Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Thoughts on TT handling issues

I upgraded my 996TT X50 suspension to H&R coilovers and sways. The improvement over the original soft suspension was dramatic. The Turbo was transformed into a credible track car that could beat most GT3s at the Ring.

Some people confuse their opinions with facts and thus have difficulty tolerating different opinions and experiences.

Quote:
    AUM said:

I upgraded my 996TT X50 suspension to H&R coilovers and sways. The improvement over the original soft suspension was dramatic. The Turbo was transformed into a credible track car that could beat most GT3s at the Ring.

Some people confuse their opinions with facts and thus have difficulty tolerating different opinions and experiences.

And some people confuse the 996 Turbo with the 997 Turbo.

I wonder with all the talk on handling, would it be possible at all to buy the -20mm springs that's currently being offered in Europe? Are these options even available for the Turbo or is it exclusive only to the non Turbos/GT3s?

Quote:
    GT said:
    Yes you are right you don't make many friends like this..
    Have you considered that many of the people on this thread might not agree with some of your opinions but they choose to say nothing or politely disagree? Trust me on that RC, not all of us shared your enthusiasm (and I am being VERY diplomatic in the choice of words here) for the tip but respected your opinion.

Frankly...I don't care.
    Let me explain why:
    1. I think I was the first person on this planet who made complaints about the AWD of my 997 Turbo back in June 2006, when most people on this forum haven't even seen one in reality.
    2. I'm not part of the discussion team because I have long legs, big boobs and an angel face.
    3. I may "know" a few things, many of you guys don't know, simply because I get to talk with certain "people" who are directly involved with 997 Turbo development, marketing, etc. Of course I can't make a public statement, telling you guys "Mr.XXXXX" said that...", proving it as a fact to you. I can't, I won't and even if I sometimes "bite on my tongue" to write something to see some "stupid faces", I shut up because it would be the end of ANY further information flow in the future.
    4. I don't earn money with Rennteam, on the contrary, it costs me a lot of money and even more time. So no matter if I'm nice or not, I don't gain anything from it. I only gain something, when I tell the "truth" and this is respect. Now I know that telling the truth involves proving it. Here comes my "dilemma": either you trust me or not. Again: I don't care. Because after I shut down my computer, I go out with the family, I enjoy driving my 997 Turbo and I may even eat a huge water melon in an hour or two. Meaning: Rennteam is a COURTESY from me, CR and the other moderators and the people involved to YOU. We're very happy that so many people exchange their opinions and experiences but in the end, sometimes there has to be somebody who is right (or almost right ). Not always but sometimes.

Messing around with a 997 Turbo's chassis setup is surely not the best idea. There are one or two tuners who succeeded in squeazing out a second or two on the Hockenheim Ring Kleiner Kurs, compromising comfort. Otherwise, the stock car was most of the time better or at least at the same level and when it came to comfort too, the tuner cars had no chance. I had GT3 swaybars on my 996 Turbo before I installed a H&R coilover kit...sold to me as "compatible". Guess what happened, a little bit of fun driving and the rear swaybar BENT!

A last point, I said it about the 997 Turbo engine and I say the same thing about the 997 Turbo chassis again: the 997 Turbo is NOT a 996 Turbo. Period. Things are more complicated and complex.

RC,

assuming that Porsche spent thousands of hours tuning the 997TT (a point not disputed by anyone) what do you make of the WIDE range of factory specs for the alignment? With your extensive pro driving backround, certainly you recognize the implication of varying half a degree of camber per corner, and that pro drivers do not all run the same aligment specs on the same team - that they are adjusted per individual driving style and per course.

Porsche has different alignment recommendations for the GT3/RS street vs track, are there such recommendations for the TT or are we to accept whatever alignment specs the line workers put on our cars from the factory?

My GT3 was defective upon delivery at Stuttgart - very embarrassing for Porsche. Many US GT3 owners have found their cars to have varying alignments and heights side to side(!)on their new cars, including varying sway bar settings. I think it would be foolish to blindly assume each of our cars has the correct optimal alignment from the factory, especially considering the WIDE range - there is no one "OPTIMAL". Would you agree?

Quote:
    RC said:
    1. the handling "issues" (which actually aren't issues but the intended factory setup, we are a tough audience ) can't be corrected by new alignment settings. Do you really thing Porsche would give Horst v. Saurma a faulty car? Or a car which has a bad alignment? You can bet that the tested 997 Turbo was in a perfect condition for the Nordschleife and Hockenheim, Porsche already knows the optimum settings (tire pressure, alignment, etc.) for this car.

2. the 997 Turbo is a hell of a sportscar and it can be driven very fast. The setup however shows way too much oversteer for an AWD car which in my opinion indicates a "typical" 911 setup to add some juice to the driving experience. Honestly, I prefer being faster than having to deal with this kind of "entertainment" but some people may prefer drifting. A couple of years ago, many 996 Turbo drivers but especially car journalists made complaints about a boring and too neutral setup. This is what happens now if Porsche listens too much to the press and some customers, who may not really understand what driving is all about. If I want to slip and slide, I better use something less expensive and something I don't have to pay 400 Euro per rear tire for this kind of fun. To each his own I guess but I definetly would have loved to see a more neutral setup on the 997 Turbo. This would also make driving during winter time less "exciting" (the kind of excitement I really don't need ).

RC, do you believe that Walter Rohrl acheived a 7.40 time on the Nordschleife with a stock 997 turbo? I think this is material to the discussion.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    RC,

assuming that Porsche spent thousands of hours tuning the 997TT (a point not disputed by anyone) what do you make of the WIDE range of factory specs for the alignment?

1. More importantly, did Porsche really "screw-up" the 997tt's handling or does it handle "just" the way they intended? If anyone on this forum has "real" inside information, please give us the scoop. I just can't believe something went wrong. Handling is what Porsche knows better than most other car manufacturers. It just handles differently than the 996tt - perhaps to make it more entertaining for magazine reviewers? Didn't one of them like it so much, they went out and bought it? Don't forget, the Turbo isn't intended for extended track use - that's where the GT3/GT2 comes in. Perhaps past versions were more "track focused". The 997tt now competes more with MB's SL55AMG.

2. Has RC driven a 997tt 6-speed with LSD (as his previous turbo)? IMO, we shouldn't be comparing a Tip with a 6-speed. It just adds confusion.

3. Does anyone know if Walter Rohrl had PSM turned on or off while achieving 7.40 at the Ring? And what about Sport Auto, what setting(s) did they use? IMO, professional drivers shouldn't use PSM, which is intended for typical (non-professional) customers.

Please keep in mind that RC has long ago, described in detail the exact nature of this newly designed AWD system in the 997 TT. This system has nothing in common with the 996 TT or 997C4/S and is therefore subject to the usual growing pains of a first year production automobile. We are just going to have to have a little faith that Porsche is either working on improving this further or has come to the conclusion that its as good as its going to get(not likely) in pleasing its 997 Turbo's main audience. RC's final conclusion of the 997 Turbo is hardly what I would call pro-porsche. Also, this is hardly a reason not to go for a 997 TT because the majority of its customers won't even approach what it takes to even feel it. Summary: This new AWD system in the 997 TT if driven aggressively enough exibits a squirmy/floaty feeling that compromises your perception of the stability/confidence that a car of this caliber should deliver. Because this is an all new technology so different from anything before it, experienced drivers may be taken by surprise. I am not experienced enough to technically describe exactly what is happening but I am experienced enough to know that it is. Please do not quote W.R.(he is employed by Porsche not Porsches customers).

Quote:
    eclou said:
    RC,

assuming that Porsche spent thousands of hours tuning the 997TT (a point not disputed by anyone) what do you make of the WIDE range of factory specs for the alignment? With your extensive pro driving backround, certainly you recognize the implication of varying half a degree of camber per corner, and that pro drivers do not all run the same aligment specs on the same team - that they are adjusted per individual driving style and per course.

Porsche has different alignment recommendations for the GT3/RS street vs track, are there such recommendations for the TT or are we to accept whatever alignment specs the line workers put on our cars from the factory?

My GT3 was defective upon delivery at Stuttgart - very embarrassing for Porsche. Many US GT3 owners have found their cars to have varying alignments and heights side to side(!)on their new cars, including varying sway bar settings. I think it would be foolish to blindly assume each of our cars has the correct optimal alignment from the factory, especially considering the WIDE range - there is no one "OPTIMAL". Would you agree?

Eclou, I don't think I ever posted the numbers for my 1st alignment (this is the alignment after I took delivery of my car and no more a week later. As you can see a lot of red before any adjustments and the differences afterward really improved the cars tracking (was pulling to one side a bit). It didn't address much of what I describe above but still a big improvement. I thought all cars were checked as part of PDI but apparantly mine wasn't. I highly recommend having your car checked before delivery and don't forget to ask for the printout as proof that the final numbers are all green (within range).

Quote:
    eclou said:
    I think it would be foolish to blindly assume each of our cars has the correct optimal alignment from the factory, especially considering the WIDE range - there is no one "OPTIMAL". Would you agree?

I FULLY agree with you, I know enough 911 owners who got their cars not only with a pretty "conservative" alignment setup out of the factory but even with a faulty one.
    Adjusting alignment settings? Again I fully agree. Using parts from other Porsche models like the GT3 or GT3RS for the 997 Turbo? I would NEVER do that. Most people seem to overlook the fact that even the GT3 isn't a real race car, for pro motorsport or even Cup racing only, Porsche Motorsport offers special parts for their customers, incl. private customers (not only racing teams). Some tuners unfortunately use these parts to PROVE to customers that their tuning is better than others because they're using original Porsche parts. This is CRAP. These parts have been designed and developped for SPECIFIC models in the Porsche model range, you just can't take a GT3 swaybar and add it to a 997 Turbo, this is simply ridiculous.
    Adjusting swaybar settings is OK but don't forget one thing: the settings Porsche is choosing are for street driving. Also don't forget that the swaybar settings have to be individually adjusted (same with chassis) for different tracks, same applies to tire pressure for example.

Another thing and I really don't want you guys to get me wrong: the 997 Turbo is no race car, it isn't even a very good track car in it's original state. Yes, you can do some very fast rounds, maybe five or six or maybe even 10. Due to the weight, the tires sooner or later will be a serious problem, even if the car is equipped with the Cup tires.
    There are various options to tweak a 997 Turbo to be a good (not perfect!) track car for amateur drivers, no doubt about it. For all other stuff, the GT3 can drive circles around the 997 Turbo, especially in the hands of a pro driver. Ask one of our editors who owns a Carrera GT and who track races the car on a regular basis. He drives VERY well but he encountered one or twice a 997 GT3RS on the race track which busted his a.. . Of course driven by a pro driver. I hope you get my point.

If people still can't resist, do it right: remove weight from the Turbo, reducing it by 50 kg or more are easily achievable. Get a coilover kit from H&R for example and adjust this kit INDIVIDUALLY (incl. height and alignment settings) to the tracks you're driving on. Use the Michelin Cup tires and a very aggressive alignment setting. This still doesn't make a race car out of the 997 Turbo but it improves handling a lot, of course comfort will be almost gone completely.

I know that many people believe the Porsche ads that their 911 models are actually race cars for the streets. This is ADVERTISEMENT and MARKETING, they're NOT. Look at the 997 Carrera with the M97 engine, this car isn't even supposed to be driven on slicks due to possible serious problems with engine oil distribution. ALL Porsche cars are made for street driving, with the exception of the Cup models, etc. which are prepared at Porsche Motorsport. Right now, the sportiest model in the Porsche model range is the GT3RS, with the right knowledge, you can tweak this little baby to a real track monster but only if you know how to drive and if you're willing to sacrifice comfort and maybe also a set of tires each track event.

Regarding the time Walter Röhrl achieved in a PRE-SERIES 997 Turbo: 1. Walter Röhrl is a Porsche testdriver, he works in development, he knows the cars he is driving VERY well. 2. Walter Röhrl knows the Nordschleife like his own backyard. 3. the 997 Turbo he was driving was PERFECTLY adjusted (tires, chassis, etc.) to the Nordschleife. 4. nobody really knows if this car was stock since it was a PRE-SERIES car.

Meaning: yes, I believe WR might have done 7:40 on the Nordschleife in a 997 Turbo but for me, this doesn't really count since there is no official independent confirmation and we also don't know anything about the technical specs of the 997 Turbo he was driving. I AM a Porsche nut but I'm also a person with an almost pathological need for fairness.
    It would be unfair towards other car manufacturers or even withing the Porsche model range to use this 7:40 time for comparison. Just my personal opinion, nobody has to agree.

Btw, regarding opinions and agreeing with them or not: I NEVER deleted a post because somebody had a different opinion. I also NEVER made fun of anybody who had a different opinion. There is however a point where I have to be blunt and frank with my words and this is when it comes to SAFETY: modding your 911 is a nice thing to do, I love tweaking things too. The 997 Turbo however is a hightech sportscar and tweaking it requires a lot of knowledge, a lot of skills and a lot of INSIDE information from development. I'd say that right NOW, only three or four tuners really have what is required and none of them is originating from a country outside Germany. Of course they pass on their experience and products but usually ONLY to their reps in other countries, not other companies who are in competition with them. Just a little hint.

I'm really sorry if I offended somebody but sometimes I get the feeling that some people are more occupated with "tweaking" their cars than actually driving them. Because IF they would really drive them at the limit, they would learn and understand where the weak points are and that these cars actually don't need much tweaking. 50 HP more, a coilover kit (H&R or a comparable very high quality product) and the 997 Turbo is the perfect fun car, with the right tires and chassis settings even for the track.

Everything else should be considered "cosmetic" (20'' wheels, lowering, bling bling stuff, etc.) or "crazy" (700 HP engine, etc.). Everyone is free to do what he wants with his money but sometimes the need for "individualism" not only looks ridiculous, it may also be dangerous at some point. Guys, I'm not your enemy, even if I sound like an arrogant bastard.

Thanks RC. Time spent on driving skills/driver (vs time spent on tweaking car) is always going to be the far biggest improvement/modification!!

RC- great writeup. However I actually DO think by all accounts the Carrera GT was/is a race car!

Well said, RC. I doubt anyone would have problems with this style of writing.

Quote:
    RC said:

Meaning: yes, I believe WR might have done 7:40 on the Nordschleife in a 997 Turbo but for me, this doesn't really count since there is no official independent confirmation and we also don't know anything about the technical specs of the 997 Turbo he was driving. I AM a Porsche nut but I'm also a person with an almost pathological need for fairness.
    It would be unfair towards other car manufacturers or even withing the Porsche model range to use this 7:40 time for comparison. Just my personal opinion, nobody has to agree.

Absolutely, I was simply curious as to whether Walter Rohrl uses PSM or not. I haven't yet had the chance to experiment with PSM on/off at the track. Does anyone know whether the Turbo's handling characteristics differ much?

AFAIK, the CGT was a road car project that was created from a discontinued race car project.

Quote:
    mp said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

Absolutely, I was simply curious as to whether Walter Rohrl uses PSM or not. I haven't yet had the chance to experiment with PSM on/off at the track. Does anyone know whether the Turbo's handling characteristics differ much?

I bet you it was with psm off. When you are driving close to the limits, psm will slow you down on tight turns (there are a few on the ring) and will cause understeer. I have experimented with it a couple times, on a long tight course (AX) and on a fast course (DE), in both situations the car was much faster with psm off and the understeer was gone. Also, throttle oversteer is only possible with psm off.

I wonder what RUF's take on the TT suspension will be. I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of upgrade options they offer for the TT.

TX This is a quote from HP Lieb whom I consider a friend when asked about the best set up for a 997TT

The most important thing is to realign the car with stock specs. The secret is to make the front toe "0" or 5' out. Rear is max. tolerance in.

Quote:
    TX 911 said:
    I wonder what RUF's take on the TT suspension will be. I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of upgrade options they offer for the TT.

Currently...none as far as I know. Even the engine mod isn't ready yet. The reason is easily to understand: the engine mods require a lot of attention and experience since the VTG chargers are not the same kind of hardware as normal chargers. The chassis is almost perfect, there isn't much to tweak either, caution and a lot of experience is needed to squeeze a bit more out of it without ruining comfort or even the behaviour at the limit completely.
    Ruf should have something ready in two weeks or so, I'm curious too.

Regarding heavy understeer: I actually only have heavy understeer with the Cup tires I currently drive. I still owe you guys a driving experience report, stay tuned.
    I also have to admit that I was VERY lazy and didn't have the alignment setting checked on my car's chassis. I had planned to go for a more aggressive setup when I put the Cup tires on but since then, I didn't have the time.

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    I bet you it was with psm off.

PSM was off.

TX; HP Lieb is the head of service and development at RUF and an accomplished driver.

Very nice and informative post. Thanks for taking the time.

Quote:
    RC said:

I FULLY agree with you, I know enough 911 owners who got their cars not only with a pretty "conservative" alignment setup out of the factory but even with a faulty one.
    Adjusting alignment settings? Again I fully agree. Using...snip...snip....

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Very nice and informative post. Thanks for taking the time.

I second that

Lou,

Forgot to thank-you for alerting us of the "alignment issue".

After reviewing the Ring's lap times "once again", it does seem a bit odd that while the CGT/GT3/RS times are close between the Mfr's claims and Sport Auto, the Turbo's are totally out of whack! See for yourself:

CGT - Mfr - 7:36
    CGT - SA - 7:32
    CGT - Auto Bild 7:28/7:39

In this case, Sport Auto actually beat Porsche's claimed time! Only one of Auto Bild's time (7:28) seemed too fast. All the others were close.

997GT3 - mfr - 7:39/7:47
    997GT3 - SA - 7:48

Again, besides the 7:39 time, the other two are unbelievably close.

997GT3RS - mfr - 7:42/7:45
    997GT3RS - SA - 7:48

All three times are close.

And finally:

997tt - mfr (Motor Trend??) - 7:40
    997tt - SA - 7:54

Either 7:40 wasn't Porsche's official time but actually Motor Trend's (not to be trusted) or perhaps Sport Auto didn't feel comfortable turning off PSM, slowing down the times slightly. In addition, PSM may not have been engineered for CUP times, causing even more trouble for SA. Either way, SA's tt time just isn't as convincing as all the other times listed.

I'm bringing this up (again) because much has been made about Sport Auto's disappointing time for the Turbo. All of a sudden the Turbo became a poor handling sports car - Porsche blew it! If you really believe this go drive one. It may make a believer out of you.

And Lou, please keep your impressions coming (even for the GT3). You're one of the few here with significant track experience.

Thanks again,

I had mine at Pocono in the red group, it was one of the fastest cars there, it smoked everything on the back straight, rock stable at 150mph lap after lap. All it needs is a set of cups and an aggressive alignment. Nothing could keep up with it, or hold it off, not z06's, vipers, even a gt3, you name it, they faded away. Only the prepped track cars with R cmpd tires and the rest threatened me in the twisties, but mine is bone stock with crappy bridgestones. The SA guys must have been SA gals, the car is fast as hell.
    Lou is right, the car can be down right nasty at the track.
    BTW, I know for a fact WR turned a 7:40 in the TT with psm off/sport on.
    C

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803984 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448725 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266333 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90161 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886067 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834314 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM