Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

end of Porsche love story.

Well, to cut it short, was in love with the brand since I was a kid.
    Got a boxster S, a 997C2S, and a 996C4 which is my current car.
    The 996 engine just blew up. Garage wants $25K for a new one.

Needless to say this is not something I am happy with. I will get the repair done and get rid of the bloody thing before it looses more value. But now how can I ever justify to my wife/friends that a p-car is a sound purchase?
    A car with 82'000km has an engine that dies? Not even my ______ (insert any brand name here) had such problems.

I don't feel like ever owning one again. With the money I can get out of the car after the repair, I will be lucky to buy a VW POLO 1.4. Maybe I should just register to that forum instead. I am so P***** OFF.

-end of rant

Re: end of Porsche love story.

I'm so sorry to hear of your predicament.
    I hope you don't loose too much money!!
    I like you, have been in love with the brand since I was a kid. (my father's first Porsche was bought in 1958 and I was born in '59, so I grew up with one Porsche or another as an older brother through out my life).
    As a result, I feel very sad whenever I read about such things happening.

My friend I am sorry to hear of this sad (and expensive) occurence. But that's life! Unexpected things can happen. A human being can expire from one moment to the next due accident, crime, health reasons regardless of age, physical condition or habits. So why feel surprised that a piece of machinery has failed? If an 18 year old athlete dies of an undiagnosed heart condition for example, it doesn't mean that there is something wrong with the rest of the team, does it? The luck of the draw!

you should be able to get it done for less than that. at 82,000 km (unless you modified it) Porsche should be helping you out?? If you are going to dump it, maybe an engine from a wrecker would be more cost effective as you are going to take a hit reguardless...

I am trying to find an engine from a wrecker....zero, nada.
    There is another 996 next to mine with the exact same problem...so we'd be competing for that engine...

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    There is another 996 next to mine with the exact same problem...so we'd be competing for that engine...

Maybe send a lettter to PAG? If they really are interested in upholding their reputation, they should either get you a new engine free of charge or subsidize at least part of the cost.

This really sucks. I'm so sorry to hear this Jeannot.

sorry mate but I've done a few thousands on my car and it seems fine

Ouch, sorry for that.
    I would also think Porsche could help you a little, 82k miles is not that much.

Well I am about to go naked on a Cayenne TT, hopefully this experiment will not be too expensive.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Ouch, sorry for that.

Well I am about to go naked on a Cayenne TT, hopefully this experiment will not be too expensive.

51.000 miles!!!!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Ouch, sorry for that.

51.000 miles!!!!

Yes and a child of 5 years dies but this is not typical of the average life expectancy. People always tend to generalise from the specific.
    Anyway I hope Jeannot is helped by PAG, although I doubt they would fix a 996 gratis. However, I know they covered engines of up to 3-3 1/2 years on 2 year warranties, if they blew up from any of the "known causes" like intermediate shaft failure.

Gotta love the 4 years warranty in the US...

Awwww..., cr*p..., I hate when that happens. Sorry to hear that.

Not sure what I'd do, I'm not sure what, for me, would be the cutoff for the price of a new engine. I think I'd "scrap" the car. Cut my losses. Forget about fixing it?

Trade it in and let the dealer deal with it?

I hate to admit this but now is as good a time as any: I secretly expect to have and pay for a blown engine in my car if I keep it beyond the warranty.

I mean it's like acknowledging one's own eventual death. No matter how much fun they are, these cars are probably gonna cost us bigtime.

BTW, that does sound like waaaay too much money for a replacement engine.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    BTW, that does sound like waaaay too much money for a replacement engine.

Cannot agree more. Apparently, PAG rose the M96 prices when the 997 came out. As if the designs problems on this engine were going to be solved by some kind of miracle. And this way, they punish 2nd hand customers or people who keep their car for long.
    In the end, PAG should understand their whole business is not only about selling Cayennes, but keeping the myth alive for enthusiasts. One way to do it is to keep competing in motorsports (we all know how that goes with P at the moment), and the other, is to keep enthusiasts happy by not punishing them like my case here and keeping the 2nd hand market somehow level. I am out of the whole P business.
    I love 911s. But I will never be able to justify to my wife why this gadget of mine is 'reasonable'. It is not.
    My main arguments were: they do not loose so much value, and they are reliable. (ok, I needed to oversell a bit! ). Now I just have nothing to say. Back to BMW, thank you very much.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:

Maybe send a lettter to PAG? If they really are interested in upholding their reputation, they should either get you a new engine free of charge or subsidize at least part of the cost.

Yeah, need to take time to write this letter. Will probably post it here and tell them that I post it here (that should scare them a bit right? )

Welcome to the dark side...

USD 25k at the current rate? So you mean CHF 25k? My replacement engine was CHF 27k, but that was a 996 Turbo engine. Have prices gone up so much???

Sorry to hear that, and I understand that you're pissed. If that would have happened to a low-end car, people would laugh and call that brand crap...

Incidentally, my partner's Maserati 3200 GT just had a similar problem with his engine. Might be the season...

EDIT: Jeannot, try to contact Mr Röbi Schädel from Carlifting (www.carlifting.ch). Small garage in ZH that specializes on Porsche. Extremely friendly, helpful, etc. Might be worth a try.

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:

Yeah, need to take time to write this letter. Will probably post it here and tell them that I post it here (that should scare them a bit right? )

Yes, tell them that the wives of all the owners will read about this. I can see them shaking already .

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Welcome to the dark side...

Indeed

It may be of some assistance to the original poster to know that sometimes Porsche will goodwill things like this (if you are the first owner of the car) and the car is barely out of warranty or such.

That said, it is one thing to be disenchanted with a brand because you got screwed by something technical or procedural. It is another to be driven away by the brand taking a drastically different direction philisophically than what "you signed up for".

Quote:
    pierre said:
    USD 25k at the current rate? So you mean CHF 25k? My replacement engine was CHF 27k, but that was a 996 Turbo engine. Have prices gone up so much???

Sorry to hear that, and I understand that you're pissed. If that would have happened to a low-end car, people would laugh and call that brand crap...

Incidentally, my partner's Maserati 3200 GT just had a similar problem with his engine. Might be the season...

EDIT: Jeannot, try to contact Mr Röbi Schädel from Carlifting (www.carlifting.ch). Small garage in ZH that specializes on Porsche. Extremely friendly, helpful, etc. Might be worth a try.

Thanks for the tip. I shall see what they could do. I think P car dealer does not try to 'optimize' the situation.

Jeannot, I am so sorry to hear this misfortune.
    I would be in the same state as you.... but, problems happen, with all brands ( AUdi, BMW..all of them have sometimes engines that blow up and need complete replacement)
    Maybe you should go back to the beginning of your love story....and just get an old Carrera from the 80's . Cheap, fun and gorgeous looking with no drop of value ( even increase if you choose well)

Sorry to hear, however it doesn't come as a surprise. The watercooled engines had quite some reliability issues. One hardly finds these models with a similiar mileage as the previous aircooled ones (or the 944 and 928 models). As Pierre said, search for an alternative to get the car fixed.

So far I have heard from replacements between five and ninethousand Euros. The numbers you mentioned are simply way off, even for an OEM part.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Sorry to hear, however it doesn't come as a surprise. The watercooled engines had quite some reliability issues. One hardly finds these models with a similiar mileage as the previous aircooled ones (or the 944 and 928 models). As Pierre said, search for an alternative to get the car fixed.

So far I have heard from replacements between five and ninethousand Euros. The numbers you mentioned are simply way off, even for an OEM part.

The price for a replacement 996 320 HP engine is Euro 23,000-25,000 (incl. German tax @ 19%)as per the Porsche official parts catalogue.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Ouch, sorry for that.

51.000 miles!!!!

Yes and a child of 5 years dies but this is not typical of the average life expectancy. People always tend to generalise from the specific.
    Anyway I hope Jeannot is helped by PAG, although I doubt they would fix a 996 gratis. However, I know they covered engines of up to 3-3 1/2 years on 2 year warranties, if they blew up from any of the "known causes" like intermediate shaft failure.

FWIW, when my Cayenne turned 52000 miles the

1.carden shaft failed and had to replaced

2.all the ignition wires went bad and had to be replaced

3.the water pump had to replaced

4.the horn went bad and had to be replaced

5.the back seat latch (hardly ever used) went bad and had to replaced

6.the radio had to be replaced

Now I just hold my breath for the next failure.

PORSCHE there is no substitute.

35k only here but ouch, all those?
    After all the gremlins were fixed first year, had nothing major happening yet...

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Ouch, sorry for that.

51.000 miles!!!!

FWIW, when my Cayenne turned 52000 miles the

1.carden shaft failed and had to replaced

2.all the ignition wires went bad and had to be replaced

3.the water pump had to replaced

4.the horn went bad and had to be replaced

5.the back seat latch (hardly ever used) went bad and had to replaced

6.the radio had to be replaced

Now I just hold my breath for the next failure.

PORSCHE there is no substitute.

Why don't you get rid of this car. You will do yourself a favour!

The Cayenne TT is really a good car, can't replace with anything else in my case. And not thrilled about spending another $60k to get the exact same car as mine still looks like new...

Jeannot:

Maybe I'm missing something but here's a rebuilt 996 engine for us$6K (with exchange). Can't you find something like that in the EU?

check out the 996 about half way down:

http://www.motormeister.com/suz/911_engines/911_engines_5.htm

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Jeannot:

Maybe I'm missing something but here's a rebuilt 996 engine for us$6K (with exchange). Can't you find something like that in the EU?

FYI, Motormeister has a very "Colorful" reputation, shall we say. For details, do a search on them at http://forums.rennlist.com/

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    Jeannot:

FYI, Motormeister has a very "Colorful" reputation, shall we say. For details, do a search on them at http://forums.rennlist.com/

Awwwww cr*p! Sorry to hear that. I Googled it and they came up first.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 3:43 AM
    rhino
    802759 1804
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448425 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265952 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89964 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6439 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885447 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832447 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM