Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2018 BMW M5(G30) Thread Closed

BTW, bought new M5. Singapur Grey with full leather Black interior. All options except Ceramic brakes. Delivery is 04.06. Will post pics and impression immediately after the delivery. And yes, break-in period is very strict.

KresoF1:

BTW, bought new M5. Singapur Grey with full leather Black interior. All options except Ceramic brakes. Delivery is 04.06. Will post pics and impression immediately after the delivery. And yes, break-in period is very strict.

congrats mate, can't wait to hear your driving impressions Smiley

KresoF1:

congrats.did you get the comp package?

pmarkow:
    KresoF1:

No. Competition package is available from September 2018 delivery. I was thinking about it and was tempted. But... i wanted to get the car ASAP. 

KresoF1:
    pmarkow:
    KresoF1:

No. Competition package is available from September 2018 delivery. I was thinking about it and was tempted. But... i wanted to get the car ASAP. 

i see. in fact, i will go for fall delivery, so with comp pack. why no ceramics? i had the M5 F10 and the steel brakes were lousy.

Test drove the car with and without Ceramics. Did not get an impression of major improvement with the Ceramics. M5 F10 is not valid point of comparison. New car is much, much better.

KresoF1:

Test drove the car with and without Ceramics. Did not get an impression of major improvement with the Ceramics. M5 F10 is not valid point of comparison. New car is much, much better.

i really hope so....but still, the brakes worry me, after getting used to the GT3RS ceramics. btw, does the car make you feel the two tons of weight, as the F10 did? and how do you find the steering?

Car felt great for its weight. It felt lighter then latest E63S which I also test drove. 

Steering is very good. 

But, you have to find your own preference since you can adjust almost any aspect of drive train and steering. 

Standard brakes are very good with nice modulation. Ceramics offer little bit harder brake paddle. 

Overall, I test drove new M5, E63S and Panamera Turbo S Hybrid. 

M5 is the best car overall. E63S close second. M5 is also very, very fast. In straight line faster then 991.2 GT3 or 991.2 GT3 RS. It can follow 991.2 Turbo S on the autobahn at high speed without any problem. Only 488 GTB and 720S are clearly faster on the autobahn. I am very impressed with new M5. Best car from BMW in last 10 years or so. 

KresoF1:

Many congrats. Very good choice Smiley.

As I wrote above: the F90 is far better than I ever would have expected. Compared with the old one it’s a new world. 

As to the Competition package:

That’s  more a marketing package. The “normal” M5 has clearly more than 630 hp and the other goodies like driver package, sport exhaust, carbon details, ceramics  etc. are available as option for the M5 as well. Maybe the chassis will be a little bit stiffer. 

--

Hard to tell exactly what you get with the CP.. but I do like that it's set up more for track use,, lowered, stiffer, stronger electric engine mounts, slight bit of horsepower,  sports exhaust ( should help with the journalists' complaints )and then the decals.  I arranged for one today at msrp,, first one to get to dealer.  I think it's worth the wait, plus it'll be a 19,, good for resale value.  But then you'll have already had a blast by the time I get mine. 

Van-:

Hard to tell exactly what you get with the CP.. but I do like that it's set up more for track use,, lowered, stiffer, stronger electric engine mounts, slight bit of horsepower,  sports exhaust ( should help with the journalists' complaints )and then the decals.  I arranged for one today at msrp,, first one to get to dealer.  I think it's worth the wait, plus it'll be a 19,, good for resale value.  But then you'll have already had a blast by the time I get mine. 

M5 set up for more track use Smiley, you mean 1 session of 20 minutes and you will need an air brake.

this car performance package (cosmetic) or not is clearly for autobahn and daily use from A to B with speed.Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

KresoF1:

Many congratulations!!! Enjoy!!Smiley

KresoF1:

M5 is the best car overall. E63S close second. M5 is also very, very fast. In straight line faster then 991.2 GT3 or 991.2 GT3 RS. It can follow 991.2 Turbo S on the autobahn at high speed without any problem. Only 488 GTB and 720S are clearly faster on the autobahn. I am very impressed with new M5. Best car from BMW in last 10 years or so. 

This is an interesting video:

http://ausfahrt.tv/youtuber-sport-auto-0-300-km-h-bmw-m5-vs-amg-e-63-s-vs-porsche-panamera-turbo-s-vs-cadillac-cts-v-sport-auto/

Starting at around 0:40 you see the acceleration of M5, e63s, Panamera turbo s. It seems these three cars are nearly identical in terms of 0-300 - the M5 is a bit quicker than the Panamera turbo s up to 200kph. At highest speeds the Panamera seems to be a bit better than the M5. 

It seems (in this video) the tested cars do 0-300 in about 31-32s, i.e. very quick. A 991.2 turbo s might be more like 28-29s (in normal or sports mode, i.e. rear wing in normal position). Thus, the difference is not much (in a straight line).

KresoF1:

Car felt great for its weight. It felt lighter then latest E63S which I also test drove. 

Steering is very good. 

But, you have to find your own preference since you can adjust almost any aspect of drive train and steering. 

Standard brakes are very good with nice modulation. Ceramics offer little bit harder brake paddle. 

Many congrats! great choice, the F10 was just not a complete package, the F90 seems to do it all better.

Could you elaborate more on the comparison between M5, E63S and Panamera Turbo S Hybrid, I assume that you feel the heavier weight of the Panamera, but the old Panamera seemed to have a very good chassis performance wise, so the new one can't compete with the F90? I know the Panamera is size wise more in the S-class territory, but still. I would really appreciate your thoughts.

KresoF1:

Excellent choice, congratulations Smiley

What wheels did you choose?

Can you have the car de-restricted by BMW at any time in the future?

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

RS 991:
    KresoF1:

Steering is very good. 

Many congrats! great choice, the F10 was just not a complete package, the F90 seems to do it all better.

Could you elaborate more on the comparison between M5, E63S and Panamera Turbo S Hybrid, I assume that you feel the heavier weight of the Panamera, but the old Panamera seemed to have a very good chassis performance wise, so the new one can't compete with the F90? I know the Panamera is size wise more in the S-class territory, but still. I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Interesting enough I was very impressed how Pana Turbo S hides it's weight. All systems are working their magic, well almost. Panamera feels artificial which is kind of strange. At least for a Porsche. I drove Panamera first and felt "wow, this thing is fast, weight is hidden nicely". Then I drove E63S and first thing on my mind was "this is way sportier then Panamera. Faster, better steering, better chassis! How can it be?!"

Then new M5 with Ceramics came and I was blown away. It felt so natural to me, like a second skin. Yes, adjustability of its systems is little bit too much. Ok, you can Programm M1 and M2 modes to your liking, bit still..  E63S sounds more aggressive and is definitely louder. Just, M5 engine offers better mechanical smoothness(laufkultur in German) and it's power delivery is better(to me). M5 magic is in its chassis. BMW M did it this time. They really did it. 

End verdict is that both M5 and E63S are awesome sport saloons. Clearly the best in its class. Also, both are good value for the money. I could choose the E63S and it would be great choice as well. Just, to me, my personal preference is new M5. For me it did all the things just right.

reginos:
    KresoF1:

Wheels are 706M Bicolor. Black ones only looks good on White exterior IMHO. My car have 07ME Drivers Package option or 305km/h limiter. Unrestricted, M5 is good for 330km/h.

I wonder what the actual power of the M5 is, independent dyno tests here in US show the E63S to be more in the 660-670HP range.

The official 600HP looks like measured at the wheels.

Most of the new M5s, including costumer cars have more then 660hp. 10% more is acceptable. Power delivery is actually fantastic for a turbo engine. Much better then 720S for a example. But, 720S is surreal. It really feels faster then new M5. 

KresoF1:
    reginos:
    KresoF1:

Wheels are 706M Bicolor. Black ones only looks good on White exterior IMHO. My car have 07ME Drivers Package option or 305km/h limiter. Unrestricted, M5 is good for 330km/h.

The wheels are very nice on your colour.

Enjoy this superb car in good health!

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

KresoF1:
    RS 991:
    KresoF1:

Steering is very good. 

Interesting enough I was very impressed how Pana Turbo S hides it's weight. All systems are working their magic, well almost. Panamera feels artificial which is kind of strange. At least for a Porsche. I drove Panamera first and felt "wow, this thing is fast, weight is hidden nicely". Then I drove E63S and first thing on my mind was "this is way sportier then Panamera. Faster, better steering, better chassis! How can it be?!"

Then new M5 with Ceramics came and I was blown away. It felt so natural to me, like a second skin. Yes, adjustability of its systems is little bit too much. Ok, you can Programm M1 and M2 modes to your liking, bit still..  E63S sounds more aggressive and is definitely louder. Just, M5 engine offers better mechanical smoothness(laufkultur in German) and it's power delivery is better(to me). M5 magic is in its chassis. BMW M did it this time. They really did it. 

End verdict is that both M5 and E63S are awesome sport saloons. Clearly the best in its class. Also, both are good value for the money. I could choose the E63S and it would be great choice as well. Just, to me, my personal preference is new M5. For me it did all the things just right.

Thank you, appreciate it. The difference in the chassis is that the M5 is on steel springs while the E63 has an air-suspension, but the M5 seems to be still more comfortable (concluding some reviews).

MKSGR:
    KresoF1:

http://ausfahrt.tv/youtuber-sport-auto-0-300-km-h-bmw-m5-vs-amg-e-63-s-vs-porsche-panamera-turbo-s-vs-cadillac-cts-v-sport-auto/

Starting at around 0:40 you see the acceleration of M5, e63s, Panamera turbo s. It seems these three cars are nearly identical in terms of 0-300 - the M5 is a bit quicker than the Panamera turbo s up to 200kph. At highest speeds the Panamera seems to be a bit better than the M5. 

It seems (in this video) the tested cars do 0-300 in about 31-32s, i.e. very quick. A 991.2 turbo s might be more like 28-29s (in normal or sports mode, i.e. rear wing in normal position). Thus, the difference is not much (in a straight line).

E63S is almost two seconds faster (32.8 sec.) to 300 kph than the M5 (according to AutoBILD SC). It starts to pull hard at around 250-260 kph, I noticed it vs an AMG GT S I encountered.

M5 certainly is faster on the track, better tires (specifically developed for the M5) and better brakes (had braking fade yesterday on my way to Italy and wasn't even on the track).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    MKSGR:
    KresoF1:

E63S is almost two seconds faster (32.8 sec.) to 300 kph than the M5 (according to AutoBILD SC). It starts to pull hard at around 250-260 kph, I noticed it vs an AMG GT S I encountered.

M5 certainly is faster on the track, better tires (specifically developed for the M5) and better brakes (had braking fade yesterday on my way to Italy and wasn't even on the track).

It seems the e63s is a bit faster than the M5 in this video as well Smiley

I think in real life, in the most important speed range between 0 and 230 kph, there won't be any significant difference.

The M5 has the better brakes, better track performance, looks more stealth and is cheaper.

The E63S is a bit more of a show-off, it sounds better, has (in my opinion) the nicer interior (widescreen display, Performance Seats) and may be a tiny bit faster in the speed range over 250 kph.

So it comes down to personal preferences only because the differences are marginal.

The M5 Competition could be a game changer though, depending on how better track AND straight line performance are going to be (unless BMW messes that up).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Imho each car has its own purpose and in the executive saloons class track use is definitely not one of them. I think all of us got it wrong at least once in our lives because of car reviews.

These are cars designed to carry 4-5 people, go fast but "reasonably" comfy on open roads. Have the sporty savoir faire without the sacrifices of a true sportscar. What (should) matters here is how they behave in real live conditions: acceleration 0-100/80-120, take your kid to the school, buy some groceries, parking, round trip to the beach/mountains (b road and highway) and how comfortable they ride despite its sportier chassis set up. That's what I'd really care about.

Of course you can lap them, of course you can drift them, of course you'll have fun around a track but attacking times it's not their thing (weight, aero). Of course you can extract some good insights about breaking, about cornering, about grip if you take it for a lap around but these insights will be (mostly) pointless IRL.

What would be the point of tracking such a car?

SciFrog:

What would be the point of tracking such a car?

Dunno but RC mentioned track performance which, for me, is pointless in a comparison between the E63 and M5. And is not the first time I read people braggin' about how fast cars not concived for track can lap around a circuit.

Track performance may not be important for most buyers but it is an excellent marketing tool.

The M5 has another benefit (in Germany) I forgot about: It already has a particulate filter, the E63S gets one starting with June engine production (MY2019) and this could make the E63S a bit slower, especially in the upper speed range.

--

Maybe someone knows the fuel tank capacity of the new M5?

911tts:

Maybe someone knows the fuel tank capacity of the new M5?

68 l...not sure there is a bigger tank option available. Even the optional 80 l tank for my E63S is a joke, range is (considering my spirited driving) around 450 km. My E63S consumes surprisingly less than I anticipated, average fuel consumption is slightly under 18 liters. Not bad for a 612 hp monster. I keep it under 250 kph most of the time though, so this may increase after the break-in period.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804000 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448727 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266336 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90164 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886070 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834340 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM