Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Another (experienced) perspective...

Heel&Toe is not from the past.

One could argue that manual trannies are from the past.

I enjoy H&T downshifts tremendously but I also like SMG doing the blips for me. Especially on the track.

Re: Heal and Toe

Quote:
    jerrygee said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    If you foot is not wide enough to roll toward the throttle then use the bottom half of your foot for braking and the upper part for the throttle. The critical part of heel and toe is the throttle which requires feel when you blip. Your toes are much more sensitive and the upper part of your foot more dexterous.

I agree that the toes are more sensitive and the upper part of your foot more dexterous and would likely lead to a nice heel and toe downshift but the most critical part of setting up for a turn taken at speed is the braking. I would rather be off a bit with my throttle during the downshift and smooth things with the clutch but be spot on with my braking. All things being equal there is no other single driver input the will affect lap speeds more than your braking technique.

It would be next to impossible to threshold brake using your heel as it does not have the sensitivity of your upper foot to receive the feedback from the tires being transmitted through the brake pedal nor is there the dexterity to properly modulate the brake pedal to maintain the proper brake pressure. You can quickly articulate the upper part of your foot at the ankle but the heel would need to be articulated at the knee and hip which would be too slow and insensitive to maintain the proper brake pressure.

But then again you could just mash hard on the brakes with your heel and let the ABS sort things out.

I agree with your post. But keep in mind brakes today are more sensitive and don't need extraordinary pressure to do their job. This is particularly true with carbon/ceramic brakes.

Also consider that the throttle has a long pedal and is more responsive by applying pressure near or at the top and not the bottom.

That said, rolling the foot is the preferred approach.

BTW, I cannot be believe I am agreeing with Adias but H&T is archaic (though necessary on the track if using an antiquated manual transmission) and certainly not needed in street driving (other than for practice).

Quote:
    nberry said:
    BTW, I cannot be believe I am agreeing with Adias but H&T is archaic (though necessary on the track if using an antiquated manual transmission) and certainly not needed in street driving (other than for practice).

I guess it depends where (and how) you do your street driving. Where I live, there are many opportunities to H&T and occasional opportunities to lose the car over a significant drop-off if you don't H&T (or do it poorly)...

Quote:
    nberry said:... BTW, I cannot be believe I am agreeing with Adias but H&T is archaic (though necessary on the track if using an antiquated manual transmission) and certainly not needed in street driving (other than for practice).

Hey Nick! That's cause for celebration. Perhaps next time I am in the area. I'll be in SD in late August for a conference but have no spare time.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:... BTW, I cannot be believe I am agreeing with Adias but H&T is archaic (though necessary on the track if using an antiquated manual transmission) and certainly not needed in street driving (other than for practice).

Hey Nick! That's cause for celebration. Perhaps next time I am in the area. I'll be in SD in late August for a conference but have no spare time.

Grant, remind me not to ride with you if I am in your area.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    If you foot is not wide enough to roll toward the throttle then use the bottom half of your foot for braking and the upper part for the throttle. The critical part of heel and toe is the throttle which requires feel when you blip. Your toes are much more sensitive and the upper part of your foot more dexterous

Actually that won't work very well and is verty unsafe. Use the ball of your foot for braking and roll your foot towards the gas pedal to blip it. By using the ball of your foot you effectively narrow the gap between the pedals but still have the capability of providing enough pressure on the Brake pedal to slow/stop safely (the main priority). It takes less force to blip the throtlle with the side (RHS) of the foot.

That is how they taught me in the the Ferrari school too !

Sorry if this is a naive question, but where in corner would you HT shift? I would assume before you started the turn, while the car is still going straight.

Quote:
    SurferDude said:
    Sorry if this is a naive question, but where in corner would you HT shift? I would assume before you started the turn, while the car is still going straight.

Yes, you are correct. When more advanced you can do it a little later just as you are turning in...

If HT is so antiquated then why do they spend time teaching it at PDE? They're only current factory race drivers what do they know LOL!
    FWIW the key to proper and easy HT is completion of 80% of the braking first. It's acually quite easy in the 996/7 series.

Quote:
    nberry said:Grant, remind me not to ride with you if I am in your area.

Well, we can stick to the track if you prefer

The funny thing about all of this heal tow stuff is that most of the people that I work with have no idea what to do with a race car can and do understand the shift process. Most country people grow up driving machines and have a great developed sence of machine. I think some of the people who can buy this type of car have no chance of ever knowing how to drive but just trying to learn. I drive a dump truck everyday and my RS will be built this week. I know I can drive. To mesh a 18 speed with a 625 hp cat in all conditions with 80,000lb on the tare you have to know how to drive. If coal truck drives could spend the weekend in your cars I think your lap times will pale.

Just my Kentucky two cents worth.

Jim Huber

Quote:
    jimhuber said:... To mesh a 18 speed with a 625 hp cat in all conditions with 80,000lb on the tare you have to know how to drive. If coal truck drives could spend the weekend in your cars I think your lap times will pale.

Just my Kentucky two cents worth.

Jim Huber

I imagine there is a bit of a difference between driving an 80,000lb mammoth and a 3,000lb 911. We look forward to hearing your exploits with your new RS.

Quote:
    TT Gasman said:
    If HT is so antiquated then why do they spend time teaching it at PDE? They're only current factory race drivers what do they know LOL!
    FWIW the key to proper and easy HT is completion of 80% of the braking first. It's acually quite easy in the 996/7 series.

Because most of the cars Porsche sells are manual. THeir PDE is performance oriented geared toward track work.

FWIW both Hurley Haywood and Dave Murry (Porsche factory drivers of some repute ) told me unequivically they preferred Tip over manual.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    TT Gasman said:

Because most of the cars Porsche sells are manual. THeir PDE is performance oriented geared toward track work.

FWIW both Hurley Haywood and Dave Murry (Porsche factory drivers of some repute ) told me unequivically they preferred Tip over manual.

I like Heel and Toe, but you're right. See this article :
    Canadian Driver.

Quote:
    Dubliner said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    TT Gasman said:

Canadian Driver.

QUOTE (from article)
    Still, if I had $162,516, I would buy the Turbo with the six-speed manual for the extra control and fun-to-drive characteristics that a traditional manual transmission offers.
    UNQUOTE

Exactly the point. It's about the fun..

Quote:
    jerrygee said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    If you foot is not wide enough to roll toward the throttle then use the bottom half of your foot for braking and the upper part for the throttle. The critical part of heel and toe is the throttle which requires feel when you blip. Your toes are much more sensitive and the upper part of your foot more dexterous.

I agree that the toes are more sensitive and the upper part of your foot more dexterous and would likely lead to a nice heel and toe downshift but the most critical part of setting up for a turn taken at speed is the braking. I would rather be off a bit with my throttle during the downshift and smooth things with the clutch but be spot on with my braking.

It would be next to impossible to threshold brake using your heel as it does not have the sensitivity of your upper foot to receive the feedback from the tires being transmitted through the brake pedal nor is there the dexterity to properly modulate the brake pedal to maintain the proper brake pressure.

Thank you for expressing my thoughts and especially for doing so much more lucidly than I could have.

Quote:
    jerrygee said:
    But then again you could just mash hard on the brakes with your heel and let the ABS sort things out.

But where are the skill and fun in doing that?
    Which was exactly your point, I guess.

Re: Heel and Toe

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    TT Gasman said:

How many times a year do Hurley and Dave shift manuals? I think part of what influences them is they shift thousands of times more a month than those who don't drive as they do. No wonder they're fatigued. Dave's heel and toe is flawless, I must say.

Watch this video...keep watching as eventually, they will have a picture in picture showing their footwork. Clicky

thats 'best motoring' i guess, very useful stuff, i got to know when i should apply left foot breaking from watching one of their videos.

I learned to heel and toe barefoot. You have a really good feel for the pedals barefoot and you can blip the throttle with the right side of your foot easily at street speeds. Once I got the hang of it I bought some good driving shoes and they work great. When driving a 997 very aggressively the car just will not shift from 3rd to 2nd or from 2nd to 1st without heel/toe shifting.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Maybe, they just wanted to make you feel good!

Quote:
    Dubliner said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    TT Gasman said:

Canadian Driver.

To tell you the truth, when I was at PDE, I never believed everything they said. Great guys, but they were Porsche employees. It seemed that every recommendation they had was the most expensive!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804017 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448728 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266344 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90164 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6748 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886074 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834393 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM