Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Torque Wrench for changing the wheels...

I have a set of wheels that I use for track and a set I use for street. I figured I'd buy a cordless torque wrench to try to speed up the process of switching them... So I won a used one on ebay, and tried it out... it did nothing on the lugs, in fact I could hold the socket in my hand and give it full power and it just sat there and made a bunch of noise... So I returned it, I bought a brand new, more powerful one and once again, did nothing.... I'm no mechanic, so am I to assume that the cordless torque wrenches just don't have enough power to remove a lug nut?

Re: Torque Wrench for changing the wheels...

I realize that you are looking for mobility but I know of no battery operated impact driver that has the power you need to reliably remove lug nuts; they just don't produce enough torque. Most battery powered impact drivers produce less than 100 ft lbs of torque with a few producing as much as 140 ft lbs whereas many 3/8" drive air impact wrenches will produce closer to 300 ft lbs. My Snap-on 3/8" drive air impact wrench produces 300 ft lbs of torque and will still at times struggle to remove some lug nuts.

I use a manual breaker bar to loosen the lugs, THEN I use an impact tool to complete the process. I always use a manual torque wrench and manually torque each lug tight in the proper pattern and to the correct torque setting.

Breaker bar

speed wrench (looks like an old hand drill)

remove/replace tire

speed wrench

torque wrench to 90 ftlbs

Impact wrenches crack chrome and paint and then you have rusty lug nuts.

Yeah.., use sockets which don't apply point force to edge of lug nut: but IWrench still beats the cr*p out of them.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    torque wrench to 90 ftlbs

Believe proper torque spec is 96 ft lbs for 997 wheels.

I use this one http://tinyurl.com/yr32qf

Or this one http://tinyurl.com/yqguu3

No affilitations etc

So it appears that the one time I didn't do my home work, I end up with the wrong thing... People always say I take too long to make up my mind sometimes, but that's because I do my homework... oops...

Well, I have a couple torque wrenches, that have been getting a workout lately... and I have the 4 end lug wrench (or + shape, whatever you want to call it)... that loosens the lugs, and at that point I can either just continue with that to take off the lugs or then I can use the impact wrench... or something quicker... but I didn't get the speed wrench thing... What is that? "looks like an old hand drill"... it seems like ti would just be quicker to use the T bar...

Quote:
    jerrygee said:
    I realize that you are looking for mobility but I know of no battery operated impact driver that has the power you need to reliably remove lug nuts; they just don't produce enough torque. Most battery powered impact drivers produce less than 100 ft lbs of torque with a few producing as much as 140 ft lbs whereas many 3/8" drive air impact wrenches will produce closer to 300 ft lbs. My Snap-on 3/8" drive air impact wrench produces 300 ft lbs of torque and will still at times struggle to remove some lug nuts.

Jerry and others: the solution is relatively easy. Cordless impact wrenches work great for removing wheel bolts at the track. There are many options depending on what you want to spend.

I have this one from Harbor Freight, and the price is reasonable.

Harbor Freight Cordless Impact Wrench

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:
    ... but I didn't get the speed wrench thing... What is that? "looks like an old hand drill"... it seems like ti would just be quicker to use the T bar...

They're called "speeders" or speed handles. Never seen them used for removing lug nuts--doesn't mean you can't use them for that though

http://tinyurl.com/2rzgnk

uzj100 - I see about the speed wrench, thanks! I think the "+" lug wrench can do prettymuch the same thing, just spin it around...?

Paul S - Will that torque wrench loosen torqued lug nuts or do you have to loosen them first?

It is plenty strong to break loose and remove/reinstall the wheel bolts on any Porsche. One battery charge is sufficient for an entire weekend at the track. Here's a typical scenario for me.

Get to the track and change tires and wheels; put the street tires back on at the end of day one; put the track wheels back on in the morning of day two; put the street wheels back on at the end of day two and drive home. And if it rains, I would often change wheels back and forth during the day, and always had enough juice for the entire weekend without recharging the battery (although I always carried the charger just in case).

You will need a torque wrench to finish snugging up the wheel bolts. And this impact wrench is easily controllable so you don't have to worry about overtightening. You will want a padded impact socket (not sure if the ones that come with it are padded, since when I bought mine, it came with no sockets).

This is the set of impact sockets I have. I have changed my tires/wheels hundreds of times using this impact wrench and sockets and haven't inflicted any damage to the wheels or bolts. Only way to go; in fact on trips I take the impact wrench with me just in case I get a flat--you get spoiled at how quick and easy changing tires becomes that you never want to futz with tire irons, breaker bars, et al.

Padded metric impact sockets

I have a "fixed point" torque wrench 130nm that I got at Samstag Sales, ELORA brand Made in Germany, I Never use an impact wrench on wheels.

Paul S - So you are saying that your cordless impact wrench can loosen the torqued on lug nuts without loosening them beforehand?

My new cordless impact wrench is a cheap one I guess, but it's 24volt and it says it has 200+ ft. lbs. of torque... and it didn't budge the lugs...

yes, that's what I'm saying. No pre-loosening required. The problem with the typical impact "driver" you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot is it's low rating (typically inch pounds of torque, not feet pounds). Take a look at what you've bought--I doubt it's 200 FEET pounds of torque.

You don't have to use any wrench to pre-loosen, with this one, I promise. At 220 ft pounds of torque, this thing easily takes off the lug bolts (which are torqued to 96 ft pounds). The only wrench you'll need is a torque wrench so you'll know you're tight to 96 ft. pounds (no more or no less).

I have a Sear 18 volt Pro Line and it will zap them right off without loosing them first.
    I put them back on with a tourqe wrench.
    The thing was around $200 bucks, it is Black and Gold, not the Black and Red crap.
    They make a Circular Saw, a Hammer Drill, and a Cut Off Saw that all use the same 18 volt battery, worth the money.

Quote:
    uzj100 said:
    Quote:
    HWJunkie said:
    ... but I didn't get the speed wrench thing... What is that? "looks like an old hand drill"... it seems like ti would just be quicker to use the T bar...

They're called "speeders" or speed handles. Never seen them used for removing lug nuts--doesn't mean you can't use them for that though

http://tinyurl.com/2rzgnk

Works nicely and quickly, fits in cabinet drawer or tool box when T-bar won't.

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:

My new cordless impact wrench is a cheap one I guess, but it's 24volt and it says it has 200+ ft. lbs. of torque... and it didn't budge the lugs...

Just a guess on my part, but the thing probably will _tighten_ to 200 ftlbs as advertised but loosening (or "breaking") might require significantly more force.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    HWJunkie said:

Just a guess on my part, but the thing probably will _tighten_ to 200 ftlbs as advertised but loosening (or "breaking") might require significantly more force.

Who knows--it could simply be grossly over-rated. The one I linked to (at Harbor Freight) is rated at 220 ft pounds of torque and has no trouble spinning off the lug bolts without any pre-loosening.

OK, well I tried it again, it wouldn;t budge the lug, so I loosened it a bit with the t-bar, it came right off, then torqued it to 96 and tried again, it came off but took some coaxing... That's a little too close for comfort because when I'm at the track, I torque them after every run and if I torque it 1 pound too much, the impact wreinch won't work on it... Here's the one I have: Neiko Impact Wrench

Should I just get another new one or deal with this one?

Return it if you can and buy something else. I don't have a dog in this race, but I know the one from Harbor Freight, the one linked above from Sears, and Snap On has one, all of which work. Up to you on what you want to spend--I'm sure the Sears professional model and Snap On is better, but I can tear up and replace three of the Harbor Freight ones for the same money.

Not sure what you paid for it, but if you have to use a T bar at all, you may as well use a typical cordless variable speed reversible drill.

A cordless impact wrench worth its salt, should be able to remove car lug bolts/nuts easily. Heck, mine from Harbor Freight only gets sluggish when the battery's nearly completely discharged. That tends to happen not at the track, but in my garage when I haven't used it in awhile (which is always the rub with cordless tools--having the battery charged when you need it).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806434 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449502 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267039 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90446 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7195 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887244 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836005 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM