Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Monaco GP, Renault takes pole, Schummi 4th

Trulli takes his first pole in his F1 career. Ralph Schumacher takes second but since he changed engines he is set back 10 oplaces so actually Button starts 2nd and Alonso 3rd Schummi could only do 4th and will have a tough time in this race since the BAR and Renault have a good setup for this "track" and its almost imposible to pass during this race so the race wil be won with consistent fast lap times and impecable pitstop startegy.

My bets are on Alonso and Button, Truli is fast in qualifying but can't sustain the race pace of Alonso. Renault's launch is the best so Alonso being right behind Truli in the start grid, he won't have anybody blocking his way in the launch, as usually happens and then has to play catch up along the course of the race. In the last race Alonso made up 16 seconds over Truli once he had open road at the end of the race and with 3 laps to go was ordered by the pit to slow down because they did not want and risks since Alonso would of caught Truli and would of tried passing him for the win. But Button is very fast too along with Schumi of course. But here Ferrari won't have a Ferrari in the lead to play the hold up the rest while the other makes the pit stop startegy.
    The McLaren are getting more competitive, and Kimi will start 5th while Montoya 9th

Anyway this wil be the most competitive race since the start of the season

Re: Monaco GP, Renault takes pole, Schummi 4th

For shure the most this year compited race till now.

Be aware about Ferrari's strategy.....(Two stops?)

My hopes with Alonso!

Good point, judging by their qualifying it could be that they were slower than normal because they loaded more fuel for qualifying in order to make a two-stop strategy during the race, but that is very risky.

Thank you very much Ralph! this guy needs to screw up somebody in every race or what, that looks to be his only role in his mediocre F1 career. Next time I hope he at least remembers that when being lapped by a faster driver, you are supposed to move aside to the OUTSIDE and not to the inside leaving the bad-toughest line and dirty part of the track to the driver behind to try to pass.... right when Alonso was catching Trulli

Oh, well, at least we saw what happens to Ferrari when the engine is not a big role in the track the Renault, Ferrari and Hondas were pretty much at level with each other

In one week, Nurburgring, the "green hell"

I've just heard to the first words of very disappointed Alonso, who has inclusive said "stupid" to "Mr" Ralph. Alonso afirms that Ralph slowered in the beguining of the tunnel, suddenly accelerating in the middle. Thorougly studied has to be the video .The result: we all saw.

If this is true, this man should be severily punished. Too many incidents by a, under my opinion, a mediocre pilot.

In any case, a very good race for Trulli.

I wonder what happened to Shumi (I sincerely he had serious winning options in that moment). Maybe he was warming brakes?

Sorry Guys but I saw those two incidents slightly different.

IMHO, Alonso simply made a mistake by trying to overtake Ralf in the tunnel with a speed of approaching 300Km/h on the dirty side of the road. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big Ralf fan but in this case it was a plain and simple mistake by a relatively inexperienced driver.

In regards to the second crash involving JPM and Michael. I think it's JPM's full responsibility. When following the Pace Car, the leading driver is the one who's setting the pace. Period! Anybody crashing into the leader from behind is 100% at fault. I know, I saw Michael braking hard as well, but that's his privilege in that position and situation.

Just my 2cts.

Gregor

I absolutely agree with your vision of what happened to Shumi. I had that first impresion and think he was not the one who failed.

But in the other hand, I don't think Alonso would make such mistake. I'm not a F1 pilot, and I would not do it unless the car that was suposed to be on the left (he was being lapped), was on the wright and slowering speed, and suddenly, in such a delicate point increases it's speed (I call that revenge). When a car is being lapped, there are certain clear rules.

Quote:
    Gregor said:
    Sorry Guys but I saw those two incidents slightly different.

IMHO, Alonso simply made a mistake by trying to overtake Ralf in the tunnel with a speed of approaching 300Km/h on the dirty side of the road. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big Ralf fan but in this case it was a plain and simple mistake by a relatively inexperienced driver.

In regards to the second crash involving JPM and Michael. I think it's JPM's full responsibility. When following the Pace Car, the leading driver is the one who's setting the pace. Period! Anybody crashing into the leader from behind is 100% at fault. I know, I saw Michael braking hard as well, but that's his privilege in that position and situation.

Just my 2cts.

Gregor

100% agreed!

Just to say that I listened again Alonso's words relating Ralph. He did not say "stupid", he said "idiot".

It's difficult to beleive that a person in such position says those words if he is not 100% sayng the truth.

Its not that simple. Its towards the end of the race, the driver in 2nd position is doing a great effort to reduce distance lap by lap with the one in 1st not affording to waste a single second, and a lapped driver who knows this situation and after letting the leader pass when he is obliged to let the 2nd driver that is next he then doesn't pull away to the correct side forcing the driver in 2nd to either risk going on the out side or loosing the chance to catch the leader. But its much, much worse since it seems he even accelerated towards the exit of the tunel to make it even more difficult and risky for Alonso.
    Here are Alonso own words, I don't think he would lie: "The reason for the crash is pretty simple: I was lapping Ralf, and he ignored the blue flags for the first seven corners. He slowed down to let me by at the entrance to the tunnel, then got back on the throttle and pushed me wide. There's no grip on the outside there, and I lost control. It's extremely frustrating, and cost us a one-two finish."

Judging by Ralph previous bad-sport history and Alonso's inmediate reactions to the incident I do not doubt it. Remember that Ralph doesn't not get along with Alonso (actually doesn't get along with anyone do to his tactics) and almost took him out in Bahrain I believe, but ended up himself spinning out? looks like Ralph held a grudge and showed it today.

As to Shummi vs Montoya, I'm the last one to support Montoya but there was nothing he could of done. The leader sets the pace behind the safety car but if you break like that in the tunnel then there is no way the following car, in this case montoya, can avoid him unless he leaves a huge safety gap between cars which is not reasonable. And shummi had to brake because his car broke, seem like the axl gave way. So nobody's fault there.

And how about that looser who didn't moved away from Trulli in the final lap as he lapped him but then blocked Button ruining any chance he had? they should be really tough with lapped drivers, its ruining the races.

He actually might be saying the 'truth' about Ralf

Keep in mind that these guys are quite young and the stakes are VERY high in F1. So I can certainly understand Alonso's emotional storm. I honestly believe that at that moment Alonso felt that the accident was Ralf's fault. However, I also think that in a few days he might have a different opinion and if not, that's not a catastrophe either.

Gregor

Quote:
    carlos fromspain saidIn one week, Nurburgring, the "green hell"

\

I think the Green Hell refers to the Norschlief - not that lame excuse for a circuit they use now

Also, just thought I would let you know that the American TV coverage totally blamed Alonso for his own shunt pointing out his foolishness for trying to pass in the tunnel, instead of waiting for the chicane where they said Ralf would've let him by. Was the Spanish coverage very different?

Grant,

Thats interesting, those commentators actually should go commentate NASCAR instead of F1 The tunnel is not a place to overtake a driver you are competing with, you have to wait to the braking at the chicane and that is the ONLY place really were you can make a pass in Monaco. However, its a great place to "overlap" a driver which is a very different situation, since there is plenty of time to move aside and exchange positions during that "straight" without any curves and plenty of visibility. So there were many overlapping maneuvers done in the tunnel during the race, with even Trulli doing it himself toward the end of the race (and actually did it just like Alonso from the outside lane), its no problem unless the lapped driver doesn't cooperate. Those comentators should be a little more conservative in their comments if they are that clueless.

As to the spanish commentators, they actually held from making a judgement and tried to get Alonso on the microphone after to give his version. One said it wasn't Raplph fault it was just a unintentional mistake by Ralph, the other that Ralph played dirty.

Seems like Schummi locking the brakes in the middle of the dark tunnel behind the safety car was not due to a mechanical problem, it was shummi trying to warm up the tires!. They ussually do that behind the safety car but he accelerated hard and then hit the brakes so hard the locked them up! so JMP right behind tried to avoid him going to the right but ended up coliding with him. Question is, could JPM avoided the colision? was he too close to schummi? probably a combination of schummi's and JPM's mistakes.

That's what I thought: he was warming brakes.

Seing again the images, I think that was a fortuite collision. But nobody can say that for shure.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Seems like Schummi locking the brakes in the middle of the dark tunnel behind the safety car was not due to a mechanical problem, it was shummi trying to warm up the tires!.

Yeh, I always do that when I'm driving in an a unlit tunnel and my brake lights are not working. I also switch lanes quickly so that the guy behind me does not accidentally overtake me behind the pace car, and thus get disqualified. It's the least one can do for one's fellow F1 drivers!

It's just unfair if my car gets damaged and cannot continue racing, instead of his.

And then somebody complains about my brother Ralf slowing down on the racing line in the same tunnel to let another guy pass on the "dirty" lane. Just because Ralf puts his foot down again before the other guy has really got past.

Some people have no sense of humor!

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Grant,

Thats interesting, those commentators actually should go commentate NASCAR instead of F1

Carlos - Usually, I might agree with you, but the with the American coverage on SPEED Tv, three of the four members of the commentating team are British (Steve Matchett - a former team lead engineer who won for Benetton, Peter Windsor is a former team leader, and David Hobbs, a former driver). It seems like they knew quite alot

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Grant,

Thats interesting, those commentators actually should go commentate NASCAR instead of F1

Carlos - Usually, I might agree with you, but the with the American coverage on SPEED Tv, three of the four members of the commentating team are British (Steve Matchett - a former team lead engineer who won for Benetton, Peter Windsor is a former team leader, and David Hobbs, a former driver). It seems like they knew quite alot

OK guys,

Even allowing for Peter Windsor and David Hobbs' credentials, the video footage from the tunnel was not good, so we are all speculating to a certain extent.

BUT,
    a) it did not look like Schuhmacher M. was plowing a straight furrow in there, and

b) apart from what we could see of the Alonso / Schuhmacher R. incident today, Ralf does seem to have been a little "accident-prone" recently. (Like, since he entered F1 ).

We all draw our own conclusions. (The past has shown that we can't rely on the race officials' decisions ).

Then who was the one who said it was a mistake to overtake a lapped driver on blue flag (as opposed to overtaking an equally placed driver head-to-head) in the tunnel?

Its simple: the only way Alonso could get his car side by side Ralph's on the outside lane at the entrance of the tunnel is if Ralph slowed down after the curve and let him, otherwise its impossible there. If Ralph slowed down while being shown blue flags and after just letting 1st place Trulli get by, you are to think he is letting you pass as well. At this point Alonso can do only two things, either be silly and lift off as well and still stay behind Ralph who slowed down and wait all the way to the chicane at the end and then try to pass and have completely lost Trulli by then, or move to the outside lane and pass Ralph along the tunnel who, as the good-sport that he always shows to be (just ask Sato for example ), is obeying the blue flags and letting through the chasing 2nd place driver so as not to interfere and break up the front of the race. He would not try, after slowing down to then match your speed once you are side by side, leaving you with no were to go forcing you out, there is a driver who is lapping you with blue flags and you don't lift off the throttle once he is side by side to give enough space to make the pass? that is wrong, even if that is a place were you can't due a blue flag overlap pass, which is not the case even Trulli being the leader did the same exact maneuver afterwards with another lapped driver and with no problem at all as we saw, even so you need to give way. Unfortunately it was Ralph who Alonso was trying to pass and Alonso was going to loose one way or the other. Oh well that is racing
    BTW Alonso is still very very very mad. There will be sparks flowing between these two if they meet again during the next race

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:BTW Alonso is still very very very mad. There will be sparks flowing between these two if they meet again during the next race

Yeah, I'm sure there are bad feelings between Michael and Juan also - but we already knew that

Damn, Carlos, you need to use shorter phrases

Giving an opinion just based on the TV images I think Alonso is clearly the one to blame for getting out of the race. He goes to the outside of the turn he takes the durty part of the circuit and goes off. He could have slow down a bit at the midle of the turn and make the overtake at the end of the tunel. It wasn't Ralph that push him out.
    But if Ralph did accelarate at the midle of the tunel this changes my opinion. It's possible to read the Williams data at that point of the race, and confirm if in fact there was a suden accelaration from Ralph.
    Anyway I think Ralph have been making some real strange moves on the past while on circuit with other drivers, so it wouldn't be a surprise to me if Alonso statments are true.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 6:32 AM
    GnilM
    803178 1807
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448556 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266110 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90053 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6583 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885690 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833236 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM