Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

evo Car of the Year 2007...

evo Car of the Year 2007...

"The dozen pre-eminent cars of 2007 are brought together on mind-blowing roads and an amazing track..."

"It's that time of year again. The time when we gather together the most exciting cars from the last twelve months on some of the best roads that Europe has to offer. This year we've been enjoying the mountain roads south of Clermont Ferrand in France, and an unforgettable day at the stunning Mas du Clos circuit."

"But not even the spectacular scenery could outshine the list of cars that 2007 has brought us: Porsche 911 GT3 RS, Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series, Ferrari 430 Scuderia, Mini Cooper Works, Honda Civic Type-R (the Japanese market car, of course), Audi R8, BMW M3, Lotus 2-Eleven, Vauxhall VXR8, Nissan 350Z, Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera and the brand new Aston Martin DBS. Even by the high standards of eCotys past, this is an epic list..."

"Seeing the cars together, driving them back-to-back on road and track, hearing the Ferrari chasing down the Porsche at Mas du Clos or the fierce hammer of the Lamborghini emerging from the echo of the AMG's deep bellowing V8 was something we'll never forget..."

evo_Car-of-the-Year_2007_link

evo Car of the Year 2007: The Contenders...

evo Car of the Year 2007: The Contenders...

* Aston Martin DBS
    "510bhp at 6500rpm, a 191mph top speed and 0-62mph in 4.3sec. This is top-drawer supercar stuff as befits a Pounds160K price tag"

* Audi R8
    "No other car takes a demanding road apart with the precision and composure of Audi's incandescently rapid and hugely desirable R8"

* BMW M3
    "It's a car you could drive every day, yet it's capable of delivering a level of performance that cars costing twice as much would struggle to match"

* Ferrari 430 Scuderia
    "Ferrari seems to have combined the intimate purity of the 911 GT3 with the hardcore drama of a Lamborghini Superleggera"

* Honda Civic Type-R
    "There's little sense making a comparison with the UK Civic Type-R. Better to look upon it as a four-door NSX-R, for it possesses much of the supercar's spirit"

* Lamborghini Superleggera
    "Don't think for a moment that the Superleggera is just a Gallardo with a few overwrought embellishments. It's a stunning achievement"

* Lotus 2-Eleven
    "If you drive on both road and track and want Radical-style adrenalin hits from shockingly high dynamic limits, then this is the toy to have in your garage"

* Mercedes CLK63 AMG Black Series
    "The CLK63 AMG Black Series is part of a new breed of AMG... honed into a very serious track tool and a refreshingly uncompromised road-racer"

* MINI Cooper S Works
    "The greater suppleness allows you to use more of the grunt more of the time. Its ground-covering capabilities are now astonishing"

* Nissan 350Z
    "With that all-new V6, Nissan engineers have targeted the 350Z's one weak spot - that shallow top end - to produce a truly great drivers' car"

* Porsche 911 GT3 RS
    "The rear-engined balance is still there, of course, but the RS flows like none before. It's a deeply satisfying car, both in terms of dynamics and engineering"

* Vauxhall VXR8
    "This is a BMW M5-style saloon for 335i money. It's an old-school super-saloon, big and a bit lairy, the Lotus Carlton remade"

evo_COTY_2007_gallery-link

evo Car of the Year 2007: The Result...

*** evo Car of the Year 2007: The Result ***

1st Porsche 997 GT3 RS = 95.7

2nd Ferrari 430 Scuderia = 94.9
    3rd Audi R8 = 93.6
    4th Mercedes CLK63 AMG Black = 91.4
    5th BMW M3 = 90.9
    6th Honda Civic Type-R = 89.4
    7th Lambo Gallardo Superleggera = 88.2
    8th Nissan 350Z = 87.6
    9th Lotus 2-Eleven = 87.0
    10th Mini Cooper S Works = 86.1
    11th Vauxhall VXR8 = 83.8
    12th Aston Martin DBS = 78.9

Re: evo Car of the Year 2007: The Result...

Great, i first thought the scuderia will make it, but they did it right! Proves that the EVO Magazine is one of the best Car Journals worldwide.

Will be interesting to read how a Civic Type-R will be better than a Gallardo??

wow,grazie!!! Porsche n*1!!!

Not exactly an unusual event with EVO...

(and before people take this the wrong way, I subscribe to EVO, have edition #1, read the mag religiously, blah, blah...but and it is a big hairy full bodied but...they do like the Stuttgart ponies, which suits me fine)

I'm waiting to see how the M3 and M3 CSL takes it to the 911. This should be interesting to watch.

that would depend on how much weight BMW can take off the new M3 to make the CSL...

I was secretly hoping that the Alfa 8C would make a surprise showing. That would be the perfect line-up.

Last year, the GT3 was also featured in the ECOTY a few months before it got its independent test in the magazine.

I can see the Alfa getting its own cover shot in a few months time, then.

IMO the Scud should have got it but love EVO, probably the best car magazine I get from the 12 I subscribe to.

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    Will be interesting to read how a Civic Type-R will be better than a Gallardo??

Lambo ceramic brakes are terrible. They are really hard to modulate. That's the only reason but it's enough.

I wonder if the RS beat the scud because the reviewers didn't like the F1 tranny?

Strange result, I am curious to get my copy and read the article.

Last year it was 599GTB first and GT3 second if I remember correctly, and this year the GT3RS which doesn't differ much from the standard GT3 beats the 430 Scud, which seems to be an even more driver's car than the 599.

Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    Last year it was 599GTB first and GT3 second if I remember correctly, and this year the GT3RS which doesn't differ much from the standard GT3 beats the 430 Scud, which seems to be an even more driver's car than the 599.

Scud's only more of a driver's car than the GT3 though if the driver has only one foot (F599 can be had with real manual gearbox)

I was hoping the 430 was going to win it.

2007...GT3RS
    2008...GT2....

Possibly... We will have to endure another year to find out.

Quote:
    BMCG said:

(and before people take this the wrong way, I subscribe to EVO, have edition #1, read the mag religiously, blah, blah...but and it is a big hairy full bodied but...they do like the Stuttgart ponies, which suits me fine)

Correct if I am wrong, but isn't it a rare event when Porsche is not COTY in EVO? I think the only time they don't win it is when they do not have a model for that year.

Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    Strange result, I am curious to get my copy and read the article.

Good point, straight forward!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    BMCG said:

Correct if I am wrong, but isn't it a rare event when Porsche is not COTY in EVO? I think the only time they don't win it is when they do not have a model for that year.

IMO you are confusing EVO with Car Magazine. The former is not biased in favour of Porsche AFAIK whereas the latter is definitely pro-Porsche.

Quote:
    nberry said:

...Then you can can consider yourself corrected Nick. Last year the 599 GTB won, and before that it was the Ford GT. Just because you want to believe something doesn't mean it's true.

The truth is Porsche > Other Car Makers

evo Car of the Year 2007: Ferrari 430 Scuderia...

2nd Ferrari 430 Scuderia (94.9)

"Ferrari are upset that the Scuderia has not won this eCoty. We know because they've told us. In fact they may try to prevent us from comparing future models with their rivals, which would be a shame because Ferrari has nothing to fear while it's building cars like this. The Scuderia is, quite simply, sensational. The first time I drove it, I spent the first ten minutes literally grinning from ear to ear, it's that much fun. I also can't believe Catchpole got this as his first Ferrari. Most of us had to start off in Mondials or 348s. Jammy sod.

"Everything a Ferrari should be," says Bovingdon. "I love the 430 anyway, and the Scuderia just builds on that, feeling even more controlled, even better tied-down."

Meaden: "It makes a mockery of the Lamborghini, which feels like something you'd build in your shed by comparison. Drive the Ferrari on the road and it just sucks you in completely. The noise is a bit gratuitous though - you simply can't make discreet progress. It doesn't need to shout about itself quite as much."

Green highlights the paddleshift box, so key to the Scud's character and so fast-acting it seems to pre-empt your squeeze on the paddle - it's the best of its kind, and the first one that makes even the most hardened sceptics question why they'd really want a conventional stick-shift manual 'box.

Metcalfe is the biggest Scud fan of all: "It's the essence of F1 in a road car, in a Ferrari, and all the magic just comes together, all the noise, that extreme engine behind you - and it's such an experience. There's nothing else that's quite done this." As Vivian says, "There is no other car on sale with this level of technology transfer."

John's not entirely convinced. "I still prefer a good stick-shift, it's still nice to finesse your own changes, and you can go at your own pace, not the one the car seems to be goading you to drive at." Still, the Scuderia has impressed us profoundly. It is a fantastically thrilling and accomplished supercar. "I cannot believe this car has not won," says Harry, who placed it first. So why didn't it?"

evo Car of the Year 2007: Porsche 997 GT3 RS...

1st Porsche 997 GT3 RS (95.7)

"The Scuderia is fantastic," says Bov, "but the RS just gives you that little bit more feedback and involvement, whether you're flat out or driving through town. It's also 95 grand when the Ferrari's Pounds170k and it's hard to get that out of your head because they're doing essentially the same job."

Out of nine judges, five of us placed the RS first, while a sixth had it equal first with the Ferrari. Roger says it's his all-time fave 911. I reckon it's the best sports/supercar I've ever driven. If the Civic Type-R was a great drive up the Col de Guery, the RS was utterly inspirational.

We're all agreed it has by some margin the best steering here, for its sense of connection and wealth of detailed feedback. "Stupendous engine, incredible steering and a chassis you'd never tire of" is Barker's summation. "If this was the one car sitting outside me house - I wish - I would have absolutely no regrets about not having one of the others," says Catchpole, and I know exactly what he means. As Metcalfe points out, it's not just a raw road-racer either. "I chose this for the trip down, and you'd never have done that with the previous RS. How do they make a car so competent on the road, then be so good on the track. The traction control doesn't get in the way either. And what an engine..."

"What I really like," says Meaden, "is that a car that's completely traditional, with a stick-shift 'box and the engine at the wrong end, can compete with a car that's completely the opposite, loaded with technology, with a ridiculously fast gearshift and the facility to adjust everything minutely. It's personal preference at the end. This is probably the best 911 I've driven. It's always alive, you always feel what's going on, even if you don't drive it quickly. I just like the process of making it go, of making everything mesh and gel, and the gearing allows you to savour the full reach of the engine. You have to work at it - get it right and it starts to dance, and then it feels like no other car here."

"The RS feels that bit more organic that the Scuderia, and by that I don't just mean slightly more feelsome (though it is), but because you sense it has evolved entirely naturally, with a clear bloodline from Porsche's motorsport programme, that it's a genuine brother to the Cup cars, where the Ferrari feels ever so slightly contrived, like it's trying a bit too hard to play up the F1 connection. Which just makes the Porsche that bit cooler. And you'd never, ever tire of finding it tucked up in your garage..."

* evo Car of the Year 2007 *

Re: evo Car of the Year 2007: Porsche 997 GT3 RS...

Could you post EVO comment on R8 as well? It seems to me that third place for R8 is excellent result in this competition...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    BMCG said:

IMO you are confusing EVO with Car Magazine. The former is not biased in favour of Porsche AFAIK whereas the latter is definitely pro-Porsche.

Don't know about Car, but EVO is well known for their love towards Porsches.

Why didnt they throw the turbo in there?

I wanna know how my car fared :*(

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    BMCG said:

Yes, the same way the Corvette is the best thing since sliced bread every year according to Car and Driver.

evo Car of the Year 2007: Audi R8...

3rd Audi R8 (93.6)

""This is by common consent the finest group of cars we've ever assembled for eCoty, and in another year any one of these could have won. But in third place is the R8. It's Audi's first stab at a mid-engined sports/supercar and it's quite astonishingly good.

Maybe the brakes aren't the easiest to modulate, but that's about it, there are no more holes to be picked. In a straight line this is as quick as you could ever reasonably need a performance car to be, and down a twisty, testing road it's as quick as anything most of us have ever driven. Utterly confidence-inspiring and faithful, too, even in the wet. Green is still slightly haunted by the memory of going out in the Gallardo and, despite having 100bhp more, only just being able to hang on to Barker in the R8. And as Mr Meaden and others proved, it'll go sideways till the tyres are down to their carcasses, so no complaints about 4wd being dull, thank you. As Bovingdon says, "It feels light, efficient, delicate, well balanced - everything Audis haven't been for as long as any of us can remember."

Meaden says it moved relentlessly up his personal order every time he drove it. "It never feels like it's four-wheel drive. In fact I wonder if it actually is... It's more special than a 911 Carrera, but then it should be because it's Pounds90,000. And it's so good on the track, you can't believe it's the same car that mooched along so effortlessly on the road. A real Jekyll and Hyde."

"I cannot believe that this car has not won," says Vivian, who, along with Barker, has it first on his scoresheet. "I'm still stunned by the reach and breadth of the R8's repertoire."

"It does the lot," says Barker. "Good on the hill roads on the first day, great in the wet on day two, great on the track - and you really can't ask any more of a car than that."

So why didn't it win? Perhaps because deep down we want our supercars to be just a bit more challenging, a little more edgy, to have an air of aggression and danger about them. The R8 feels like your mum could jump in and drive it quickly, and while that really shouldn't lose it any points, I have a suspicion it did. Also, this is the "entry level" R8; we know there will be a more "hardcore" versions to come. As Metcalfe says, it's just not as completely focused on the thrill of driving as the two cars that are left..."

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777887 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441963 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262904 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261136 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85387 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5669 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880809 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816334 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM