Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Autozeitung: Porsche 997 GT3 RS vs Corvette Z06

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    The GT3 RS should smoke any production Corvette. The Carrera S should be inline with the Z06. This would've been the case if the C2S had 415hp and the GT3 had 500hp. Porsche is not staying ahead in the power game...All 911's should be fast and they are not. I say turbo charge all 911's, add another 44mm to the hips and use 325's.

I second that

Quote:
    GA997S said:I say turbo charge all 911's, add another 44mm to the hips and use 325's.

No thanks! All the best driving 911's have always been lightweight non-turbo models...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    GA997S said:I say turbo charge all 911's, add another 44mm to the hips and use 325's.

No thanks! All the best driving 911's have always been lightweight non-turbo models...

And the GT2??? Isn't that the ultimate 911? Turbo's don't have to be heavy.

OK I would prefer this statement:
    The GT3 RS should smoke any production Corvette. The Carrera S should be inline with the Z06. This would've been the case if the C2S had 415hp and the GT3 had 500hp. Porsche is not staying ahead in the power game... add another 44mm to the hips and use 325's.

Sorry GA for butchering your statement

Quote:
    PeterK said:
    Quote:
    RR4 said:

Ok, let's HONESTLY and INTELLECTUALY put both cars on identical tires. Done.
    BUT lets ALSO even up the field by putting 85 more HP in the RS OR dropping the Z06's HP down by 85HP.

Well, changing tires is something that anyone can do in as little as $1000 and an hour in a tire shop. How much would it take to add 85hp to an RS3? I recon it would be a major $$$

0$.Porsche designed a 3.6l engine because of their racing activities.If they decided to develop a 7l engine right from the beginning it wouldn't be more expensive than developing a smaller high revving engine.
    Actually,for a given hp figure,it's cheaper to have a bigger engine because the engineers won't have to care about VVT,compression ratios,high revs,...

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    BUT lets ALSO even up the field by putting 85 more HP in the RS OR dropping the Z06's HP down by 85HP.

This arguement leads me to simply say 'so what?'

Why is it important how much power the car has? If Someone could drop a VTEC Hinda Civic engine into a chassis and have it lap the same times, would that make it the better car? (If so, its called the Ariel Atom - actually the Atom is probably "better" because it would likely lap the track in less time than both cars)

If the lap time is the measure, then they are all equal, and they would accomplish the same task but with different overall designs. You may like one design, or enjoy driving one more than the other, but when talking about lap times, they are equal.

Is a Veyron less than a GT3 because it produces much more power but only provides a marginal improvement in acceleration and top speed? There is a law of diminishing returns at the upper stratosphere of cars.

The only thing that matters is how the car performs, and as long as we are talking about lap times to compare, you can't say that one car is better or less equal just because its designers & engineers have chosen to use an engine that creates less power and torque, or a more efficient eficient way of implementing the engine power. All you can say is that one car is more efficient than the other.

Sportscars are hardly an arena to praise efficiency . . .

When a Z06 smokes a GT3, or a Vette wins at Sebring time after time, I'm sure the losers aren't very much consoled by the fact that their car might have less hp. . .

Quote:
    GA997S said:And the GT2??? Isn't that the ultimate 911? Turbo's don't have to be heavy.

While the GT2 is faster than the GT3, the GT3 is widely reported to be the more responsive and rewarding car to drive. And the GT2 is much too heavy for me - the GT3 could stand to lose a bunch of weight too...

People in USA who have received the new 997GT3 and weighed their cars are reporting about 3,340 lbs with fuel (but no driver). That is as much as a 1980's BMW 5-series sedan. Yes, there is a problem in Zuffenhausen if that is their track-focused model

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    GA997S said:And the GT2??? Isn't that the ultimate 911? Turbo's don't have to be heavy.

While the GT2 is faster than the GT3, the GT3 is widely reported to be the more responsive and rewarding car to drive. And the GT2 is much too heavy for me - the GT3 could stand to lose a bunch of weight too...

People in USA who have received the new 997GT3 and weighed their cars are reporting about 3,340 lbs with fuel (but no driver). That is as much as a 1980's BMW 5-series sedan. Yes, there is a problem in Zuffenhausen if that is their track-focused model

Wow, that is WAY too heavy. Esp, since C6Z only tips the scale at less than 3100lb

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

3,340lbs. Wonderful.

Nice article! Thanks!

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    You've got to be joking.

Who do you honestly think the winner will be then?

Come on.
    Don't get me wrong - don't mean to sound like Im attacking you - I love the Z06, it looks great and it is a fun car to drive and it's an effing beast. It is exactly what it is, but the RS is more.

O.K. RR4, are you the mastermind behind parity in NASCAR??

Tires are interchangeable. If you're talking about track superiority, most owners come to the track armed with numerous sets of tires to match up with conditions...

You can imagine the laughter that would ensue if you were at a track day, and a Z06 guy bolted up a set of purposeful rubber, and you came running over crying "no fair, unless you put a governor on your throttle, or spot me a lap or two..."

Now if you choose to bolt on a blower, or spend uber-cash with a shop that can milk an additional 85 ponies through heads and exhaust and camming, that's fine and fair. But you can't discount the widening of the gulf in price, just in the effort to stay ahead. And remember, Joe Z06 can probably boost his Z06 on a cheaper budget, which still supports the fact you get a ton of performance for the buck, and the definition of "more" in the GTS RS can only be stated in concert with the words "for a hefty price"..

When there's a track & field race, they typically allow everyone to wear competitive shoes. If somebody enters the competition with scary raw ability, they don't tell him "hey, you walked into the locker room in hunting boots, so either you wear those, or we're letting all your competition juice-up on steroids..."

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    RR4 said:
    You've got to be joking.

Who do you honestly think the winner will be then?

Come on.
    Don't get me wrong - don't mean to sound like Im attacking you - I love the Z06, it looks great and it is a fun car to drive and it's an effing beast. It is exactly what it is, but the RS is more.

O.K. RR4, are you the mastermind behind parity in NASCAR??

Tires are interchangeable. If you're talking about track superiority, most owners come to the track armed with numerous sets of tires to match up with conditions...

You can imagine the laughter that would ensue if you were at a track day, and a Z06 guy bolted up a set of purposeful rubber, and you came running over crying "no fair, unless you put a governor on your throttle, or spot me a lap or two..."

Now if you choose to bolt on a blower, or spend uber-cash with a shop that can milk an additional 85 ponies through heads and exhaust and camming, that's fine and fair. But you can't discount the widening of the gulf in price, just in the effort to stay ahead. And remember, Joe Z06 can probably boost his Z06 on a cheaper budget, which still supports the fact you get a ton of performance for the buck, and the definition of "more" in the GTS RS can only be stated in concert with the words "for a hefty price"..

When there's a track & field race, they typically allow everyone to wear competitive shoes. If somebody enters the competition with scary raw ability, they don't tell him "hey, you walked into the locker room in hunting boots, so either you wear those, or we're letting all your competition juice-up on steroids..."

Excellent way to put it

Re: Autozeitung: Porsche 997 GT3 RS vs Corvette Z0

IMO the true driving thrill comes from the way the car handles and not by how powerful it is...I always keep in mind the absolute driving thrill when I'm thinking of a true sports car...the absolute driving thrill for is a go-kart because nothing intervenes in the feedback you get...it's light, it's got sharp handling and power...what else could you possibly ask???

so I don't care if the Z06 is faster than a GT3...since I'm not running for the championship or something, all that matters to me is in which car of the two I'll be having more fun...which one of the two will satisfy me the most...

where I live, a Z06 costs about the same as an new E46 M3...I'd take the Z06 without a second thought...but was I able to "stretch" to twice the price of the Z06, I'd get the GT3 any given day and I wouldn't give a damn if someone in a Z06 would be faster than me...I'll be having more fun in the GT3 and that would be enough for me

The fact that the GT3RS still beats it is what makes the RS so incredible.

Just so you know, a modified Z06 completed the Ring with a time of 7:42, which is, btw, the time Rorhl did it in a stock GT3RS on a PUBLIC and DAMP track - and he did that having to pass 5 cars and with a STOCK PRODUCTION CAR.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0509_z06track
    If you read the article please notice GM adjusted suspension setting, tires etc all day. They rented the track on their own - no public vehicles were on the track and with all the time in the world to adjust any setting they wanted and the TIRES they wanted they managed to just tie an unmodified stock, production GT3RS.

So there is your perfect scenario, GM tried it. Maybe you know something they don't.

In the meantime, congrats to GM for matching thr RS's time, but again they needed a MODIFIED 500HP Z06, a private track, and notice that they acheived the best time on the last lap, which meant it was a running start vs the usual standing start of official Ring times.

So if your talking "for the money" which is the better car? Absolutely the Z06 is the winner.
    But the RS is better car, and more capable car.
    Hands down.

Everybody's got their personal mix of priorities... I love good involving handling as-well. I think you'd be a bit lost owning a 911, and not having that appreciation...

However, I'm also a power junkie. If a car can't impress me with the gas pedal, I've got zero use for it, it bores me to tears and frustrates me to drive.. Kind of like having a hot wife... with zero sex drive.. Not a complete package...

But I agree that the overall "fun-factor" means more than empirical data, which is why I stepped-up to the plate on my 997S, instead of other available brands in the sports market.

That was a pre-production test-car, likely loaded with data-collecting equipment, and it said on treaded tires...

You can't refer to ANY pre-production test and give it any real-life credence, it's just about as valid as saying, "one time, at band camp, I french-kissed this tuba player and..."

I appreciate your argument that the GT3 RS is a more capable car, and what the hell, MAYBE it is...

But none of your "evidence" is worth a pound of pickle juice, it's all apples-to-avacados presumptions...

As always, I'm reminded of another appropriate scene from my favorite film...

BEDEVERE:
    Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! There are ways of telling whether she is a witch.
    VILLAGER #1:
    Are there?
    VILLAGER #2:
    Ah?
    VILLAGER #1:
    What are they?
    CROWD:
    Tell us! Tell us!...
    BEDEVERE:
    Tell me. What do you do with witches?
    VILLAGER #2:
    Burn!
    VILLAGER #1:
    Burn!
    CROWD:
    Burn! Burn them up! Burn!...
    BEDEVERE:
    And what do you burn apart from witches?
    VILLAGER #1:
    More witches!
    VILLAGER #3:
    Shh!
    VILLAGER #2:
    Wood!
    BEDEVERE:
    So, why do witches burn?
    [pause]
    VILLAGER #3:
    B--... 'cause they're made of... wood?
    BEDEVERE:
    Good! Heh heh.
    CROWD:
    Oh, yeah. Oh.
    BEDEVERE:
    So, how do we tell whether she is made of wood?
    VILLAGER #1:
    Build a bridge out of her.
    BEDEVERE:
    Ah, but can you not also make bridges out of stone?
    VILLAGER #1:
    Oh, yeah.
    RANDOM:
    Oh, yeah. True. Uhh...
    BEDEVERE:
    Does wood sink in water?
    VILLAGER #1:
    No. No.
    VILLAGER #2:
    No, it floats! It floats!
    VILLAGER #1:
    Throw her into the pond!
    CROWD:
    The pond! Throw her into the pond!
    BEDEVERE:
    What also floats in water?
    VILLAGER #1:
    Bread!
    VILLAGER #2:
    Apples!
    VILLAGER #3:
    Uh, very small rocks!
    VILLAGER #1:
    Cider!
    VILLAGER #2:
    Uh, gra-- gravy!
    VILLAGER #1:
    Cherries!
    VILLAGER #2:
    Mud!
    VILLAGER #3:
    Uh, churches! Churches!
    VILLAGER #2:
    Lead! Lead!
    ARTHUR:
    A duck!
    CROWD:
    Oooh.
    BEDEVERE:
    Exactly. So, logically...
    VILLAGER #1:
    If... she... weighs... the same as a duck,... she's made of wood.
    BEDEVERE:
    And therefore?
    VILLAGER #2:
    A witch!
    VILLAGER #1:
    A witch!
    CROWD:
    A witch! A witch!...
    VILLAGER #4:
    Here is a duck. Use this duck.
    [quack quack quack]
    BEDEVERE:
    Very good. We shall use my largest scales.
    CROWD:
    Ohh! Ohh! Burn the witch! Burn the witch! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Burn her! Ahh! Ahh...
    BEDEVERE:
    Right. Remove the supports!
    [whop]
    [clunk]
    [creak]

CROWD:
    A witch! A witch! A witch!
    WITCH:
    It's a fair cop.

Wow. seems, like your arguement is more fueled by your love of "flag waving" and boring annecdotes than anything else.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Wow. seems, like your arguement is more fueled by your love of "flag waving" and boring annecdotes than anything else.

Yeah...but it's funny and he's usually right.

Man, if Chevrolet would make a midengined Corvette, it would blow the 911 away in both handling and horsepower! The technology in the Corvette puts Porsche to shame. As a small company, Porsche doesn't have the resources to keep up with new car technology such as direct-injection, the new incarnation of dual-clutch transmissions, nor the ability to compete with the Audi R6, hence they're buying all the VW shares in order to force VW to stop developing the R6 and R8.

Quote:
    RR4 said:

Ouch.

I liked it, and I happen to agree with him.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:However, I'm also a power junkie. If a car can't impress me with the gas pedal, I've got zero use for it, it bores me to tears and frustrates me to drive.. Kind of like having a hot wife... with zero sex drive.. Not a complete package...

Best part ... LOL.

If GM had made the interior plain without any signs of attempted or successful luxury, then people would see the car as more focused and all of a sudden it would be more widely regarded as the real sports car that it is.

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    Man, if Chevrolet would make a midengined Corvette, it would blow the 911 away in both handling and horsepower! The technology in the Corvette puts Porsche to shame. As a small company, Porsche doesn't have the resources to keep up with new car technology such as direct-injection, the new incarnation of dual-clutch transmissions, nor the ability to compete with the Audi R6, hence they're buying all the VW shares in order to force VW to stop developing the R6 and R8.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard on this forum, with the exceotion of some Cayman owner calling other people names in the Cayman section...

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    As a small company, Porsche doesn't have the resources to keep up with new car technology such as direct-injection, the new incarnation of dual-clutch transmissions, nor the ability to compete with the Audi R6, hence they're buying all the VW shares in order to force VW to stop developing the R6 and R8.

Dude, what are you smoking?

Porsche were the ones who invented the double clutch system back in the early 80's.
    FYI, they licensed the technology to VW for 15 years, it ends in 2008, thus the reason why Porsche's 2008 models will come with the PDK as an option.

And Porsche's 2008 models will al be direct injected.
    The technology that Audi (VW group) is using is all Porsche technology.

I'm at a loss as to where I waved a flag in my posts...

Furthermore, car-prejudice runs both directions...

I was simply pointing out that pre-production cars are NOT FINISHED. They were quite obviously in the midst of chassis set-up, and there was likely more work done after that. "Modified"?? More like, "not finished".. And that goes for final engine calibration too... You have zero idea where they were "at" with the car, which is why I found it absurd that you would put forth that link as your silver bullet.

Shoot, Ford did most of their closed-course chassis development on the Ford GT with engineering mules running 4.6L mills, instead of the 5.4. Why?? I have no flippin' idea, but that's what they gave a few U.S. press reps a ride in a year or so prior to release.

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    If GM had made the interior plain without any signs of attempted or successful luxury, then people would see the car as more focused and all of a sudden it would be more widely regarded as the real sports car that it is.

People already regard the Z06 as a real sports car. Problem is that its 505HP motor barely competes with a car in a lesser category, the GT3RS.

The Z06 is in the GT2's category, and if the Z06 thought it had a hard time against the GT3RS, its going to have a tougher time with the GT2.

Again, the Z06 is a nice car. But the RS is a better car.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I'm at a loss as to where I waved a flag in my posts...

Furthermore, car-prejudice runs both directions...

I was simply pointing out that pre-production cars are NOT FINISHED. They were quite obviously in the midst of chassis set-up, and there was likely more work done after that. "Modified"?? More like, "not finished".. And that goes for final engine calibration too... You have zero idea where they were "at" with the car, which is why I found it absurd that you would put forth that link as your silver bullet.

Shoot, Ford did most of their closed-course chassis development on the Ford GT with engineering mules running 4.6L mills, instead of the 5.4. Why?? I have no flippin' idea, but that's what they gave a few U.S. press reps a ride in a year or so prior to release.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.
    Why can't you just stick to the facts.
    The Z06 is a nice car, but it can't beat the RS and it won't beat the GT2.
    But it is a great value. And I think GM will be SuperSizing it with the "Blue Devil". 650HP, maybe thats what it will take for the Z06 to beat the RS.

O.K. RR4, you win, so here's your crown. I hereby pronounce you "King of Speculation".

BTW, How is a $65K car "in the GT2's category"?? You treat horsepower like it's something UNFAIR, like it's cheating to show up at a track with it... I've got news for you, dollar for dollar, the Z06 is in the base 997 category. The fact that it runs with a GT3 RS is something that deserves due credit, not snobbish sneering... Horsepower envy isn't pretty, and is closely related to napoleon syndrome in my book.

When I discuss my purchase logic with friends regarding my 997S, I'm often asked "why didn't you save money and go with a Corvette", and I reply of course with the honest answers of fun-factor, quality, communication, dynamics, and that the car performs relatively equal to a standard C6 with less power... But that last statement always feels silly to me when I say it... There's nothing wrong with more power, we would all enjoy it if we had it.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    O.K. RR4, you win, so here's your crown. I hereby pronounce you "King of Speculation".

BTW, How is a $65K car "in the GT2's category"?? You treat horsepower like it's something UNFAIR, like it's cheating to show up at a track with it... I've got news for you, dollar for dollar, the Z06 is in the base 997 category. The fact that it runs with a GT3 RS is something that deserves due credit, not snobbish sneering... Horsepower envy isn't pretty, and is closely related to napoleon syndrome in my book.

When I discuss my purchase logic with friends regarding my 997S, I'm often asked "why didn't you save money and go with a Corvette", and I reply of course with the honest answers of fun-factor, quality, communication, dynamics, and that the car performs relatively equal to a standard C6 with less power... But that last statement always feels silly to me when I say it... There's nothing wrong with more power, we would all enjoy it if we had it.

I don't know why this debate is still continuing? Sure, Porsches are somewhat better cars than the Corvettes, but at what cost?
    Besides, the Z06 was designed to give supercar-like thrills, accessible to the average person and if it is perceived as competition to Porsche, then even better.
    And yes, the Z06 certainly is competition for the GT2. Lightweight, RWD and over 500 bhp (from what I recall most are putting out around 530), despite its lesser price tag. No use in getting into a p*ssing match over this.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776814 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441560 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262698 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260842 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85113 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5519 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880555 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815709 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM