Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Lack of shift-lever smoothness

My C2 is now one year old with about 10,000 miles. From day one, unless I am very slow in shifting from 1st to 2nd, the shift seems extraordinarily "notchy". All other shifts are smooth as silk. Is this normal or is there something that can be done?

Re: Lack of shift-lever smoothness

I don't know if this is normal but my 07 C2S with sports shifter (XCZ) is the same. All other gear changes are really smooth (to quote others "like a rifle bolt") but 1st to 2nd is less so, at least until the engine/gearbox has really warmed up - ten miles or so of driving. I find as I bring the stick back putting a little sideways pressure to the left and taking it relatively slowly helps.

What I do when the tranny is cold is start off in first and then go straight to third. (Don't worry I'm not stressing anything since my street in the morning is slightly downhill).

Matter of fact, many times I just avoid 2nd gear altogether. Try it, when you're driving tamely, like thru a neighborhood, the engine has so much torque, there's no need for second.

FWIW, my 06C2S has 6000 miles and all the gears are really smooth when everything is completely warmed up.

Maybe you need a simple linkage adjustment, take it to the dealer service, if it is the linkage they might fix your problem in a second.

Quote:
    snarf said:
    at least until the engine/gearbox has really warmed up - ten miles or so of driving.

I find shifting into first gear to be difficult when the car is cold (~4C). Second gear is notchy also, but not difficult. Once the car is warmed up ~5km or so, the car shifts perfectly.

There has been more than one time where shifting into first felt like it was not going to happen; but eventually it always did.

I am not sure if all cars are like this when they are cold, or it has something to do with an adjustment. Maybe I should ask the dealer to take a look next week when it goes in for its hibernation oil change.

I think they all do it until fully warm. If it does it when its warm thats when you have a problem.

Compared to the 996 6-speed shifter, that always felt as smooth to me as a computer game joy stick, the 997 is notchy, especially between first and second. When I first got my 06 Carrera I noticed this. I also noted that the transmission is made, not in Germany, but in Japan (not that I have anything against Japanese automotive products). I also noticed that especially when cold, the motor hesitates at about 3,000 rpm when accelerating. There is a very definite lag at the point, rather than a smooth acceleration. It doesn't happen in other gears, and happens less when the motor is warm.

I have this with mine.
    I took it to the dealer.
    Before he drove it he sid this new gerbox has triple syncro on first to second.
    This will make it feel slightly different to the other gears as they have double.
    Also the syncro's are different in design(stronger) to the 996.
    Regards

Your cables need adjusting.
    My 997 S standard shifter was silky smooth in ALL gears , from day one.
    And the sport shifter is only SLIGHTLY less so.
    Don't let them tell you it's normal.
    You have one of the best ( if not THE best )manual transmissions available . Make them adjust the cable and don't take no for an answer . Or better yet , remove the console and adjust it yourself . It's easy and you can fine tune the adjustment until it's just right.

How do you remove the console?
    Is it reasonably easy?
    Regards

Quote:
    boxsterboy said:
    If it does it when its warm thats when you have a problem.

Quote:
    johnsosn said:
    How do you remove the console?
    Is it reasonably easy?
    Regards

It's pretty easy.
    Go to the B&M shifter installation guide . They give you step by step instructions, with pictures on how to remove the console and how to remove / or adjust the cables.

www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/67.pdf

Good luck.
    Oh, one thing . There is one screw up front, just ahead of the shifter which is ( almost ) impossible to get to .

I gently shoved the adhesive tape foam aside a little and drilled a 1/4 inch hole thru the top of the console , right above the screw . The plastic console at that point is VERY thin and it will not hurt it.
    Then you can get to the torx screw from above
    ( T-20 I think it was )

Good luck.

Mine is worse second to third gear. Just another problem and disappointment among many in this second-rate pseudo-luxury sports car. Never again. Having driven BMW's for the last eight years, I can say that Porsche quality doesn't even approach that of BMW. I know this will elicit criticism, but I own one too and am at least willing to admit it. (2006 C2s cab)

Quote:
    harlandoc said:
    Mine is worse second to third gear. Just another problem and disappointment among many in this second-rate pseudo-luxury sports car. Never again. Having driven BMW's for the last eight years, I can say that Porsche quality doesn't even approach that of BMW. I know this will elicit criticism, but I own one too and am at least willing to admit it. (2006 C2s cab)

I don't wish to sound critical , but at which dealer in N.J. did you purchase your car ?

Instead of complaining about it on a web site , tell them to FIX IT .
    As I said above , the shifter should be smooth as silk.In all gears. And if it's not,all it needs is a little adjustment.

After all, it's not a 'vette and we are not talking about having a " Mr.Goodwrench" tinker with it . Lol

Many who read this board do not own a 997 but contemplate buying one. I honestly report my experience with the car. If I didn't, those people would see mostly reports of unconditional love for the car. Every time I have a problem and take it to the dealer, either thay can't find the problem or if they do, they don't have the parts, thus requiring a second trip. Every time I take it in for repair, it's never one day, but sometimes up to ten days. And some problems, squeaks for example, they admit they can't fix. Just my honest experience.

Before and after retrofitting my sports shifter 1st gear is a little tough to engage when cold. After 10 mins on the road it's as smooth as silk. I have never had any problems with 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th no matter what the temperature or circumstance.

The sports shifter emphasises the 1st gear initial stiffness a little more but as others have said if you get this when the car is warmed up then it is NOT how it should be. If your dealer can't fix it then find another dealer who can.

Quote:
    harlandoc said:
    Many who read this board do not own a 997 but contemplate buying one. I honestly report my experience with the car. If I didn't, those people would see mostly reports of unconditional love for the car. Every time I have a problem and take it to the dealer, either thay can't find the problem or if they do, they don't have the parts, thus requiring a second trip. Every time I take it in for repair, it's never one day, but sometimes up to ten days. And some problems, squeaks for example, they admit they can't fix. Just my honest experience.

I appreciate your comments.
    Who is your dealer ?
    I also live in N.J. and want to make sure I never go there .

absolutely normal espacially in the mornings.....

Quote:
    chipper said:
    I also noted that the transmission is made, not in Germany, but in Japan (not that I have anything against Japanese automotive products). .

I was told that the gearboxes were made in Japan too but my dealer informed me that only the tiptronic gearbox is made in Japan! Please prove him wrong if you have any info - he was kind of cocky when he was telling me so it would be fun to slap him in the face with some proof - he is a nice guy though - just love proving that Porsches salesman are not always the most informed people - incidentally the same guy who told me to leave the engine running when checking the oil level and make sure that I don't make a mess on my expensive suit of the oil from the dip stick - seems like the 997 is looking too much like the 993 for him!

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    Quote:
    chipper said:
    I also noted that the transmission is made, not in Germany, but in Japan (not that I have anything against Japanese automotive products). .

I was told that the gearboxes were made in Japan too but my dealer informed me that only the tiptronic gearbox is made in Japan! Please prove him wrong if you have any info - he was kind of cocky when he was telling me so it would be fun to slap him in the face with some proof - he is a nice guy though - just love proving that Porsches salesman are not always the most informed people - incidentally the same guy who told me to leave the engine running when checking the oil level and make sure that I don't make a mess on my expensive suit of the oil from the dip stick - seems like the 997 is looking too much like the 993 for him!

The manual is made in Japan.
    The auto. is made in Germany.
    Both are GRRREAT.

Re: Lack of shift-lever smoothness 2006 C4S

I have a 2006 CS4 with the short shifter option. My dealer warned me when I got it that it would be very stiff - especially between 1st and 2nd before the car warmed up. He also said that it would get better after a few thousand miles. He was right.

The shift into first remains VERY stiff even when fully warmed if I have any meaningful foward motion. Then again first gear is so high that I rarely shift INTO it except in stop and go traffic. BUT I spent years driving an alfa Spider with worn synchros and I still have the habit of double clutching where practical to both preserve the synchros and make shifting smoother. If I am moving, a quick double clutch blip before engaging first silky.

The shift into second is a bit notchy when cold, but smooth when warm. I am new to P-Cars and VERY impressed by the transmission. It took me a while to get used to the luxury of NOT double clutching into 2nd or 3rd at high RPM's. When the gearbox is warm, the short shift makes this a joy.

I do have the short shift too and when cold you need to stop sometimes in order to pass in the 1st gear but when its warm it feels so precise that my BMW lever on my previous car (330 ci cab)feels like a truck one!

On the other hand I dont know your way of driving but since going to the porsche driving experience four years ago I only drive with heal-toe when downshifitng as it prevents the rear wheels of the car locking temporarely a thing that could even lead to a loss of control of your car. Of course the PSM is watching you but as I drive quite often without it then......

Regards,
    Florent.

1st to 2nd in the morning is always slightly notchy...after about 10 minutes, it's smooth. All other gears are smooth going up or down whether cold or warm...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    809359 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450618 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267972 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91133 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7937 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888924 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    841096 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM