Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Double Porsche Cayenne Win in the Rallye Trans-Siberia 2006

From WorldCarFans:

click HERE for link to web page

Quote:
    Two Porsche Cayennes at the top after more than 10,000 kilometers

Two Cayenne S have recently celebrated a double win in the Third International Rallye Transsyberia 2006, which added more than 10,000 kilometers to the clock. After almost three weeks, a German-Russian and a German-Spanish private team had moved significantly ahead of the field of 28 participating teams during the endurance test from Berlin through Moscow, Novosibirsk and Mongolia to Irkutsk and Lake Baikal.

The two series-built Cayennes had been adapted to the specific demands of one of the world's most spectacular car rallies. They were equipped with 17-inch special offroad tires, Porsche's air suspension and an offroad technology package including an offroad anti-roll bar and differential lock. The two private teams fitted mountings for spare tires and sand boards in the place of the rear seats. Boxes for tools, a tent and the driver and co-driver's gear were anchored in the trunk. The underbody was covered throughout in aluminum paneling to provide additional protection. A versatile air filter "snorkel" with an intake above the roof allowed the Cayennes to pass through water at door-window height. A rope winch and four extra headlights on the roof rounded off the vehicle equipment.

The two private teams drove their Cayennes to the very top of the board in special tests such as navigation exercises on unfamiliar terrain, extreme driving conditions offroad and in water and during timed stages on racing tracks in Mongolia. They did not let go of their leading position until they crossed the finishing line.

Re: Double Porsche Cayenne Win in the Rallye Trans-Siberia 2006

Those are not N spec tires! Shame on them

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Those are not N spec tires! Shame on them

Hmmm ... are you sure that's not the Pirelli Scorpion A/T tire? I think it is, and that tire is N rated. The non-spec thing would be the wheel size; can't do 17" on a Cayenne S without modification. They could put on the Cayenne V6 front brakes, that would do it, and it's probably all the braking power they would need anyway.

Are there any more pictures from this event?

Is the differential lock a Porsche option ??

Yes, a locking rear differential is part of the technical off-road package. A lockable center differential is standard equipment. There is no locking front differential available.

Ron, look again at the tyres - their profile looks much taller than any N rated 18" Cayenne tire I have seen.

Ron, look again at the tyres - their profile looks much taller than any N rated 18" Cayenne tire I have seen.

For those roads I would have switched to Yokahama's

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

I think you mean Gary and yes, they do have a taller profile. That's because they're 17", not 18"; . The 17" N rated Pirelli Scorpion A/T is available on the Cayenne V6 (235/65 R17), and I believe that's the tire we're looking at here, assuming we can believe the information in the press release.

Since the article states this was a Cayenne S there would be a problem fitting the 17" wheel over the standard Cayenne S front brakes. Because of the size of the front brakes, the minimum wheel size for the Cayenne S is 18". I am speculating that they may have modified a Cayenne S by installing the V6 front brakes onto an S. This would make some sense because the taller 17" tire profile would be a significant benefit off-road.

Yokohamas? If I were going to use something other than an "N" rated tire for off-road I think my choice would be the BF Goodrich All Terrain. I have used them before and it's a very popular off-road tire; the most popular IIRC. I really like the extra sidewall ply in the BF Goodrich. It makes for a very durable tire. When you're out in the middle of nowhere, many miles from pavement, tire durability becomes very meaningful.

Gary Your guess is probably pretty close!

Re: Double Porsche Cayenne Win in the Rallye Trans

It's kind of interesting that this news item made it into the magazines and net at this point. In the past couple of days I've been enjoying watching the 1/2hr highlights package on OLN for Dakar 2007 and a show on Speed about two teams that competed in the modified stock class (with Toyota FJ's) in the Baja 1000.

I realize that Porsche will not compete at Dakar especially as VW is already there. Nor is there any chance of them doing Baja (modified stock doesn't get the coverage they'd need, and Trophy Trucks isn't Porsche's thing). But it's too bad there aren't any privateer or semi-works effort.
    Can't you just hear the howls of anguish from the pavement pounders if Porsche returned to rally-raid ?

I still admire the looks of the 953's and 959's that Ickx and company ran at Dakar.

There is a good article about Porsche in the desert in the Jan issue of Motorsport magazine.

The Cayenne in the picture just looks like it is right in its element! A Porsche doing what it is designed to do..... It would be great to see them doing this more.

Trevor

Quote:
    trevorc said:
    It's kind of interesting that this news item made it into the magazines and net at this point. In the past couple of days I've been enjoying watching the 1/2hr highlights package on OLN for Dakar 2007 and a show on Speed about two teams that competed in the modified stock class (with Toyota FJ's) in the Baja 1000.

I realize that Porsche will not compete at Dakar especially as VW is already there. Nor is there any chance of them doing Baja (modified stock doesn't get the coverage they'd need, and Trophy Trucks isn't Porsche's thing). But it's too bad there aren't any privateer or semi-works effort.
    Can't you just hear the howls of anguish from the pavement pounders if Porsche returned to rally-raid ?

I still admire the looks of the 953's and 959's that Ickx and company ran at Dakar.

There is a good article about Porsche in the desert in the Jan issue of Motorsport magazine.

The Cayenne in the picture just looks like it is right in its element! A Porsche doing what it is designed to do..... It would be great to see them doing this more.

Trevor

Agreed!

video of rallye at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f5BMdUm0XQ&search=russia%204x4

Quote:
    trevorc said:
    [...] I still admire the looks of the 953's and 959's that Ickx and company ran at Dakar. [...]

I agree that I would love to see Porsche at Dakar again as well. However they should focus on track racing first of all - it took them long enough to tackle LMP2.

Apart from that Volkswagen puts quite a lot of effort into their Dakar engagement, which makes a contribution by Porsche rather obsolete. It still remains mysterious why no privateer uses the Cayenne - I believe there are more competitive packages available for this customer base.

There really should be some sort of multi-day endurance rallye in Canada/US for vehicles in this class, ie the range rover, cayennes, g-wagens. Heaven knows we have lots of backroads and wilderness roads...

The Alaska Highway still isn't paved!

This would be a natural for an off-road sports car like the Cayenne (thats what i consider it to be).

Quote:
    GM Austin said:

I think you mean Gary and yes, they do have a taller profile. That's because they're 17", not 18"; . The 17" N rated Pirelli Scorpion A/T is available on the Cayenne V6 (235/65 R17), and I believe that's the tire we're looking at here, assuming we can believe the information in the press release.

They look like the Pirelli's to me also... Very good point about sidewall strength and durability ! If you look at the profiles and construction of gravel rallye tyres, they are reinforced and strong sidewall tyres.

I am in the process of making an offer on a 05 V6 manual transmission Cayenne and once I get it (assuming the deal/offer is accepted) one of the very first things I will be doing is changing the tyres to either Scorpions or BF Goodrich as I drive a lot of gravel and dirt roads. I suspect I may swap the rims for something with more side strength as well. It is going to be interesting getting skid plating or similar under body protection..

Trevor

I highly recommend the rocker guards offered by Porsche. They are made to fit and do an excellent job. In particular, they protect the air-compressor (if you have PASM) under the passenger footwell. Porsche has other skidplates available as well for the front, under the engine and under the rear differential.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    I highly recommend the rocker guards offered by Porsche. They are made to fit and do an excellent job. In particular, they protect the air-compressor (if you have PASM) under the passenger footwell. Porsche has other skidplates available as well for the front, under the engine and under the rear differential.

Thx GM ........ I'll check those out !

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    811193 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451321 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268702 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91516 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8337 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

890050 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    847206 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM