Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Nissan GTR V-Spec lap times stun observers

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/08/nissan-gt-r-v-spec-lap-times-stun-observers

Nissan GT-R V-Spec lap times stun observers
    The prototype Nissan GT-R V-Spec, wearing the "Victory Specification" designation reserved for the ultra high-performance Nissan GT-R, has been caught lapping the famed Nürburgring at an incredible, if not simply unbelievable, 7:25 per lap. This, according to bystanders trackside. (For comparison, Walter Röhrl lapped the Ring in 7:28 while driving a Porsche Carrera GT in 2004.)

In contrast to the standard Nissan GT-R, that made the run around the 'Ring in 7:38, the GT-R V-Spec has a new front splitter, modified rear spoiler, and different wheels. A more extensive use of carbon fiber has reportedly reduced the weight by upwards of 330 pounds. Of course, Nissan engineers also tweaked the twin-turbo powerplant for another 70 horses... or so.

Re: Nissan GTR V-Spec lap times stun observers

Thats' quite impressive it really is. Apart from it's technical achievements which I'm sure we all agree are truly amazing, the car still isn't growing on me aesthetically at all.

Maybe someone will release a bodykit that will make it pretty.

Doubt it

Technically very impressive though.

Quote:
    Moogle said:

Doubt it

Technically very impressive though.

No stereo or A/C and still as heavy as the Turbo. Not really impressed , especially considering that this car is at least at CGT power levels.

Nissan should get together with Aston Martin. Together they could make the worlds most desirable car!!

"7:25 per lap. This, according to bystanders trackside"

Of course! Well as a bystander trackside I'm sure i witnessed the GT2 doing 7:14.23 around the 'Ring.

Impressive if true, still this is not a production car and it costs upward of $1mio probably (price of the prototype)...

But the performance would put an Enzo and CGT to shame...

No way SciFrog. This is based on the production car. Not that much has been done to it. Few body panels here, few reduction in creature comfort there, bigger brakes, tune the engine a bit more...there you have it. It's kinda like that Mines GTR on that video. Shattered the lap time on that track!

Not so sure, "they shed over 330 pounds with extensive use of carbon". This will not be cheap in a production car...

What kind of tires are they using?
    It is often overlooked but one of the major reason the GT2 is as fast on the CGT on the NBR is new tires...

True, 330 pounds is a bit of weight. We'll see what they actually do to achieve that. I would assume that at the very least they have removed the rear seats and put on a set of very light front seats!

Based on this picture, looks like they are running some sort of semi-slick tyre, which really is no different to GT2 or CGT.

The GT2 is 300 pounds lighter than the TT, but the TT is a pig and they removed AWD and put PCCB... And Porsche charges $70k more for it (well $50k if you take out the carbon seats and PCCB).

Quote:
    AUM said:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/08/nissan-gt-r-v-spec-lap-times-stun-observers

The prototype Nissan GT-R V-Spec, wearing the "Victory Specification" designation reserved for the ultra high-performance Nissan GT-R, has been caught lapping the famed Nürburgring at an incredible, if not simply unbelievable, 7:25 per lap. This, according to bystanders trackside. (For comparison, Walter Röhrl lapped the Ring in 7:28 while driving a Porsche Carrera GT in 2004.)

In contrast to the standard Nissan GT-R, that made the run around the 'Ring in 7:38, the GT-R V-Spec has a new front splitter, modified rear spoiler, and different wheels. A more extensive use of carbon fiber has reportedly reduced the weight by upwards of 330 pounds. Of course, Nissan engineers also tweaked the twin-turbo powerplant for another 70 horses... or so.

Houston (Porsche) we've got a problem

The only thing that saves the other cars is how ugly the GT-R is...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Not so sure, "they shed over 330 pounds with extensive use of carbon". This will not be cheap in a production car...

What kind of tires are they using?
    It is often overlooked but one of the major reason the GT2 is as fast on the CGT on the NBR is new tires...

Right - tires and weight of the car are the limiting factors @ NoS (not: HP - at least not in the "supercar" department)

When Patrick Simon did the (then) record lap with the modded (but still streetlegal) Edo Competition 996 GT2 ("Biene Maja" ) about two years ago in 7:15.6 he said:

> The tires (streetlegal sports tires) have been the limiting factor during the entire lap - more HP (if I recall correctly something like 600 hp in the record the car) wouldn't have helped anything to improve the time. In fact he said that the tires already have been over the top at some corners (highest G-force recorded: 1.7 g )

> he also said, that a time better than the 7:15.6 can't be achieved by any streetlegal car unless the weight is significantly under 1,100-1,200 kg

If sportscar makers further try to improve NoS lap times with their (relative) heavy cars they'll need some magical rubber (maybe a "streetlegal" tire which survives one single lap only ). At least that leaves some hope that they're going to focus more on the weight in the near future rather than to continue with the silly HP war.

...and before I forget: during winter time new tarmac has been put on NoS at quite a number of corners: Hatzenbach, Schwedenkreuz/Aremberg, Eiskurve (to name only the most important improvements). As a humble amateur I have no idea to what extent these improvements translate into better laptimes, but I'm doing about 10 sec. better compared to the previous year - LoL

Quote:
    Moogle said:

A Paper Bag?

Seriously, I would buy this car in a minute if the price is not much higher than GT-R, despite the looks.

Fully agree with you. Nice analysis BTW.

Again, we are forgetting basic thing-there is NO GT-R in EU specs yet. First car will be tested by German car mags in February 2009...

YES, German price is tempting( Euro 80K for Black edition with Navi). BUT, NO Navi option till September 2009!

One important question, since it's a PROTOTYPE: How much more HP does it have compared to the eventual V-Spec power rating? If alot more, then the time is MEANINGLESS.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Again, we are forgetting basic thing-there is NO GT-R in EU specs yet. First car will be tested by German car mags in February 2009...

YES, German price is tempting( Euro 80K for Black edition with Navi). BUT, NO Navi option till September 2009!

Nissan is trying to attract German customers without ANY German magazine test yet... Very suspicious... My bet: German test results will be rather disappointing

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    One important question, since it's a PROTOTYPE: How much more HP does it have compared to the eventual V-Spec power rating? If alot more, then the time is MEANINGLESS.

Al - it wouldn't matter if the prototype has 600hp (instead of the advertised 550hp), because it would have 800hp by the time you got your hands on one

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Nissan is trying to attract German customers without ANY German magazine test yet... Very suspicious... My bet: German test results will be rather disappointing

Especially from Sport Auto.

Horst von Slow will make sure the GTR V-spec will not beat the beloved GT2, even if the car is capable of 7:20 (rumoured goal).

Quote:
    mv said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Horst von Slow will make sure the GTR V-spec will not beat the beloved GT2, even if the car is capable of 7:20 (rumoured goal).

Wasn't the "rumoured goal" 7:00??? Or was it 6:30???

Guys, get serious It is a Nissan

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    mv said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Wasn't the "rumoured goal" 7:00??? Or was it 6:30???

Guys, get serious It is a Nissan

6.59min!!! Nissan VeyNIPPONron!!! Mid engine with 530hp(interesting figure), 3.8L V6 biturbo, special AWD and only 1200kg...

Oh... It is actually manga comic...

I love it how all the fans are just going ga-ga over a car that hasn't even been released yet. The GT-R is slower on the Autobahn than all of its competition, it's a heavy pig and more track tests have to be done in order to assert its one-lap dominance (it's too heavy for anything else). Then again, I would love for its AWD system to find its way inside he 997TT.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Turbo Al said:

Al - it wouldn't matter if the prototype has 600hp (instead of the advertised 550hp), because it would have 800hp by the time you got your hands on one

Yes, another reason the current prototype's lap time is meaningless.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Turbo Al said:

Yes, another reason the current prototype's lap time is meaningless.

I'm willing to bet that Al's GT-R could achieve the same N-ring time as this one - sideways!

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    ...and before I forget: during winter time new tarmac has been put on NoS at quite a number of corners: Hatzenbach, Schwedenkreuz/Aremberg, Eiskurve (to name only the most important improvements). As a humble amateur I have no idea to what extent these improvements translate into better laptimes, but I'm doing about 10 sec. better compared to the previous year - LoL

No kidding?

This would mean that all the 'Ring times we have seen discussed ad nauseum here up until now will not be comparable with any new times measured from now on.

Not that that would stop people comparing them, of course. Apples and pears (or is it apples and oranges in English?) are our favorite fruit on rennteam.com.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    The GT-R is slower on the Autobahn than all of its competition,

Competition with 2-4 times higher price tag ?

No I dont think the GT-R is the ultimate car, but it really is an amazing achivement for this sort of money.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    The prototype Nissan GT-R V-Spec, wearing the "Victory Specification" designation reserved for the ultra high-performance Nissan GT-R, has been caught lapping the famed Nürburgring at an incredible, if not simply unbelievable, 7:25 per lap. This, according to bystanders trackside. (

AUM, you are obviously very familiar with the set-up at the N'Ring, and know that the "start" and "finish" timing points are not at the same place. Any trackside bystanders would therefore not normally be able to time a lap without the slow "pit-lane" segment. Do you have any insight on or explanation for that?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Not that that would stop people comparing them, of course. Apples and pears (or is it apples and oranges in English?) are our favorite fruit on rennteam.com.

LoL - it will become a whole fruit basket once good old HvS will retire And no, I'm not kidding - maybe Pierre can give a more professional view once he did the first VLN race this season. Meanwhile I'll ask some experienced fast buddies with 4 digit laps under their belt. I'll let you know what they think

Re the start and finish point: it's about 200m apart - so even an asthmatic bystander should be able to cover this distance within 7:30 minutes

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802949 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448474 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265999 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90001 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6489 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885530 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832815 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM