Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: PSE just installed - first impressions

Quote:
    John H said:
    Did you have the noises before you did the 'hack'? Just wondering if there's a connection there?

The rattle was always there, hack or no hack

Quote:
    John H said:
    Sorry to hear this Alex, what a bugger after waiting so long for PSE in the first place.

Parts are in already! Wish it was that fast the 1st time!! ...with all the screaming and shouting over the last few months I reckon there's now a surplus in the UK just in case of another global shortage

So I am all booked in for this Friday (again!). Fingers crossed that this time will be the end of my lonnnnnnng PSE retrofit saga!

I'm having pse installed 30th May. Did you keep the original exhaust.

I have no idea what happens to my original exhaust, I even had optional new chrome tips on there (after the recall)

Oh well, the sound of the PSE (especially hacked) tends to distract you at the time about asking. Soooooo good!!

Anyway, FINALLY resolved the 'extra' noise the PSE was generating. My OPC put on a new exhaust muffler but still the problem persisted. After several hours they decided to take the muffler apart and then adjusted the flaps inside. This seems to have fixed the problem!

...I do of course now have a new rattle from the passenger's side. I don't think it's the PSE related though so at least it's progress! So back to the OPC Monday, I'm starting to feel like it's my 2nd home!

John, PLEASE try the hack if you can - it really is so much better sound than stock PSE. My car sounds like the god of thunder's chariot now The absolute best is when you are driving with the roof down, and go through a tunnel. You just have to turn round and go back and forth a few more times. Very addictive!!

my parts are in too now - to be fitted week on Monday - in for 2 days though.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    John, PLEASE try the hack if you can - it really is so much better sound than stock PSE.

Alex - am doing the hack tomorrow with my OPC. Red911 hasn't replied re 'the feed to speedo' method so am going for the tube version. Will update everyone on the result.

Re: THE FINAL WORD ON THIS HACK DISCUSSION

OK wait... what then on thsi picture is the " electrical connector" is it the orance plastic witht he metal clamp on it?

Yes it is.

So John, hack yet? If so what do you think??

I'll tell you guys, i am throughly confused now on what is the best MOD for the PSE... tube or no tube, and which one, and what of the eslectrical, and does either make problems for engine or onboard computer???
    I have seen so many posts and pictures... what is the definite on this??

Adam, I don't think there is a definitive on this. My OPC told me exactly what to do (tube method - see my posts above) and some guys on this board suggest the electric plug disconnect is better.

Both I think accomplish the same thing so it's up to you which way you go.

I don't think my OPC would have directed me in the way they did though if they thought the onboard computer would register the hack! They are the ones that look at the computer diagnostics each time the car goes in. Plus my way is practically the same way as RC's original post, so take what you will from that...

To due the crazy amount that dealer charges for the install, I think I'm going to just install the vacuum tubes with a manual air valve switch. I told them that the TSB said only 3.5 hours, but they claimed that is only for warranty work. Anyway, I'm not very comfortable having the interior taken apart, also I don't want to activate the sport exhaust only when in the sports mode.

Actually, it's 3.3 hours but that is factored into the official Tequipment price list which your dealer should have, or I *believe* you can request a copy by calling your local OPC.

The price in that list is inclusive of labor and taxes, so your OPC won't be able to charge you more for it taking them longer to fit than it should!

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    So John, hack yet? If so what do you think??

No hack yet - had to postpone the visit to the OPC.

Will definitely try it soon though.

Mine is getting louder all the time as it burns in (or out).

Curiously I seem to be able to balance PSE on all the time with throttle control. IOW it seems to react to revs rather than speed but not when accelerating hard.

I'm still finding this an interesting feature, but will do the hack - maybe just for comparison.

One down side is it seems to have attracted the attention of the police more than stock exhaust! - I got my first speeding ticket for 20 years last Friday at midnight (VASCAR)

Quote:
    John H said:
    One down side is it seems to have attracted the attention of the police more than stock exhaust! - I got my first speeding ticket for 20 years last Friday at midnight (VASCAR)

Whenever I see the police, I have to baby the throttle and shift at a lower rpm than I would normally do. One time, a few months ago, I did just that and I still got pulled over. But I deserved it, I forgot to put the registration sticker for 2006 on my plate.

I've had PSE for three weeks now and did the mod today.

I chose the tube method and plugged one end with a bung and the other with a golf tee then taped the ends together.

The result of having PSE always on is startling - no more irritating cut-out. But actually the loudness over 50MPH seems quite a lot quieter.

I remember RC saying that it was quieter initially and then suddenly bursts into life. Anyone know how long this takes?

it ohly takes a few kwik bursts so keep tryin.

Well, I've now done over 300 miles since the mod and it still seems quieter, than before the mod, in 4th, 5th, and 6th gears?

Am thinking of changing back.

Perhaps John

To be honest I don't accelerate hard (where PSE sounds best) in 4th+ gear generally on public roads as that takes me over speed limits, and I like my license where it is.

If I do go on motorway (70mph) trips I tend to put my PSE back to normal anyway. PSE hack is only saved for back-road fun, where I do most of my driving

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Perhaps John

To be honest I don't accelerate hard (where PSE sounds best) in 4th+ gear generally on public roads as that takes me over speed limits, and I like my license where it is.

If I do go on motorway (70mph) trips I tend to put my PSE back to normal anyway. PSE hack is only saved for back-road fun, where I do most of my driving

Thanks Alex - maybe I'll do the same.

I just wondered whether, as RC said in the original thread, the sound gets louder after a few blasts? I remember him saying he was disappointed at first and then BINGO!

BTW - Did you get your muffler problems sorted?

They fixed my muffler vibrations last week, but over the weekend it came back again

Well i've done both of the tube mods and for some reason it does'nt sound quite as nice as the pse on. So leaving mine unmod for now. Also its a bit too much for me on a long run.

Just thought you might be interested in what other forums have to say...

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=280491

Quote:
    current47 said:

I read through that entire thread. It covers all aspects of the PSE hacks that have been discussed here on Rennteam over the past six months. It also touched upon a hack that I haven't seen referenced here on Rennteam yet.

That hack is to place a one-way vacuum valve inline with the vacuum hose. A poster provided this link to a $5 (USD) part:

One way vacuum valve

I am going to visit my local NAPA dealer tomorrow and see if they have that part in stock before ordering online.

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:
    Quote:
    current47 said:

I read through that entire thread. It covers all aspects of the PSE hacks that have been discussed here on Rennteam over the past six months. It also touched upon a hack that I haven't seen referenced here on Rennteam yet.

That hack is to place a one-way vacuum valve inline with the vacuum hose. A poster provided this link to a $5 (USD) part:

One way vacuum valve

I am going to visit my local NAPA dealer tomorrow and see if they have that part in stock before ordering online.

no need for a check valve. Just get a 25 cent vaccum cap, and cap the vacuum line end. Same effect as the check valve.

A golf tee in each end does the job!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803954 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448723 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266324 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90158 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6745 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886058 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834271 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM