Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Drove a Spyker C8 Spyder today

Hi guys,

I notified by my one dealer that they were now the official agents for Spyker last week and they had a demo in the country that he wanted me to try out for the joy of it. I obviously could not turn it down and took him on his offer today. Went for an hour long drive with the car and I will still be able to get use it for another full weekend should I feel the urge

Anyways, I arrive at the dealer and the C8 Spyder is tucked away in a corner not very visible to public eyes. I must say when I first saw it I immediately liked the design and finish of the car. Very very different from what is currently available.

So he pulls the car out into the sunlight for me to have a further look. The car looks even better in the sun! I have always pictured Spykers to be in very subtle colours, but it pulls this colour off perfectly!

Re: Drove a Spyker C8 Spyder today

The key is a round flat-ish object that very much resembles a weight. Good solid finish and has a nice weight to it. Now for the fun part... you press the "L" and "R" buttons on the key to open the door(it extends fully on its own there after).

The frameless windscreen is also a great touch

There is quite a big side sill to get over before you sit nice and comfortable in the bucket seats. The fun part is starting it, you open the "red" cover on the dashboard and flick the ignition switch and all the dials come to life. You then just press the "Engine Start" button.

The interior does look quite basic - but that is what I love about it. I feels like an interior that was designed 40 years ago. The fit and finish are superb! The foot pedals are also designed similar to a Pagani/Koenigsegg

Now for the actual drive...

The engine is a 4.2 V8 from Audi (same engine in the RS4 and R8) - but does it sound totally different! There was a R8 parked behind it and it sounds nothing like this Spyker. It sounds like an Aston Martin Vantage with Fuse 22 pulled out on steroids!

The clutch and brakes are quite heavy, but the gearbox is very smooth and easy to use, albeit the car is LHD - was very easy to operate.

The acceleration is very good - I would say on par with the new M3, the brakes are a bit lazy and you have to step quite hard for the car to stop, I drove there with the LP640 so I guess I was still used to the CCB's? The steering feedback is great and very direct, almost feels like a Lotus Exige

All in all I am very impressed with the car and wouldn't mind having one. You really stop traffic with this thing as nobody has a CLUE what it is - so if you're looking for something different, I would recommend the Spyker

Nice pics - You are getting quite good at this photography thing aren't you!!!

Thanks for posting!

Did they borrow the gearshifter from a Russian steamship?

Thx for the write up Mike Love your pics

Not feeling it, Mike S. But, you are right it's an oblate spheroid.

It's quite quick actually. The jury's out though for me, as I'm not sure. Just had a look on their website and the brighter colours work better than the the plain Met. Silvers etc.

Man am I jealous! I've seen one, and I just stared at it for as long as I could. It really is like nothing else, it has this old, handcrafted style to it, yet everything is new looking too.
    I wasn't used to that at all, but I loved it!

Is this a possible option along with the Pagani?

Thanks for the great report and pictures Mike, certainly is a unique vehicle.

I especially like the last picture.

this car has so much style and craftsmanship... feels like a 30s bugatti... or capt. nemo's submarine! I have a Scuderia on order, but would rather have this thing to look at...

Quote:
    blade said:
    Not feeling it, Mike S. But, you are right it's an oblate spheroid.

You're right, either you love it or hate it - no inbetween feelings

Quote:
    ResB said:
    It's quite quick actually. The jury's out though for me, as I'm not sure. Just had a look on their website and the brighter colours work better than the the plain Met. Silvers etc.

Also it weighs much less than the RS4 or R8

Quote:
    AndyM said:
    Man am I jealous! I've seen one, and I just stared at it for as long as I could. It really is like nothing else, it has this old, handcrafted style to it, yet everything is new looking too.
    I wasn't used to that at all, but I loved it!

Is this a possible option along with the Pagani?

Possibly, if I could I would

Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:
    this car has so much style and craftsmanship... feels like a 30s bugatti... or capt. nemo's submarine! I have a Scuderia on order, but would rather have this thing to look at...

Exactly! Thats why I love it so much. I was actually looking for an Aston Martin DB5/6 earlier this year but the prices for original restored one is around the same price as a LP640. So I think this car could fit that role for me quite well.

I was never a fan of these cars, but as you say, pictures don't do this car justice, and neither do these greyish colours you always see them in...

This one I like a lot more, great pics BTW...

LHD? is that ok in sa now!? nice colour for this car!

I just went through Spyker's website... the corporate section... the car maker has had lots of ups and downs! and the road still looks bumpy ahead! they sold their F1 seat, and now they're down to just making cars, and a few R&D partnerships... you guys see this car surviving???

Quote:
    bazza said:
    LHD? is that ok in sa now!? nice colour for this car!

The demo has a special permit. It will be going back after the dealer's first stock arrives in January. LHD are still illegal to register. Spyker do make RHD versions.

WoW

Those pics look quite professional, it must be the camera not the photographer!

In my opinion, I love it, even yellow looks perfect on this car...

So are you going to take it for a weekend?

thanks again!

I like the front and side view. The rear - I'm not sure about.

Hey Mike - how was the finishing quality? On your pictures the car look pretty need.

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    WoW

Those pics look quite professional, it must be the camera not the photographer!

In my opinion, I love it, even yellow looks perfect on this car...

So are you going to take it for a weekend?

thanks again!

I think I will, but I'm very busy this month, need to wrap things up for the year. Hopefully I will be able to have time to

Quote:
    Lars997 said:
    I like the front and side view. The rear - I'm not sure about.

Hey Mike - how was the finishing quality? On your pictures the car look pretty need.

Hi Lars,
    The rear is also odd for me, but you get used to it fast after going for a drive

The finish is brilliant, and is as good as any Lambo/Ferrari etc. Definitely has that hand-made feel to it.

The new Jet Li movie, which I can't remember the title, features lots of spykers. Film is mediocre though, but that's just my opinion.

An amazing car..
    Saw it at Lamborghini-Frankfurt dealership.. they had it in black and it was stunning!
    as for me, i would have chose a brighter color, something like that amazing Yellow

I looks like you are having fun over there in SA..

Mike, is this the place for the "Congrats" or we should wait for delivery ? :P

BTW, how long is the waiting list? and what's the price for it in SA ?

Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:
    I just went through Spyker's website... the corporate section... the car maker has had lots of ups and downs! and the road still looks bumpy ahead! they sold their F1 seat, and now they're down to just making cars, and a few R&D partnerships... you guys see this car surviving???

Hi Marwan,
    I hear a lot of rumours about Koenigsegg and Pagani from all over the place as well, although those are just rumours and these are facts you get from their website. I guess it's the risk one must take with these small self-backed manufacturers.

Quote:
    Gauss said:
    The new Jet Li movie, which I can't remember the title, features lots of spykers. Film is mediocre though, but that's just my opinion.

I haven't seen that movie either, I believe it's called "War" ?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777723 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441890 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262870 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261082 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85348 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5631 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880760 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816217 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM