said:
    I redline every manual within 2 miles of delivery, and to max redline or rpm allowed on the 3 997TT Tips I have had. Oops again. The dealer is emphatic that Porsche races these engines day one out of the box, and we should be no different. Wow.

It will not have warmed up properly within 2 miles - this is NOT good.
    The engines are full power tested on the bench at the factory so warm them up properly and let rip - 2000miles at below 4200rpm is a ridiculous torture you are self imposing and completely uneccessary...

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    cc08gt2 said:

The engines are full power tested on the bench at the factory so warm them up properly and let rip - 2000miles at below 4200rpm is a ridiculous torture you are self imposing and completely uneccessary...

The procedure described in the manual is not a break-in for the car, it is for the driver . Everybody knows that.
    The car is ready as soon as it leaves the factory.

Here's the reason mileage has been changed to 2000 miles. It's an arbitrary number so fewer people freak out about oil consumption; it's not about long term new engine health. BTW, breakin is different in other countries, yet engines are the same. Following article (sorry 4 crummy scan) from the "bible" Excellence magazine.

Now get ready for the protests of fundamentalist "Porsche-is-the-only-rule-I-follow" break-in believers (usually newbie hot-car buyers) They usually discredit this article by saying the author and his friend are losers even though Excellence is the most trusted and most highly regarded independent car mag devoted exclusively to Porsche.

No flames please. Just do what you want it's _your_ car.

I'd prsonally recommend you worry MOST about the first 200 miles: make sure you shift gears etc to vary engine speed every five minutes for piston rings' seating properly (avoid redline, IOW defintely do it frequently but vary engine speed _gently_, NOT like a race is being run). Can't hurt: that's for sure.

Quote:
    AAHTT said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    cc08gt2 said:

The procedure described in the manual is not a break-in for the car, it is for the driver . Everybody knows that.
    The car is ready as soon as it leaves the factory.

I second that...

What is the definition of "warm up the motor properly"???
    How about turning on the car and punching the gas 2 or 3 times hard? Everyone needs to hear and know what you are driving.

Quote:
    cc08gt2 said:
    How about turning on the car and punching the gas 2 or 3 times hard? Everyone needs to hear and know what you are driving.

Punching the gas 2 or 3 times with zero load and keeping the "punch" under 4000rpm is OK in my book in fact if you have a cammy 911 engine you have to do this somewhat to keep the thing from stalling - As for full load and going over 4000rpm I always wait until the oil thermostat opens signalled by the oil temp gauge, actually I wait a little longer usually but if you do journeys of 10 miles + at a time it isn't much of an issue to wait a couple of extra minutes until the oil temp has stabilised.

Quote:
    cc08gt2 said:

All fluids need to be at operating temps. With that said, your oil needs to be at least 180 degrees F before any hard acceleration and/or high rpms. Throttle and revs can be increased progressively, but personally I would not hit the second half of the go pedal or last third of tach until that temp is reached. By the time the oil gets to 180 F, the rest of the fluids will be at their operating temps.

I would not "punch" the throttle hard immediately after starting an engine; cold or not. Everyone can know what you're driving after she warms up .

MMD,
    Thanks for the read. I typically break in my engines according to the manual, but don't baby them either. Anyway, articles like this make me re-think this. I have to agree that this does make sense.

Quote:
    cc08gt2 said:

Can mean lots of things depending on anxiety and maturity level of driver. (kidding)

Means first and foremost _OIL_ temp is where it should be (approx 175F/80C).

Quote:
    devo said:
    MMD,
    Thanks for the read. I typically break in my engines according to the manual, but don't baby them either. Anyway, articles like this make me re-think this. I have to agree that this does make sense.

There's a few guys like us around these parts.

I made up my own program based on what people were saying here.

_Oil_ temp always to op temp.

Compulsive, extremely frequent but gentle varied engine speed for first 200miles. 4500 max.

4500 max rpm for first 500 miles. Extremely infrequent stomping on gas.

5500 max rpm up to 1000 miles. A small number if instances of redline "work" now and then when I couldn't stand it anymore. Avoided stomping on gas.

Full red line whenever the urge hit me after it turned past 1500 miles. Gradual total disregard for gas pedal stompage.

Thanks for some comments. I guess I should calm down a little. Actually it is too late, but I can calm down a little more longer before stomping the gas. When you have one of these, it is impossible to not stomp all the time.

I followed the break in rule their test driver provided to me at Zuffenhausen. Louis told me to keep it under 5200 rpm for the first 2K miles, and then go for it. I frequently redline. When I hit 25,000 miles my oil consumption went way down. It has been 1 quart per thousand. The jury's not back yet, however.

dan

Hi,

seems that there must be different advice on where the cars are delivered to in the world. The manual for the Middle East talks about 3000 Km's (1850 miles) but no mention of RPM limits.

Is that 4200 RPM in the manual you have Greta. Just curious.

I am letting the car get nicely warmed up, which happens fairly quickly here in Dubai, then try and avoid anything more than 5000 RPM.

Rgds.

Rgds.

I'm taking delivery of my 997TT this month, as the second owner. The original owner put on about 1000 miles. When I have the dealer do the PPI will I get any kind of record of what kind of driving the first owner did re breaking in the car?I am assuming I will continue with varied rpms and trying to keep away from the red line for awhile. And, I've heard it's a good idea for an oil change at 2k miles (which should be just about track time). I am having the car delivered across country so I haven't yet driven it (can't wait!).
    Thanks in advance.
    C.

Quote:
    khaosai said:
    Hi,

seems that there must be different advice on where the cars are delivered to in the world. The manual for the Middle East talks about 3000 Km's (1850 miles) but no mention of RPM limits.

Is that 4200 RPM in the manual you have Greta. Just curious.

I am letting the car get nicely warmed up, which happens fairly quickly here in Dubai, then try and avoid anything more than 5000 RPM.

Rgds.

Rgds.

And this is why this is ridiculous. It would carry a lot more weight if porsche had break in "hints" (which is what they call them, BTW) that were the same for the whole world.

I guess an engine breaks in differently in the US than in some other country

Quote:
    chrisNY said:

And this is why this is ridiculous. It would carry a lot more weight if porsche had break in "hints" (which is what they call them, BTW) that were the same for the whole world.

I guess an engine breaks in differently in the US than in some other country

Egg Zak Lee !

Can somebody provide actual documentation of these differences so staunch "go-by-the-book" guys in the USA will be _silenced_? (God bless them).

Sudden change from break in to track

My 07 TT will arrive this week (can I finally get some sleep, or does it get worse?) and is about 1/2 way through the "official" break in period. I have couple of weeks before my next track time (1 day event) and can put on another 500 or so miles with a couple of weekend road trips.
    But, I'm wonder about the sudden transition from break in driving to track driving with such low mileage. Any comments from experienced members re sudden increase in engine stress? Of course, I'd throw in an oil change.
    Thanks in advance!

Re: Sudden change from break in to track

Manual sez the following below. So I guess you're fine.

OTOH, I might play it safe and forget my next track event. For just a few hours of fun you might have years of fear, doubt and possible regret (premature engine trouble?).

Simple risk / benefit analysis.

Now if my life depended on it... .

or whatever since somewherei think it says that participation in motorsports events voids everything....would that include the 24hrs @ the ring??

I think Porsche says most anything voids the warranty. They have yet to not come thru on any warranty claim I have had or anyone else at the dealer I buy from. Some people have blatantly ignored break-in, track time, etc and still been taken care of.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803338 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448602 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266170 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90085 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6641 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885782 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833392 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM