Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

WHY people order their GT3 RS with sport chrono ?

The sport chrono is useless in the GT3 RS and the chrono looks so ugly. Just wondering why people willing to pay for that thing.

Plus, any option is a must have item for the RS?

Thanks.

Re: WHY people order their GT3 RS with sport chrono ?

cruise control

isn't cruise control is another option?

Quote:
    997GT2 said:
    The sport chrono is useless in the GT3 RS and the chrono looks so ugly. Just wondering why people willing to pay for that thing.

Thanks.

SC can be quite convenient on the track (timing of laps...)

Totally agree. There's much better data acquisition tools out there. I'm ordering mine without it.

[quote

Additionally, the folks at Porsche say with the SC engaged, the PSM "threshold is further extended to enable greater driver involvement."

totally agree... same applies to GT3... useless and ugly...

In the GT3 the Sport Chrono button, when in Sport mode, increases horsepower slightly. Not so in the standard Carrera and Carrera S. This is reason enought to have the sport button. Not certain if you can get the sport button w/o the wart.

Quote:
    Circe said:
    [quote

Additionally, the folks at Porsche say with the SC engaged, the PSM "threshold is further extended to enable greater driver involvement."

The GT3/GT3 RS doesn't have PSM, only traction control (TC).

Quote:
    Leawood911 said:
    In the GT3 the Sport Chrono button, when in Sport mode, increases horsepower slightly. Not so in the standard Carrera and Carrera S. This is reason enought to have the sport button. Not certain if you can get the sport button w/o the wart.

Yes, you get the Sport button without the wart. SC is only a timer in GT3/RS...

Re: WHY people order their GT3 RS with sport chron

and as has been stated a WOFTAM....

I got it because it looks good to me. Don't care if it is not value added.

Why get deviating stiching? Worthless, but people like it.

Guys - please advise. My sales guy is saying that Sport Chrono adds c.15 bhp top end (few hundred RPM to the red line) in a GT3 (non RS). My view: 1) I don't like the clock thingy cluttering the dash and 2) I don't want to spend the extra cost on something frivolous like that. However, the extra bhp are a big deal to me on such a car.

Does anyone know if the Sports Chrono really adds any bhp/RPM, or is that rubbish? Thanks. (Sorry for hijacking your post slightly 997GT2).

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    997GT2 said:

Thanks.

The SC interface for timing sucks, not accurate at all, and no track sanctioning body is going to accept those times.

Proper racing uses an in car transponder.

Quote:
    SimonWall said:
    Does anyone know if the Sports Chrono really adds any bhp/RPM, or is that rubbish?

Rubbish

It is rubbish.

The sport button which is standard on the GT3 controls those functions (engine, TC limits, exhaust valve, etc).
    Sport Chrono on the GT3 only gives you lap timing functions, AC memory functions and some other fairly useless things like that)

Your salesperson is thinking of what Sport Chrono does on other Porsche models which does in fact control motor functions but not on the GT3.

This is a quote from the 2007 Porsche GT3 Technical Introduction booklet.

"When the Sport Button on the center console is depressed this increases the engine torque by up to 18 ft. lbs. (25Nm) in the mid-rpm range and selects a sporty tuning for Traction Control (TC).
    In the sports setting the exhaust backpressure in the variable exhaust system is reduced, the gas cycle improved and the torque noticbly increased in the rpm range between approx. 3,000 and 4,200 rpm. This leads to an increase in the torque values of between 15 and 18 ft. lbs. (20 and 25 Nm) and an increase in the power output of 13 bhp."

I hope this puts the Sport Chrono question to bed once and for all.

Grant and Diver, Thanks for the definitive reply guys. Very clear. You've saved me wasting c.Pounds350 on something I neither need nor want.

When I ordered my GT3 my sales rep, who happens to be a long-time friend, told me right off not to get sport chrono--that it was unnecessary on the GT3, because the car already has the sport button, as mentioned above.

Upon his suggestion, I also did not order PCM. This is the way I've seen RS cars configured--no sport chrono, no PCM. Since I don't use NAV (Hawaii), the PCM would not be of much use to me, esp. without sport chrono. Anyway, so far I'm happy with my decision (tho the car ain't here yet!).

I'm with bluehinder, I don't really care what the chrono does but I have it on my RS b/c I think it looks good too. I prefer the look of the dash with the sport chrono actually.

In the GT3 it is called Chrono not Sport Chrono

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    997GT2 said:

Thanks.

The SC interface for timing sucks, not accurate at all, and no track sanctioning body is going to accept those times.

Proper racing uses an in car transponder.

Read some of Markus' posts regarding recent Porsche offerings and you'll see how serious his statement was .

WHY people order their GT3 RS with sport chron

Quote:
    - MJS - said:
    In the GT3 it is called Chrono not Sport Chrono

It's called "Chrono" unless you also order PCM and then it's called "Sport Chrono Plus".

I'm with RR4,
    I know it does absolutely nothing for the performance, but for the 200 odd grams it weighs I think it sets the dash off nicely. It is the only option I ordered, and I don't regret it.

It looks stunning.

Ciao

Quote:
    TEE1 said:
    cruise control

cruise control is another option. you can however set an audible for when you exceed a certain speed limit.

you can also program things like central locking to lock the doors at pull away or above 5mph and so on and also the amount of time the headslamps and taillights stay on after you have turn off the engine. you can also set the footwell illumination level ! or alternatively have the dealer set these options and save you self the money and yes i have driven a car with this installed.

I had a look at the GT3/GT3RS brochure over the weekend.

All the sport button does is change the suspension settings nothing else.

The Crono and Crono Plus packages are merely timing packages. I suspect that the as the Crono Plus pacakge can only be had with the sat nav package means that the GPS is required for the lap timing - otherwsie a beacon would be needed.

Bob

GT3 sport mode...

"Powering the new 911 GT3 is a rear-mounted, water-cooled six-cylinder boxer engine. Special features include four-valve technology and VarioCam variable valve timing.

Naturally aspirated, it develops 305 kW (415 bhp) at 7,600 rpm from a total displacement of 3,600 cm3. Maximum torque of 405 Nm is available at 5,500 rpm.

When 'Sport' mode is selected, as much as 25 Nm of additional torque is available in the medium rev range, i.e., below the point of maximum torque. Maximum engine speed is 8,400 rpm.

Even more impressive is the high specific output in excess of 115 bhp per litre. Indeed, the new 911 GT3 offers more power per unit of engine displacement than any other naturally aspirated production Porsche. The benchmark sprint to 100 km/h (62 mph) requires as little as 4.3 seconds. Maximum speed is 310 km/h (193 mph).

All components in the engine cooling system are directly sourced from the Porsche Motorsport division. Each of these parts is, of course, designed for the unique challenges of endurance racing.

Ultra-lightweight connecting rods and specially lightened pistons help to further reduce the oscillating masses, enabling a more dynamic, free-revving throttle response. The valvegear also features intelligent design solutions originally developed for racing engines. The inlet and exhaust valves, for example, use ultralight tappets with hydraulic valve clearance adjustment. Thanks to this and other performance-oriented features, the new 911 GT3 engine has a maximum speed of 8,400 rpm.

This higher rev limit allows a closer drop between individual gear ratios and thus faster acceleration."

"For the first time ever, the 911 GT3 models are equipped with Traction Control (TC) as standard. Derived from the Carrera GT, this proven technology combines ABD, ASR and MSR functionality. Specifically configured for optimum sports performance, Traction Control Front axle with Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) helps to eliminate wheelspin under full acceleration which could otherwise destabilise the rear of the car. The standard trigger threshold is purposely so high that it is rarely exceeded during normal road driving in the dry.

It is possible to raise the threshold higher still by pressing the 'Sport' button on the centre console.

For maximum involvement, the system can be fully disabled using the separate 'TC OFF' switch."

Re: GT3 sport mode...

"Overall, the 'Sport' button leaves the PASM alone (regardless of whether you have 'Standard' or 'Sport' suspension mode selected) but slackens the traction control's rein, boosts torque and opens a valve in the exhaust so you can hear the flat-six better. You soon get in the habit of pressing 'Sport' as soon as the engine fires..."

has anyone wired / programmed their sport button to auto-on upon ignition?

Chicks always ask me what the little watch on my dash is for.

I then turn it on and leave it running until I get their bras off or better. I then dutifully log it in my Dome mileage book.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806485 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449511 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267039 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90446 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7203 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887280 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836066 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM