Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Turbo thoughts.

Well I've been thrashing about in a Turbo for that last few hours (I'm normally a 997S driver), it's on an extended test drive. The power and speed are incredible. Point it at a bit of straight road and step on it and it's fabulous, it just seems to be craving more speed, 30 to 100 goes by in a flash, I could do this all day! Barrelling into the bends it feels wonderfully planted - a tad undefined steering-wise but still hugely inspiring.

Unfortunately, this isn't how we drive in everyday life and for the rest of the time, YUCK!!

It's a Tiptronic you see and it is singularly awful, just my opinion of course. I got bored very quickly with flicking the gears up and down myself on the wheel, it didn't feel right and second guessing the auto gets tiresome. Once you settle into letting the gearbox take over (and you are not in a 'hurtling at the horizon' situation) it becomes utterly boring, I feel like somebody else is driving, I'm itching to just be doing something. It's very un-involving and I wont buy a Tip in a million years.
    Luckily my friend is waiting for delivery of his manual and says I can take her out for a few hours. My car is already on order so I'm hoping the manual feels more alive. If not, it'll be GT3 time I think.

brad

Re: Turbo thoughts.

Well , FWIW from me and from what I have read from the above , ""cant you get a GT3 allocation"" . The GT3 will have that rawness to it..Turbo maybe too robotic for you ??...

Got the pm ,, talk later , bud....

Dunno Throt, the Tip is defo too robotic but I'm hoping that the manual is a different story. The GT3 apparently has a stiff clutch and needs to be thrashed to get the best out of it so it's all relative.

Considering my background, even having the gall to complain about this sort of thing is absurd. How many of us are lucky enough to have the opportunity to own these cars?

I need to STFU :-)

brad

It seems like whichever car people have, GT3 or Turbo, they miss the elements that the other one brings.

If you have the GT3, you miss the whip-lash inducing torque, rocket-like acceleration, and the daily-driver friendly nature of the Turbo.

If you opt for the Turbo, you miss the lighter, more raw feel, linear acceleration, and crisper handling of the GT3.

Neither one is perfect.

You just have to choose the one that meets MOST of your needs, and realize that you will miss some of the things found only in the other.

For me, Turbo with 6-speed manual, sport shifter, & LSD is as good as it gets in a single car. Actually, now that I think about it, a GT2 may be about perfect

it should be for the price tag

Quote:
    TX 911 said:
    It seems like whichever car people have, GT3 or Turbo, they miss the elements that the other one brings.

If you have the GT3, you miss the whip-lash inducing torque, rocket-like acceleration, and the daily-driver friendly nature of the Turbo.

If you opt for the Turbo, you miss the lighter, more raw feel, linear acceleration, and crisper handling of the GT3.

Neither one is perfect.

hence the GT2

I think TX911 hit the nail right on the head! Each car has its pluses and minuses. I went for the Turbo myself because I am not a track guy and comfort is a big asset in a car. I also like having rear seats and I like the way the turbo looks a lot more than the GT3. Its not an easy choice coming from a 997S which itself is more direct than the turbo. The main disadvantages of the turbo is the steering/suspension setup which is a bit "funky" but one thing nice about this car is its a very mod friendly car and a few tweeks here and there and the car is much better. Want more HP? No problem, a few simple mods and you have an extra 50-60 HP. The GT3 on the other hand is "pumped up" right out of the box and extracting more HP in a NA engine is a little more involved. IMO.

I thought about ordering the Sport Shifter but decided against it. I got so used to the stick in my 997 S that I didn't want to change that around. What do you think? I know the Sport Shifter is notchy when cold but how long does that last? It's for a TT Cab/LSD/PCCB/Sport Chrono..

Sounds like you'll be happy w/ your Turbo. I don't like 911 tips either, have to have mine in 6-speed stick. Even if the PDK was available I'd still go w/ the stick.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I thought about ordering the Sport Shifter but decided against it. I got so used to the stick in my 997 S that I didn't want to change that around. What do you think? I know the Sport Shifter is notchy when cold but how long does that last? It's for a TT Cab/LSD/PCCB/Sport Chrono..

I have the OEM sport shifter in my 997 C2S and, frankly, it's one of my favorite things. It's a bit notchy when really cold, but the precise, short throws makes shifting a pleasure. Also, IMHO, easier to heel/toe with it. I live in Chicago and even in the winter the short shifter is a pleasure.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I thought about ordering the Sport Shifter but decided against it.

I'm just an amateur but I would guess the SS would be good for this car. Why? Because the Tip is faster than the manual and so would seem to mean you really have to shift like a bastard to get the acceleration to match the Tip. Shorter shift would be better in this regard?

i really like the factory ss in my tt..its quick and precise like the bolt of a good rifle...i think the rap on hard to shift until warmed up is waayy over done, or at least with mine...perfectly fits as an integral part of the complete tt package....imo a must have option

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

I'm just an amateur but I would guess the SS would be good for this car. Why? Because the Tip is faster than the manual and so would seem to mean you really have to shift like a bastard to get the acceleration to match the Tip. Shorter shift would be better in this regard?

The tip being faster than maunual I don't put any stock in whatsover. Why? First off - it's only faster in a straight line WHEN YOU CAN CONTROL when to launch. So basaically anytime you're against another car or a traffic light you may OR MAY NOT have the tip's RPM's in the right range to launch the car. Sure if you're alone w/ a stop watch the tip may in fact be faster but if you're not up against anything what's the point. Another thing - NO LSD w/ the tip. Plus every single test I've read is negative on the tip either it's shifting when it shouldn't or just not as involving as the manual. For me TIP is not an option I have way too much fun shifting and feeling like I'm part of creating perfomance to give that up even if it were the case tip was faster which 95% of the time (for me) it's not. For my driving anyway. As for the Sport Shifter I am un-decided. The problem I'm having is - The stock shifter is so damn good. I know there's no way the SS will help me/my car perform better. Not unless I can feel as comfortable w/ it as I do the stock shifter and I'm thinking;that probably wont ever happen. If anything it's more likely that I'll miss a shift than be an advantage over the stock shifter. But I'm still giving it some thought. In one of the turbo brochures it mentions the SS is "noticeably" stiffer until warm-up and the 1 time I drove a 997 S w/ a SS it seemed to be very notchy and found myself holding the clutch and trying to find the gear. I was wondering if the SS gets warmed up enough to be as smooth as the stock shifter & if so how long/how much driving does it take 5 miles/10? Honestly if everytime I got in my car and had to drive it like that for 20 minutes before it felt as slick as the standard shifter that it's not for me. I guess I could always add it later.

I had the SS in my turbo and in my recent C4S. I absolutely loved the option.

On the turbo, the SS was a little more notchy when cold, but it quickly went away (less than 10 minutes) and then shifted so smooth and precisely.

On my C4S it didn't have nearly the notchy when cold feeling that the tt had, but it also had 3500 miles on the clock when I bought it.

I would order it on every Porsche from here on. Love it.

Oh...And the throws (imo) were noticably shorter.

Sport shifter: Definitely the stock shifter is very fine (not like 996 era shifter). I was wondering if the Sport version with it's shorter throw was some how generally faster.

Tip: It was in an Excellence review of the TT that said the Tip is more suited to the Turbo because it manages the engine's torque off the line far better than the manual. Apparently, if you want to get the incredible/alleged 3.4 (?) seconds to 60mph, you just floor it.

Just blabbing...,

If you can, try to go to a dealership and practice shifting with both a standard and sport shifter (which you can do without actually driving the car).

This is what I did. Afterwards, the sport shifter became an immediate "must have" for me

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

The tip being faster than maunual I don't put any stock in whatsover. Why? First off - it's only faster in a straight line WHEN YOU CAN CONTROL when to launch. So basaically anytime you're against another car or a traffic light you may OR MAY NOT have the tip's RPM's in the right range to launch the car. Sure if you're alone w/ a stop watch the tip may in fact be faster but if you're not up against anything what's the point. Another thing - NO LSD w/ the tip. Plus every single test I've read is negative on the tip either it's shifting when it shouldn't or just not as involving as the manual. For me TIP is not an option I have way too much fun shifting and feeling like I'm part of creating perfomance to give that up even if it were the case tip was faster which 95% of the time (for me) it's not. For my driving anyway. As for the Sport Shifter I am un-decided. The problem I'm having is - The stock shifter is so damn good. I know there's no way the SS will help me/my car perform better. Not unless I can feel as comfortable w/ it as I do the stock shifter and I'm thinking;that probably wont ever happen. If anything it's more likely that I'll miss a shift than be an advantage over the stock shifter. But I'm still giving it some thought. In one of the turbo brochures it mentions the SS is "noticeably" stiffer until warm-up and the 1 time I drove a 997 S w/ a SS it seemed to be very notchy and found myself holding the clutch and trying to find the gear. I was wondering if the SS gets warmed up enough to be as smooth as the stock shifter & if so how long/how much driving does it take 5 miles/10? Honestly if everytime I got in my car and had to drive it like that for 20 minutes before it felt as slick as the standard shifter that it's not for me. I guess I could always add it later.

SS on 997tt is simply amazing! PCCB and SS are probably 2 of the best elements of this car especailly compared to 996tt. I promise you, you wont regret it. I can still find no disadvantages . Cant feel any difference cold vs warmed up. Albeit i've only driven the car in the summer but still it is a joy to drive..

Quote:
    TX 911 said:
    If you can, try to go to a dealership and practice shifting with both a standard and sport shifter (which you can do without actually driving the car).

This is what I did. Afterwards, the sport shifter became an immediate "must have" for me

Very true. I drove a 996 with B&M Shifter a while ago: was instantly sold on it.

Stradale, you can try my ss out anytime. I'm in Glen Head, drive in/out of the city daily right thru your hood.
    Chris

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803838 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448701 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266296 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90150 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6723 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886019 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834056 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM