Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche should be ashamed ................

Quote:
    cag64 said:
    Yeah SurferDude the crap about weight savings from a spare tire kills me.

It _would_ be interesting to know the facts on how the weight of a spare effects the 0-60 times and the MPG.

Supposedly that's a "big" reason Porsche eliminated it.

My guess is it saves a hundredth of a second? That can be compensated for by giving the drivetrain more of a beating during official testing by Porsche.

The argument about weight for a track use is specious since all owners have to do is remove the spare.

The loss of trunk space _could_ dissuade some buyers. But IMO those buyers are too emotional; you can think your way thru adapting to less space.

Dealers just say, "Hey! It's great! No spare! Better performance! Just call Roadside Assistence and RELAX!" Yeah, riiiight..., just "relax" when sh*t happens (anything can happen) while waiting on the side of the road... . Excellent sales tactic though since most people naively think it'll be "just a minor inconvenience" _if_ it happens to them.

LOL

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Stop the INSANITY! I ain't got time to waste at the side of the road, at the mercy of tow trucks, dealer service, and car rental firms.

No spare? Make sure you drive a different car if you're doing nightime driving on lonely roads or interstates in proximity to high-crime neighborhoods.

Going on a trip without a spare? Check cell coverage first and take a satellite phone just to be safe. Extra clothes for a few unexpected overnights is a good idea too.

Don't forget to take extra medications! Prosac should be among them.

Geez, guys. Let me see now, I need a spare tire (which size spare wheel/tire fits both the front and back?), jack, torque wrench, warning triangle, flashlight, flares, a sack for the dirty flat tire, gloves, and extra clothes. Have I missed anything?

I'm wondering, can I fit a trailer hitch to my car? If so, I could haul spare tires, a "low boy" floor jack, torque wrench, tent, extra clothes, generator, DVD player with a few good movies, a cooler full of beer, stove and anything else I'd need to make a real night of it.

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:

I'm wondering, can I fit a trailer hitch to my car? If so, I could haul spare tires, a "low boy" floor jack, .......

Always prepared...........that's a real pic

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Porsche eliminated the space saver spare tire..because the tires and wheels on the car are so BIG you can't fit a flat one in the trunk and you can barely fit one INSIDE the car unless your passenger is a housecat!!

That is why there is no "spare" tire anymore!

That is what you get for demanding HUGE wheels and tires on a SMALL car!

If Porsche put only 16" rims with 225-60's on 997s you would all be moaning and crying for bigger rims and tyres!

If you insist on getting a space saver spare and a jack, you better also get a long handled torque wrench..and some rope to drag the flat tire behind you!

Fatcats wake up!

You know, I've never heard that explaination before but it certainly makes sense.

Personally I'm really happy there is no spare. Rather have the space that I can use all the time than lug around a spare tire that I may never use.

knock on wood like the Boss I've only had 1 flat that I can ever remember & yes I changed it myself but then felt ridiculous by the time I got to work and ruined a good shirt & realized how lucky I was that no one slammed me from the rear when I was underneath the rear of my SUV getting the spare (man that was absolutely crazy)

Carrying around a spare is ridiculous in a 911 but that's just my opinion for me, guess if it gives others piece of mind no harm in that. But imo you're more likey to run out of gas or have the car breakdown for other reasons than need a spare. Hmmmmmm come to think of it have never gotten a flat on any of my motorcycles in the last 23 yrs either but guess I'd need help if I did, not like you can carry a spare on a bike. Ahhhh too much to worry about once you start thinking negative all the time.

http://www.stopngo.com/products/plugger/1000.asp

I picked up one of these for my motorcycle trip, and now move from bike to Porsche when needed. I am not associated with the product, it just gave me a bit of 'piece of mind' on my 7000 mile trip this summer. Coast to Coast and return. For $40.00, if it works once on a trip, it is well worth the money!

It fits in the glove box, along with a lawn size trash bag and a flashlight/headband combination.

I would much prefer this option, since the tire is fixed enough to allow moderate speeds and completion of trip. The trash bag is good for a little ground cloth while fixing the wheel, and of course, flats always happen in the rain/snow at night, so a flashlight that works with 'no hands' is helpful. Still need a small jack, emergency triangle in the trunk (unless someone else is with you to roll the car forward slowly to look for the damage).

Been plugging tires with a radial tire repair kit for decades. Unfortunately, most of the tools are cheap castings that can't easily penetrate the cords of today's tires. (If you get one of these kits practice down at the tire shop on a bad tire first to see if you can do it). I wound up making my own tool, by purchasing a Craftsman cotter pin removal tool (forged) and then went to work on it with an anvil, hammer, and a torch. I feel that it will hold up a lot better when you try to shove it in with the stringy stuff on it.

Dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    I wound up making my own tool, by purchasing a Craftsman cotter pin removal tool (forged) and then went to work on it with an anvil, hammer, and a torch.

Dan

YES! I love it. Sounds like many of the projects I'm compelled to undertake in MY garage.

I'll try and post a photo of what people should put in a little tire repair kit,--since taking a spare is just too bothersome to me. I have nearly 20,000 miles on my 06 (with a bit over a year driving the car), so I have to deal with it. I've used this method twice, lucky enough to have picked up nails/screws near the house where I could take the wheel off.

Dan

A repair kit is a good idea...

I understand wanting to be prepared, and wanting a spare-tire handy....

But I don't understand why some are LOSING THEIR MINDS over it....

So, once every few years, or maybe never, or maybe more, you find yourself in a lousy situation... Big flippin' deal... It's not life or death, none of it..

Murphy's Law dictates that if you got your wish and had your spare, you'd take railroad spike right through the radiator as cosmic balance teeters back toward center..

Yeah, I'd love a spare... But my car didn't come with one... Am I going to lose my mind, rant and rave and spew and moil, and trade in my 911 for a run-flat equipped car?? Nope, I'll take my chances I suppose and worry about things worth worrying about..

And if I do get a flat in the east-side of St Louis at 3AM in the morning, well... I'll survive, I won't be sitting on the curb sucking my thumb and cursing Porsche, I'll do what I've gotta do and bitch about it accordingly, as I do with all other bum-luck events.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    A repair kit is a good idea...

I understand wanting to be prepared, and wanting a spare-tire handy....

But I don't understand why some are LOSING THEIR MINDS over it....

So, once every few years, or maybe never, or maybe more, you find yourself in a lousy situation... Big flippin' deal... It's not life or death, none of it..

Murphy's Law dictates that if you got your wish and had your spare, you'd take railroad spike right through the radiator as cosmic balance teeters back toward center..

Yeah, I'd love a spare... But my car didn't come with one... Am I going to lose my mind, rant and rave and spew and moil, and trade in my 911 for a run-flat equipped car?? Nope, I'll take my chances I suppose and worry about things worth worrying about..

And if I do get a flat in the east-side of St Louis at 3AM in the morning, well... I'll survive, I won't be sitting on the curb sucking my thumb and cursing Porsche, I'll do what I've gotta do and bitch about it accordingly, as I do with all other bum-luck events.

Well said...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803363 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448612 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266183 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90093 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6643 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885802 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833422 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM