Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Help on a used Boxster, beginner here . . .

I am a 65 year old guy -- who wants to find a used Boxster. Been clergy all of career (retired now) and do not have unlimited funds.

Trying to enter the Porsche world.

1) is there a year or model I want to zero IN on?

2) is there a year or model I want to STAY AWAY from?

3) any tips on looking for a used one . . .

Where am I? Would like to stay under $25,000. Color, yellow or red (yellow first).

Repairs -- are these cars repair free -- or will they need a lot of tinkering as they age?

Last question: Automatic (my wife cannot drive a shift), is this a bad decision?

Final: show I post this post somewhere else for a fuller response from other ???

Thanks, Anew

Re: Help on a used Boxster, beginner here . . .

Welcome!
    There is so much to cover; I'll only attempt a partial answer...

First decision is whether to go with a regular Boxster or an S. A lot has been written on this topic...

As a rule with Porsches (and other cars I presume), the newer, the better. 2003 may be your sweet spot. That year brought a bunch of improvements, including a glass rear window, slightly improved motor, etc. It also brought some cosmetic changes I personally don't care for.

The second rule is to find as low mileage a car as you can.

In terms of repairs, nothing is repair free. There are some common bugaboos with these cars. Foremost among them is the motor rear main seal. Here too, you'll find tons written on this topic. It also appears that many 1999 cars had issues with engine castings and engine failures. Other than that, it is the usual wear and tear. Maintenance is relatively expensive on Porsches in general.
    At around 45,000 miles, you will be looking at a brake job (probably including rotors.)
    Rear tires don't last long either, around 20,000 miles. Some people report much less than that, some report more.

Other items people talk about: rear wheel bearings, front engine mount, and the clutch, although those are rare issues I think. (I had the throw-out bearing and pressure plate replaced on my car at 42,000 miles, because the clutch pedal was feeling stiff and was dragging. I also had the flywheel replaced at 20,000 miles (vibration issues). Yet, I'm still on the original clutch disk. (I suspect these issues were due to leaky rear main seals.)

I suggest you search the archives of the different Boxster boards. Tons of material there. But apply the proper correction factor; people tend to write when they are reporting problems.

Good luck.

Kamal (MA)

I'm not sure what 25k gets you in the US, but that kind of money in the UK probably won't get you into 2003 model year, which I agree with KMM is probably where I would want to be buying.

Yellow might be to your advantage, as it's one of the colours that is less appreciated on the used market, so you might find them cheaper. Again, this may be UK specific.

What sort of mileage are you going to be doing?
    Have you checked out the servicing costs from your dealer/independent? Cost of tyres? I think the cars are probably put together better than your average motor, but if something does go wrong it is likely to be expensive.
    Used cars from a dealer will have a 12month warrantee.

Tip is a reasonable decision. I guess a tip car is less likely to have suffered clutch abuse!

I've had a flick thought this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Porsche-Boxster-...TF8&s=books
    And it gives a lot of good information on the earlier cars, and what sort of problems to look out for. Don't know if you can get it in the US?

Happy hunting! And welcome to Rennteam

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    I'm not sure what 25k gets you in the US, but that kind of money in the UK probably won't get you into 2003 model year, which I agree with KMM is probably where I would want to be buying.

Don't forget that the prices in the US are much more "reasonable" compared to Europe

@ Anew: welcome to Rennteam - I'm sure the right car is waiting for you somewhere The search is part of the fun

I agree that a MY 03 should provide the best value for money. If you prefer an Automatic (Tiptronic) I recommend to get an "S", because IMO the higher torque of the 3.2 is a big advantage in an auto tranny car anyway.

Maybe you can get a car with an extended warranty (I'm not sure how it works in the US but over here the Porsche warranty can be extended up to 9 years/200,000 km, if the original owner has opted to buy this warranty after the expiration of the new car warranty).

Automatic on a Porsche...blasphemy!

Pick up a base model...no need for the "S"...let that be your next one

I agree, newer and fewer miles is better. Try to get a Certified Pre-Owned from the dealer as that will give you two years of full-coverage in case problems arise. Ours has been perfect (knock on wood) and I think it will continue to be.

Also, options vary surprisingly on these cars. Must-haves? In my book, Wind Deflector, 18" turbo-look wheels, Litronics (xenon headlights), upgraded shift knob. Ours also has the aluminum door sils, painted center console (around the e-break; really transforms a black interior). So get the options you like because they're essentially free at this point.

Due to the fact that I'm also looking at this moment at an used Boxster, I saw that in the las time the prices from the OPC have dropped quite a lot compared to some years by now. One of the reasons is the improvements made to th 987, I mean fitting the Cayman's engines.

So my advise it will be go to your local OPC or to the Porsche web and ask or search for the Porsche approved vehicles. You will be surpised to the stock that they have and the posibilities that you can find. Also think that you will get the car with 1 year warranty (the new cars have 2 yrs.) and you can be sure that the 40000km or miles or whatever number says that the car has covered is the real number and not fake. the cars from them are all coming with full service history, and all by Porsche.

I've been in Madrid in my OPC talked to the sale manager there, and they treat me very well. Nothing about a company that looks only to the extremely generous wallets... Due to my work I spent a lot of time in Turin so they told me that if I buy a car from them (and it is a used one not new! and entry level not top spec!) they are able to bring me the car up to any point into Spain if I'm not able to travel to Madrid. so the are more than 800 km if they bring the car to let's say Girona, north of Spain, without any extra cost.

So my advise it will be to make a visit to your OPC and see what you can get from them.

And good luck!!!

i had a tip boxster that i liked alot...only downsides from my perspective were smallish inside but lots of luggage space in the front and rear...and of course expensive service, but you knew that..imo go for a boxster they are lots of fun...and naturally low miles, well cared for , certified is good...id be flexible on the color for the right car

IMO definately go for a car with a colour that is considered as 'less desirable'..on the used porsche car finder a fully specc'd speed yellow boxster was the same price as a black un specc'd one.. To be honest I dont think options really matter all that much compared with reliability..so I would go for the latest car possible over some fancy things like two tone interior etc etc..As for gearbox...well! The TIP is okay............but the manual shift really is one of the best things about the boxster full stop..its one of the nicest in any car!

I had an 02 S. I concurr on the comments on the 03 models.
    The extra 8HP are hardly noticeable, but the glass window is a definite plus.

As with the previous posts I concur with mileage and options comments. I bought my '00 Yellow Boxster new and have only 15,000kms (not my daily driver) but every time I go for a drive it brings a smile to my face (even compared to the 997S). IMHO test drive as many as possible to test and compare which options you REALLY want.... but dont settle for a poorly maintained fully optioned car over a well kept, low mileage, low optioned car.

Got my 03 yellow boxster a few months ago. Actually November last year but just took it out a few months ago. I looked around for quite a while for the right deal and quality. Be patient and make sure you have the car checked over by a certified dealer if buying from individual. The first one I looked at was supposedly accident free but after a paint test it was determined the car had indeed been in an accident.

I also found in the US the yellow was harder to find and a bit more expensive than some of the other colors where there seems to be an abundance. Also it seemed the Tips were going for less than stick. But again if you are patient you can get a great car in your price range.

The glass back is a great option. I was concerned that the plastic would dull after awhile. I opted to purchase a 3 year extended warranty.

The whole point of the shift is so the wife cant drive it. You will absolutely LOVE IT!!!

It is an AWESOME car. I decided I did not need the S, fearing too many tickets might follow me. All I do is cruise with the top down, enjoying the ride.

Good Luck.

One source of information regarding the perceived reliability of new and used, i.e. pre-owned, cars is Consumer Reports' Annual Auto Issue (April, 2007), which might still be on news stands. CR states that their reliability ratings for the 2002-2006 model years are based on a survey of their subscribers covering 16 major automotive sub-systems, including engine (major/minor), transmission, electrical, etc.

Based on their published results of the survey for the Boxster, which presumably includes the Boxster S, the MY2005 is rated as having better than average reliability, the MY2002 and MY2003 are rated as having average reliability, and the MY2001 and MY2004 are rated as having below average reliability (though the 2004 scored much better than the 2001 and about the same as the 2002 in the individual categories.)

Thus, it would seem that a low mileage 2002 or 2003 might be the best value of the Gen I (986) Boxsters/BoxsterS.

If you haven't driven both the Boxster and Boxster S, you might consider paying a visit to a dealership to test drive both of a given year to help you decide whether or not the additional hp of the S makes a difference to you. Similarly for the manual vs. tiptronic (automatic).

Does your wife expect/want to drive it? I'm guessing you're the one most interested in the driving experience, so choose what you prefer, and, if it's the manual, you can test the strength of the drive train and your marriage by teaching her to drive it.

In any case, take your time, educate yourself, and enjoy the process, and hopefully a great ride.

Don't let that biased rag Consumer Reports have any effect on your decision. There is absolutely no reason one year should be any more reliable than the next. Get a thorough check up and enjoy...any year will please, just some a little more than others. To me I'd get an '01-'03...'04 is about the same price as an '05.
    On the other hand, my local dealer was selling brand new '06 stripped Boxsters for ~$39K! Can't go wrong!

Quote:
    cym104 said:There is absolutely no reason one year should be any more reliable than the next.

I disagree!

Over the production life of a car various issue come to light and fixes (upgraded components, additional parts, changes to the way they are put together) work their way back into the production line.

So it makes sense that the longer a car has been in production the more reliable (on average) it should be.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    cym104 said:There is absolutely no reason one year should be any more reliable than the next.

I disagree!

Over the production life of a car various issue come to light and fixes (upgraded components, additional parts, changes to the way they are put together) work their way back into the production line.

So it makes sense that the longer a car has been in production the more reliable (on average) it should be.

Yes, yes, and I agree that an '04 is a better bet than a '97, but CR's approach is to claim that an '01 and an '03 are unreliable while an '02 and an '04 are great. That's ridiculous and that's what I was basing my comment on.

You didn't say what you base your prejudice against the CR survey results upon. Just because the results don't present a simple, convenient picture of the world, doesn't mean the data are invalid.

The report is presented as a summary of responses CR received from Porsche Boxster owners, not their own tests. The rating is based on relative numbers of complaints from year to year and from manufacturer to manufacturer with a weighting based on number of miles driven. The results do NOT say that a particular make/model/year is reliable/unreliable, but only compare the rate of problems, which in absolute number may be small relative to the total produced. Unfortunately in the particular issue there's obviously not room to indicate how many responses they received for each and every make/model/year/problem, but those statistics might be available upon request.

Manufacturing is an art, as well as science. Parts are not necessarily made by the same supplier, on the same machine, and the raw materials do not even necessarily come from the same place. There is also likely to be turnover among the engineers, machinists and assemblers. Porsche like any auto manufacturer intends to make a profit and so is always looking for ways to save expenses - hopefully without taking a step backward. That's what quality contol is for. However, if they're not taking risks, they're guaranteed not to improve. Usually the changes are for the better, but there is no certainty. If quality only went in one direction, given how long humans have been building engines and gearboxes there would be absolutely no reason for one to fail. Bottom line, there is no guarantee that year Y + 1 is the same or a better beast than year Y.

Just as there is no substitute for a Porsche, there is also no substitute for doing due diligence on the purchase of a used (or new) Porsche. If the buyer is not mechnically inclined, is not buying a certified car from a dealership, doesn't know a good mechanic, but is going to buy anyway, the CR survey results can't hurt them - statistically speaking that is. Of course, the same might not be true for someone trying to sell one.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    811248 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451335 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268728 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91531 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8342 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

890072 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    847270 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM