Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayenne Facelift?

Today I heard the rumor that Porsche plans a Cayenne facelift for the MY 2006.
    This facelift is rumored to include substantial changes to the front design (front lights, engine hood, front air inlets) and rear design (larger rear window, different rear lights).
    Other rumors also indicate a moderate power increase for the Cayenne S and Turbo and...hold your breath...a Cayenne V8 Diesel with aprox. 300 HP (apparently european customers strongly demand a Diesel).
    There is also a rumor that Porsche plans to offer an Entertainment System for the Cayenne including a DVD player and one central flip-down TFT screen in the middle of the roof or two TFT screens in the front head rests.
    More rumored future options: Satellite Radio (US only), MP3 Player as an add-on to the current PCM2, Targa roof, Turbo Powerkit and a more sporty setup for the Air Suspension.

As always: rumors have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Re: Cayenne Facelift?

In this weeks AUTO BILD MAGAZINE it is also said there will be a facelift for the beginning of 2005 including the 997 headlights.

I have seen some of these rumors as well. The video option seems a given since there is an A/V button on the PCM unit. I have heard that was coming for some time. I have also heard from a dealer that the satellite radio option is already on the preliminary 2005 order guide. It's rumored both XM and Sirrus will be offered.

Diesel? It keeps coming up doesn't it? Wiedeking said they might do one if the demand was great enough. So the door is now open. On the other side, Porsche seems to have a commitment to low emmissions and the Touareg Diesel just won the UN-Green, environmentally "meanest" award for it's contribution to air pollution.

Why a facelift if Cayenne is selling so WELL?!?!?

really i don't understand...MY2006 is like to say that in Geneva '05 we will see something..

Ciao
    Dario

Quote:
    Dario 996TT said:
    Why a facelift if Cayenne is selling so WELL?!?!?

really i don't understand...MY2006 is like to say that in Geneva '05 we will see something..

Ciao
    Dario

Successful? Yes. But with a more attractive look, the Cayenne could win additional customers and...current owners might exchange their current Cayenne too.

I read the 997 frontlight story too but I doubt that the Cayenne gets the slightly oval shaped lights of the 997.
    Of course it would save Porsche a huge amount of money (supplier cost) if they'd install the 997 frontlights on the Cayenne too. We have to wait and see...

I believe everyone would agree with me that probably Infiniti has the best looking SUV design in the market.

Yes Chris..but in a Year our Cayenne will be "old"

i'm not happy...

then you will buy the new one with the facelift so that you can make the economy turn on!

I think a facelift is right on a for Porsche to get a defined image of its products, adding the Boxster lights on to the 911 (1999-2001) was a total disgrace and now the Cayenne gets the "new" 911 lights despite these being so not Porsche like, so Porsche better get to work on this and get it right this time.

From Autobild: web page

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    I believe everyone would agree with me that probably Infiniti has the best looking SUV design in the market.

Personally, I don't care for the FX-35/45. They don't even look like SUV's to me. Although the design has been around awhile, I still like the Jeep Grand Cherokee . It is unpretentious and simple, not trying to hide what it is. The lower body tapers in slightly, clearly showing the higher ground clearance. Many of the crossover SUV's try to de-emphasize their ground to body height, if in fact there is any extra to hide .

hahahaha that looks so fugly... I doubt it will come out that way. good news for us Cayenne owners

Quote:
    RC said:
    MP3 Player as an add-on to the current PCM2

RC, do you have any more details about the MP3 player (how, when)?

Thanks

I think you guys have to stop sniffing Diesel fumes... Porsche WON'T change the look of the Cayenne for several years... much to your chagrin but not to mine...

Porsche is very set in their ways and for good reason... the shortest live look of a Porsche car was the 964 body which only lasted like 3 or 4 years... and mind you it was a technology horse for bringing C4 to market... and "widebody for everyone"... you know how much it costed them to replace it so soon with the 993? A TON... think, new stamps for the sheetmetal, new assembly machines for this and that... it costs a ton to do that...

Remember that in 94 in order to AFFORD to bring the Boxster to market to save the company... they needed to find a way to save 500 MILLION dollars in order to update the factory to make it possible...

Well the factory in Leipzig costed considerably more than that... and they won't be re-tooling so soon... you can sleep soundly on that

and also, Porsche has a knack for bringing a design to market that grows on the market very quickly... they never in their wildest dreams expected the Cayenne to be such a success... they won't change the body styling or lights or whatnot for 7-10 years... the boxster is 8 years old and isn't expecting a change for another year... the 996 is 7 years old... and is getting a facelift in a year... The Cayenne is 2 years old and you think they are gonna scrap it?...

You're nuts...

as for the doodads... they are coming...

Im waiting for them to announce the Powerkit for my Cayenne Turbo as an aftermarket upgrade... and I'll be a happier camper.

Quote:
    NuReality said:
    I think you guys have to stop sniffing Diesel fumes... Porsche WON'T change the look of the Cayenne for several years... much to your chagrin but not to mine...

... they needed to find a way to save 500 MILLION dollars in order to update the factory to make it possible...

Well the factory in Leipzig costed considerably more than that... and they won't be re-tooling so soon...

Porsche didn't invest in a big bunch of tooling for Leipzig, ... their suppliers did.

Leipzig is a big kit-car assembly plant where all of their vendors ship ready-to-assemble bits and pieces of the Cayenne and Carrera GT. Even the motors come from Zuffenhausen. The investment in Leipzig is mainly in the facilities.

If Porsche's body supplier invests in new stamping dies, all Porsche has to do is to pay the extra piece price required to amortize the costs that their supplier has born.

Quote:
    NuReality said:

Porsche is very set in their ways and for good reason... the shortest live look of a Porsche car was the 964 body which only lasted like 3 or 4 years... and mind you it was a technology horse for bringing C4 to market... and "widebody for everyone"... you know how much it costed them to replace it so soon with the 993? A TON... think, new stamps for the sheetmetal, new assembly machines for this and that... it costs a ton to do that...

Remember that in 94 in order to AFFORD to bring the Boxster to market to save the company... they needed to find a way to save 500 MILLION dollars in order to update the factory to make it possible...

Well the factory in Leipzig costed considerably more than that... and they won't be re-tooling so soon... you can sleep soundly on that

and also, Porsche has a knack for bringing a design to market that grows on the market very quickly... they never in their wildest dreams expected the Cayenne to be such a success... they won't change the body styling or lights or whatnot for 7-10 years... the boxster is 8 years old and isn't expecting a change for another year... the 996 is 7 years old... and is getting a facelift in a year... The Cayenne is 2 years old and you think they are gonna scrap it?...

You're nuts...

as for the doodads... they are coming...

Im waiting for them to announce the Powerkit for my Cayenne Turbo as an aftermarket upgrade... and I'll be a happier camper.

I Think RC is talking about a simple facelift (superficial aethetic changes such as front lights, nothing mayor, and maybe a few more HP squeezed out of the engine) just like Porsche did already with the 996 in the 2002 3.6L facelift for example, not a 997 evolution that you reffer to. So its more than probable in 2005-2006 since its about when they ussually do it to maintain sales till the end with the appeal of a few visual changes and a few more ponies. Also german SUV competition is going to beef up in the next years it seems.

Personally I wouldn't mind a bit more agressive or passionate looks on the Cayenne instead of plain netrality, especially the rear, after all, its the meanest best handling SUV out there (so far) and it should show a bit... now, that frog-eyed Cayenne is really comical, that would be a mayor screw up

I'm not a fan at all of diesel engines on sporty-cars or luxo-cruisers (which flood over 50% of the market here, yuk!), but on a car such as the Cayenne the advantages of diesel makes a lot of sense, especially for Europe. The good milage combined with cheaper diesel gas prices on such a heavy car along with similar performance (though not as sporty) with loads of torque make it very appealing here, and they are missing out on an important market without it, a diesel Cayenne would be a very rational choice here IMO. That said, a "diesel Porsche" is a kick to my stomach, but business is business

Quote:
    NuReality said:

We're talking about a facelift, not a completely new model. Relax.
    Next year the new ML comes out and Porsche expects heavy competition. Especially the rumored ML55 AMG gives them a lot of headache and if rumors are true, AMG even plans to install a 6.3 litres V8 or even V12 instead of the supercharged V8. Power? Minimum 480 HP. And the bigger "problem": the new ML is rumored to be around 300(!) kg lighter than the current Cayenne, making it a better performer even with less power. But don't expect less power from Mercedes.
    And last but not least (this is why Porsche wants to offer a Diesel): Mercedes is rumored to offer a bi-turbo V8 Diesel engine with around 350 HP in the new ML, making it a better performer than the Cayenne S.
    To make it short: Porsche faces heavy competition over the next few years and they want to make the Cayenne as attractive as possible.

Right now the latest information regarding the CT powerkit is: NOT retrofittable. But I know that Exclusive department and Weissach are working hard to make it happen but right now...no chance. It seems that the powerkit involves some interior engine mods and some mods to the gearbox too.
    But maybe we're lucky...I keep you guys updated. Maybe we find out more about the powerkit on our visit in Leipzig on the 31st march.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Porsche didn't invest in a big bunch of tooling for Leipzig, ... their suppliers did.

If Porsche's body supplier invests in new stamping dies, all Porsche has to do is to pay the extra piece price required to amortize the costs that their supplier has born.

Car manufacturers, including Porsche, might sometimes wish it was like that, Mike, but fact is that they do normally have to pay up front for all suppliers' client-specific or model-specific tooling or development investments.

Otherwise those suppliers would be free to sell the parts concerned as spares directly to the after-market.

This does not necessarily apply to generic parts like tires, for instance.

fritz

Quote:
    NuReality said:
    Porsche is very set in their ways and for good reason... the shortest live look of a Porsche car was the 964 body which only lasted like 3 or 4 years...

1989 through 1994, to be exact, which is five years. I'm traveling now, so don't have any reference with me, but the 911SC was the shortest: 79-82, wasn't it?

And I agree, the Cayenne body style will be with us a while, which is good, as I'm growing to like it.

Dain

911SC was 1978 to 1983, which is a 6 year run (at least here in the US). As for the 964, the C4 came out in 1989 and the model ran until 1994 in the US, which is 6 model years, not 5. The 993 was only 1995 to 1998 in the US (4 years), although it came out in late 1993 as a 1994 model in Europe.

My parents flew to Duisburg to take delivery of a used Touareg that we bought and spoke with someone there that told them that in a years time the cayenne will be facelifted. By facelift they meant that the front will change, ie. front lights and the air intakes because they have problems with dust and mud blocking them... As we have ordered 2 cayenne s, 1 for mid may and another for mid july delivery at Leipzig, my father has started having doubts and thinking that we might lose a fair amount if we want to sell them in a couple of years... Which would be your thought on this matter?

Today i visited Porsche Netherlands and spoke with the sales manager who said he really did not know there was an upcoming facelift,besides he could not believe it was coming after 1 1/2 years while cayenne sales are just going so well.He promised to find out what is the truth of all these rumours and will let me know next week.

I have read elsewhere, from a person who claims to have seen the 2005 order guide, that the new PCM system is DVD based.

actually 90 - 94... 89 was the last year of the typ911 911s... 89 most notably the last year of the height of the "special wish program" ... the year of the Speedster and the 3 guises of the Turbo (coupe, targe, and cab)

as for the 993 faced Cayenne... it is plain silly they can keep it

Quote:
    NuReality said:
    actually 90 - 94... 89 was the last year of the typ911 911s... 89 most notably the last year of the height of the "special wish program" ... the year of the Speedster and the 3 guises of the Turbo (coupe, targe, and cab)

1989 was also the year the 964 C4 was offered for sale in the U.S., as an '89 model. Then the C2 was added as a 1990 model.

Dain

RC, do you have any news update on this ? I am still keen on a C Diesel; also I want to be sure that I buy the newest version (997 front )and perhaps even the streched 6-7 seater version. I will exchange my ML 400 CDI between March and October 2005. What do think, thanks for your advise. Yours, the Bavarian in CH.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803643 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448662 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266252 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90136 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6685 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885958 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833723 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM