Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

911 miles: I love this car!

Hey guys, I've driven 911 miles since I picked up my car 3 weeks ago. So far, fingers crossed, it's been absolutely flawless. Only 200ml of Mobil 1 0W-40 engine oil added so far. The manual gearbox is loosening up nicely.

My wife has developed a new habit. While I'm driving along she presses the Sport button (Sport Chrono) without telling me just to see my reaction!

This car's practicality is simply unbelievable. I put a 10kg sack of rice on my rear seats and a full week's grocery shopping in the front boot yesterday.

But best of all, the thrill I get driving this car is just amazing!

I absolutely love this car!!!!!

Re: 911 miles: I love this car!

"First pic I've seen with the needle at zero."

You took your car to a supermarket car park? Did you stay sat in it whilst your wife did the weekly shop?

It's a fabulous feeling isn't it. Emm, this thread has got me wanting to go for a drive.

Don't drive it anymore... 911 miles on the car will make it a collector in 30 years

I sometimes take the 911 to bay the weekly groceries for my family ( 2 adults and 3 children) I fit everything in the car!!!
    The funniest is the look of the people when I arrive at the car with the trolley

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    This car's practicality is simply unbelievable. I put a 10kg sack of rice on my rear seats and a full week's grocery shopping in the front boot yesterday.

You'd get Uncle Ben into the back seat for short trips, so a 10 kg sack of his product should be no problem at all.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:My wife has developed a new habit. While I'm driving along she presses the Sport button (Sport Chrono) without telling me just to see my reaction!

What a gal!!

Here's another with the speedo at zero! Maybe we can make this into a habit!

Congrats Easy_rider911! She gets even better as the miles go on! Go easy on her as you break her in!

Ah, if you look Easy's sits below zero and it might be the angle but yours is just over. So, your not actually going as fast as you think and Easy is actually going faster.

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Don't drive it anymore... 911 miles on the car will make it a collector in 30 years

That is so funny. I was going to write the exact same thing.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

My wife has developed a new habit. While I'm driving along she presses the Sport button (Sport Chrono) without telling me just to see my reaction!

I push my wife's heated seat button on and carefully notice how she reacts. Then I know what to expect later when I get her home. My bet is that's what your wife is doing to you with the sport button.

Congrats on your new full-blown Porsche hormonal imbalance; welcome to the club.

WTF? What did I miss out on? My 06 997S doesn't look like this (I do have TPMS):

I believe that is the turbo boost from the TT. I could be wrong as I don't have a turbo model.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    WTF? What did I miss out on? My 06 997S doesn't look like this (I do have TPMS):

Yup, you missed out on a coupla turbochargers, intercoolers, lotsa torque and horsepower and a few other goodies.

Oh ........ and a price hike of several thousand bucks.

But, as you say, you do have TPMS!

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Yup, you missed out on a coupla turbochargers, intercoolers, lotsa torque and horsepower and a few other goodies.

Oh ........ and a price hike of several thousand bucks.

But, as you say, you do have TPMS!

LOL, Hi Fritz!

Yeah, you nailed it. I'm trading the thing in sooner than planned, I gotta have the turbo; the new instrumentation is intoxxxxxxxicatingggggggg.

Three WEEKS to get to 911 miles? I got there in three DAYS. Get with the program! Drive!

Dan

C'mon Dan L. Unlike you, I didn't get to go on a tour of the EU due to the weather! Don't rub it in!

sorry, Easy. I'm thinking a Spring time tour to the Highlands will be in order!

Quote:
    ResB said:You took your car to a supermarket car park? Did you stay sat in it whilst your wife did the weekly shop?

Yup - sorry - I know that's a sin! But it's my only car so it's gotta do those chores as well!

We tend to go to the supermarket around 8am on Saturday morning before the car park gets busy. We also park far from where any cars are so much less risk of anyone parking next to us.

Quote:
    Gnil said:The funniest is the look of the people when I arrive at the car with the trolley

Exactly!! People arriving or leaving in their big SUVs, people carriers, saloon cars and estate cars look at us in a funny way. They see all the bags in the full supermarket trolley disappear into the front boot and can't quite believe it!

Quote:
    fritz said:You'd get Uncle Ben into the back seat for short trips, so a 10 kg sack of his product should be no problem at all.

LOL

Actually the space in the back area is huge. The problem is getting the items into the narrow triangular gap between the door B pillar and the front seat backs. I don't want to scratch the volcano grey finish!

I have found the secret is to hav lots of small soft bags rather than 1 or 2 larger bags. It's easier on my lower back too!

Thanks for the pic atomic80. It's interesting to see that in the UK, our oil temperature and coolant temperature analogue guages are in Celsius while the analogue speedometer guage is in miles per hour. A mixture of imperial and metric. How silly! I wish the UK could make up it's mind whether we really are in the EU or not??!!

Quote:
    MMD said:Congrats on your new full-blown Porsche hormonal imbalance; welcome to the club.

Thanks man.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    They see all the bags in the full supermarket trolley disappear into the front boot and can't quite believe it!

Does your car feel like a 4wd after putting all the stuff into the front boot
    Good to see that you're enjoying the multi purpose capabilities of your baby
    BTW comments become even more funny when we misuse our 987 S as a grocery hauler feeding both trunks with our weekend purchases - of course the icecream never goes into the rear trunk

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Thanks for the pic atomic80. It's interesting to see that in the UK, our oil temperature and coolant temperature analogue guages are in Celsius while the analogue speedometer guage is in miles per hour. A mixture of imperial and metric. How silly! I wish the UK could make up it's mind whether we really are in the EU or not??!!

Or are you talking about the analog gauge? Is yours seriously in MPH? It should be in km/h no? Maybe they figure that you can have your digital gauges in km/h? I find that I rarely look at the analog gauges anyways.

No man, I do mean the analogue oil temperature and coolant temperature gauges. In UK cars (C16 spec), they are in degrees Celsius not Fahrenheit. However, the analogue speedometer gauge is in mph not kph. Funny huh?!

The analogue speedometer has to be in mph. It's a UK Department of Transport regulatory requirement.

I only mentioned this as an observation of how the UK's partial embrace of the EU pans out in practice.

We went 'decimal' in the early 1970s. We adopted the metric system then but didn't impose an actual legal requirement for all weights/measures to be in metric units.

So we have our speed limits in mph and braking distances in feet. But temperatures are in degrees Celsius. At the petrol station, we buy fuel by the litre not the UK gallon (which incidentally is slightly different to the US gallon!).

There's a new EU Directive coming into force (I believe) next year forcing all weights/measures (e.g. in the grocery store) to be quoted in metric units as well as in imperial units.

At the supermarket, we buy fruit and veg in pounds and ounces. But we buy bottles of Coca Cola in litres not fluid ounces.

Crazy huh??

I wish the UK would finally accept the reality that we are in the EU permanently for better or for worse.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    No man, I do mean the analogue oil temperature and coolant temperature gauges. In UK cars (C16 spec), they are in degrees Celsius not Fahrenheit. However, the analogue speedometer gauge is in mph not kph. Funny huh?!

The analogue speedometer has to be in mph. It's a UK Department of Transport regulatory requirement.

I only mentioned this as an observation of how the UK's partial embrace of the EU pans out in practice.

We went 'decimal' in the early 1970s. We adopted the metric system then but didn't impose an actual legal requirement for all weights/measures to be in metric units.

So we have our speed limits in mph and braking distances in feet. But temperatures are in degrees Celsius. At the petrol station, we buy fuel by the litre not the UK gallon (which incidentally is slightly different to the US gallon!).

There's a new EU Directive coming into force (I believe) next year forcing all weights/measures (e.g. in the grocery store) to be quoted in metric units as well as in imperial units.

At the supermarket, we buy fruit and veg in pounds and ounces. But we buy bottles of Coca Cola in litres not fluid ounces.

Crazy huh??

I wish the UK would finally accept the reality that we are in the EU permanently for better or for worse.

Thanks for the primer on the weights and measures situation over there. It proves crazy has no boarders.

So that's why those cars I drove in the UK all had their speedos in MPH. I was wondering about that.

Thanks for the "lesson" too. Do you think the UK will ever join the EU?

We already are in the EU!!! Although when you look at some of the idiotic comments made by some Members of Parliament in the UK, you'd think we weren't!

(We joined the European Economic Community on 1st January 1973 when the UK European Communities Act 1972 came into force in the UK). The EEC became the EU in 1986 following the Maastricht Treaty. This Treaty was made part of UK law by the UK Single European Act of 1986.

Oh god, here I am boring you car enthusiasts with EU law!! Sorry!

You're not boring me at all..I find this to be very educational actually! I think that the fact that you folks are still using the pounds as opposed to Euros is what also confuses us foreigners. I'm aware that the UK has some connections to the UK but its not as complete as some would be led to believe.

Well, membership of the EU is a separate issue from adopting the Euro as our currency.

Personally, I would prefer it if the UK did adopt the Euro. We would be able to spend our own currency whenever we go on holiday to the rest of the EU without worrying about exchange rates or commission payable upon exchanging currency.

There are plenty of strong theoretical arguments for doing so e.g. businesses would eliminate FX market risk on cross-border transactions within the EU (although FX hedging does this anyway, albeit at some cost).

Nonetheless, it is politically a dead issue in the UK. We seem to be happy to be a bit part player in the EU but not in the Euro currency itself.

Why? History...October 1992...Black Wednesday. The UK was a member of the ERM (Exchange Rate Mechanism) which involved raising/lowering interest rates to support/lower the value of the GB Pound to keep it within certain agreed bands. This wasn't possible in the short-termist nature of the FX markets and Black Wednesday happened. Interest rates in the UK went up over 10% in one day to 15%. It cost the Conservative Prime Minister John Major the next General Election. The Chancellor of the Exchequer Norman Lamont resigned and his career never recovered. It was a fiasco.

The Euro currency suffers from the stigma of the ERM in the eyes of the great British public. That may never change.

The absurdity is made worse by the fact that the lay public (by which I mean non-lawyers) in the UK believe that adopting the Euro will somehow mean handing over legal sovereignty to the EU.

That happened back in 1973!!! The UK Parliament is no longer legally sovereign. Following the decisions of the European Court of Justice in Van Gend en Loos, Costa v ENEL and more recently in Factortame, Marleasing, Francovich, legal sovereignty rests with the EU. UK Courts are obliged to interpret UK law (even contrary to its literal meaning!) to give effect to EU Law.

If the UK Parliament passes an Act which contravenes EU Law, the European Commission takes the UK to the ECJ and forces the UK to either change the law or 'derogate' from it.

Oh boy, now I am really going on and on about the topic "The Sovereignty of the EU" which every law student in the UK studies...

I just wish people realise what the legal reality is. Somehow, the public don't realise what happened back in 1973.

well my fellow Brit, you, as a country, are unique with all the diversities you've got going on there...UK has to understand that your days as an empire are long gone...just like my country has nothing to do with what it was in ancient times...but we know that already...and you have to realise that too...Jeremy Clarkson said it on air too and I was impressed just to listen someone that important saying it...

I'm afraid you're right about dropping your beloved pound...you'll have no control over the fiscal policy...that is decided and implied by the ECB...and many "smart" people will take advantage of the change to euro and they'll start charging more...eventually everything will become more expensive...I believe other members that live in the EU can justify my words you know...but here's a simple example...before the euro one 0,5lt bottle of water had 50 drachmas...now it costs 0,50 euros, which is equivalent to 170 drachmas...in other words more than 200% increase in just 3-4 years...a couple of years ago I was shopping at the super market with a friend of mine who is a foreigner and we were chatting in english about how expensive everything is so this really gorgeous blonde woman approached us and started chatting with us...she was from california, hehe , and she said in my country everything is way more expensive than in LA!!! and that was 2 years ago...imagine now...

all I'm trying to say is be careful what you wish for because you might just get it...having the euro has many priviliges, I can go anywhere I want to in the EU just with my ID and my money and there's no problem with that...now you just try going to the USA...you need a visa, I hope I wrote it right, and $ too...and it takes time and money to have both done...anyways...as in everything in life the EU and the euro has good and bad effects on our lives...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    805641 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449090 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266702 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90284 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6937 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886652 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835349 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM