RC, I think you have stated your views of the Cayman S often enough that no one really responds anymore. I myself have chosen to shrug at most of the generally mocking comments of the car from many others because it doesn't influence my enjoyment of the car. However, I think you have finally figured out that the problem is really you and your views of Porsche marketing, and not their cars.

Ultimately, buyers have to decide what is right for them, just as the 911 die-hards rejected the 928 as a successor in the past. Porsche now is happy to offer 911/Boxster/Cayman models because of the extensive parts and development sharing among these models, which was not the case with front-engined 924/944/968/928 models with the 911, and that lack of sharing is what ultimately doomed them. And the classic business case lesson in competition is "better to lose a sale to another product you produce than to a competitors product", so that is why the Boxster/Cayman's future is not in doubt in my mind.

Finally your quote really shows either your arrogance or ignorance as to why people buy Porsche's in different parts of the world. You are providing an excellent venue with rennteam.com for enthusiasts to talk about Porsche's; why would you care what someone wants to buy/drive? An analogy might be drinking Scotch (which I no longer do), but there are multiple brands, and within brands you have multiple years of aging, and single malt vs blends. Does the consumer of the single malt scotch really care if someone chooses the "lesser" scotch, or (horror of horrors) think less of this "obviously inferior" person? Life is about choices, and in the greater scheme of things, letting a sports car define who or what you are is a rather sad sign. But as you say, this is your forum, and people can choose to take it or not. In the end, I've chosen to stick around, but don't intend to just lurk and miss out on the fun! Cheers.
Quote:
RC said:
I'm pretty sure that the Cayman sells well in some regions because people buying it either don't have a clue about Porsche tradition/heritage or fell for the "911" for less money marketing ploy. ... And maybe it is this marketing ploy which annoys me most and not necessarily the car itself. Unfortunately this bad feeling reflects upon the Cayman. It is a pitty, this product deserves a better reputation.