Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New Here - Porsche Lover - Gathering Info

See, my deal is that I don't drive my 997S every day... So each time I take it out, it thrills me like brand-new again... If I drive it daily for a month or two, I start finding myself wishing for 100 ft lbs more torque, and wonder aloud if I could sacrifice its super-model looks for the more garish and busy Turbo....

But then I park it, and the next time I get 'round to her I'm happy again (for awhile...)..

And let's face it, I'm spoiled when it comes to power. The 997S is a damn fast car compared to the cars we thought were fast just 10 years ago... I do get used to it, but it's still a joy, and I love it.

With cars, you've got the advantage that you can be a total scoundrel your entire life, changing mistresses at your slightest whim...

When it comes to cars, I'm a polygamist I suppose...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    . The 997S is a damn fast car compared to the cars we thought were fast just 10 years ago... I do get used to it, but it's still a joy, and I love it.

Egg-sak-tilly!

I love/loved every performance car or sports sedan I owned

Sure I have criticisms of each and every one. That's 50 or 60% of the car talk I hear in real life. I suppose it makes us feel like we know something mfgrs don't.

One of the best threads in a long time (by my rear engine buds), great posts by all but especially by the bossman and moogle.

To Thankful - Have I got the deal for you.

Porsche hand built quality and engineering, more power than you'll ever need thru add-ons, and ultra rarity.

Get yourself a 928 S4 with a murf supercharger, big reds, and 18 x 11's in back.

25K outlay, performance of a GT2, none of those pesky electronic drivers aids to hamper your enjoyment, and timeless exotic looks. All that and with the right custom exhaust the best sound ever.

997 series is awesome but Porsche should be producing the 928 again to the capability that is being done by privateers. Brutal power in an elegant package.

Trust me ... the car is more capable than you!!
    An enjoyable car to drive!

Suggest that you consider signing-up and attending the Porsche Sport Driving School (PDE) located in Birmingham, Alabama
    Click Here PSDS
    A GREAT program
    Best Test Drive that you can do and any questions about the capabilities of the car will be answered!

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Porsche should be producing the 928 again to the capability that is being done by privateers. Brutal power in an elegant package.

Did you say 928? In it's time it was a looker IMO. BTW, it's rear looks even nicer than today:

Well - I went out and took a test drive of a 997S today, and I was pleasantly surprised. It did have good power - more than I thought it was going to have. The car felt really good.

I do think it has good power - and I drove it a bit - but feel I need to drive it a little more to really see if I LOVE it.

I had a good chance to push the car a bit - and did. I do believe the car has good power - but I'm not totally sure that it will have everything that I want...

Could be wrong...

Now as I was at the dealer - I was able to talk to someone that really knew what was coming down the pipe - and since I would have to order my car - (due to the fact that I would like certain things) he told me about the new 997 Facelift car thats coming very soon.

I was able to put down a deposit if I wanted - to secure one of the first ones that are coming (on sale in September.)

The great thing about the new car - is I was able to see what it's going to come with - which is a lot of nice new features for sure!

One is 385HP, which I think may be just what I need.

Not to mention - some minor bolt ons - and I could have the car I am looking for.

Overall - I have learned a lot these last few days. I have everything in the world to read on the cars - which is a lot of fun.

And you guys - have been GREAT!

Things are looking good!

Quote:
    thankful said:

Things are looking good!

Yup! Sounds good to me!

Once that deposit is made you can and must relax so the virus can incubate soon to re-emerge as severe waiteritis.

BTW, even after your order has been placed you have until a certain date to change your order, afterwhich no changes can be made. Make sure you get that drop dead date from your sales-monkey.

wellcome ro rennteam.

I think that you must take a test drive. I went straight for the carrera S but knew what to expect from the car.
    With porsche you have to understand that its all about handling. Do not look at Hp only. Look rather at Hp/weight ratio!

Nothing corners like porsche and I must admit that as Porsche Jeck says that you may take a test drive for the boxter.

Talk to you soon!

Thanks for the feedback.

For me - I need a backseat. I have a 4 year old little Girl - and she runs around with me... So - I need a backseat.

So that comes down to the CS and Turbo model - both great picks.

I totally get what your saying about the whole HP - and cornering thoughts.

But for me - Performance is a big thing. Power is a big thing for sure... So I need to take care of my desire there - for sure....

I more than likely will never take this car on the track. I will however create my own track to and from work every day - and that's what I'm looking forward to the most.

So I want the power on tap - incase I ever want to put the hammer down - and spank someone next to me on the highway....

Thats just the hard cold facts of it for me.

Plus - when I'm looking at a 100K dollar car.

I want to feel like I am getting all of it - each time I drive it!

I believe a Porsche will give me this satisfaction.... Just looking at everything!

Here are my 2cents: if you never owned a Porsche, the 997 Carrera S is just the right car for you. DO NOT get a 996!
    Also DO NOT get the Turbo(yet), you need to get acustomed to the 911 "idea" before you jump up onto the Turbo wagon.
    The 997 Carrera S is a very quick car and it is a lot of fun to drive and this comes from somebody who drives a 997 Turbo and who switched from a 996 Turbo RS-Tuning(heavily tuned) to a 997 Carrera S.

You may want to wait for the facelift(this summer!) and get the updated 997 Carrera S with PDK, LSD and the updated Sport Chrono Plus package. You'll love this car, I promise!.
    When you know how to drive the 997 Carrera S, it is time to jump onto the Turbo wagon...or even the GT wagon. The Turbo may look like a GT to some people but it is a very dangerous car in the wrong hands.

As soon as you own a 997 Carrera S, you realize what I'm talking about. Also keep in mind that 385 HP in the facelifted Carrera S equal at least 50 HP more in a different car make and model. Some people are looking just at the power figure, HUGE mistake.

Enjoy and welcome to this great community and surprise, surprise...it is going to grow fast soon.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Here are my 2cents: if you never owned a Porsche, the 997 Carrera S is just the right car for you. DO NOT get a 996!
    Also DO NOT get the Turbo(yet), you need to get acustomed to the 911 "idea" before you jump up onto the Turbo wagon.
    The 997 Carrera S is a very quick car and it is a lot of fun to drive and this comes from somebody who drives a 997 Turbo and who switched from a 996 Turbo RS-Tuning(heavily tuned) to a 997 Carrera S.

You may want to wait for the facelift(this summer!) and get the updated 997 Carrera S with PDK, LSD and the updated Sport Chrono Plus package. You'll love this car, I promise!.
    When you know how to drive the 997 Carrera S, it is time to jump onto the Turbo wagon...or even the GT wagon. The Turbo may look like a GT to some people but it is a very dangerous car in the wrong hands.

As soon as you own a 997 Carrera S, you realize what I'm talking about. Also keep in mind that 385 HP in the facelifted Carrera S equal at least 50 HP more in a different car make and model. Some people are looking just at the power figure, HUGE mistake.

Enjoy and welcome to this great community and surprise, surprise...it is going to grow fast soon.

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!

Makes me feel better coming from a guy that has had a Turbo car - and now a CS.

I am definitely waiting for the facelift model for sure!

Need the extra power - and the new look!

Quick question -

PDK / LSD and Sport Chrono Package.

I know what the LSD is.

The PDK - Is that their performance package? Do you or anyone here have any more info this package?

And the Sport Chrono Package - what exactly does this come with and do?

I guess I can go to their site - or call the dealer - but thought I would start here first!.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

I have a 997 Turbo now...you may have misunderstood me.
    Yes, I switched from a 996 Turbo RS-Tuning to a 997 Carrera S with 20 mm sport suspension and LSD and I loved this car. Until the Turbo showed up. The Turbo is not something you want to begin with, especially since the Carrera delivers a better feel for that driving experience which makes the 911 so special.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I have a 997 Turbo now...you may have misunderstood me.
    Yes, I switched from a 996 Turbo RS-Tuning to a 997 Carrera S with 20 mm sport suspension and LSD and I loved this car. Until the Turbo showed up. The Turbo is not something you want to begin with, especially since the Carrera delivers a better feel for that driving experience which makes the 911 so special.

Ahhh - I got you.

Well it still does help. I am going to drive them a few more times.... I do think the extra power in the new facelift model will help a lot for me - to give me that extra little umph that I am looking for.

But I can tell you - the Turbo model definitely has me looking....

Quote:
    RC said:
    ... and surprise, surprise...it is going to grow fast soon.

hidden meaning?

Great post RC...this was my first Porsche too and I'm sure I made the right decision with the 997C2S...but a CAB!

Quick Question - which I know will toss up a whole world of road racing comments.

Just wanted to know what the 1/4 mile times are - on the CS2.

Thanks for your help...

Quote:
    Trundle_GT3 said:
    Trust me ... the car is more capable than you!!
    An enjoyable car to drive!

Suggest that you consider signing-up and attending the Porsche Sport Driving School (PDE) located in Birmingham, Alabama
    Click Here PSDS
    A GREAT program
    Best Test Drive that you can do and any questions about the capabilities of the car will be answered!

Yes, I'm with Trundle here!

Quote:
    thankful said:
    Quick Question - which I know will toss up a whole world of road racing comments.

Thanks for your help...

All the U.S. mags managed between 12.6 and 12.9, @ 110-112mph, depending on which mag you read...

I'm certain that ballpark is easily matched in real-life, although I've STILL yet to rip a few 1/4-mile passes off at my local track! (procrastination, it's what's for dinner...)

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    thankful said:

Thanks for your help...

All the U.S. mags managed between 12.6 and 12.9, @ 110-112mph, depending on which mag you read...

I'm certain that ballpark is easily matched in real-life, although I've STILL yet to rip a few 1/4-mile passes off at my local track! (procrastination, it's what's for dinner...)

Wow - I didn't realize they did it that fast!

I think I read that - but wasn't for sure.

So the new Facelift - with a little more power. I wonder what they will be able to get out of that car stock...

Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, they're a sub-13 second car in the right hands... A few advantages factor in, 1. Rear-engine layout affords amazing launch-traction, 2. Effective gearing is quite steep, and 3. As I said, that 355hp rating is a tad conservative..

The standard 400hp C6 Corvette 6.0L does the 1/4 at a faster trap-speed (112-114mph), but no quicker, due to the advantage the 911 holds at the line and with gearing.

But all this talk about 1/4 mile times... Are you SURE you want to spring the dough for a 997S???? Are you certain?

I keep on seeing all the signs that you're a bit of a power-freak (as am I...), and maybe a Z06 with all-leather would be the better overall car for you... Certainly it would blow the 997S into the weeds in a straight line...

I bought my 911 because I already have cars that satisfy my "power-jones", and I hankered for something that was "cut from finer cloth", that had all the DETAILS right, and that was more than just a point-and-shoot device.

So I LOVE my 997S... But if you don't really care about, or appreciate, the details and craftsmanship and engineering refinements.... Save your money, and buy a Z06, and you'll be happy as can be...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Oh yeah, they're a sub-13 second car in the right hands... A few advantages factor in, 1. Rear-engine layout affords amazing launch-traction, 2. Effective gearing is quite steep, and 3. As I said, that 355hp rating is a tad conservative..

The standard 400hp C6 Corvette 6.0L does the 1/4 at a faster trap-speed (112-114mph), but no quicker, due to the advantage the 911 holds at the line and with gearing.

But all this talk about 1/4 mile times... Are you SURE you want to spring the dough for a 997S???? Are you certain?

I keep on seeing all the signs that you're a bit of a power-freak (as am I...), and maybe a Z06 with all-leather would be the better overall car for you... Certainly it would blow the 997S into the weeds in a straight line...

I bought my 911 because I already have cars that satisfy my "power-jones", and I hankered for something that was "cut from finer cloth", that had all the DETAILS right, and that was more than just a point-and-shoot device.

So I LOVE my 997S... But if you don't really care about, or appreciate, the details and craftsmanship and engineering refinements.... Save your money, and buy a Z06, and you'll be happy as can be...

I hear what you are saying..... So let me try to clear a few things up...

1. - I need a backseat - so there goes a few cars there.

2. I have loved the Porsche for years. I'm a car guy and work in the industry - and appreciate what Porsche is. I'm finally able to look serious at them - and since I am, I want to make sure I get what I am paying for.

3. I am asking about power - and 1/4 mile times - more because I am looking for fun factor....

I want to have that smile on my face each time I press the pedal down and give it gas.... I want to enjoy the car - and have fun with it!

4. I know the Turbo model will do that for me - for sure.

Here's my only setback going there. I am not sure I need to jump into the Turbo car right away. I can pay for it - but not sure I have convinced myself that I need to do that.

I do think the CS2 will be great for me - especially with the new power. I'm sure I am going to do the bolt ons for some more power, which will be great.

5. I love the refinement. I love the history - and I love the attention to detail. Yes I can go get a bunch of other cars with some more power - but it would lack a lot of things that I do care about.

6. The "IT" factor... I can't lie - I want the "IT" factor and I believe Porsche gives me that for sure!

7. This has been a dream car of mine since a little boy....

So that's where I'm at....

Make sense?

Quote:
    thankful said:

Here's my only setback going there. I am not sure I need to jump into the Turbo car right away. I can pay for it - but not sure I have convinced myself that I need to do that.

I do think the CS2 will be great for me - especially with the new power. I'm sure I am going to do the bolt ons for some more power, which will be great.

If you believe that you want the turbo and can pay for it, I'd get it. If you plan to migrate from the 997S to the 997TT, you would also end up paying the large depreciation costs. For me, it would be approx $50K, in addition to the difference between the 997S and the 997TT (approx $40K). My 997S was approx $100K and the 997TT I specc'd would be approx $140K. So if 997TT is in your heart, go for it and "save" yourself the depreciation costs to upgrade..

Also, rarely does anybody mod the 997/997S. I don't even recall if the X51 was retrofittable. The turbo has much more potential to be mod'd.

Quote:
    thankful said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

I hear what you are saying..... So let me try to clear a few things up...

1. - I need a backseat - so there goes a few cars there.

2. I have loved the Porsche for years. I'm a car guy and work in the industry - and appreciate what Porsche is. I'm finally able to look serious at them - and since I am, I want to make sure I get what I am paying for.

3. I am asking about power - and 1/4 mile times - more because I am looking for fun factor....

I want to have that smile on my face each time I press the pedal down and give it gas.... I want to enjoy the car - and have fun with it!

5. I love the refinement. I love the history - and I love the attention to detail. Yes I can go get a bunch of other cars with some more power - but it would lack a lot of things that I do care about.

6. The "IT" factor... I can't lie - I want the "IT" factor and I believe Porsche gives me that for sure!

7. This has been a dream car of mine since a little boy....

So that's where I'm at....

Make sense?

Have you considered the new GT-R? It blows the Z06 and the 997TT on a straight-line and on a track, and it is far more advanced than either, tech-wise...

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    thankful said:

If you believe that you want the turbo and can pay for it, I'd get it. If you plan to migrate from the 997S to the 997TT, you would also end up paying the large depreciation costs. For me, it would be approx $50K, in addition to the difference between the 997S and the 997TT (approx $40K). My 997S was approx $100K and the 997TT I specc'd would be approx $140K. So if 997TT is in your heart, go for it and "save" yourself the depreciation costs to upgrade..

Also, rarely does anybody mod the 997/997S. I don't even recall if the X51 was retrofittable. The turbo has much more potential to be mod'd.

I completely hear what you're saying here.... I am going to look at both close.

If I do go with the 997S - I would do the typical header, exhaust etc.... that type of stuff...

Turbo - I would go nuts....

Going to look at them both for sure.

Have you considered the new GT-R? It blows the Z06 and the 997TT on a straight-line and on a track, and it is far more advanced than either, tech-wise...

Yes I have looked at this car... I am not thrilled by the looks overall - and I really want a manual tranny. I want to have fun with the car - and I want to feel it and shift it etc... I want to drop the clutch and have fun...

I don't like the paddle shifter idea for this car....

So.....

Quote:
    ADias said: Have you considered the new GT-R? It blows the Z06 and the 997TT on a straight-line and on a track, and it is far more advanced than either, tech-wise...

Let's face it.... Techno-geeks and fad-followers will go for the GT-R...

And I'm skeptical still about this "under-rated" car that will out-accelerate a 600-pound-lighter 505hp Z06... Sounds like factory-ringer hype in the magazine pool to me...

Let's wait for the production cars to get tested, and a few to show up at drag strips...

I remember when the last-generation Supra Turbos came out, and the cars that were given to magazines ran 13.20's at 108+ mph...

My best friend bought one, and I proceeded to obliterate him with my C4 6-speed Corvette... He wasn't pleased...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    ADias said: Have you considered the new GT-R? It blows the Z06 and the 997TT on a straight-line and on a track, and it is far more advanced than either, tech-wise...

Let's face it.... Techno-geeks and fad-followers will go for the GT-R...

And still, to this day, I don't believe there's been a test of a PRODUCTION GT-R in the U.S. (I don't think it stands a snowball's chance in hell of out-accelerating a Z06... at least not from 40mph-forward... I smell a hype-building over-promising snow-job with that car..)

But for those who go for sex appeal in styling, and heritage, and beauty in interior design, and everything that goes beyond just going stink-a$$-fast.... The GT-R is just a cheap hooker in room full of ladies.. Probably able to out-shag 'em all, but you still don't want to risk catching a disease from her...

Love it!

We have been up close and personal with the car - being in the line of work that we do.... It's a big car for sure....

It definitely can out perform the 997S - but we have thrown around the idea here in the office - that with the right setup and look - we would still take the 997S over the GTR.

Fun fun....

Quote:
    thankful said:
    If I do go with the 997S - I would do the typical header, exhaust etc.... that type of stuff...

Waste of money for small gains...

Quote:
    thankful said:... I want to drop the clutch and have fun...

If that's what you're after... the 911 is not the car for you, or be prepared for high maintenance costs.

You have an idea of what the car you want is... and I (and others) do not think it's the 11, but you'll let us know.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    thankful said:

Waste of money for small gains...

Agreed! Bragging rights and nothing more.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    thankful said:... I want to drop the clutch and have fun...

If that's what you're after... the 911 is not the car for you, or be prepared for high maintenance costs.

You have an idea of what the car you want is... and I (and others) do not think it's the 11, but you'll let us know.

No hold on my new found forum friends...

Don't give up on me yet here....

Yes - I love performance.... I love to feel a car move and perform - and to make me smile and love to drive it.

If that doesn't scream Porsche - then why all the love for these cars....

I do know what I want - that's why I am posting here....

I just want to make sure that I learn and know as much as possible.... I have learned a lot - and will continue to gather thoughts and input.

As for my desire to drive this car hard - that isn't going to go away. I mean you have to give me a little room here. You have to say that these cars are built to perform....

All I am saying is - they have to be able to take a little bit....

Am I losing it to think that the 997S is a performance car built to excite...?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802859 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448449 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265982 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89992 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6467 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885485 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832636 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM