Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Getting IPD Plenum and ECU Tuning next week

A little more hijack. Did you try re-connecting the vacuum switch Alex? I ran mine hacked for about 12000 miles, when I eventually did reconnect it was fuxked, the loudness wouldn't come on at all and to be honest it sounded a bit crappy, rattling and coughing. It went back to the dealer for sale and they never mentioned it so maybe I just didn't de-hack it properly.

brad

Quote:
    br d said:
    A little more hijack. Did you try re-connecting the vacuum switch Alex? I ran mine hacked for about 12000 miles, when I eventually did reconnect it was fuxked, the loudness wouldn't come on at all and to be honest it sounded a bit crappy, rattling and coughing. It went back to the dealer for sale and they never mentioned it so maybe I just didn't de-hack it properly.

brad

I put it back to normal every 1000 miles or so (for about a day). Initially the system choaks and splutters, but after 10 secs or so everything for me was fine each time.

Don't mean to hijack ed's thread but thought this 6-speed thread from Alex at Shark Werks is interesting as it touches on exhaust quiet-ness:
    http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80757

btw: Ed - Have you confirmed the date for your dyno? This weekend?

I wouldn't do it Ed. The Mustang AWD and Dyno Dynamics are the only 2 coupled AWD dynos available in the US. The Dynapac and Dynojet are uncoupled and can cause diff failures. They are only safe when testing lockable center diffs like on 4wd trucks.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    I wouldn't do it Ed. The Mustang AWD and Dyno Dynamics are the only 2 coupled AWD dynos available in the US. The Dynapac and Dynojet are uncoupled and can cause diff failures. They are only safe when testing lockable center diffs like on 4wd trucks.

You might want to check the Maha awd dyno at AMS in Carson, CA. It is supposed to be one of the best awd dynos for audis and porsches.

Gents:

I am sorry that I have nothing but disappointing news for everyone. I dropped my car off at Vision Motor Sports yesterday and after hearing the conflicts about the dyno I called Vision at night and left a message for the owner. I expressed concerns about the dyno. I got no call back and when I tried again this morning the receptionist said they had dynoed my car last night (bare bone stock) and the will dyno it agin today after they install the IPD Plenum and again tomorrow after they install the exhaust.

I said NO NO NO, they can damage the car. She put me on hold and came back and told me there was nothing wrong with the car and that they dyno 997tt and 996tt's all the time.

Be as it may I asked her to have the owner call me. Right around noon time the owner called me and said my car was ready. I replied, are you kidding? He said that I have been asking too many questions which indicates I do not trust him and his shop and therefore he wishes not to do business with me any more.

I was furuious, so I went and picked up my car. I drove the car for about an hour, fast, slow, hard....etc. The car rides and handles fine and there seems to be no damages. I don't really even know if the car was dynoed once. All I know is that the car is fine and everything works well.

I am sorry my friends for disappointing all of you as I know you were looking forward to my dyno results form the IPD Plenum.

Now I don't know what I am going to do and where to take my car to be treated like a gentleman

GMG Racing is in Santa Ana. They have a Mustang dyno and are quite familiar with proper 997 tuning. I am sorry you were treated in such a fashion, but judging from their response I cannot imagine how ugly things could have gotten if your car sustained damage from their ignorance.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    GMG Racing is in Santa Ana. They have a Mustang dyno and are quite familiar with proper 997 tuning. I am sorry you were treated in such a fashion, but judging from their response I cannot imagine how ugly things could have gotten if your car sustained damage from their ignorance.

Thanks enlcou, tell me something, if they had damaged my car would I know right away. The car is running without a problem so I assume they either did not dyno at all or they did and I got lucky.

enclou, what modes do you have?

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Gents:

I am sorry that I have nothing but disappointing news for everyone. I dropped my car off at Vision Motor Sports yesterday and after hearing the conflicts about the dyno I called Vision at night and left a message for the owner. I expressed concerns about the dyno. I got no call back and when I tried again this morning the receptionist said they had dynoed my car last night (bare bone stock) and the will dyno it agin today after they install the IPD Plenum and again tomorrow after they install the exhaust.

I said NO NO NO, they can damage the car. She put me on hold and came back and told me there was nothing wrong with the car and that they dyno 997tt and 996tt's all the time.

Be as it may I asked her to have the owner call me. Right around noon time the owner called me and said my car was ready. I replied, are you kidding? He said that I have been asking too many questions which indicates I do not trust him and his shop and therefore he wishes not to do business with me any more.

I was furuious, so I went and picked up my car. I drove the car for about an hour, fast, slow, hard....etc. The car rides and handles fine and there seems to be no damages. I don't really even know if the car was dynoed once. All I know is that the car is fine and everything works well.

I am sorry my friends for disappointing all of you as I know you were looking forward to my dyno results form the IPD Plenum.

Now I don't know what I am going to do and where to take my car to be treated like a gentleman

unbelievable - feeling sorry for you. But don't give up

Thanks Huadimal

I have a GIAC ECU and AWE exhaust. The damage to a differential is not necessarily immediate. I doubt it would fail from 1 run but after multiple pre/post mod runs I think you would have problems. If they actually ran your car they would have noticed the front and rear rollers were turning at different speeds, which would have been an issue for them to interpret. People who have run awd cars on such dynos have found lower numbers than expected due to to the speed differences.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    I have a GIAC ECU and AWE exhaust. The damage to a differential is not necessarily immediate. I doubt it would fail from 1 run but after multiple pre/post mod runs I think you would have problems. If they actually ran your car they would have noticed the front and rear rollers were turning at different speeds, which would have been an issue for them to interpret. People who have run awd cars on such dynos have found lower numbers than expected due to to the speed differences.

Hopefully no damage is done. They had a C4 with a supercharger that was dynoed at 580 H.P. at the wheel. The owner had spent a $100K in mods

With this kind of treatment from these folks at Vision, I'd be leery in trusting them with my car. The customer as you all know is always right and they should be much more respectful of us folks as a result. To have them tell you that they don't want to do business with you because they felt that you don't trust them, is definitely bad business practice in my eyes. It's a good thing you didn't take a step further with these guys. Like Eugene said, you might've had far more issues down the road with them if they had gone forward with the plenum install. You're in good hands with many knowledgeable folks on here so don't feel bad about one missed opportunity. There are many others in the SoCal area that can do the job just as well. Have you thought about taking it to RSS? The source of these plenums?

When a vendor raises the issue of customer trust, instead of simply resolving the customer's concern in the most transparent and gracious manner, its time to run to the exit and never look back.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    With this kind of treatment from these folks at Vision, I'd be leery in trusting them with my car. The customer as you all know is always right and they should be much more respectful of us folks as a result. To have them tell you that they don't want to do business with you because they felt that you don't trust them, is definitely bad business practice in my eyes. It's a good thing you didn't take a step further with these guys. Like Eugene said, you might've had far more issues down the road with them if they had gone forward with the plenum install. You're in good hands with many knowledgeable folks on here so don't feel bad about one missed opportunity. There are many others in the SoCal area that can do the job just as well. Have you thought about taking it to RSS? The source of these plenums?

Thanks Atomic, yes I have been talking to Greg at RSS and I might either go there or GMG

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Gents:

That's no way to treat a customer. Obviously your Turbo is your baby & means as much to you as all us car nuts. He should have been able to either give you the reasons why it was perfectly safe to dyno the car or admit he's not sure but to bounce the responsibility of trust back at you is not wht I would expect from a reputable shop.

So you have the car back but without the mods? Maybe that's very positive, you'll get a chance to bring it someplace that can do the work that YOU CAN TRUST. Don't worry about disappointing us at all, you have to make sure you do whats right for yourself and your baby. Hope you can find someplace to do it right.

quote from Vision's web-site:
    "We take personal interest in your satisfaction."

Quote:
    hatchback said:
    When a vendor raises the issue of customer trust, instead of simply resolving the customer's concern in the most transparent and gracious manner, its time to run to the exit and never look back.

I think the owner of this shop has lost quite a few customers because of the power of this forum.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    hatchback said:

I think the owner of this shop has lost quite a few customers because of the power of this forum.

Especially true as if you put into Google 'vision motor sports 997 turbo' you get this thread come up as the #1 and #5 hits on the results list!!!

My sentiments exactly gents. The owner of Vision seems like a very nice knowledgable guy, and he was nice to me, except that he wanted me out of his shop

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802489 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448325 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265880 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89889 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6365 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885256 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831761 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM