Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The Stig on the Cayman and LSD

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Like on humans :-)
    So the math 10% loss per 1000m or 3000feet is about right.
    Thanks for the reply!
    Here a pic from today, 2005 meters....

Beautiful! Here is a link to some info about Mt. Evans near Denver:
    http://momentsoflight.com/home.php?page=trips_co_mtevans

Wow! Beautiful, thanks for sharing !

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Wow! Beautiful, thanks for sharing !

Sure! One more shot...

I am amazed there are still trees at that altitude. Here above 4000m there is nothing....

"If I would be a hardcore Porsche addict, I would very likely own a 911 2.7 or a 964 RS" With 3 Porsches you are
    a addict.

Its only a matter of time until someone lets you drive a 73 911 with a uprated 993 engine and brakes.

Then you will see the light

Quote:
    RC said:
    And maybe it is this marketing ploy which annoys me most and not necessarily the car itself. Unfortunately this bad feeling reflects upon the Cayman. It is a pitty, this product deserves a better reputation.

I cannot agree more. But this is not about more HP or differentiation with the Boxster and 911. But in certain conditions, you cannot cope with the idea that this option is not available on a SPORTS CAR...It's a bit embarassing no?

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    you cannot cope with the idea that this option is not available on a SPORTS CAR...It's a bit embarassing no?

Yay, verily yay.

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    I am amazed there are still trees at that altitude. Here above 4000m there is nothing....

I think the trees stop around 12,000 ft...

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:Its only a matter of time until someone lets you drive a 73 911 with a uprated 993 engine and brakes.

Jim - I thought about doing that, but the Magnesium crankcase and transmission of the 7R block and early 915 gearbox saves alot of weight. I also love the sound and throttle response of the Bosch Mechanical Fuel Injection. I'd like to make a 2.8L twin-plug MFI motor (like on the 73RSR) which makes 308hp at 8,000 rpm when my motor needs a rebuild (currently makes 240hp from a 2.7L single plug and revs to 8,000).

993 motor can't rev over 6,800 - 7,000 rpm without some major work (like replacing the hydraulic lifters and cams to begin).

I did go for the more modern coilover suspension and 4-piston Brembos though...

RC, I think you have stated your views of the Cayman S often enough that no one really responds anymore. I myself have chosen to shrug at most of the generally mocking comments of the car from many others because it doesn't influence my enjoyment of the car. However, I think you have finally figured out that the problem is really you and your views of Porsche marketing, and not their cars.

Ultimately, buyers have to decide what is right for them, just as the 911 die-hards rejected the 928 as a successor in the past. Porsche now is happy to offer 911/Boxster/Cayman models because of the extensive parts and development sharing among these models, which was not the case with front-engined 924/944/968/928 models with the 911, and that lack of sharing is what ultimately doomed them. And the classic business case lesson in competition is "better to lose a sale to another product you produce than to a competitors product", so that is why the Boxster/Cayman's future is not in doubt in my mind.

Finally your quote really shows either your arrogance or ignorance as to why people buy Porsche's in different parts of the world. You are providing an excellent venue with rennteam.com for enthusiasts to talk about Porsche's; why would you care what someone wants to buy/drive? An analogy might be drinking Scotch (which I no longer do), but there are multiple brands, and within brands you have multiple years of aging, and single malt vs blends. Does the consumer of the single malt scotch really care if someone chooses the "lesser" scotch, or (horror of horrors) think less of this "obviously inferior" person? Life is about choices, and in the greater scheme of things, letting a sports car define who or what you are is a rather sad sign. But as you say, this is your forum, and people can choose to take it or not. In the end, I've chosen to stick around, but don't intend to just lurk and miss out on the fun! Cheers.
    Quote:
    RC said:
    I'm pretty sure that the Cayman sells well in some regions because people buying it either don't have a clue about Porsche tradition/heritage or fell for the "911" for less money marketing ploy. ... And maybe it is this marketing ploy which annoys me most and not necessarily the car itself. Unfortunately this bad feeling reflects upon the Cayman. It is a pitty, this product deserves a better reputation.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:Its only a matter of time until someone lets you drive a 73 911 with a uprated 993 engine and brakes.

Here's one I just saw: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=284061

I too fear the Cayman model line may will fail due to the way Porsche is marketing it. It isn't good enough for some (911 & HP fans) and is too expensive for others. Which is too bad because even in its intentionally inhibited state, it is already so close to brilliance.

I don't think the Cayman will fail. So far, it is a great success, way above their own expectations.

May be in a year time, we'll have a better idea wether it is or not a flop.

I suspect, it is no big deal for Porsche. The Cayman is sharing many parts with the Boxster. So if the hard-top version of the Boxster is a flop, no big deal as long as the Boxster keeps selling well. I believe Porsche has an overall target for Boxster + Cayman of around 25-30k units per year. So far they are absolutely on track to meet that target.

Margin wise, the Cayman is great for them. Production costs are more or less similar and as you may have noted, sticker price is significantly higher ...

I would say, I'm happy to see that Porsche is trying to diversify (broader) its client base by offering different products. Then wether the Cayman is better than the 911 is just a question of personal taste, nothing else.

I chose the cayman over the BMW M3. Life is full of choices, absolutely. If I wanted a 911 so badly I would have gotten it. Sure its more $$, but for the pleasure I get from driving my Cayman S I dont miss out a bit. Like I said, I did not want a 911. Maybe a solution to the "marketing ploy" would be to drop the basic Carrera and have the S as the entry level. I think PAG nailed it with this model. Its a blast to drive....really...just my .02

Well, RC, I certainly don't think it's a "senseless" discussion, and you may not really think that yourself as you've devoted a half page to it, though any conversation about anything other than ethics, love, or friendship may be considered "senseless." As others have recently pointed out, Porsche has allowed its "lower" models to outrun the 911 on occasion. The 944 turbo is one example, and the 911 is not so sacred that Porsche would not abandon it if it stopped making them money over a stretch of years. After all, at one point they wanted to abandon it, but couldn't because it was still profitable. It isn't written in the stars that the Cayman cannot have LSD or more power, though it may seem that way for now. It is simply a matter of demand, and the models are distinct enough to appeal to different customers. When customers begin buying enough Ruf Caymans, Cayman GTRs, aftermarket tuning packages, etc., when the press continues to criticize Porsche for watering down their products, or when another manufacturer produces a similarly focused product with more peformance hardware like a LSD, they may change their tune.

Quote:
    jlr said:
    Well, RC, I certainly don't think it's a "senseless" discussion, and you may not really think that yourself as you've devoted a half page to it, though any conversation about anything other than ethics, love, or friendship may be considered "senseless." As others have recently pointed out, Porsche has allowed its "lower" models to outrun the 911 on occasion. The 944 turbo is one example, and the 911 is not so sacred that Porsche would not abandon it if it stopped making them money over a stretch of years. After all, at one point they wanted to abandon it, but couldn't because it was still profitable. It isn't written in the stars that the Cayman cannot have LSD or more power, though it may seem that way for now. It is simply a matter of demand, and the models are distinct enough to appeal to different customers. When customers begin buying enough Ruf Caymans, Cayman GTRs, aftermarket tuning packages, etc., when the press continues to criticize Porsche for watering down their products, or when another manufacturer produces a similarly focused product with more peformance hardware like a LSD, they may change their tune.

I fully agree!

What Porsche NEEDS to do is race the Cayman and get it some motorsport street cred. Then some of the "only 911s have racing heritage" malarky can be slowly put to rest and another model line possibly allowed to live up to its potential. When Porsche's own Rohrl publically admits the Cayman is a more capable platform than the 911, Porsche HAS to be listening.

I am by no means advocating the elimination of the 911 line. It is an awesome car with an awesome heritage. But let all the brothers and sisters thrive as their potential demands, don't feed some more than others.

Quote:
    schao said:
    RC, I think you have stated your views of the Cayman S often enough that no one really responds anymore. I myself have chosen to shrug at most of the generally mocking comments of the car from many others because it doesn't influence my enjoyment of the car. However, I think you have finally figured out that the problem is really you and your views of Porsche marketing, and not their cars.

Ultimately, buyers have to decide what is right for them, just as the 911 die-hards rejected the 928 as a successor in the past. Porsche now is happy to offer 911/Boxster/Cayman models because of the extensive parts and development sharing among these models, which was not the case with front-engined 924/944/968/928 models with the 911, and that lack of sharing is what ultimately doomed them. And the classic business case lesson in competition is "better to lose a sale to another product you produce than to a competitors product", so that is why the Boxster/Cayman's future is not in doubt in my mind.

Finally your quote really shows either your arrogance or ignorance as to why people buy Porsche's in different parts of the world. You are providing an excellent venue with rennteam.com for enthusiasts to talk about Porsche's; why would you care what someone wants to buy/drive? An analogy might be drinking Scotch (which I no longer do), but there are multiple brands, and within brands you have multiple years of aging, and single malt vs blends. Does the consumer of the single malt scotch really care if someone chooses the "lesser" scotch, or (horror of horrors) think less of this "obviously inferior" person? Life is about choices, and in the greater scheme of things, letting a sports car define who or what you are is a rather sad sign. But as you say, this is your forum, and people can choose to take it or not. In the end, I've chosen to stick around, but don't intend to just lurk and miss out on the fun! Cheers.
    Quote:
    RC said:
    I'm pretty sure that the Cayman sells well in some regions because people buying it either don't have a clue about Porsche tradition/heritage or fell for the "911" for less money marketing ploy. ... And maybe it is this marketing ploy which annoys me most and not necessarily the car itself. Unfortunately this bad feeling reflects upon the Cayman. It is a pitty, this product deserves a better reputation.

Well said that man.

RC could spout anything negative the Cayman and the 911 ladies/boys would agree.

It's all a bit tiresome

Apart from sheer product diversification I think there is an additional reason why it made sense to PAG to introduce a 987-variant with a fix roof: in some countries the cab/roadster boom is coming to an end. For example in Germany from January through April the cab/roadster Market (all brands) lost some 20% compared to the previous year (Boxster lost some 15% - the only cab selling like hot cake is the 997 cab).
    So except the greedy pricing and some marketing bla-bla (I think it's not fair to blame the car for this) I think PAG did the right step to introduce the Cayman. And for those buying the Cayman it should be irrelevant whether it will be a marketing success in the long-term (only future will tell) - they buy it as they prefer it over other cars (Ps or other brands). I guess RC dislikes the fact, that some magazines has introduced the Cayman as a kind of "small 911". Of course it's not - it's just another sportscar concept. Even those "marketing-victims" who might have bought the Cayman because they believed the "small 911" story might be happy in the end, because obviously they have no clue about sportscars anyway. But I doubt that the majority of Cayman buyers fall into this category.
    And then: how many Carrera drivers use their cars just as a GT-ish daily commuter and never explore the sporty capabilities of this wonderful car ? It's a shame but is the Carrera to blame for it ? I don't think so!

I wanted to buy a Cayman S badly, but when I test drove it back to back with a 997C2 several times on road and on track I just knew I couldn't buy it. First it was too similar to my Boxster S (which also means great balance and handling), and secondly it just doesn't have the raw power and traction that comes with the 997. I have never been a hard-core 911 enthusiast. In fact I never used to like the way it drives on the track especially compared to something like a Boxster S that just have such sublime balance. With the 911 you really need to learn how to extract the best out of it whereas the Boxster/Cayman comes more naturally. But I ended up with a 997. The point I am trying to make is that it's not just 911 enthusiast who are seeing holes in the Cayman. Btw, most reviews for the Cayman has been great, but from what I can see the ones which compares 997 and Cayman S tends to favour 997 when price is taken out of context. The two latest comparison reviews I can think of are the Best Motoring Japan April 2006 issue and Wheels magazine (Australia). Both showed that the 997 is faster and "better". Until Porsche builds a Cayman with more grunt and LSD, I will be keeping my 997.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Until Porsche builds a Cayman with more grunt and LSD, I will be keeping my 997.

Enjoy your 997 in good health. I have no doubt that a more powerful Cayman will be forthcoming, but am less certain about the availability of LSD (which I would also welcome) in the US.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    The two latest comparison reviews I can think of are the Best Motoring Japan April 2006 issue and Wheels magazine (Australia). Both showed that the 997 is faster and "better". Until Porsche builds a Cayman with more grunt and LSD, I will be keeping my 997.

WAY, That Wheels test was for a Base Cayman and they counted lap times etc for their points (maybe acceleration too - I just skimmed it). BTW Best Motoring is an even lower quality source of information (and thats saying something because wheels comes up a long short).

I think the best mags are Auto Motor und Sport, and Sport Auto (neither in english unfortunately). Road & Track, Car and Driver, and even Motor Trend are perfectly good. And Motor in Oz is OK.

But after you've read what everyone else has to say the acid test comes when you try things for yourself. I think you did just the right thing trying both cars on road and track. I did the same and went the other way - Cayman S.

For me it's the better choice. I really like the way it feels and the styling. A 997S with LSD, sports suspension and -20mm would be very tempting though. The 911 clearly has a lot my torque and instant urge out of tight corners. But I fell in love with the CS...

Enjoy you 997.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    I have to say that I am very much impressed about the advantages of the -20mm/LSD set-up (compared to the PASM) and would like to see what this set-up could do in the Boxster S or Cayman S (unfortunately not available )

Porsche-Jeck, Thanks for your post and all those details. I was deciding between a 997S (with 10k on it) and Cayman S. I've put my order in for the Cayman S, and I have tee'd up with the dealer to fit KW v3 (height, bump and rebound indepentantly adjustable) coilovers.

I'm pointing this out to you as it will allow -20mm (and more if need be) as well as tightening the damping for track work. Presumably the same set would fit your Boxster also.

I agree that it's a pity that it isn't a factory option, but getting them dealer supplied is the next best thing (I made it a condition of the sale). Incidentally the KW's are made in Germany and have a lifetime warranty.

Keep up the good posts,
    Andy

Re: Walter Röhrl comment on Cayman

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Porsche could install even a 400 HP engine into the Cayman S and it would still be a...Cayman.....Don't fall for illusions and daydreams: Porsche will never allow the Cayman or any other car priced below, to "threaten" the 911.

Agree with your comments RC, but perhaps I was too subtle in the point I was trying to make. Original thread topic was 'Cayman handles great, but if they gave it more power and LSD it would probably lap faster than 911'
    'Aha,' said someone. 'But you can't have cheap cars go quicker than expensive cars! That's bad for business!'. So I said that on that basis, give the Cayman the same power as 911, and if you like LSD, and price it at or above 911 price. That would keep the 'Rules of Porshce' consistant, and give us buyers a choice of equally fast car to buy at that price point... That would keep us ALL happy, right? Probably not, for the reasons I was trying too subtly to say, and you less subtly concluded - the Cayman is too Boxster-like to price it at 911 levels and still sell, regardless of power or ability. I still like it though, more for being a winter version (or hotter climate version!) of the Boxster. Though would prefer it priced closer to the Boxster. (Either move the Boxster up, or the Cayman down).

so if you buy a cayman, you are a true innovator and trendsetter

Sounds like a good car, if you're in Syd please PM me and we can go for a spin!

Quote:
    andy987s said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:
    The two latest comparison reviews I can think of are the Best Motoring Japan April 2006 issue and Wheels magazine (Australia). Both showed that the 997 is faster and "better". Until Porsche builds a Cayman with more grunt and LSD, I will be keeping my 997.

WAY, That Wheels test was for a Base Cayman and they counted lap times etc for their points (maybe acceleration too - I just skimmed it). BTW Best Motoring is an even lower quality source of information (and thats saying something because wheels comes up a long short).

I think the best mags are Auto Motor und Sport, and Sport Auto (neither in english unfortunately). Road & Track, Car and Driver, and even Motor Trend are perfectly good. And Motor in Oz is OK.

But after you've read what everyone else has to say the acid test comes when you try things for yourself. I think you did just the right thing trying both cars on road and track. I did the same and went the other way - Cayman S.

For me it's the better choice. I really like the way it feels and the styling. A 997S with LSD, sports suspension and -20mm would be very tempting though. The 911 clearly has a lot my torque and instant urge out of tight corners. But I fell in love with the CS...

Enjoy you 997.

The Wheels mag comparison was a Cayman S. Base car wasn't available yet at the time. Anyway, too late to be asking me to enjoy the 997. It was replaced 2 months ago.

I was always curious if Porsche could remove the back seats of a 911, turn the engine/transmission around, and make the 911 midengine. Have it as an option , might resolve the issues of keeping the icon symbol of the 911, and apease the guys that want better handling or the need for two extra seats in the back.

Quote:
    chapse said:
    I was always curious if Porsche could remove the back seats of a 911, turn the engine/transmission around, and make the 911 midengine. Have it as an option , might resolve the issues of keeping the icon symbol of the 911, and apease the guys that want better handling or the need for two extra seats in the back.

Good lord man hold your tongue! I was all but run off either here or rennteam a year or so ago for daring to suggest that a Cayman with more oomph would handle turns faster than a 911 due to front/rear balance.

I was told in no uncertain terms that I was an [beep] and that everyone, especially the experts on the forum, knows the rear weight bias of a 911 is not subject to the laws of physics and actually makes a 911 handle BETTER than a car with more even front to back weight distribution!

Now you know too. I thought I would save you before you continued spewing Porsche heresy and found yourself burned at the stake.

Quote:
    andy987s said:I was deciding between a 997S (with 10k on it) and Cayman S. I've put my order in for the Cayman S, and I have tee'd up with the dealer to fit KW v3 (height, bump and rebound indepentantly adjustable) coilovers.

I'm pointing this out to you as it will allow -20mm (and more if need be) as well as tightening the damping for track work. Presumably the same set would fit your Boxster also.

I agree that it's a pity that it isn't a factory option, but getting them dealer supplied is the next best thing (I made it a condition of the sale). Incidentally the KW's are made in Germany and have a lifetime warranty.

Andy

Did you get your car yet Andy? If so what's it like?

Quote:
    faterikcartman said:
    Good lord man hold your tongue! I was all but run off either here or rennteam a year or so ago for daring to suggest that a Cayman with more oomph would handle turns faster than a 911 due to front/rear balance. (...)

Well, it's rarely popular questioning the 911 and its supposed superiority to the Cayman/Boxster - but I have spent many a post claiming just that - that the Boxster/Cayman is superior to the 911 handlingwise.
    I even fueld the fire further by reminding diehard 911-fans that the Boxster took the skidpad/slalom record a couple of years back and even beat the Enzo.

I guess they must have forgotten to throw me out
    But seriously, this very question will always be a matter of taste and preference. The difference in handling between the Boxster and 911 is miniscule when it comes to time gained in everyday life on real life roads.
    On the track I'd bet anything, that the Boxster/Cayman would outperform an equally powered 911.

I wonder what Porsche have in store - I reckon they will hit the performance limit of the rear-engine layout sometime in a not too distant future.

At any rate, this discussion will remain interesting only as an academic excercise I think

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776883 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441595 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262716 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260863 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85141 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5527 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880582 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815744 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM