Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

GT-R does 7.29 at 'ring

Very impressive. Official Nissan claim with stock car.

Pistonheads link

Re: GT-R does 7.29 at 'ring

The rumoured new suspension setting (stock from now on) put into practice.

Till starts of EU sales GT-R Ring time will be lowered to 7.10min...

Quote:
    njw said:
    Very impressive. Official Nissan claim with stock car.

Pistonheads link

Extremely impressive, and acheived with stock tyres and all the weight.
    People may may not like the looks of the car but that should not detract form the
    GT-R's achievement.

No GT-R sales in EU!

The EU Commission is seriously thinking of banning the GT-R from the EU.
    With this car Nissan will drive all the pseudosportscar European manufacturers from Germany and Italy out of business. The European car industry is threatened into decline and thousands of workers could face lay-offs because of this Japanese marvel of affordable high-technology. And it will not only be Ferraris,Porsches,AMGs and BMW M-cars that will affected. The halo effect from this car will convince thousands of european pensioners and low income families to buy the latest Nissan products like Tiida, Note and Micra instead of the equivalent cars from VW, Renault, PSA or Fiat. The economic turmoil will be so catastrophic that the EU Commision are already discussing very seriously to ban this car. The Japan vs. EU war is just beginning.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Till starts of EU sales GT-R Ring time will be lowered to 7.10min...

.....in reverse

@ Reginos:
    If I recall correctly Nissan claimed a Ring record at the late eighties (1989 ?) for the (then) newest Skyline (I think it was 8:20). I can't recall any hype about it but then I didn't surf the net in 1989

Yes, a "magic suspension setting" worth almost 10 seconds on the NRing being found after thousands of mile of track testing. The exhaust fumes are so clean as to be able to cure emphysema also, and drinking some of the spent oil reverses aging. A single GTR will be shipped to China to reverse all the excess carbon production from the manufacturing industry.

Suspension settings and a warmer dryer track could account for nine seconds.

Whatever the official SA time turns out to be in 2009, one thing seems certain: The GTR is going to be overtaking a lot of 911s on the Ring - possibly even the GT2.

But with Porsche dispatched, I suspect Nissan is now more concerned about the Lexus LF-A beating their Ring time.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    Yes, a "magic suspension setting" worth almost 10 seconds on the NRing being found after thousands of mile of track testing. The exhaust fumes are so clean as to be able to cure emphysema also, and drinking some of the spent oil reverses aging. A single GTR will be shipped to China to reverse all the excess carbon production from the manufacturing industry.

Agreed. Sounds weird. They have been testing this setting for a pretty long time actually, just wasnt made public.

Quote:
    eclou said:

Eclou, I read your sceptism on 6bling, I'm glad you posted here
    Do you really think that it is all hype and categorically 7.29s it not going to be achieved when Von Sauma gets to do the Supertest ? Maybe I am a bit naive but the engineering specs on the car DOES seem to add up to this sort of performance IMO

Clarkson about the the Skyline R32
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hPa2KEB4Sg

And listen to what they have to say about the R33
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWqWuRcrLuc

So why are people so surprised by the new GT-R all of a sudden?

Here are the time attacks from the R32 and R33 on the Nurburgring
    http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=179714081991319108
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ua_wcOnPkxk#

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    eclou said:

Eclou, I read your sceptism on 6bling, I'm glad you posted here
    Do you really think that it is all hype and categorically 7.29s it not going to be achieved when Von Sauma gets to do the Supertest ? Maybe I am a bit naive but the engineering specs on the car DOES seem to add up to this sort of performance IMO

Tobey, if it is a 7:50 car it is still a performance bargain. I just think this 7:29 is very far fetched and timed correctly to take attention away from the tranny failures that are occurring in low mile cars.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    Tobey, if it is a 7:50 car it is still a performance bargain. I just think this 7:29 is very far fetched and timed correctly to take attention away from the tranny failures that are occurring in low mile cars.

You really do think it is BS don't you ? Have Nissan got a history of doing this sort of thing ? I can't see where your grounds for sceptism are coming from ?
    How many trannies have broken, I only read about the one from the tuner ?

Tobey, it is from you I have learned to be skeptical of manufacturer claims vs real world testing! I am just the pupil. Here is the report of a 600km stock Aussie GTR with only 2nd & 3rd gears functioning, being shipped back to Japan!

They did this on standard tires? If i recall I was excoriated by most if not all this board when I claimed that tires would not make the difference you all claimed. What is your position now?

Let me guess. Standard tires to Japanese are racing tires.

I really get tired of bullheadedness.

Yes I saw that report, he is on the UK forum asking for code readers and the like. I also heard one of the Jap tuners had "found the limit" of torque !
    The "vigour" of your sceptism made me think you had an inside line or a lot of experience with Japanese manufacturer claims ?
    I have simply read all the engineering detail which can be found online and been exceptionally impressed with the whole concept and application - of course it could all be BS as you suspect but that would be a rather large amount of egg on their faces !
    Time will tell......

Guys,

We have a 88 page 911 facelift thread already let's not create another one on GT-R please .

I don't really want to believe this because its just not right in some ways. Its justs messes up the order of the universe that were so use to and makes us go "wait thats shouldn't happen". I want a video of the lap time posted immediately confirmed by NASA scientist or something. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

If the car really is that fast, it will definitely be worth every penny and give euro manufacturers something to think about. However, I doubt it. Just doesn't seem right with all that weight and average power.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    They did this on standard tires? If i recall I was excoriated by most if not all this board when I claimed that tires would not make the difference you all claimed. What is your position now?

My understanding is the the Bridgestone tires on the GT-R were a priniciple part of its development and hundreds of compounds and tread patterns were tested before selecting the final version. It's not a simple off-the-shelf tire. It's a VERY high performance tire with a short lifespan (soft tread), although they are runflats...

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    eclou said:

You really do think it is BS don't you ? Have Nissan got a history of doing this sort of thing ? I can't see where your grounds for sceptism are coming from ?
    How many trannies have broken, I only read about the one from the tuner ?

I've seen one dyno test on a new GT-R and it made 480hp alright - at the rear wheels! So this means they are lying about the actual HP the car is making. If you take the typical 15% driveline loss the car is actually putting out over 560hp. That's why I am skeptical about the times.
    Also, 3850lbs with 560hp does not make me think it's going to be faster than a 3100lb car with 605hp (CGT).
    I'll reserve my awe for this car once the German magazines get it on the track for timed laps.

Is this for real?? are some people believing this CGT/GT2/ZondaF neighborhood lap time claimed by Nissan??? seriously or are we being sarcastic here??

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Is this for real?? are some people believing this CGT/GT2/ZondaF neighborhood lap time claimed by Nissan??? seriously or are we being sarcastic here??

Carlos - You're probably right to be suspicious of the claimed times, but wouldn't it do more harm than good if the Nissan claims are later revealed to be total fiction?

I remember when we went through this with the Z06. I don't remember the claims and the results, but didn't the claims turn out to be more or less true?

I think it would be pretty damaging (and cause legal liability) if a manufacturer was found to be outright lying about this stuff...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

My understanding is the the Bridgestone tires on the GT-R were a priniciple part of its development and hundreds of compounds and tread patterns were tested before selecting the final version. It's not a simple off-the-shelf tire. It's a VERY high performance tire with a short lifespan (soft tread), although they are runflats...

Grant correct me if I am wrong but did not the GT2 have special tires developed for it as well as the CGT, and 599?

Nevertheless, the 7.29 is somewhat hard to believe. It has never been clear to me as to whether these Ring times are from a stopped start or running start. Or do different manufacturers use different approaches?

I don't think so because the "general" public doesn't ussually find out, we have been witness to many factory claims that turned out that one way or the other were either not comparable or exagerated (M5, AMV8, NSX-R, C6, Z06, ect they all did it and lately more and more manufacturers) but by the time SportAuto tests it following their standards, the publicity on the media was done.

Also, they don't have to be lying, just not performing the test under the same standards as what we generally use for reference, ex SportAuto times (same leght, production engine, street setup, tires, no corrected times for overtaking, etc etc). There is no "regulated standard" for lap times so no responsability in claiming what ever they want.

Factory claims of the Nring of ANY maker is for dummies, but this 7,29, is going to far, its an insult to anybodies intelligence.

Quote:
    nberry said:Nevertheless, the 7.29 is somewhat hard to believe. It has never been clear to me as to whether these Ring times are from a stopped start or running start. Or do different manufacturers use different approaches?

Exactly, they all use different aproaches because there is no norm, and since Nring lap times have a strong marketing effect nowadays, they are under pressure to release a favorable time. Factory times are nothing more than an infomertial, can you blame them? not really, but what is cuestionable is that people would believe them. Some times more than others... 7:29? thats just plain physics 101

The closest thing to a standarised test is SportAuto and even then you can't compare their lap times outright you have to take into account several factor to be able to take them into perspective for comparison purposes, becuase track conditions and tires due vary from car to car and are independant of the car's actual performace at the ring.

However the effect of a running start vs standing start would not be a factor here because SportAuto uses running starts already, so they can't improve over that aspect.

Quote:
    nberry said:Grant correct me if I am wrong but did not the GT2 have special tires developed for it as well as the CGT, and 599?

I think the CGT uses regular Michelin PS2 (not Cups), but GT2 uses Cups and I don't know about the 599...

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Exactly, they all use different aproaches because there is no norm, and since Nring lap times have a strong marketing effect nowadays, they are under pressure to release a favorable time. Factory times are nothing more than an infomertial, can you blame them? not really, but what is cuestionable is that people would believe them. Some times more than others... 7:29? thats just plain physics 101

The closest thing to a standarised test is SportAuto and even then you can't compare their lap times outright you have to take into account several factor to be able to take them into perspective for comparison purposes, becuase track conditions and tires due vary from car to car and are independant of the car's actual performace at the ring.

However the effect of a running start vs standing start would not be a factor here because SportAuto uses running starts already, so they can't improve over that aspect.

If you watch the videos of the time attacks on the NBR I posted (some are from the early 90's) you'll see that they are using the same procedures for many years now.

Also,Nissan is not defying physiscs for the first time.Look at some of the videos I posted.
    Their comments about the old Skylines are identical to the comments that are now made about the new GT-R.

Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

If you watch the videos of the time attacks on the NBR I posted (some are from the early 90's) you'll see that they are using the same procedures for many years now.

Also,Nissan is not defying physiscs for the first time.Look at some of the videos I posted.
    Their comments about the old Skylines are identical to the comments that are now made about the new GT-R.

Walter, I have said the same thing a few times. Those of us who were exposed to R32,R33 and R34 are not surprised at all. I have a friend with a R34 GTR (ok so it's modded) that will blow the doors off any GT2!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804110 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448750 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266371 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90173 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6766 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886101 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834576 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM