Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What will be the ideal daily driver to compliment TT?

I've started to get itchy - need to replace my IS350 with something with more oomph and better handling - I looked at the M5 again - my dealer has 2 '06's which they willing to make a sweet deal on - I drove one - the drivetrain is awesome, although the SMG seemed too cumbersome(although I owned 2 M3 SMG's previously) - then there's the fugly exterior. I won't consider an E63 since I had an '05 E55, although awesome acceleration, handled like cr@p. I also like the RS4, but Audi's resale value sux - just look at 1 yo S4's.
    So, what other options are there? Another thought is to go for an SUV - either Cayenne or new X5 4.8?

Re: What will be the ideal daily driver to compliment TT?

How about a ML63? I just took delivery of one on Monday and it performs beyond my expectation. Never knew such a big beast can be this fast.

This beast joins my 997TT and CLS55 in the garage and personally I think I found the 3 perfect cars and 2 of them are going to be daily driven between me and my wife year round.

Granted the gas bill is not going to be small but when I opened the garage door seeing almost 1500hp waiting for me, I always seem to forget about the fillup cost.

I recommend the Audi A8 W12 with short-wheel base and sport suspension.

Just do a test drive. Warning: don't test any other A8 (i.e. smaller engine, other suspension etc.). While all A8 are nice cars the above version feels entirely different. A great car indeed

ML63 is an option - will go to the MB dealer this w/end - I know what you mean about the 1500 hp - like my salesman at Bimmer (good buddy of mine) says - once you in the 500hp club, it is difficult to drop drove my SL55 yesterday - just awesome acceleration, yet so different from the TT.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Just do a test drive. Warning: don't test any other A8 (i.e. smaller engine, other suspension etc.). While all A8 are nice cars the above version feels entirely different. A great car indeed

I would prefer the S8, the exhaust sound alone is worth the money.

On my list for other cars to "compliment" the TT: Cayenne Turbo FACELIFT (data soon available!), ML 63 AMG, BMW M5, Audi RS4 or RS6. Living in the US, I could imagine buying a Cherokee SRT8 too.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

I would prefer the S8, the exhaust sound alone is worth the money.

On my list for other cars to "compliment" the TT: Cayenne Turbo FACELIFT (data soon available!), ML 63 AMG, BMW M5, Audi RS4 or RS6. Living in the US, I could imagine buying a Cherokee SRT8 too.

Agreed, the S8 is also a nice option

BTW: Had the opportunity to drive a S8 on the track ( ) some two weeks ago. I was surprised how well this car handles in an environment which I considered unsuitable for a 2t car... Major difference (compared to the W12) is the engine sound which is typical V8 (sounds like the engine of a big boat). The W12, in contrast, has a very smooth engine sound. Also very, very attractive. Apart from the sound I could not notice any major differences.

As a daily driver, I'd consider the new X5 4.8. Im on the freeways everyday and I like to have the vantage point from an SUV. the new X5 is really nice and it wont completely break the bank.

S8 - I like the fact it's a " knowing car guy " vehicle - invisible to the luxury masses . And with a set of Nokian WR AWPs , you can do "donuts" and "figures of 8" after a day on the slopes in the parking lot of your favorite ski resort , too !

Boy am I glad my choice is on RC's shotlist too :P

ML63 here in Canada is over 60k cheaper than the Cayenne Turbo S, I considered than a great bargain for the performance and while the Turbo S maybe handles a little bit better, I don't think it's worth 60k more.

I almost bought a A8 4.2 last year, my 745i's warranty was coming up and after seeing BMW sink over 40k on warranty work on the car, I am not prepared to keep it past warranty period even when I considered it one of the best sedan I have driven and I love that car to death. The Audi salesman was so confident of the car he told me to take it home and test it for a week and I will surely comeback and buy one. He was right. The A8 handles just like the 745i if not better, interior is on par with the excellent 745i and just as comfortable, the AWD is amazing in the wet but the deal felt thru on the last day when I took the car golfing. The trunk is HORRIBLE for golfers, it's big but not wide or deep enough for golf clubs, I could put 4 sets of clubs and 2 push carts in the 745 trunk but only half of that in the Audi's, and that was the deal breaker. When I returned the car to the salesman, I told him he was right to be confident about selling the car, it's is a GREAT car and I would have bought it if not for the fact that the trunk is a couple inches too narrow.

It was a moot point when I bought my CLS55 which has a even smaller trunk the next day. After one short test drive around the block, an engine with that much oomph makes me forget about trunk size QUICKLY.

S8 is great but V10 with ONLY 420hp? Surely they can do better than that when BMW's produced 500+ and even the Gallardo has 500+.

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Boy am I glad my choice is on RC's shotlist too :P

Right now, I wouldn't go for the Cayenne Turbo S since the Cayenne facelift is just around the corner.

I put a few more thoughts in this and I'd say that I'd go for the Audi RS4 or RS6 Avant because they're somehow "stealth" too. For Bavarian winters however, I think that the ML 63 AMG would be the better choice but it is still very expensive and I don't want to spend that much money on a family car anymore.

I looked up the prices for used Audi RS4 and RS6 over here in Germany, pretty interesting, most of them loose a lot of money, so buying a new one would be probably a mistake.
    In 2-3 years, I need to take a decision but one thing is for sure: if I don't win the lottery or my business is doing much better (very unlikely), I surely won't go for a Cayenne Turbo again. The V6 is too lethargic and the S not fast enough for me (there are already "compact" cars driving around with the same performance over here).

Maybe I'll go for an Audi RS this time or the Audi Q7 V12 Diesel...I really don't know, it depends on my monetary situation in 2-3 years, unfortunately I doubt it is going to be better.

Having owned an ML, I will never buy another US built MBZ. Peruse the ML boards on the new version and seems like there are still lots of problems with rattles, electrical and tranny glitches , etc. . Part of the problem with US built German cars is they have to buy a lot of minor components /parts from US suppliers to appease the politicians , bolster PR, and to take advantage of locale and currency.

AUDI RS4 if you dont need much room... Or wait for lexus IS500

I'm another one of those that's against the idea of getting a ML. I had a ML55 but only kept it for 5 months before selling it. I couldn't believe how poorly built it was not to mention the fact that it didn't handle that well. I guess it all depends on what you want as a daily driver. Do you want 4x4, versatility, power, good handling, etc.

Too easy. Make the TT the daily driver!! Why bother with anything else.....I have not driven my truck since I picked up my TT. Anyone want a good deal on a Tundra?

Got rid of the 997TT Tip/PCCB as a poss winter commuter car after 2mos/2500mis of lateSumm/Fall "testing"....too much turbo lag, awful exhaust note, lack of paddleshifters...and a measly <18 gall fuel tank, making fillups too freq....will reconsider 997TT after P comes up w/a competitive PDK and PSE....

Got a CL550 last wk; after 700 mis, would argue best overall car I've ever driven....excellent mid-range tq; accurate steering/strong brakes; arguably world's safest/highest-tech car today....will keep it until I can get my CL63 in Mar, w/AMG-engineered linear motor/tranny, exhaust note, paddleshifters, steering/chassis/brakes, sport seats, etc etc.....

I have to say though, the new ML is much better than the old one, better brakes (no longer spongy). Nicer interior. Funny we all have different priorities, for me, the deal breaker for the ML63 in North America is the burl wood trim. I may consider the ML320 CDi Bluetec for the range.

Personally, for the size and handling of a big CL coupe, I would go for the sedan version. Probably the S550 4matic for speeding in the wet and the 4 door format driving other passengers. For that reason, I'm keeping my 750Li until warranty expires.

If you don't need much room, I think the E550 4matic is pretty good value for the price with the 380hp engine. Would have picked one up if they had the wagon version.

Just dropped off the 997TT in the shop to install the snows and plan to use it even in freezing temperature.

since you don't like Audi RS's, the RS4 has a great engine and fine interior as well, and don't want a Merc or BMW either, although the 760 is a great car, I'd say how about a Maserati Quattroporte if you've got them down there...awesome V8 sound and great handling too..fabulous italian interior and image...what else could you ask for?

I agree with the comments about U.S. built ML's. My experience with a ML55 mirrors Atomic 80 and MKW. My Cayenne Turbo S has been trouble free, with winter tires performs well in inclement conditions during mid west winters, serves as a "luxury" vehicle when required, and a "dog wagon." For me, the price difference over the ML63 was more than justified.

When more info. on the facelifted Cayenne Turbo comes out (hopefully next week), then the decision should be very easy. It will be Cayenne Turbo all the way.

We just had some heavy snowfall in Vancouver last week. The key to snow driving turns out to be not just 4WD or snow tires, it is ground clearance. My Cayenne S can go anywhere, but my 530xi is have some hard time as the snow on the small streets is quite deep. My brother put 4 snow tires on his 997S, but he can't even get out of his driveway.

When the facelifted Cayenne Turbo arrives, I predict it will re-claim the King of SUV title.

Boy, all this talk of $100,000 "daily drivers" makes me that much happier with my "daily beater" 1991 Nissan 4X2 pickup @ $6399 new. 162,000 miles and still goin' strong. 27 mpg around town on regular gas. One of the most fun vehicles I've ever owned.

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    Boy, all this talk of $100,000 "daily drivers" makes me that much happier with my "daily beater" 1991 Nissan 4X2 pickup @ $6399 new. 162,000 miles and still goin' strong. 27 mpg around town on regular gas. One of the most fun vehicles I've ever owned.

Why can't a $100K car also be a daily driver?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Over the Hill said:

I didn't say it couldn't. It just seems sort of a waste to me to drive a high performance luxury car around in bumper to bumper traffic and having the parking lot Bozo's pounding door dings into it. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

To go with my Turbo (several years ago) I had a 1968 VW Bus. Now THAT was a beater, and the antithesis of the turbo!

Dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    To go with my Turbo (several years ago) I had a 1968 VW Bus. Now THAT was a beater, and the antithesis of the turbo!

Dan

no mate, that's insane!!! LOL

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    We have a lot in common then - same handling as the IS350

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Over the Hill said:

I didn't say it couldn't. It just seems sort of a waste to me to drive a high performance luxury car around in bumper to bumper traffic and having the parking lot Bozo's pounding door dings into it. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I couldn't agree with you more. I cannot think of anything as silly as driving an expensive or high perf. car to and from work. What a waste of resources.

My car of choice that provides me excellent reliable transportation and is fun to drive is the MiniCooper. For less than $20,000, you can have the time of your life driving it around congested streets and highways. It is safe, fuel efficient and holds it resale value better than any car other than my Ferrari. The best of all worlds.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Over the Hill said:

I couldn't agree with you more. I cannot think of anything as silly as driving an expensive or high perf. car to and from work. What a waste of resources.

My car of choice that provides me excellent reliable transportation and is fun to drive is the MiniCooper. For less than $20,000, you can have the time of your life driving it around congested streets and highways. It is safe, fuel efficient and holds it resale value better than any car other than my Ferrari. The best of all worlds.

I wish I could say that I have more time to spend driving a car that I love. On weekends, I'm usually taking the entire family to run errands. That means, I'm driving my wife's 4-door Acura. Not bad, but it aint a Porsche. Everytime I drive the Acura, I look at it like a missed opportunity to drive the Porsche. The only time I can enjoy the Porsche is the drive to and from work. That's not bad, because the at that time of the day, the 405 freeway is pretty clear and moving for my 12 mile commute. I can't think of a better way to relax before a hard day's work and to unwind afterwards than driving the 997S. And I can't think of a better place to park and leave my Porsche at all day than our company parking lot. I don't have a lot of time to drive my 997S after work because it's usually too late and I need to be home with my family. So, to each his own. The way I look at it, there are only so many opportunities to drive this car and for me, it's in the morning and evening, 5 days a week. I can see if I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, that driving this car would be a problem. But that is never the case for me, for my commute.

Agree with Alan 100%, the best two hrs of my day are to from work in the porsche, even in winter and slow traffic. Life's too short to drive a POS. I also tend to cart the family around in the SUV all weekend. That's why I never got the 'weekend porsche' (993tt, GT3/2, etc), just would seldom happen.
    Drive your TT everyday in all weather, who are you saving it for, the next dude? It's gonna depreciate like a brick either way!

Alan and C4S I see your point, and agree if that is your situation. However in WetTT's case he's looking for an adjunct to his Turbo. Now if one has to drive and impress clients, or drive to the country club, I would think you would want a fairly substantial automobile. If you were in my situation (retired) you could drive pretty much which ever vehicle you own as you choose. In my case I most often choose my "daily beater", saving the BMW for long unnessary, but fun summer drives through the twisties, and the Toyota Tacoma for winter trips to skiing destinations. As for what I'm I going to do with the Porsche, I frankly haven't a clue, but I'll cross that bridge when I get it.

ok - here's my requirement - although divorced, I still do the after school duty running kids to sports events etc. - then I do have some evenings whereby I've got to pick up out of town clients, then entertain etc., so although I would love to drive the TT daily, I cannot.Thus the need for a 4 door 'Bahn stormer' - and I also agree that life is too short to be driving a POS daily - I've driven POS's early in my life and it's time to spoil myself..
    The Audi dealer got back to me last night and they can get me an RS4 allocation, built to my specs - trade-in on the IS350 is abt $34-35k...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777137 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441670 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262772 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260940 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85200 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5565 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880636 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815908 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM