Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

1 year has passed since I got my 997 C2S

Friday 10 November 2006: That was a truly memorable day for me when I collected my 997 Carrera S from the Porsche factory in Zuffenhausen, Stuttgart. Here's a link to a report of my factory collection experience:

Factory Collection: http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...&PHPSESSID=

Since then, I've covered over 10000 miles in which my car has been an absolute joy to drive and to own running flawlessly throughout.

It's been such a thrill driving this wonderful car with special highlights for me being my trips to Wales, the English Lake District and around Europe (France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Monaco). Here are some links to reports of those trips I've made:

Wales: http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...&PHPSESSID=

Lake District: http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...&PHPSESSID=

Europe: http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...&PHPSESSID=

This has been my first Porsche. As a boy, I daydreamed endlessly about driving all kind of exotic sports cars and so buying this car has very much been the realisation of a boyhood dream for me.

I love the way this car feels to drive. The all-round performance (steering feel and precision, handling finesse, power, acceleration, braking ability, exhaust sound, ride comfort, fuel economy etc) has been simply prodigious. The power, speed and acceleration are more than I could ever legally use on public roads. This car simply delivers brilliantly whenever I feel like driving it spiritedly on twisty roads. It never complains when serving my mundane city commuting needs. It handles all my weekly grocery shopping without any fuss or drama. The cabin feels small and cosy yet it still carries my wife and I and a whole lot of luggage whenever and wherever we drive somewhere for weekends away or for longer trips...it's every car I could ever need it to be all rolled into one immaculately crafted package. It feels like it was built to last forever. Longevity, reliability and durability are attributes one associates with Porsche and for good reason. The quality just speaks for itself. It's so well made...that's so very reassuring.

I've now become really very attached to this special car. I've grown to adore and cherish it even more as time has gone by since I've been able to see for myself just what it can do and what a reliable and trustworthy friend it has been on my various travels. I love this car as if it were my ever-faithful Alsatian dog. I think once one has learnt to value what a 911 can offer all-round, it's very, very hard to opt for any other car since it's a very, very difficult proposition to beat overall. I have nothing but the highest admiration and regard for the incredible people that designed, tested and built this wonderful car. It's a masterpiece of design and engineering which one can enjoy every single day.

So that's my little tribute to this fabulous car. I guess the best thank you I can give it is to look after it well and to use it in the way it was built to be used. My car will never be a 'garage queen' doing only 2000 or 3000 miles per year out of fear of depreciation. I didn't buy this car as a financial investment. I bought it so that one car would fulfil all my real world needs and at the same time put a huge smile on my face every time I press my right foot on the 'loud' pedal...

I often thought about whether I would do anything differently if I had the chance to do it all over again. PCCB? X51 Carrera S Powerkit? Sure, they would be nice! But, in the end, the reality is that even a basic Carrera with no options would have been all the car I could ever have needed. It's just that good. The options are there as little extra bits of icing on the cake.

So what now for the future? Well, guys, I hope in 2008 that my wife and I will go on a number of Porsche Driving School courses. Rather than thinking about buying ever faster cars, I think we can enhance our enjoyment of the car that we have already got and our ability to drive it faster and more safely by developing our technical driving skills further under expert guidance and tuition from Porsche. I'm sure we'll then want to participate in track days and make trips to the Nürburgring Nordschleiffe.

Next Summer, my wife and I plan to go on a driving tour of the West Coast of the USA (especially with the USD/GBP exchange rate being so favourable!). Hopefully we'll be able to meet some American Rennteamers too. Such a pity our own 997 C2S won't be there to share the trip! I guess we'll need to rent something else but it won't be the same though Maybe we could rent a Boxster?

Lastly, I need to say a very sincere and heartfelt thank you to all the wonderful people here on Rennteam from whom I've learned so much. You've helped me so warmly and generously at every step with all your advice and wisdom when I was deciding whether to buy this car, what colour/model/options to pick and how best to look after it etc etc. And since then, I've really enjoyed sharing photos of my own trips with you guys...I've also enjoyed passing on whatever bits of knowledge and wisdom I could to others here who were thirsty for answers...

Here's looking forward to another year with this wonderful car and to Rennteam! Thanks again guys!;b

Re: 1 year has passed since I got my 997 C2S

I'm really touched... ... But i can only confirm what you're telling concerning car and rennteamers!
    I wish you and the family a lot of happy p-years to come.
    Being a p-driver for 12 years now, i can tell you: the car and the myth will only be growing on you.
    Every day i touch the wheel and bring the beast alive it gives that boydream's feeling over and over again.
    And as i told before, when you cross the channel next time, we only live 1 hours drive from Calais. Flanders fields will welcome you and the p-car!

Terrific post.

You will LOVE the driving school track experience. Prepare to start thinking that PCCB are a must!

Awesome write-up's!

HAPPY Anniversary!

Thx for your inspiring summary, easy

Currently have similarly positive views re: my 4mo CL63.... ...but, given my aversion to >6mo cars, I've spec'd another new CL63 for the next 6mo tour of duty

But also enjoyed my prior 997S greatly...in fact, considering getting a 997S w/PDK, PCCB and PSE (or 997TT 2.0) in CY08....absolutely brilliant cars....esp for the mtn twisties which I enjoy driving every wkend...

BTW you def want to secure a decent driving car for your CA visit....IMO should be a crime to drive interesting roads in an uninteresting car...simply a wasted visit to CA in a typical rental car....

Wow, Easy, that's another gem of a post! My sentiments too, and I'll add that they're damn sexy cars!

Congrats on your one year anniversary (it's been one fast year)! Many, many more happy miles to come. Cheers!!!

Congrats - I too am thinking about a family trip to USofA next year. Was thinking of flying to NY then flying to San Fran, renting a truck & driving to San Diago via Vegas...must do a little more research.

Truly the best of british write-ups

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I've now become really very attached to this special car.

British understatement at it's best I know in your case it's so much more than just becoming "attached" - it's true enthusiasm, even love, and yes, a bit madness also
    I bet you're the only (not German speaking) Porsche owner in the UK (and maybe beyond) who's able to tell all the options/specs by heart.....in German

I guarantee you that you will absolutely love the Sport Driving School
    Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to meet you and your lovely better half at one of these famous tracks...
    There is nothing like going for a joint spin on some winding roads in beautiful scenery with some P-buddies AND to play together on a track

Great post, Easy - here's to hundreds of thousands happy miles to come

Easy, that is a very nice summary which could as well be from myself (that is if I could write in English that well).

There's not one single time that I walked into the garage without having a smile on my face, thinking what a wonderful car it is, and how blessed I am to be able to own one of them.

I can only say good things about the Porsche Driving courses and recommend them highly to everyone. They are a blast.

@Silver Bullet, SVNSVN, Stradale, bridggar, ITALO: thanks so much for all your appreciation and kind wishes guys

@beltar: thanks so much! Next time I cross the English Channel, I'll be sure to arrange to meet up with you. You've been so kind in extending such a warm invitation. Actually, if you're planning another P car gathering on a weekend with a lovely scenic drive through the Belgian countryside, please do let me know. I'll come over especially for it Hope the fact that my wife and I don't speak Flemish isn't a problem - I know you guys in Flanders usually speak impeccable English.

@WBH: thanks - that's great advice I need to find a way to rent a really nice convertible (like a Boxster for example) when I hope to head over to California next year. The very thought of driving a typical rental is so terribly depressing. They're so characterless, anonymous and, as you rightly pointed out, they take away a good part of the potential enjoyment that one could have from what would otherwise be a memorable tour of the kind of simply unforgettable places and scenery you have in California, Arizona, Utah etc...so I will certainly try to heed your good advice if it's at all possible and affordable!

@Matt C: I know that feeling so well. Every time I see my car, a warm feeling wells up inside me. It's truly a love affair that also lasts You have a beautiful duo... a classic from years gone by and a modern masterpiece. You're also able to enjoy them both on the wonderful alpine roads you have in your beautiful country... you are indeed a very, very lucky man!

@Porsche-Jeck: you know me all too well! My feelings toward my car are much deeper than just an "attachment". It is, as you rightly described, a combination of passion and enthusiasm for the Porsche marque with great respect for what it stands for, a profound appreciation and admiration for what this car is capable of and how it takes any challenge thrown at it so easily and effortlessly in its stride. This car turns even the most ordinary drive into a special experience while making demanding drives into something one can accomplish easily every day. I simply marvel at what this car makes it possible for us to do. It flatters our talents making us mere mortals feel invincible.

As for knowing the German names for all the option codes I chose, yes, it's true, in my desire to get the details 100% correct (since I was buying my car from a German dealer), I did eventually become so totally familiar with them that I could parrot them by heart But time makes even the best memories begin to fade and, little by little, I am starting to forget the German names for various items like 'P17 -20mm Sports suspension' or 'X97 Gear lever in aluminium' (just kidding, it's "Sportfahrwerke" and "Schalthebel aluminium") But I make no excuses - I'm simply nuts about this car But we have to have passion for something in this life...otherwise what are we here for?

As for the Porsche Sports Driving School, I can't wait to go on one of their courses! I'm still choosing whether to do them in the UK or in Germany. The latter seems like a great way of combining an exhilarating driving course with a pleasant weekend in Germany with a lap (or maybe 10 ) round the infamous Green Hell

All the best,
    Easy

Congrats to you and your car
    It's great to read about so much passion after a year!
    Enjoy!

Jeeez Easy... Is it really a year already.

Seems like only yesterday you were agonising over the spec. - Arctic or GT or Slate etc.

Don't time fly, it's amazing. Would like to thank you for the incredible write-ups you've contributed during the year.

Are you sure you're a Lawyer and not a Journalist...

You know I kept my C2S for one year and sold it two months ago and bought the TT. I tell you what I would be lying if I say I enjoy the TT more. I enjoyed the C2S just as much and in some respect even more than the TT. Don't get me wrong I love the TT but the C2S is a fantastic ride

@John H: thanks You're one of the people that really helped me when I was having last minute doubts about colour combinations... I'm really happy you've enjoyed my write-ups Me? A journalist? Never... I'm a lawyer but I would definitely like to moonlight on the side as a writer...

Cheers mate

@edz61: exactly They're both great cars offering different things for different people

Easy, what a great write-up. I can feel your passion through your words.

I've always enjoyed reading your reports, always informative and nicely written. I think you're of great value to Rennteam.

I raise my glass to Easy and his stunning -20mm 997S!

Hey Easy, where's the link to your thread where you show some pics of your 997. I'm thinking of lowering mine just a little and was wanting to look what the -20mm looks like. It sounds about the perfect reduction in height to me. Is -20mm the stock height for the GT3?

Sure Here are some links to some more photos of my -20mm car:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...&PHPSESSID=

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...&PHPSESSID=

ResB, just to clarify:

Carrera: normal suspension
    PASM Carrera S: -10mm (i.e. 10mm lower than normal Carrera)
    P17 sports suspension: -20mm (i.e. 10mm lower than PASM Carrera S and 20mm lower than standard Carrera)
    997 GT3: -30mm (i.e. 10mm lower than P17 sports suspension, 20mm lower than PASM Carrera S, 30mm lower than standard Carrera)

Thanks for the info, just what I wanted to know. To be fair, even 10mm lower than my PASM C2S looks quite noticeable. Thanks again fella.

Yay! Glad to hear of your one year of fantastic (and trouble free!) P-car ownership. Several different countries and 10K miles too: sounds just thrilling.

I sure hope my current car doesn't read this board. With my C2S on our first year anniversary I maybe wiped a little brake dust off her wheels; on the second I think I traded her in.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777516 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441816 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262820 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261028 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85297 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5600 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880712 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816108 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM