Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: GTR Review by Motor Trend...

so fugly...

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    so fugly...

+1. Painful to the eye your right...

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    so fugly...

I mean, can't they hire a DESIGNER? This looks like nothing...

The door handle mechanism is pretty trick. The engine note was subdued to my liking. I like cars that are vocal.

I love the photographer trying to be diplomatic when asked what he thinks about the looks: "Divided on the looks... I think it will grow on me... at first sight its not so pleasing."

I would gladly put up with a higher coefficient of drag if they could have improved the looks.

The door latch mechanism looks to be "borrowed" from the Aston Martin DB9 and V8 Vantage.

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    so fugly...

This coming from a Porsche owner?

Why would anyone buy a Porsche when you can buy this car? Price, performance, quality and looks, this car hands down spanks Porsche.

It just occured to me whilst watching that video who the real target market of this car is. M3 owners! Think about it. Similar pricing, similar style (2+2 coupe), just as ricey (!), and quick. M3 owners mainly buy their car for the speed and the practicality, and this car offers the same thing. I can't see too many of us 911 (because of loyalty more than anything!), Aston, Ferrari, Lambo owners ditching our cars for one of these. Sure we may buy one in addition to our more exotic machines, but certainly not as a replacement.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    so fugly...

Why would anyone buy a Porsche when you can buy this car? Price, performance, quality and looks, this car hands down spanks Porsche.

Why would anyone buy a Ferrari ?
    If you think this car looks better than ANY Porsche ever produced, I rest my case...

Porsche is facing stiff competition. First the Corvette C6/Z06, now this. I suspect the 911 market will change soon, due to competition and the huge depreciation due to the high volumes of 996/997. It will be interesting to watch.

I think it looks better than any Porsche except the gorgeous Carrera GT. It looks very modern.

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    so fugly...

If you think this car looks better than ANY Porsche ever produced, I rest my case...

Limited production, styling and resale value. Sadly, today, spending over a hundred thousand dollars for performance alone is a stupid waste of money.

I agree with Nick on every point he brought up, from Porsche design to the perspective of being exclusive.

With the growing number of build Ferrari's every following year, i would say that the Italians are learning a lot from Porsche and follow their steps... Not to mention the new markets and new (cheap) Ferrari's...
    In two words: Ferrari are going to the hill, from which the Germans are coming back!

Quote:
    Boyko23 said:
    With the growing number of build Ferrari's every following year, i would say that the Italians are learning a lot from Porsche and follow their steps... Not to mention the new markets and new (cheap) Ferrari's...
    In two words: Ferrari are going to the hill, from which the Germans are coming back!

Don't forget all the puma race gear, home stereo equipment and of all things, segways, Ferrari is splashing their name on. I will agree that Ferrari is a more exclusive name currently than porsche but they are going the way of Pierre Cardin if they aren't careful.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    so fugly...

Limited production, styling and resale value. Sadly, today, spending over a hundred thousand dollars for performance alone is a stupid waste of money.

I have to admit you got me confused now, are you comparing Porsche vs. Ferrari or GTR vs. Porsche?. Because if the latest, if for you the GTR is better from the point of view of 'limited production', 'styling', and 'resale value' than Porsche...it really became a funny thread.
    There are customers for GTRs, p-cars, f-cars, and I do not think the last two overlap with the first category...
    Sadly, you do not seem to understand than SOME customers buy Porsches for what they are: great sports car that can be driven everyday. From track to snow to shopping, they can do all of that. The GTR probably too. But is FUGLY beyond imagination.
    What is exclusivity? To have to wait for a car for a year after placing order?

You're in the wrong demographics! The GT-R is awaited like the Second Coming in some circles.

Yes, it's fugly, but so is half of the current Ferrari lineup.

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    so fugly...

So you think the Cayenne and the 924 are better looking than the GT-R?

The new GT-R is what the Z06 was for the sports car world a couple years ago. A sports car that is amazing, eats cars double the price, has cutting edge technology, but is made by a common name mass produced car manufacturer whom is not particularly know for high performance or buidling world class sports cars...

So while both cars have 911TT/430 beating performance, neither will be on the "to buy" list of many Porsche/Ferrari customers no matter how cheap.

But that is OK, because cars like the Z06/GT-R are for people who want to experience "world class" performance, and have accepted they will NEVER afford their dream car 430/599/GT3RS, but refuse to let that hold them back.

I will say, as a Z06 owner, I can relate to the GT-R buyer in many ways, and it is a blast going to the race track and passing all the cars above. For once you get to have your cake and eat it too!

It's funny, because I was thinking about how similar the two cars are just yesterday.
    TBH I think the Z06 looks much better (in spite of the pimp connotation where I live). On the other hand, the GT-R will be much more versatile

Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    so fugly...

Well, the Cayenne is a SUV so I did not count that one. 924 did not hurt my eyes at the time, it just did not age well.
    Wanna bet how we will look at the GTR in 20 years from now?

Quote:
    Jeannot said:

Anyone care for some origami?

Some cars age very well.
    I count myself very lucky today, I am in North Italy and I went to the port city Genova.
    Just before I left I saw a purple Diablo which is rare to see but then I saw driving right behind
    the Lamborghini was an immaculate Ferrari F40.
    I got a good look because the lights went red, even 20 years after it's debut it still looks absolutely stunning.

Quote:
    vinnie said:
    Some cars age very well.
    I count myself very lucky today, I am in North Italy and I went to the port city Genova.
    Just before I left I saw a purple Diablo which is rare to see but then I saw driving right behind
    the Lamborghini was an immaculate Ferrari F40.
    I got a good look because the lights went red, even 20 years after it's debut it still looks absolutely stunning.

Yes, the Diablo and F40 look timeless. I doubt we will be able to say the same about the GT-R, no matter how good (and I have no doubt that it's good).

Let me try to help you understand.

The GTR is a mainstream car. Most car enthusiast can afford it. Likewise, the Porsche 911 is a mainstream car afforadable to just about every car enthusiast. Thus, sales for the 911 are at a all time high and they are everywhere.

The 911 styling has not changed in forty years and has became a joke among car reviewers i.e. Porsche closed its styling dept. 40 yeears ago, the the 911 today looks like a retro joke.

The GTR is new and has performance parameters which apparently far exceed the 911 at a cheaper price point.

Ferrari and Lambo are in the upper echelon tier of cars. Their brand is considered exclusive, expensive and highly sought after. Though not the fastest, they command (particularly Ferrari) higher prices because of limited production, sex appeal and sensory overload.

Ferrari owners understand that performance is not the only measure of a car. We also understand that a high performance car should not be a daily car for obvious reasons known to everyone except Porsche owners. Even Porsche acknowledged this when they introduced the Cayenne.

Nick, Let me try to help you understand.

The GTR is not a mainstream car. It will be available to dealers in limited quantities, buyers will pay chump second stickers and insurance companies will demand extra proctology fees.

Most car enthusiasts cannot afford it. (the exception being many Rennteamers apparently)

The GTR is new. Its performance on paper approaches a 911, but in reality with its much higher weight it is unlikely to match or exceed it.

Ferrari and Lamborghini do occupy the upper market of sports cars, but at 2 to 4 times the price of a 997, they should! They do provide a more sensory aural experience. But with their way higher price and sexy looks, leaving one alone and out of sight in a parking lot is cause for concern.

Some Ferrari owners understand some things and some don't.

But most of them would understand Porsche's value proposition of a class leading lower priced (relatively)high performance sports car suitable for driving daily in all weather conditions.

I dont know why you keep comparing the price and ownership cache of a market priced slightly used $229,000.00 F430 coupe to the features, availability and price of a New $130,000.00 997TT. There is a bigger universe of buyers for a 997TT price car than for cars at Ferraris prices. So why worry about Porsche's sales volume.

And is anyone standing in line to order a Ferrari 612? And has anyone accused the 599 of being pretty?

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:

Well, the Cayenne is a SUV so I did not count that one.

Well, you did say "ANY Porsche ever produced"

Quote:
    Jeannot said:

About the same as I look at a 1987 911 slant nose now

[quote They do provide a more sensory aural experience. But with their way higher price and sexy looks, leaving one alone and out of sight in a parking lot is cause for concern.

Actually in Australia the opposite is true.

I was reading an article in a magazine about Australian business people and their exotic cars.

One of them collects Ferrari's and Lamborghini's and he said that when he had Porsches
    he could not leave them anywhere as people would always damage them.

He said that in the many years that he has owned the Italian exotics they have never been
    damaged.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    And is anyone standing in line to order a Ferrari 612? And has anyone accused the 599 of being pretty?

I'll give you that. The 612 and 599 are not exactly pretty cars. Now, after looking at Haudimal's post of older Ferrari cars recently question the looks of modern Ferraris. The cars stick out but I do not get the same emotion that I get when I look at the 575M and the 250GT SWB.

Back to the GT-R. It does look like it has a big arse. Kind of like J-Lo but chisled rather than feminine. I think Nissan is being overly ambitious with its figures but maybe not. Sometimes there is a time when a car just bends pyshics a bit as tire and chassis technologies advance.

The GT-R is only limited to the extend that dealerships purchasing new equipment to service the car.

At about $65,000, the car is affordable given leasing and other finance plans. The Mustang is now near $50,000 if you purchase Rousch/Shelby models.

The performance at the Ring beats every Porsche except the CGT and 997GT2. It's 0-60 time of 3.5 beats them all.

So why would anyone buy a Porsche given they are both middle class cars?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777207 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441699 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262779 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260951 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85223 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5568 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880655 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815942 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM