Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Break-In Advice

Hoping to take delivery tomorrow here in TN. If not a sale tomorrow, will be a "loaner" for 2 days.

Anyways, how serious is this break-in period. This will be my 4th high performance car (3rd 911) and I have never really followed it -- but this is my first car that cost $140K!!! I just can't imagine laying off some occassional acceleration to 5K RPM or so to stretch the legs.

Re: Break-In Advice

How can you not push it passe the limit few times? I did

Enjoy it. It's only a car.

Quote:
    mdwac said:
    Hoping to take delivery tomorrow here in TN. If not a sale tomorrow, will be a "loaner" for 2 days.

Anyways, how serious is this break-in period. This will be my 4th high performance car (3rd 911) and I have never really followed it -- but this is my first car that cost $140K!!! I just can't imagine laying off some occassional acceleration to 5K RPM or so to stretch the legs.

Keep it below 4000 rpm the first 100 mls, NO full throttle at any time. Then, take the engine up to 5000 rpm for the next 900 mls or so, avoid full throttle most of the time.
    After 1000 mls on the engine, you can slowly bring the engine up to more rpm and full throttle. DO NOT use full throttle for a longer period of time (more than 5 seconds or so) before you have at least 1500 mls on your car.

DO NOT use the SPORT button (Chrono Sport) for the first 100 mls (better: wait until you pass the 1000 mls) because it involves the overboost function if you fully press the throttle.

I know it is "tough" to drive such a car and not being able to "make the beast scream" but the above are the MINIMUM brake-in requirements. Since the VTG technology is pretty new to gasoline operated engines, please try to keep the engine at a lower stress level over the first 1500 mls.

I know that there is no real break-in required but if you want to have a problem-free car with a pretty good performance, you should respect the above criteria.

More good advice:
    1. check the oil level very often and keep a Mobil 1 bottle with you all the time in the trunk.
    2. use the best fuel quality available on a regular basis in your region.
    3. stay with factory recommended tire pressures, don't play around with them, they're NOT comfort settings but the MINIMUM settings required for safe driving under ANY driving conditions.
    4. do NOT track race your car before you have the mentioned 1500 mls on the engine, the break-in affects also brakes, suspension, drivetrain parts, etc.

And for those who can't wait to add aftermarket stuff to their 997 Turbo, another good advice: WAIT. At least 6-12 months, this not only includes engine tuning but also different rims, suspension mods, exhaust systems and even tires. Unless you want to play the guinea pig and/or ruin the car's (almost) perfect setup.

wow...thanks RC

Launch car delivery mileage

I noticed that the mileage on my car is 41. I think someone has been having fun launching my launch car. Dealer claims that that's how they received it.

Hope those are factory miles, but somehow I doubt it.

Re: Launch car delivery mileage

I believe that your dealer did these miles...
    all Porsche cars i have received have sumething in the suspension in order to be enough tall to get on the track AND they have something like a WIRE you can find outside the car which when you push it off the counter starts to write miles on it.

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    I noticed that the mileage on my car is 41. I think someone has been having fun launching my launch car. Dealer claims that that's how they received it.

I believe Porsche test every car on its track, before it leaves the factory. I wouldn't be surprised if the test drivers wanted to thest the Turbo for a bit longer .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

I believe Porsche test every car on its track, before it leaves the factory. I wouldn't be surprised if the test drivers wanted to thest the Turbo for a bit longer .

So how many laps 'round Weissach does this equate to?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

i dont think porsche tries every car on their track ,first because too many cars are produced each day , and second the 911's are produced in stuttgart where the is no track . their track is in weissach

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

i dont think porsche tries every car on their track ,first because too many cars are produced each day , and second the 911's are produced in stuttgart where the is no track . their track is in weissach

It was mentioned on these boards, that they do, so I don't know... Wouldn't make sense, though, if they had to drive them to another location. I was thinking of high-end cars, such as the 911, being tested.

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

Could be, not very likely. Usually up to 30-40 km are on the speedo when they deliver the car. 40 mls are definetely a bit too much but who knows...

Quote:
    Crash said:
    It was mentioned on these boards, that they do, so I don't know... Wouldn't make sense, though, if they had to drive them to another location. I was thinking of high-end cars, such as the 911, being tested.

After the car exits production, they drive it for a couple of miles on the street to check a few things. Shouldn't be more than 20-30 km though. Usually, it is even less.
    NO track testing for cars after exiting production, this is pure fantasy.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Could be, not very likely. Usually up to 30-40 km are on the speedo when they deliver the car. 40 mls are definetely a bit too much but who knows...

My Carrera GT had almost 50 miles on it when InterCity rolled it off the lift gate.

guess sometimes the temptation to drive one of these beauties is to much...a few years back a lawyer friend's f-40 somehow got an additional 70 miles at delivery from the 300 at the time of loading. i wonder if @ the $1,000.00 per mile the shipper settled for was worth it ?

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    My Carrera GT had almost 50 miles on it when InterCity rolled it off the lift gate.

Carrera GT is a different story, although...

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    guess sometimes the temptation to drive one of these beauties is to much...a few years back a lawyer friend's f-40 somehow got an additional 70 miles at delivery from the 300 at the time of loading. i wonder if @ the $1,000.00 per mile the shipper settled for was worth it ?

They DON'T do it. Short ride, same route all the time.

I received my car with 22.1 miles, pre-delivery inspection of course, and the others who knows. i think 40 is a bit much, but who knos.

During the factory tour, they tell you, that production cars usually have around 13-14 km on the clock. As RC stated all cars that are manufactured in Zuffenhausen are taken on a trip on public street. All time the same route.
    (Weisssach has nothing to do with production cars). Cayennes and CGTs come from Leipzig which has a real test rack.

However, the test drive is part of the final quality check. The driver goes through a long check list and Porsche is quite pedantic with their cars. It is not uncommon that during this check some minor details are commented. These car go back for resolving this issue; e.g. noises in the car, creaking etc are often taken for corrections.
    After attempts to resolve the issues (for which the car might again be driven around for tests), the cars might go back through a final inspection round. Here, cars can get another set of km for the round around Zuffenhausen. This can happen repeatedly until the car passed this final test.

i think CGT are tested on the track. ,no?

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    i think CGT are tested on the track. ,no?

Sure, as I wrote and many know from PDEs there, Porsche Leipzig has its own FIA certified track as well as the offroad section and these typical test environments for rattle etc.
    As CGTs were built in Leipzig, they got there share of test drive on the track.

This may help explain the mileage on the cars prior tpo delivery. It's an ad from the 993 campaign. Click onthe porsche test drive commercial.

http://p-car.com/mpeg/

car is here. 25miles.gas remaining 4.5miles

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803013 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448492 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266024 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90014 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6496 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885564 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832944 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM