Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Very disappointed with 997 TT

The problem of the 997 turbo is, that Porsche tries to combine everything in this car: since they currently don't have a real GT anymore, the turbo has to do as a substitute for the 928. But originally it comes from the rear end model line, which I would put nearer to a midengined sportscar than to a true GT.
    What I want to say is that the turbo nowadays it neither fish nor flesh, in German we have an expression for that, Porsche thinks it is the "egg-laying-wool-milk-pig" if you understand what I mean.

To think of the 997 turbo as a poor-man's Carrera GT is wishful thinking. Although I would prefer such a version of the turbo very much, with a much more aggressive shape, real sportscar exhaust sound and looks and a power output of more than 500 hp. Some may say, that's the job of the GT2, but for me also the GT2 is not special enough concerning its looks and doesn't differ enough to win a prize in the looks department compared to its Italian competitors.

So to me the conclusion is the following:
    If you want a superior GT with the focus on the comfort, get a CL65 AMG or SL65 (the new Maserati Coupé may be a cheaper alternative here).
    If you want basically the same, but perhaps with a little bit more exotic exclusivity, get a 599 GTB Fiorano.
    If you want a pure up-to-date sports car, get a F430 or Gallardo (or Ford GT if you want).
    If you want a pure sports car, but it has to be a Porsche, get a 997 GT3.
    If you want a Porsche, but don't like the looks of the GT3 either, the standard Carrera S/4S will do fine.
    If you want all that, but don't want to spend all that money, get a Corvette Z06.
    And if you extrovert enough, buy the Murciélago.

Great advice Rossi Makes me wonder about the most important question of all: how to afford these exotic beauties???

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    in German we have an expression for that, Porsche thinks it is the "egg-laying-wool-milk-pig" if you understand what I mean.

LoL and we all know that such an animal is just a fantasy

I wouldnt disagree with the last post as it definitely comes down to what you are looking for when you buy a turbo. The reason I have the other cars , gallardo , 430 M5 and indeed range rover is they all have different characters and on their day are in my opinion the best or among the best cars in the world. They all do however peak for different reasons while all (except the range rover) overlapping significantly also. The turbo as the go anywhere in any conditions at as fast you want in comfort in a body that looks like a supercar is pretty unbeatable. For a road trip or afternoon blast it loses hands down in my opinion to the ferrari and Gallardo. The last road trip I took these three cars on through the highlands in Scotland I found myself looking to get into the ferrari and Lambo all the time except when the conditions were poor or we had a long slog home that is when the turbo won hands down. Rossi is right however if its not your only car and you want an out and out sports car there are a number of better options. But as a car to live with day to day the TT is very hard to beat.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Great advice Rossi Makes me wonder about the most important question of all: how to afford these exotic beauties???

Don't we all share this problem?

... well, at least most of us.

Sorry about your quality problems. At 2300 miles my 997TT has had no problems at all. The speed and acceleration is there as others mentioned, you just don't "feel" it as much. I do agree with the exhaust note, needs to be more aggressive...my 993 sounds better and feels faster in certain conditions (cornering), but is nowhere close in speed or handling. Maybe an aftermarket exhaust and ECU flash will give you the feeling....or wait for the GT2 as someone mentioned.

Mike

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Stick a 70k investment in to bricks and water (around Greater London) and in the next 3 yrs your going to have it...

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

If Mike S hears you...

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    The problem of the 997 turbo is, that Porsche tries to combine everything in this car: since they currently don't have a real GT anymore, the turbo has to do as a substitute for the 928. But originally it comes from the rear end model line, which I would put nearer to a midengined sportscar than to a true GT.
    What I want to say is that the turbo nowadays it neither fish nor flesh, in German we have an expression for that, Porsche thinks it is the "egg-laying-wool-milk-pig" if you understand what I mean.

To think of the 997 turbo as a poor-man's Carrera GT is wishful thinking. Although I would prefer such a version of the turbo very much, with a much more aggressive shape, real sportscar exhaust sound and looks and a power output of more than 500 hp. Some may say, that's the job of the GT2, but for me also the GT2 is not special enough concerning its looks and doesn't differ enough to win a prize in the looks department compared to its Italian competitors.

If you want a superior GT with the focus on the comfort, get a CL65 AMG or SL65 (the new Maserati Coupé may be a cheaper alternative here).
    If you want basically the same, but perhaps with a little bit more exotic exclusivity, get a 599 GTB Fiorano.
    If you want a pure up-to-date sports car, get a F430 or Gallardo (or Ford GT if you want).
    If you want a Porsche, but don't like the looks of the GT3 either, the standard Carrera S/4S will do fine.
    If you want all that, but don't want to spend all that money, get a Corvette Z06.

I agree with what you are saying but I see the other side of the coin as well. The simple fact that we can compare the 997tt to all of the cars that you mention and that it is competitive if not beating some of them in some areas, while also being able to perform in most weather conditions every day makes the 997tt that much more incredible to me.

An interesting comparision would be an "all weather" fighter/bomber capable of multiple roles as an interceptor, a ground support attack craft, and a strike bomber which was "all weather" and "day/night" suited and so easy to fly as to reduce pilot fatigue.

Compare that against dedicated interceptors or dedicated bombers which would only be rated to fly in clear skies.

Quote:
    Rossi said:

Well said.

Guess it really depends on what you want from a sports car & what about it makes you the most happy. You should know that about yourself before buying anything. Some guys want more of a straight line high speed missle. Sounds like Lukas may be in this category. ie) The SL65. I know that for me I want a sports car that I can use everyday which does EVERYTHING well. A car that can compete w/ the best of them in ALL categories. A track car to commute to work in & then take the family out for the weekend together. Good weather, bad weather. Very high H.P. car that can still get decent highway mpg's. A swiss army knife of a car. For me nothing does it ALL like the Porsche turbo and especially the turbo cabriolet. But one of my favorite things about my 997 and about my previous 996 turbo is how the car performs handling wise. The way it shrinks around you when driving aggressive. I'm not really interested in 150mph to 190mph sprints. I love the 911 for the way it drives, accelerate's, turns, shifts and feels. The whole package when looked at together. Got to be honest I'm still not overly thrilled w/ the way the new turbo looks although I think it will make for a better looking convertible than coupe but there's not another car on the market that does it all even at higher price points. They're either not practical for everyday use (Lambo's, Ferrari) & or don't have 2 + 2 seating or don't combine their straight line speed w/ precision handling ability. (M's 65's, 63). Most of all I just don't feel the same type of confidence driving them agressively especially during commuting like I feel in the 911. Very hard to explain in words this feeling of driving confidence but I think a lot of that has to do w/ the seating position, size of the 911 and direct driving feedback from the car; steering, brakes, suspension, acceleration.. Mostly imo it is the way the whole package works together and from the constant improvements/adjustments made over the past 40 years..........For some guys the new 600hp Viper might make them happier. I had a Viper, it was fun but traded it after I got it out of my system 4 months later for a Porsche turbo. btw: The CL looks incredible imho. A CL65 - saaahhweet!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

If Mike S hears you...

Well Crash, I was thinking EXACTLY about him.

Sold my turbo. As much as I really did like the car, I felt as though it was missing some of the road feel that I got from my 997S.

After selling the turbo, I drove a 997S and realized how much I really did miss the n/a motor and that sports car connected feeling. Granted, it was down on power, but still has some appeal over the turbo.
    I did not have any issues with my launch car other than loud brakes, but I have to admit I thought the tt would feel faster than it did.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

If Mike S hears you...

Well Crash, I was thinking EXACTLY about him.

I know !

Quote:
    devo said:
    Sold my turbo. As much as I really did like the car, I felt as though it was missing some of the road feel that I got from my 997S.

After selling the turbo, I drove a 997S and realized how much I really did miss the n/a motor and that sports car connected feeling. Granted, it was down on power, but still has some appeal over the turbo.
    I did not have any issues with my launch car other than loud brakes, but I have to admit I thought the tt would feel faster than it did.

Perhaps you should try the Gallardo then. Great N/A engine with a superb chassis.

Straight line acceleration is usually the first thing a new car owner becomes accustomed to ( and possibly bored with - it's the old phenomena of becoming " velocitized " , i.e., the car is still fast but you get used to it and become hungry for even more speed or rate of speed change). And with some of today's garden variety $35K " sporty sedans having better acceleration than mid-80s Porsche and Ferraris, there is a point now where one wonders how anyone can have any wide open throttle fun away from a track without seriously endangering oneself or others?
    Nick has a point about buying a sports car that is fun to drive , sounds fun and is nice to stare at in the garage , even if you hardly ever go WOT in it.
    Notice how there is very little talk about driving PLEASURE on any internet car board ? It's all bench racing, look at my new wheels/ego bashing or service /mechanical complaints.
    Someone should start a board called " Iactuallyenjoy driving.com "

eclou, rossi , stradale , mkw ...thanks for saving me some time ...well said totally agree...from my perspective im very pleased with the everyday real world performance, driveability and build quality of my launch code tt...im not and never will be derek bell, wr et all...also not bill gates...but do enjoy spirited blu road fun....guess thats some of the reasons im about my tt

I think that the reports we see re disappointed Turbo owners are suspicious. These people have other problems (psychological, sociological, financial, etc.) and they are not telling.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    I think that the reports we see re disappointed Turbo owners are suspicious. These people have other problems (psychological, sociological, financial, etc.) and they are not telling.

Actually, you are correct in your assumption, all of the above; except financial. Sorry, oh...so sorry for posting my opinion. What issues do you have that you can not take constructive criticism about an object?

Quote:
    ADias said:

You are joking, right? Just tell me you are joking, buddy.

Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

Actually, you are correct in your assumption, all of the above; except financial. Sorry, oh...so sorry for posting my opinion. What issues do you have that you can not take constructive criticism about an object?

I would love to know what kind of medication you guys are on to make you so delusional .

Well said Barney

Quote:
    Barney said:
    The turbo as the go anywhere in any conditions at as fast you want in comfort in a body that looks like a supercar is pretty unbeatable.. But as a car to live with day to day the TT is very hard to beat.

That's exactly the reason why I'm enjoying mine so much.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

I would love to know what kind of medication you guys are on to make you so delusional .

Curious. Why am I delusional? I posted an opinion. Sorry if that offends you. The turbo is the best car in the world. Do you feel better now?

Re: Well said Barney

Quote:
    W211 said:
    Quote:
    Barney said:
    The turbo as the go anywhere in any conditions at as fast you want in comfort in a body that looks like a supercar is pretty unbeatable.. But as a car to live with day to day the TT is very hard to beat.

That's exactly the reason why I'm enjoying mine so much. [/quote

I just favor n/a cars. The turbo is so good at going very fast that I feel it has lost some of the fun factor for me. Now leave me alone so I can take my meds.

Quote:
    devo said:
    Curious. Why am I delusional? I posted an opinion. Sorry if that offends you. The turbo is the best car in the world. Do you feel better now?

devo,

No hard feelings I was just kidding.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Straight line acceleration is usually the first thing a new car owner becomes accustomed to ( and possibly bored with - it's the old phenomena of becoming " velocitized " , i.e., the car is still fast but you get used to it and become hungry for even more speed or rate of speed change). And with some of today's garden variety $35K " sporty sedans having better acceleration than mid-80s Porsche and Ferraris, there is a point now where one wonders how anyone can have any wide open throttle fun away from a track without seriously endangering oneself or others?
    Nick has a point about buying a sports car that is fun to drive , sounds fun and is nice to stare at in the garage , even if you hardly ever go WOT in it.
    Notice how there is very little talk about driving PLEASURE on any internet car board ? It's all bench racing, look at my new wheels/ego bashing or service /mechanical complaints.

Well put. I'll join.

LukasLuis, sorry for your disappointment, but as I recall (confirmed by a search of your posts) you were told at the outset that this car was not for you and that you would be disappointed in it. You apparently ignored the advice of several long time Porsche owners and plunged ahead with your purchase. Yours was a "quick purchase" based on very little research, so it comes as no surprise to me that you're unhappy. You probably should have stuck to your original premonition and bought another Benz of some ilk. With their big V-8s they are better suited to an auto box, which you obviously prefer. Best advice I could give is trade it!

Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:

Well put. I'll join.

Thats exactly how I feel too. In fact after reading the December issue of GTPorsche, if I get another sports car as a stable mate to the 997tt, it's going to be a 356B. A well sorted 356 would be fun on country roads. I can't envision being able to extract the limits from the 997tt, I simply don't have the skill...or a track anywhere near me to do it. But I love driving it. Another three months and out of hibernation she comes. Well 4 months MAX
    I couldn't be happier with the choice to get it...it exceeded my expectations, all around and I can't imagine needing much more than this and if I do...I'll mod it later. But these mods will have to enhance the fun I have when driving it. otherwise for me the changes would be pointless. Great post MKW. Long live driving.

As I posted recently I sold my '07 Turbo after two weeks.Five weeks later I purchased a '07 Z06 which was Tuesday. I now have 200 miles on the car still have more break in miles to put on car.

The Z06 does not have the soft ride of the Turbo. I will install a set of Ohlins adjustable shocks to help the street ride and to firm up track ride . I am replacing the Goodyears with Michelins.

The Z06 has power on tap all the time. Easy to drive, easy to go fast. The sound of the 427 back to the tail pipes is a pleasure to hear when pressing the loud pedal. This car is serious fast. The only Porsches I would go back to would be a GT3 or a GT2.

Usually if I am not happy with any of my car, I dump it as fast as I can. It will be gone before I even know it myself. I don't go on line and complain about the quality of it and hold on to the car, but everyone is different, I guess.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777516 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441816 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262820 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261028 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85297 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5600 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880712 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816108 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM