Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Have I gone nuts ? Turbo Killer

Now that I have had my 997TT for almost three months I am taking the maddness to another level. I am about to close the deal on a 2007 Superformance Cobra MKIII.

These are modern AC Shelby Cobra replicas with fully
    independant suspension, wilwood brakes etc.

Now the scary part is the following: The whole car with engine weighs in at just 1200 kg. The engine I have chosen is a Roush performance 427IR. It has 560 hp and 535 lbft torque.

Should receive it within three month. Will have to do a lenghty write-up on performance compared to my Turbo I guess.....just hope there are no bends or twists in my way.

Any thoughts ?

Already scared of it.....

Re: Have I gone nuts ? Turbo Killer

That's a hot looking replica. They are fast and furious

Absolutely beautiful. There is one running around my local track at times. Very fast, but handling is spotty

Gorgeous!!!!

Should be a phenomenal Sunday driver so long as short ride and perfect weather. IMHO, for long drives, inclement weather, genuine creature comforts and the occasional passenger, TT, theres no substitute.

congrats....very cool choice...im was impressed with the build quality of the couple of superperformance cars ive seen up close...no kitcar stigma with nice detailing....im sure you will be glad you stepped up on the motor vs the alternatives that must also be available....looking forward to your pic/reports in the near future....color ?

can we assume power braking will soon be replaced with the more traditional , power shifting

You're not nuts at all...they are sweet...I'm about to order one myself actually!

This is a dream car, a keeper with a shape that was beautiful in the 70, it is historic now and will be art in four wheels in the future. Better than this one, only the Mercedes SL from 1957, but that one costs 300.000 euros

Your car is absolutely beautiful , the look alone is worth the money it costs Congrats

J.Seven

damn that car looks hot. Congrats!

Try not to kill yourself in that thing!

Dan

Great car. Kind of a specialty rig though because the boring word "practical" can't be used to describe it.

Congratulations though: seems you're about to cross the line into Car Collector Territory.

Smoking hot! Very cool retro car, very uniqie. Love it.

Congrats, very nice! Be careful with that car it is very quick. Basically its all engine and in the wrong hands can be dangerous. I'm sure you already figured that out, just be carefull. The turbo on the other hand is fast but built to keep you out of trouble...to a point. These 2 cars have very little in common so it will be a whole different experience. Years ago I was a passenger on my friends 100% stock AC Cobra (the real deal). It was a small block not the 427 model but you literally could pop wheelies doing 120 miles per hour in 4th gear it was so light. Sold it 10 years ago for a bunch of $$$. A rare find.

want one!!!! You are not nuts.... just crazy!!!!

Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    want one!!!! You are not nuts.... just crazy!!!!

Yeah, I think I would be _afraid_ to own one.

Like if someone gave me a big bottle of barbituates or a fully auto AK-47.

(just kidding about the Rx and AK)

the original is still produced. not the AC. the shelby i mean. however, they source aluminum bodies from kirkham(another replica producer) and the chassis of the superformance is far superior. superformance is also licensed by shelby.

there we go....was supposed to transfer the funds today. girlfriend approaches me in tears and asks me to not order the cobra....

- order car, loose the girlfriend ?
    - not tell her, order car, surprise her and loose her ?
    - not order car, loose her ?
    - loose her, order car ?

just kidding, i can understand her worrying. honestly i was worried too....560 hp and no safety whatsoever.....

e-mailed the dealer and told him that i need a few days to sort it out.....

i am sure that once she sees it, she will be in love with it.

what to do ?????????

Quote:
    intouch1 said:
    there we go....was supposed to transfer the funds today. girlfriend approaches me in tears and asks me to not order the cobra....

- loose her, order car ?

just kidding, i can understand her worrying. honestly i was worried too....560 hp and no safety whatsoever.....

what to do ?????????

Lemme put it this way.

I would buy the stupid car (it's just soooo frustrating a decision!) because I had the money to blow. IOW, just get it because you can well and simply afford to do so. IOW, you just _want_ the thing and you buy it.

When (IF) you get tired of it; tired of owning your own personal amusement park, just get rid of it.

If it's gonna involve any level of emotional or financial sacrifice I say: forget it.

One more thing: the lack of airbags would be enough for me to turn and walk away (sorry for not stopping myself from saying that )

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    intouch1 said:

- loose her, order car ?

what to do ?????????

Lemme put it this way.

I would buy the stupid car (it's just soooo frustrating a decision!) because I had the money to blow. IOW, just get it because you can well and simply afford to do so. IOW, you just _want_ the thing and you buy it.

When (IF) you get tired of it; tired of owning your own personal amusement park, just get rid of it.

If it's gonna involve any level of emotional or financial sacrifice I say: forget it.

One more thing: the lack of airbags would be enough for me to turn and walk away (sorry for not stopping myself from saying that )

hey mmd, thank you for your comments. thats what worries me too. no safety net at all. still damn cool and gorgeous.....

Quote:
    intouch1 said:

hey mmd, thank you for your comments. thats what worries me too. no safety net at all. still damn cool and gorgeous.....

Definitely cool and gorgeous. That's what makes it sooooo difficult! Dammit!

Full cage + bucket seats + hans - Girlfriend

Quote:
    intouch1 said:

- loose her, order car ?

what to do ?????????

Hi,
    Life is short so order it and enjoy !
    I'm quite sure a Tiffany's ring or Hermes' bag will help your girlfriend to take the right decision.

Cobras are amazing and I would like to try one. My understanding is that you just need more brain than balls to handle it (but need balls anyway)...

Let me put it this way: if you have the money and can afford it, do it, it makes sense. I would love to own various other sportscars if my bank account would permit it and the Cobra replica is definetely one of my secret desires. I would probably never use this car on the track or for serious club racing but I would enjoy it in a different way...as a fun car for those days when I need to have a smile on my face.

If you can afford it, go for it, it definetely MAKES sense.

Ask yourself this one...which will be around longer the GF or the car.

I'm getting one so I'll send you pics of me having fun in mine if you make the wrong decision!

My wife is very cool about these things though...I guess she figures it's better that I obsess over cars than other women.

thank you guys for you input and encouragement.....I DID IT.
    i placed the orer yesterday. kept it as my little secret. i ordered a different color, that will be ready for drivetrain instalation in about 3 months. will find enough excuses by then...

Quote:
    intouch1 said:
    thank you guys for you input and encouragement.....I DID IT.
    i placed the orer yesterday. kept it as my little secret. i ordered a different color, that will be ready for drivetrain instalation in about 3 months. will find enough excuses by then...

GREAT!

Been thinking..., just be EXTRA careful with it for the first few weeks. Eventually you'll learn what you can get away with and keep yourself amused _AND_ safe.

Congrats!

I've owned a Superformance in the past and now I own an all aluminum 700hp 427 Shelby. Let me tell you, there's nothing refined here. It will feel like you are driving a truck vs the 997. VERY crude and rude. Be carefull, short wheelbase, high HP equals trouble. Have fun!

this is the exact color and look i have chosen with my dealer. we will only add white rookie stripes to the drivers side. they are two white stripes that cross at an angle from the hood over the fender......engine wil be as mentioned before the Roush 427IR, 560hp, 525lbft 8 stack weber injected

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802932 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448467 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265996 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89998 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6478 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885526 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832776 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM