Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Venture shield or 3M clear bra

Which one do you folks prefer? My car is on the truck heading home and I want to make sure I choose the right stuff. I have been using 3M but saw the Venture shiled which was thinner and less visible. Thanks.

Re: Venture shield or 3M clear bra

I heard clear bras are a catch 22 the water from rain eventually ruins the inside of bra. Is this true?

I'd recommend getting the VentureShield with the clearcoating. I had the 3M stuff originally but they were yellowing which in turn made my blue car look weird between the non-covered portions and the covered.

I'm not sure what Panda heard because these things are sealed onto the car. There's no way water is getting under there.

^ a friend made a suggestion that perhaps the non-covered area might 'weather' differently to the covered area and once you take it off (if one ever does) then it'll look weird.

Seems a possibility, but for me the benefits of venturesheild outweighs that possibility, so I doing the venture shield (whenever i get my TT!!!).

As long as you maintain the non-covered portions properly then it'd be fine.

Been with the VS product for 2 years now and still looks as good as day one.

Also, my homework shows that the VS is more resilient than the 3m alternative. IMHO of course.

i am looking to change into Venture Shield if possible...

Here's my car with VentureShield. Sorry for the poor pictures and the dirty car...

saw the cat paw prints going over your car...

I would kill that cat

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Which one do you folks prefer? My car is on the truck heading home and I want to make sure I choose the right stuff. I have been using 3M but saw the Venture shiled which was thinner and less visible. Thanks.

Congrats on your car coming! Can't wait to see that beauty!
    Last 7 yrs I've had 6 of my own cars done & my moms car done w/ 3M. I'm not sure if there are different grades of 3M film but none of it ever yellowed like the film on the rear quarter from Porsche. The quality of the installation is really the biggest factor. My 3M installer doesn't use pre-cut kits he customizes every single install. Basically you want to make sure the film is being wrapped around body panels and not just cut to sit on top w/ the edges visible. My last few cars I've driven directly to the 3M installer from the dealership, getting it done right away is also important to how it will look because if you get pock marks in the paint this will be visible through the film. I don't have any experience w/ Venture shield but if it's thinner would be a little wary of it's ability to absorb impacts as well. But that's just a guess.

If you really want some expert advice give a call to my buds at Detailing Dynamics, they're pretty much the best in the business. I know you couldn't have your car done there being from CA but I'm sure they wouldn't mind steering you in the right direction. Eddy or Matt.
    http://www.detailingdynamics.com/index.html

Gregg,

I'd encourage you to give VentureShield a try especially the clear coat version since it really does look good. I drive my car quite extensively and haven't had any issues with rocks/debris going through the VS. On your black car, it'd especially be important that the clear bra is less visible. Your 997TT cabrio will be something special so try VS for a change. You just might like it. I came from years of using the 3M material and now I'm a VS convert!

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Gregg,

I'd encourage you to give VentureShield a try especially the clear coat version since it really does look good. I drive my car quite extensively and haven't had any issues with rocks/debris going through the VS. On your black car, it'd especially be important that the clear bra is less visible. Your 997TT cabrio will be something special so try VS for a change. You just might like it. I came from years of using the 3M material and now I'm a VS convert!

It's definitely something I'm going to ask about w/ my film guys when it's time. I know in the past they've been very anti any other film but the 3M Scotchguard. One of the negatives about the 3M, not really sure if this is still true but last 911 I did there was no option to cover the entire hood in one piece. I was able to do my 430 in 1 piece but the 997 hood is actually longer than the 430's so your only option was 1/3rd coverage or 3/4rs but not the entire hood, from what I've seen from yours and other's is w/ VentureShield you can do the entire 997 hood in 1 piece. But I remember them saying you want the film as thick as you can get while still being able to install it without any folds or bubbles, that it is more difficult to install thicker film but it will protect the best. I'll ask about it but to be honest these guys can be like Artists & asking them to use something they don't like to use isn't a good idea. All the installs have been pretty incredible, guys at car shows are always amazed & these guys are booked up for a solid 3 months w/ guys wanting to get it done but I will see.

You're right, black shows the film the most, I've had a couple of black cars done and they're the easiest to spot w/
    film. Silver is probably the most seamless along w/ Red.

same experience as stradale...multiple cars over 4 years absolutely no problems with 3m ...determine who has done the high end stuff for a long time....book early , like i didnt, the best always stay busy.

I went the VS clearcoat route a month ago after doing a lot of research on the net.In fact I first heard about it after reading Atomic80's posts a while ago.This was after I actually booked with a 3M installer!The colour of my car(admittedly only a Cayman S)is Seal Grey.Depending on the anle of the sun it is hardly noticeable.VS comes with a lifetime guarantee against discolouring.It better be good as it cost me nearly 50% more than the 3M quote.

Does anyone know a good shop to install Venture Shield around Newcastle in the North East of England, I have a tt cab on order, however my final spec is'nt in yet,just trying to get all my bases covered before the baby arrives.

Quote:
    bingo said:
    Does anyone know a good shop to install Venture Shield around Newcastle in the North East of England, I have a tt cab on order, however my final spec is'nt in yet,just trying to get all my bases covered before the baby arrives.

If you have no luck, post up on the Pistonheads or PCGB board where i'm sure you'd get a good deal of pointers.

Pop

Jason, I thought you had some crazy chemical treatment on your turbo, not film?????

Eric,

I have both. Matrix coating on the non covered portions. Those still need to be protected.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I'd recommend getting the VentureShield with the clearcoating. I had the 3M stuff originally but they were yellowing which in turn made my blue car look weird between the non-covered portions and the covered.

I'm not sure what Panda heard because these things are sealed onto the car. There's no way water is getting under there.

Thanks Jason. My installer is prety good but I think you are right with VS. It is thinner than 3M and probably the reason it is less visible. I got a rock hit on the 3M and it went right through it. What a Awesome site. You guys are great.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:

Last 7 yrs I've had 6 of my own cars done & my moms car done w/ 3M. I'm not sure if there are different grades of 3M film but none of it ever yellowed like the film on the rear quarter from Porsche. The quality of the installation is really the biggest factor. My 3M installer doesn't use pre-cut kits he customizes every single install. Basically you want to make sure the film is being wrapped around body panels and not just cut to sit on top w/ the edges visible. My last few cars I've driven directly to the 3M installer from the dealership, getting it done right away is also important to how it will look because if you get pock marks in the paint this will be visible through the film. I don't have any experience w/ Venture shield but if it's thinner would be a little wary of it's ability to absorb impacts as well. But that's just a guess.

If you really want some expert advice give a call to my buds at Detailing Dynamics, they're pretty much the best in the business. I know you couldn't have your car done there being from CA but I'm sure they wouldn't mind steering you in the right direction. Eddy or Matt.

Thanks Gregg. I'll post pic's as soon as I get the beast. Should be here by the end of the week at the latest. You have a good point about wrapping the bra around the edges. My last two cars had the pre cut and it did not cover the edges and technically you can get hit on those areas. I wonder if my installer will do the custome cut. Later.

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    same experience as stradale...multiple cars over 4 years absolutely no problems with 3m ...determine who has done the high end stuff for a long time....book early , like i didnt, the best always stay busy.

Good point. Good installer are always busy. I hope my installer offers VS. He has been carrying 3M. If not Premier in Fremont CA might have it. Got to make some phone calls.

3M

That's the same issue that my installer ran into. He was saying that it'd be impossible to cover the entire hood with 3M but he was able to do that with the clearcoat VS material. Looks great and I'm very happy with it.I plan to get the entire front fenders covered up next week.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:

Thanks Gregg. I'll post pic's as soon as I get the beast. Should be here by the end of the week at the latest. You have a good point about wrapping the bra around the edges. My last two cars had the pre cut and it did not cover the edges and technically you can get hit on those areas. I wonder if my installer will do the custome cut. Later.

Actually, i wouldn't let anyone armed with a scalpel near my car. Precut is really the way to go and interestingly, the film is laser cut with just a little more on each dimension so as to allow the wrapping of the edges. The film also needs a little tugging/stretching on application too.

Pop

Just been informed by a Venture Tape (now ex-) reseller that their Ventureshield Clearcoat product may look good but actually has very poor scratch resistance.

May or may not be true, but it's enough to make me look elsewhere now.

Surely they'd all say that wouldn't they?

Alex,

I haven't had any issues with the VS scratching. I usually use Plexus and/or plastic polish to remove any scratches that does show up. That works out well. FYI, 3M is also the same too.

Do you have Clearcoat Jason?

I was told that normal Ventureshield is much better for scratch resistance.

I had both versions. Clearcoat is better from my experience. FYI again, 3M is also clearcoated too.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803516 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448633 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266224 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90116 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6668 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885896 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833533 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM