Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Question for GT3 owners: as a daily driver?

Hi, I'm on the fence between C2S and GT3 and could use some input from 997GT3 owners.

1) How's the car as a daily driver? Because that's how I'd be using it. Everybody says pretty decent but am I better off w/ a C2S? I don't plan to take the car to the track very often.

2) I live in Seattle where it rains 3-4 months a year. I assume the stock tires suck in the rain, and I'd likely go w/ something along the lines of the Bridgestone Pole Positions and run them year round and save the cup tires for these rare times when I take the car to the track. --- with these tires, will the car be OK in the rain??

3) Anybody out there w/ an RS4? I'm trading my RS4 in for the C2S or GT3 (whatever I decide) but am hoping I won't regret it 6 months from now. Would love to hear from a 997 owner w/ an RS4. I have no kids so I don't really have a need for the 4 doors, but I do love the car A LOT! I just think I'll love the 997 even more.

Thanks,

-Roland.

Re: Question for GT3 owners: as a daily driver?

1. Both can be used as a daily driver, the C2S much more so, many here do exactly that. The GT3 can be used as a daily driver, although sometimes you may want something that is a little more discreet. The wing/aggressive lines draws some negative attention at times.

I daily drove a 996 GT3/RS for 2 years, racking up 60k~ miles half of which was on the track, had quite an amazing time. The ride could be harsh, especially in a city environment, however, on the highways the car is second to none, although the front end can fidget a bit even under nominal load.

One or two test drives will not be enough to really find out if it is the right car for you.

2. The stock Pilot Cups are newly revised this year and are slightly better in rain, but not by much. With Pilot Sport PS2s you should be able to get around most of the year, in rain they perform beautifully and you get more than enough grip everywhere else.

But when it gets very cold/snows, you should definitely have another car or be VERY careful with the GT3. Proper tires for the conditions are necessary. With the C2S I would be confident driving it year round, except for snow.

3. I have driven an RS4, it is definitely a very competent daily driver and a highly desirable car at that. The 4WD is very confidence inspiring.

On a final note, you may consider getting a Turbo or C4S depending on what performance you want. The 4WD may be necessary if the car is to be your daily driver in that region.

Most importantly is, will you have another car? If you are consolidating and just want to move to a Porsche/more performance, the turbo is right for you, it is the perfect all round daily driver.

IMO the GT3 will hold its value better. If you want the best car suited for DD then it's the C2S. Take your pick.

Consider own ground clearance issues, which can be prohibitive for some vs undergd pkg garage ramps, etc...

Biggest safety risk of GT3 is lack of PSM (and perhaps lack of street tires calibrated for GT3 chassis in rain/<45F temps)....doubt GT3 is car one would want from an active safety standpoint in either an emergent maneuver on a high-speed and/or wet fwy...or in mtn twisties vs errant oncoming car....w/steep downslopes/mtn walls as "exit" strategies...but we depend upon the handful of prolific street GT3 commuters to learn more re: its active safety in real-world conds....driving to dinner in BeverlyHills on a dry evening simply doesn't generate much real-world active safety data....

But GT3 (even w/its mockable, track-relevant sunroof ) is arguably a decent car on a dry, smooth track (just have ample liability coverage and smart lawyers on retainer).....

I own and 997 GT3 and ordered it for Hawaii, where it gets wet at times like Seattle. First thing I did was remove the cup tires and installed Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires. I also ordered rain sensor which is very convenient in a rainy climate.

As for the GT3 as a daily driver, it gets over speed bumbs well, but ramps, esp. steep ramps, require an angle of attack, or you're going to scrape the front spoiler. The front of the GT3 is only 4-1/2 inches off the ground. Keep that in mind. But mine negotiates well the speed bumps and ramps at the parking garage where I work.

But here's the down side. Somebody said above that the GT3 attracts a lot of attention. That's true. And it can seem really out of place, depending upon where you work. I teach at a university, where the hottest car in the garage is probably a tricked out Honda Civic, or a WRX. The GT3 really stands out like a sore thumb. I usually cover it. But most often, I don't even drive it. I take our VW TDI instead. Why? It fits in better in the university scene. That's a terrible reason not to drive such a beautiful car. But think about the social implications, and how your car will fit in.

Quote:
    WBH said:

Biggest safety risk of GT3 is lack of PSM (and perhaps lack of street tires calibrated for GT3 chassis in rain/<45F temps)....doubt GT3 is car one would want from an active safety standpoint in either an emergent maneuver on a high-speed and/or wet fwy...or in mtn twisties vs errant oncoming car....w/steep downslopes/mtn walls as "exit" strategies...but we depend upon the handful of prolific street GT3 commuters to learn more re: its active safety in real-world conds....driving to dinner in BeverlyHills on a dry evening simply doesn't generate much real-world active safety data....

Wow, that run-on sentencing is dizzying

Thanks for the input so far. I'm in an area where the GT3 won't stand out too much, but granted it will grab more attention than a C2S. I'm not an extrovert when it comes to cars which is why I backed out of my R8 order which was already in the queue -- I don't want the kind of attention it will draw. Even though the GT3 is louder, still much quieter than an R8 IMO.

The 996 GT3 lacked PSM, but that's not the case for the 997. Yes, I agree that no PSM would be a deal breaker for a daily driver in the pacific northwest. Given, similar tires to a C2S and PSM, I'm thinking the car should be no less managable than a C2S albeit not as surefooted as my RS4 in the rain where you basically feel like a god.

We do have a sedan, but this will be my daily driver. I drove the 996GT3 and ruled it out almost immeadiately. I drove a 997GT3 and it seemed much better for daily use but only time will tell and thus my question to this forum. I'm leaning towards the GT3 because of exclusivity and, by the time I mod my C2S to get it lowered and an aftermarket exhaust, I'm that much closer to the price of the GT3 anyway (where I'd just keep the stock exhaust and suspension setup).

-Roland.

If you have a daily driver then this is a no brainer, get the GT3 and enjoy it in good health!

We do have another car (my wife's), but this would be my main daily driver so unfourtunaly the choice is not that simple, but we do at least have an alternative for those days where the weather is really crappy.

You may consider picking up another cheap car as a daily for yourself. If you are considering heavy track use, the GT3 is a much more rewarding car on the track.

Tough decision

My wife is telling me to get the GT3. I guess that makes my decision easy. I was kinda hoping for the opposite. Go figure.

I bought the GT3 as a daily driver, but it didn't quite work out like that and now drive it for pleasure or longer work trips two or three times per week. I plan to drive it everyday, though, next summer. (six months of bad weather here starting right now).

A couple of questions come to mind.
    Are the roads nice and smooth and no sharp speed bumps or slopes?
    Do you have safe parking when you are at work?

The GT3 is a wonderful car to be in if you want a kick from your everyday drive. It does require a smooth surface, otherwise you tend to worry for the mechanicals of the car when you are running over the same old broken road each day.

There are also those days when you just want to get into a big soft mellow sedan with automatic shifting and use the car as your only place of relaxation, if you know what I mean.

As for wet roads vs. Cup tires, Cups are actually better than PS2 on a wet surface, but they turn around and run for cover when they see standing water.

Overall, if you have one other regular car to fall back on in case of need, please go ahead and do it. Life is too damn short to drive below-par cars every day.

Quote:
    Roland997 said:
    The 996 GT3 lacked PSM, but that's not the case for the 997. Yes, I agree that no PSM would be a deal breaker for a daily driver in the pacific northwest.

The 997 GT3 does NOT have PSM. There, I made the decision for you.

If you're willing to wait that long, the 2010 GT3 will have it.

Thanks Groom. I was sure the 997GT3 has the PSM, but it appears I assumed this was the case because the GT2 is getting PSM, or perhaps I misread. This kinda blows because everything was starting to line-up for a GT3 I do like having a safety net under my belt on public roads, etc.

You're welcome. The GT2 came to the market later than the GT3. Besides, the 996 GT2's career was harmed by its reputation as a widowmaker. The market wanted PSM for the GT2 - whereas many GT3 buyers are purists (or elitist snobs ) and did not want to hear of it.

I would not buy one without PSM either. In your case, if it was my first 911, and given your location, I'd buy a C4S.

I wouldn't get a GT3 as a daily driver in Seattle. It has no PSM but only has TC (traction control). I imagine it rains a lot in Seattle with some risk of aquaplaning. I imagine it also snows sometimes.

I think the AWD of a TT or a C4S would help but provided you use winter tyres if there's a lot of snow/ice, you could still use a RWD C2S.

You could always wait for a 997 GT3 MkII which is rumoured to get PSM when it comes out eventually in MY09/MY10.

NB the GT3 is 20mm lower than a PASM equipped Carrera S/4S. It will scrape the ground that much more.

NB both the GT3 and the Carrera can be ordered in subtle/discreet colour schemes or in lary colours so how obvious you want to make your car look is really in your own hands. The 'park bench' on the back of the GT3 is about the only real difference!

As for the discussion on requiring PSM, don't let it get to you. If you aquaplane a little bit, you don't need PSM. If you aquaplane like a skimming board at a beach, PSM will be no good.

From my experience, you would have to be going 300% quicker than common sense would let you in an environment like the USA for having to worry if you have PSM or not.

If you don't want to buy a GT3 because it doesn't have PSM, then you probably wouldn't want such a car anyway.

It's the same with a Carrera GT. If you would say that you wouldn't want a Carrera GT only because it doesn't have stability control, then your priorities must be steering you towards such cars as you drive right now (RS4, etc).

I have owned a few Porsches in the past (2 996TT, 1 996C4) and I really miss them. I test drove the 997 and I like it even more! I'm taking some time off from racing (club) so I feel the need to have a sportscar for the street.

I think if the car has TC, that will be OK enough. I won't be willing to push the car like the RS4 in the rain, but that's the trade off.

TT is definitely not for me. Great cars and fast, but they're not very exciting to drive ... not for me anyway. As has been said, they're like an appliance for speeed.

None of these cars (TT, C2S, C4, or GT3) are cars I'd ever drive in the snow -- we get very little here ... just lot's of rain in the winter.

In any case, I'll let you know what I decide tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice.

The GT3 hasn't worked as a daily driver for me, so far, for reasons mentioned above. If I had it to do over again, in a wet climate and on rough roads, I would opt for a C4S, or perhaps a lower profile, less expensive car like a Boxster or Cayman. Again, it all depends on your driving conditions, security of parking, etc.

Well here my thinking. I Own a Gt3, a mini and a PC. Just come back from town.
    I didn't feel relax and confortable cause i had all the eyes on my GT3 car.
    My point of wiew, this car don't belong in a town or for a daily basis use.
    But now if you haven't any problems with it,then go for it, we've only 1 life and i think that: if we can then we should.

Remember these simple equations:

GT3 = Track Car denatured for the streets.
    C2S = Sports Car designed for the streets.

Which do you think you'd want to be in on a daily-driver basis?
    For Seattle, which is wet - sometimes snowy - and has varying climate and roads that aren't always in the best condition, I really don't think a GT3 would make the best daily driver.

Well, for me it's a moot topic now. I pulled the trigger on a GT3. Let's hope it works out. Only time will tell but I think I have a good appreciation for the pros vs cons based on threads like the one here and on other forums. Won't be willing to push it like the RS4 in the rain but that's a tradeoff I think I can live with. Thanks for all the advice, etc.

Congrats, post pictures soon!

Quote:
    Cram said:

This coming from Switzerland, the country where you will see more Ferraris than in Italy.
    And which has the most wonderful roads.

Sure thing. I won't take the car for a couple of days (possibly weekend) but I'll be sure to upload photos.

Regarding the roads in Switzerland, etc., I was out there a few weeks ago on vacation and what a great place! We were driving the Autostrada up to Mt. Blanc and through the tunel into France wishing I had my RS4 (we were in a rented Ford focus instead). Damn, that would have been a drive to remember in the right car -- was anyway even w/ the Focus.

As far as the attention thing, well, I think we can at least all agree that I'm better off than in the R8. As Clarkson said, R8 attracts attention like a free beer stand and from my test drive on the I-405 I will attest that to be true.

Quote:
    MarekN said:
    Quote:
    Cram said:

This coming from Switzerland, the country where you will see more Ferraris than in Italy.
    And which has the most wonderful roads.

And which has also the most speed limits Radars controll .

I have to say that in a lap time of a year, i have maybe seen only 6 GT3 on the road and 3 down town. And there's been sold a few in Switzerland.

So i guess the other one must be on track or sleeping in the Garage.

Of course it's pretty cool and fun to drive on our passes and roads and i do it sometimes.

As said before, For me the GT3 belong on track.On the other side, i would go with the R8 working but this depending of my position in the job. I don't like showing of even knowing that with a car like this, i would.

Quote:
    Roland997 said:
    Well, for me it's a moot topic now. I pulled the trigger on a GT3. Let's hope it works out. Only time will tell but I think I have a good appreciation for the pros vs cons based on threads like the one here and on other forums. Won't be willing to push it like the RS4 in the rain but that's a tradeoff I think I can live with. Thanks for all the advice, etc.

How were you able to get a GT3 from a dealer? I had heard that none were available. Was this a new one? In stock? Preowned? What are its options?

The question on a GT3 as a DD seems to be very common. I'm moving back to Portland, Oregon sometime in the next three to four years (living in Holland right now) and have been thinking through as well. Yeah, I plan a bit in advance, but I'll have to save up a bit for this too as I only drive a Boxster now. Thankfully my timing should work out so I'll be able to consider a MY '10 which might be better suited. That said, I'll also watch for pre-owned 997 GT3s (maybe even yours) when I move back and maybe just buy a second daily driver with savings over buying new! Oh the advantage (later MY choice) of being stuck overseas where I can't afford to buy anything thanks to the weak US dollars (yeah, I'm paid in USD)!

Well, my inital impression of the car as a DD is it's doable but by no means a slam dunk. We'll see how I feel in a month or so.

I love the car. Getting back into the RS4 makes me feel like I'm driving a truck (and that's with the Stasis Motorsport suspension on the RS4). As others have said, you cannot even compare these two cars.

It's going to take me some time to feel comfortable driving the GT3 fast. The average village idi0t can drive the RS4 fast but I can immeadiately sense that the GT3 will bite you hard if you make a boneheaded move.

I'd say my biggest complaint about the GT3 thus far is the crappy stereo (I don't have the upgraded version). I've seen threads on this an all I can say is pay the $750 and get it -- it's not worth the weight savings or the $750 savings to not get it. I basically just turn the thing off. Hopefully a better set of speakers can help but, if not, oh well -- I'll just have to deal The car definitely knows what it is and it makes no excuses for itself.

Roland, I have Sound Plus, but only ever listen to it when I am taking a breather at a gas station. Under way, you can't hear anything anyway.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777336 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441734 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262796 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260977 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85249 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5584 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880662 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816002 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM