Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: No more Detriot show for Porsche

Smart move ....MB/F, etc should adopt this strategy as well....

Detroit region has always been a minor mkt for imported cars, and almost no one wants to visit Detroit any time of yr, given its underwhelming nightlife/hotels/restaurants/weak airport/depressing local economy...

Chicago is only relevant consumer of high-end cars in Midwest...and has great amenities for visitors...

US car shows should be consolidated to LV/NYC/Chic....other locales are a waste of marketing resources....even the guys working for US mfrs would prob much rather have a company-paid trip to LV, rather than spend more time in Detroit....

I have been to both the Detroit and LA auto shows. In Detroit, Porsche had a nice large area but was poorly attended. When I was there, I was the only person looking at the Porsche display.

In LA, they had a room just for Porsche and there was many people viewing their cars. Their display was much more elaborate and interactive than Detroit. As a result the attendance was much greater.

I certainly understand why Porsche wants to redirect its resources. However, I believe it is a huge mistake because the Detroit show attracts international press and a wider audience than most other shows.

Big Mistake- since Porsche wants to be a real player in the US market with it's widening vehicle line, then it has to grow up and duke it out and take the good with the bad at Cobo Hall in Detroit with it's German rivals MBZ,BMW,Audi and VW - not hide out on the coasts like specialty sports brands like Lotus, Lamborghini or Ferrari . To Porsche AG's exec team - YOU are acting - as our Governator would say - - like oh so many a " Girrrly Mahn ! Your arrogance is really disappointing this loyal 22 year multiple 911 owner .

Big mistake? Arrogance?
    The world is changing - doesn't so much revolve around the US as much as it once did.
    The big markets now are Asia, India and the middle East - that's where the growth is.

They have to make back the lost profits from the low USD one way or another... Long term, if the USD stays this low, Porsche will have to increase prices significantly or to build cars in the US.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Big mistake? Arrogance?
    The world is changing - doesn't so much revolve around the US as much as it once did.
    The big markets now are Asia, India and the middle East - that's where the growth is.

I agree.

With the advent of somewhat capitalism in China and India Porsche needs to capitalize on it. Remember that Porsche has so many competition in the U.S. which are pretty much nonexistent in the other parts of the world.

Porsche has already realized that in the U.S. their market is becoming tighter and tighter and their saving grace, at least at this point of time, is Asia, Russia, India and other parts of the world. So any savings in the U.S. would pump more money into other regions.

Also we need to realize that Porsche is not as prestiges as it used to be in the U.S. like 10 or 20 years ago and as far as performance they're also loosing grounds to other brands. However, in any parts of the world Porsche still has the good old le mans winning high performing image and they need to cache on it while they can. After all it's business and they need to make money.

Think about it. Why is or was the Detroit show the "big" show anyways? It was only b/c of the "big" 3. The times are a changing. The big 3 are no longer big and no longer have the clout they once had. Who wants to be up in Detroit anyways? Apparently Porsche only sells 259 cars per year in MI anyways and add a '0' to that number and I bet your not far off what the big 3 sell today in MI.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Think about it. Why is or was the Detroit show the "big" show anyways? It was only b/c of the "big" 3. The times are a changing. The big 3 are no longer big and no longer have the clout they once had. Who wants to be up in Detroit anyways? Apparently Porsche only sells 259 cars per year in MI anyways and add a '0' to that number and I bet your not far off what the big 3 sell today in MI.

Sorry, but I can't agree with your figures on cars sold in Michigan. Most auto employees will buy the product that they make and all you have to do is drive down a Michigan freeway to find that out. That is why there are only 259 Porsches sold in MI. I do not know the sales numbers, but I will bet you they sell in the hundreds of thousands of domestic cars in Michigan every year. I know that my family back in Michigan probally makes up 5-10 new cars every year. Times that by all the autoworkers in Michigan and it will amaze you.

Dan,

I was obviously exaggerating the big 3's sales numbers. The point is the big 3's influence on the world has changed, not only in sales, but in design.

Not many manufacturer's "fear" the big 3 anymore.

Much of the mainstream US media is too lazy or not authorized by their firms to travel wiley/nilly around the US to every car show. So when regional newspapers form every corner of the country send people to " Detroit " , they will write back home about a Chevy or a BMW , etc. But there will be nothing to report on the Cayenne truck or 4 door sedan that the company would like to get free publicity with. If you focus your marketing efforts too tightly in this huge market , like I said earlier , you become a bicoastal niche . OK if all they had were 911s and Boxsters, but not if they want to be a full line player.
    There are two show there - the international trade show, and after all the media flee that wretched facilty, it becomes the annual "local" show , just like in any town such as Miami , Atlanta ,SF, Cleveland, Dallas , etc.

Sorry, MKW I have to disagree.
    Basically the Detroit Auto Show was the pinnacle show - key phrase WAS - when the Big 3 together were the largest car manufacurers and had the highest sales on the planet - and by a HUGE margin. When that was going on basically the car world evovled around Detroit - the home of the big 3. This is not the case anymore.

Other manufacturers will be doing the same.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Sorry, MKW I have to disagree.
    Basically the Detroit Auto Show was the pinnacle show - key phrase WAS - when the Big 3 together were the largest car manufacurers and had the highest sales on the planet - and by a HUGE margin. When that was going on basically the car world evovled around Detroit - the home of the big 3. This is not the case anymore.

Other manufacturers will be doing the same.

I don't know if your vision is right or not. Even though the big three are not domiate like before, there is a strong tradition for the Detroit show that all the worlds major press still makes it there. Porsche has made major marketing snafus in the past and never really learns its own lessons. I do not always trust Porsche decisions, although sometimes they surprises me and makes some great ones. Only time will tell if the made the right one or if they come back only to be put in the basement.

I have rarely read much significant coverage of Porsche at past Detroit shows for the last five years or so. Most of the focus is elsewhere. I don't think it is a big deal.

It isn't. Porsche didn't go from almost broke to the most profitable car company in the world by making a lot of poor decisions.

Has anybody here really bought one of their vehicles because of an auto show? Come on! IMO, this move is more political than anything else.

There haven't been many Porsches on the road here in Michigan for years. They could've pulled out years ago if it was just about the sales numbers and marketing.

When the LA Auto show was the same time as the Detriot Auto Show, didn't Porsche always make their US introductions/announcements at the LA Auto Show?

Times change.

The Indy 500 used to be a big deal. The USGP was held at Watkin's Glen.

Detroit is not the centre of the automotive universe. The city certainly is not the most attractive of destinations. I visitied Cobo Hall back in 1978, and have no desire to return.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806288 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449451 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267023 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7177 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887143 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835886 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM