Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

EVO scan: 997 Turbo

Can be found over at flat-6:
    http://www.flat-6.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20184

Read the Turbo Tech sidebar on page 8 for an explanation regarding auto vs manual 0-100 kph times.

Re: EVO scan: 997 Turbo

Thanks, interesting explanation. Wonder how good that is for the torque converter?

This means you should be able to achieve the same time with manual, just rev to max torque and let the clutch go, right? Not so good for the clutch, but anyway...

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Thanks, interesting explanation. Wonder how good that is for the torque converter?

This means you should be able to achieve the same time with manual, just rev to max torque and let the clutch go, right? Not so good for the clutch, but anyway...

According to the article this is not achieved by the manual. The clue seems to be that the PTM already presets the 4wd drive to prepare torque for the front wheels. This is not the torque converter of the auto gear box.

Porsche could have configured the PTM on a different way:

If the car is not driving, put the maximum allowed torque to the front axle. This way the manual would also benefit from the PTM. After starting the systems control the share of torque as it is doing for both gearboxes.

AM

Quote:
    mumbasic said:

If the car is not driving, put the maximum allowed torque to the front axle. This way the manual would also benefit from the PTM. After starting the systems control the share of torque as it is doing for both gearboxes.

AM

Yep, that sounds like a viable way for both gear boxes.

Anyway, I assume that the gearshifts of the tiptronics also attributes to the better 1-100 kph times. The tiptronic should be able to shift while staying in the suitable rev ranges during the shifts. That is, the VTG-turbos will not loose the pressure. That is not possible in the manual. At each shift in a manual you will loose pressure that will have to build up again. In the pre-VTG times this was not possible for the tip as the high torque rev band was much smaller and not as flat as it is now.

Quote:
    yah said:
    Quote:
    mumbasic said:

AM

Anyway, I assume that the gearshifts of the tiptronics also attributes to the better 1-100 kph times. The tiptronic should be able to shift while staying in the suitable rev ranges during the shifts. That is, the VTG-turbos will not loose the pressure. That is not possible in the manual. At each shift in a manual you will loose pressure that will have to build up again. In the pre-VTG times this was not possible for the tip as the high torque rev band was much smaller and not as flat as it is now.

I don't think you are right about acceleration. For both tiptronic and manual you will have only once the chance to use the overboost from 0-200 km/h. Also when shifting, you should stay above the overboost area. Your rpms don't fall behind 5000 rpm. When shifting manual you drive (in my 997 4S X51) to 7200 rpm press clutch, switch gear up and immediately throttle. The engine want fall behind 5000 rpm.

AM

Adnan,
    There is the reason why is LSD optional for manual only!
    I heard that PTM and PSM programming is different with optional LSD on manual... LSD is then part od so called "network" system. TIP may have advantage only in first two gears but, just in STRAIGHT LINE and if you preboost the car with holding its brake pedal with left foot while pressing gas pedal with right foot till around 5500rpm. Split second later quickly release brake pedal and you fly in 3.7s till 100km/h! But, only in straight line and ONLY if you do it the way I described above...

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    Quote:
    yah said:

I don't think you are right about acceleration. For both tiptronic and manual you will have only once the chance to use the overboost from 0-200 km/h. Also when shifting, you should stay above the overboost area. Your rpms don't fall behind 5000 rpm. When shifting manual you drive (in my 997 4S X51) to 7200 rpm press clutch, switch gear up and immediately throttle. The engine want fall behind 5000 rpm.

AM

I was not considering the 10sec overboost, just the lack of throttle power for an instant as you mention.

However, if I switch gears in my manual TT X50 even short before redline, I see a drop in boost. You can also feel that for a moment he needs to build up power again.

I have to admit that I am not an engine expert. What is actually necessary to mainain the pressure/boost? Revvs or hot exhaust air? Maybe someone can clarify this.
    But I guess you need the exhaust air from the chambers.
    Thus going off the throttle for a moment leads to a stall in the hot engine exhaust air, the engine is braking by its own momentum to lower revvs, the pressure drops. In the tip the engine and the turbos should stay under the boost during the shift.
    But maybe I am wrong.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Adnan,
    There is the reason why is LSD optional for manual only!
    I heard that PTM and PSM programming is different with optional LSD on manual... LSD is then part od so called "network" system. TIP may have advantage only in first two gears but, just in STRAIGHT LINE and if you preboost the car with holding its brake pedal with left foot while pressing gas pedal with right foot till around 5500rpm. Split second later quickly release brake pedal and you fly in 3.7s till 100km/h! But, only in straight line and ONLY if you do it the way I described above...

I'm not sure by my guess is the following:
    1. 0-100 km/h tip is faster due to networked PTM (a lot of power goes immediately to the front tires)
    2. 100-200 km/h could be the same or a very small benefit for the tip because it is switching a little bit faster
    3. 200-300 km/h the manual must be faster

I'm speaking of straight line performance.
    If you have LSD and twisty roads there you can't compare LSD with non-LSD!

AM

Turbo

All-weather, all-road excellence and safety.
    Faster in a straight line.

GT3
    More fun
    More involving
    Much better sound
    Lower ride height
    Faster on a track

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Turbo

GT3
    More fun
    More involving
    Much better sound
    Lower ride height
    Faster on a track

Concerning GT3:
    Cheaper

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Turbo

GT3
    Faster on a track

I'm wondering who will track GT3 faster than Turbo except prof and may be you!?

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:
    Turbo

GT3
    More fun
    More involving
    Much better sound
    Lower ride height
    Faster on a track

Concerning GT3:
    Cheaper

Concerning turbo - A little more comfort. Seats 4 & Convertible. Maybe "faster" on the street vs the track.

Rossi - What's your plans Porsche wise? Is there a turbo/GT2 in your future?

Thanks for the scan Temm.

Thanks temm .

Quote:
    iia said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:
    Turbo

GT3
    Faster on a track

I'm wondering who will track GT3 faster than Turbo except prof and may be you!?

Track times may not differ greatly with average enthusiast/track drivers, but the lower weight , 1.4 g of sideways stickiness and greater learning potential of the GT3 are appealing.

on my own view the only reason triptronic is faster than manual is just a marketing decision to face the lack of PDK and sell an auto tranny that performs better than a stick like competitors offer by means of detunning manuals or tricking goodies for the tript.over those; there's no tech reason for that.
    if i'm not wrong they are selling just a torque convertor and all new impoved technology could help to mitigate tript flaws and get better its run but not less for manual one what mantains it own design advantage.
    i'm talking about straight line performance, not to mention handling, feeling, involving driving, etc; though tript in real life could be more comfortable and faster when the stick is not been hit.

greets.

Actually the tiptronic is faster off the line because the way the various systems in the car are networked, not because the manuals are detuned. When you want to extract max acceleration from the tip, you power brake the car and the PTM system pre boosts the turbos to eliminate lag. The PTM system realizes that you are doing a standing start launch and sends 258 ft lbs of torque (I think that was the number quoted in Evo) to the front axle for ultimate traction and whole shot launch. The tip also alows for boost to be maintained during shifts so that lag is again reduced. These reasons and maybe some that I forgot to mention, are why the Tip enjoys an acceleration advantage from 0-200kph. After this speed, the power loss from the torque converter and the closer ratios of the 6 speed manual give the stick the advantage.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Concerning turbo - A little more comfort. Seats 4 & Convertible. Maybe "faster" on the street vs the track.

No STRADALE, I don't think so. First I'm very pleased with the Carrera S, second I think I'm not a typical Turbo-guy. For the price of a Turbo, I prefer the V8-Ferrari any time (which are roughly same price here in Germany) and in the 911-range the standard 911 (and the AWD version) still look best to me. I somehow don't like the fussy add-ons of the turbo, which ruin the classical, perfect design of the 997 to me, but the car is still a technical highlight, though.

Quote:
    No STRADALE, I don't think so. First I'm very pleased with the Carrera S, second I think I'm not a typical Turbo-guy. For the price of a Turbo, I prefer the V8-Ferrari any time (which are roughly same price here in Germany) and in the 911-range the standard 911 (and the AWD version) still look best to me. I somehow don't like the fussy add-ons of the turbo, which ruin the classical, perfect design of the 997 to me, but the car is still a technical highlight, though.

Rossi, you are a man of taste and style.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

very well sad rossi..i agree

Quote:
    trip said:
    Actually the tiptronic is faster off the line because the way the various systems in the car are networked, not because the manuals are detuned. When you want to extract max acceleration from the tip, you power brake the car and the PTM system pre boosts the turbos to eliminate lag. The PTM system realizes that you are doing a standing start launch and sends 258 ft lbs of torque (I think that was the number quoted in Evo) to the front axle for ultimate traction and whole shot launch. The tip also alows for boost to be maintained during shifts so that lag is again reduced. These reasons and maybe some that I forgot to mention, are why the Tip enjoys an acceleration advantage from 0-200kph. After this speed, the power loss from the torque converter and the closer ratios of the 6 speed manual give the stick the advantage.

In fact that is some sort what I was thinking of.
    Triptronic has an advantadge what manual doesn't; detuned? maybe, sales rules, at least it doesn't arrange triptronic's network goodies:

Quote:
    When you want to extract max acceleration from the tip, you power brake the car and the PTM system pre boosts the turbos to eliminate lag

well you actually can do this without any computer control, not just before kicking the throttle but if you want a hard launch, prepare it.

Quote:
    The PTM system realizes that you are doing a standing start launch and sends 258 ft lbs of torque (I think that was the number quoted in Evo) to the front axle for ultimate traction and whole shot launch.

One advandtage stick doesn't have to improve trpt. starts up over it; why? may be sales...who knows;
    I'm afraid it would not be difficult to do the same when you rev the engine over the max torque zone or near; on tips you are saying PTM your going to shoot with your brake pedal, why not with the throt' ?same thing ...

Quote:
    The tip also alows for boost to be maintained during shifts so that lag is again reduced

good for it !
    you also can make it at your own abilities, but you, not the computer; just don't release the pedal at all, leave a bit travel pushed when changing hard.

Quote:
    After this speed, the power loss from the torque converter and the closer ratios of the 6 speed manual give the stick the advantage.

agree.

you buy what you want, but they say you what you want
    nowadays triptronic is faster, why? do you really want?

greetings.

I think you may be misunderstanding my post. I would prefer the six speed aswell because it is faster 200kph and is available with lsd meaning its faster around tracks like the nurnburing, but the fact is the tip is faster off the line due to the way the sysems are networked. The PTM prepping the front axle is unique to the tiptronic. Read the evo scan, specifically the mini-article describing PTM for better descriptions.

Quote:
    trip said:
    I think you may be misunderstanding my post. I would prefer the six speed aswell because it is faster 200kph and is available with lsd meaning its faster around tracks like the nurnburing, but the fact is the tip is faster off the line due to the way the sysems are networked. The PTM prepping the front axle is unique to the tiptronic. Read the evo scan, specifically the mini-article describing PTM for better descriptions.

I didn't, just discussing technical questions of why one is faster than other and some marketing thoughts.Traditionally auto tranny has been below manuals, regarding performance, due its structural design parts and now seems that someone magically found the golden pot with the triptronic S release while the thing it's the well known old system .
    I also agree with you about LSD.
    Best regards
    greets

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 12:10 PM
    Enmanuel
    802812 1805
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448437 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265972 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89977 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885469 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832552 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM