Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Seems like American tuners are at same level as European one

...regarding 997TT
    This is like 11,2 to 200Kph, not bad.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1670093475416481040&hl=en

Re: Seems like American tuners are at same level as European one

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    ...regarding 997TT

No offense but 4 out of 5 big european tuners listed on another thread got 11.6-11.8 for the 0-200, I hardly call that the same level.

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    ...regarding 997TT

No offense but 4 out of 5 big european tuners listed on another thread got 11.6-11.8 for the 0-200, I hardly call that the same level.

Those 4 out of 5 European tuners also don't want the engine to blow up during a hard run on the Autobahn. The closest thing you get to the Autobahn in San Diego is taking it up in a C-130 and letting it freefall to the ground.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    ...regarding 997TT

Those 4 out of 5 European tuners also don't want the engine to blow up during a hard run on the Autobahn. The closest thing you get to the Autobahn in San Diego is taking it up in a C-130 and letting it freefall to the ground.

Funny, but it still doesn't explain why most of the results are not much better than those of a stock tiptronic.
    If 0-200 wasn't important, then why use it? and how can you make sure that european tuned cars are not going to blow also after several minutes of 300km/h? which test is indicative of high speed reliability?, please enlighten a San Diegan who rarely goes 300km/h. Thanks.

"The closest thing you get to the Autobahn in San Diego is taking it up in a C-130 and letting it freefall to the ground."

Crash, the California state required "drop" test is only for Ferrari owners in the San Diego area and begins on Jan 1, 2007.

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    ...regarding 997TT

There are already several tuning kits for the 997TT here in Europe, almost every tuner who work with Porsche cars has it, and at least two of them are runing times well under 11sec to 200kph. In U.S they are behind in this regard, not so many kit's available yet. This is not intend to be a "mine bigger than yours" type of discussion, it's just facts.
    EVO is showing in another forum how's their 997TT have been developed thrue out the time, you would never see a European tuner making what Todd is making on a forum, at least it shows his behind the product and not afraid of what might happened in the future with their kits.
    You got to be very courageous to do what he does on the internet, you can bring alot of new clients to the shop, but you also might loose all of them if one or more custumers start to complain about reliability issues, it can ruin his business in no time. Hope this doesn't happened, Todd seems to be a real Porsche lover and very helpful too.

J.Seven

Quote:
    aah986 said:

1. in Germany, we have very tough restrictions about what is street legal and what isn't, in the US you can basically do almost anything what you want to your car with the exception of a few states.

2. the review of the tuned cars has been done by a car magazine with top notch professional equipment.

3. drag strips usually use a very sticky pavement, so the slip is reduced as much as possible

4. different weather conditions

5. different bla bla bla

Bottom line is: unless a test is done AT THE SAME TIME under the SAME conditions, it is almost impossible to compare the results.

Regarding US car tuners regarding Porsche models: it is my experience from the past that they usually buy the experience and/or base software from german Tuners like for example former Lotec. It is also common that a german Tuner sends over one of their experts to assist the US Tuner with adaptation to US laws (german laws are very restrictive, it is possible to squeeze out a few horses for the US market, especially since high speed driving isn't a real issue in the US, also some kits need to be modded to lower US fuel quality in some regions).

So it is very difficult to speak of the "same level" in this matter because it depends on the company, it depends on the products, etc. Right now, most of the US stuff is in a way or another coming from Europe but of course it will change as soon as US Tuners get more experience with the 997 TT. Also, due to the fact that US Tuners have more liberties regarding laws, it is highly possible that we will see much more extreme mods in the US than in Germany for example.

Now a lot of people will probably ask themselves: so what is better? To be honest: I don't have a clue.
    If I'd live in the US, I would probably stick with well known Tuners which already have a good reputation and who may even offer a warranty for the tuning, in case the factory warranty doesn't pay for certain damages.
    In Europe, I would definetely go with a german Tuner only since this is the only way I can be sure that the engine doesn't blow when driving more than two minutes on the Autobahn at top speed. And I would stay with street legal stuff, not because I'm a law loving citizen but because of my own safety.

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    EVO is showing in another forum how's their 997TT have been developed thrue out the time, you would never see a European tuner making what Todd is making on a forum, at least it shows his behind the product and not afraid of what might happened in the future with their kits.
    You got to be very courageous to do what he does on the internet, you can bring alot of new clients to the shop, but you also might loose all of them if one or more custumers start to complain about reliability issues, it can ruin his business in no time. Hope this doesn't happened, Todd seems to be a real Porsche lover and very helpful too.

J.Seven

First, I don't know EVO or Todd too well, so please don't get me wrong. EVO may be a great Tuner and Todd may be a wonderful enthusiast, I can't say it because I simply don't know.
    Second, european Tuners don't get involved in internet "chatting", simply because they're small, occupied with work and to be honest, I can see Reinhold Schmirler (RS-Tuning) crawling under a Turbo but not posting on the internet.
    It is all about marketing and advertising, J. and I hope you're not THAT naive to believe that everything what you read about certain products on the internet is true.

You know how many inquiries we get for "product placement"? We get offers for almost everything, our payment would be of course a certain product at a reduced price. Can you imagine how much money I could make if I would accept these offers? Not to speak about free or almost free products.

Is it tempting from time to time? Definetely. Instead of paying almost 5000 Euro for my Cargraphic exhaust, I could have gotten one from a different company almost for free.

Bottom line is: we didn't create Rennteam.com to make money with it, this is what makes us different. Of course a couple of ads here or there wouldn't hurt anybody but we would loose our credibility. We decided that we may offer something different for money later on, like special trips, special track events, etc. but since we need to stay focused on what we're doing and independent, we decided not to accept advertisement which would compromise our ability to tell the truth about certain things, incl. products.

We decided that we may offer something different for money later on, like special trips, special track events, etc.

I like that Idea :

Re: Seems like American tuners are at same level as European

If I was in europe, I would definitely stick with european tuners and vice versa in the US. Support is the key. That being said, no matter how sticky the track the trap speed will usually be the same.

Quote:

First, I don't know EVO or Todd too well, so please don't get me wrong. EVO may be a great Tuner and Todd may be a wonderful enthusiast, I can't say it because I simply don't know.
    Second, european Tuners don't get involved in internet "chatting", simply because they're small, occupied with work and to be honest, I can see Reinhold Schmirler (RS-Tuning) crawling under a Turbo but not posting on the internet.
    It is all about marketing and advertising, J. and I hope you're not THAT naive to believe that everything what you read about certain products on the internet is true.

Thank God I'm not THAT naife, otherwise I would think that you are the "Porsche Guru" of the internet

Yes, there's alot of marketing and big strategy on these foruns in orther to get as many clients as possible, but I was not refering to marketing, I was refering to the risk you take by exposing yourself this way on the internet. One thing is simply advertising in a banner, another is to participate in foruns and giving your own opionion about your product. You may sell alot, but you may be in big trouble if something goes wrong, all comunity will read client or clients complains and your busines will go down the toilet.

There are German tuners making horrendus work in Porsche cars, I've seen it with my own eyes back in 2000. Gunther Mandle (great guy) one the most famous German ECU Guru and know to be the best to work on Porsche, made some cheap work on the passed too, and he already worked for many tuners like Sportec, TTP, Gemballa and many American tuners so, I'm not talk about the regular Jo down the road, I'm talking about those who regulary apppear with the most expensive kits in most famous German magazines like Sport Auto or AMS. Their cars are tested and get highest rates from those mags, that's why I don't believe anymore in most car magazines, they are sponsored by many tuners who pay big money to put their ads over there.
    If tuner B gives a 600Hp Porsche car to Sport Auto for a major test and the engine blows on the second day, I believe nobody will know that, Sport Auto wont publish this kind of stuff, it will hurt both business and nobody would win anything.
    It's all a matter of interest between parts, and I have to say that in this regard, Renntam is indeed unique, it has is own rules that can't be contaminated by this kind of interests

J.Seven

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:

1. in Germany, we have very tough restrictions about what is street legal and what isn't, in the US you can basically do almost anything what you want to your car with the exception of a few states.

2. the review of the tuned cars has been done by a car magazine with top notch professional equipment.

3. drag strips usually use a very sticky pavement, so the slip is reduced as much as possible

4. different weather conditions

5. different bla bla bla

Bottom line is: unless a test is done AT THE SAME TIME under the SAME conditions, it is almost impossible to compare the results.

Regarding US car tuners regarding Porsche models: it is my experience from the past that they usually buy the experience and/or base software from german Tuners like for example former Lotec. It is also common that a german Tuner sends over one of their experts to assist the US Tuner with adaptation to US laws (german laws are very restrictive, it is possible to squeeze out a few horses for the US market, especially since high speed driving isn't a real issue in the US, also some kits need to be modded to lower US fuel quality in some regions).

So it is very difficult to speak of the "same level" in this matter because it depends on the company, it depends on the products, etc. Right now, most of the US stuff is in a way or another coming from Europe but of course it will change as soon as US Tuners get more experience with the 997 TT. Also, due to the fact that US Tuners have more liberties regarding laws, it is highly possible that we will see much more extreme mods in the US than in Germany for example.

Now a lot of people will probably ask themselves: so what is better? To be honest: I don't have a clue.
    If I'd live in the US, I would probably stick with well known Tuners which already have a good reputation and who may even offer a warranty for the tuning, in case the factory warranty doesn't pay for certain damages.
    In Europe, I would definetely go with a german Tuner only since this is the only way I can be sure that the engine doesn't blow when driving more than two minutes on the Autobahn at top speed. And I would stay with street legal stuff, not because I'm a law loving citizen but because of my own safety.

RC, I understand your points but to say that US tuners buy their programs from germany is not correct, maybe the smaller tuners do, but not the major ones. My boxster was tuned by GIAC/EVO and the TT is programmed by Protomotive, both are US program writers and by the way my TT was programmed before any german/european package was released. So as you said each tuner is geared towards their respective country's rules and regulations and cannot be compared on all levels.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779504 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442299 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263142 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261426 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85661 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5826 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881127 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817736 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM