Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PAG corporate communication (new Boxster engines)

Thanks to our nice Rennteam-fellow dreamcar we saw the first "black on white" confirmation regarding the new Boxster-engines (thanx a lot dreamcar ).
    What I really find just unbelievable is that a PAG foreign subsidiary (not alone a legally independent dealership) would make an official written announcement before PAG itself or PAG UK would make such an announcement (up to date I can't find such announcements from PAG headquarter or PAG UK). If such a thing would happen with the company I'm working for (manufacturing company with subsidiaries in 46 countries) the CEO would drop out and some people would be fired instantly....
    My (totally subjective) verdict on Porsche is: I love the product (that's what important to a customer in the frist place ), I'm impressed with PAG's financial performance (important to an investor ), I'm puzzled with PAG's marketing (see Cayman/Boxster marketing BS ) and I don't know what to say about PAG's corporate communication (close to disaster IMO ). Of course it's normal that PAG would hold back any information about an engine upgrade as long as possible in order to continue with selling the predecessor version, but IMO it's just unprofessional not to synchronise any official announcement on a world-wide scale.
    Having said that I'm happy that the rumors about a de-tuned 3.4 L engine (with 285 hp only) seem to be false (even knowing that my 3 months old 3.2 Boxster S will depreciate faster now ), because this would be really overkill of the marketing-BS IMO.
    And now - relax and enjoy your Boxster (whatever MY and whatever engine-version you have) - we're all driving a great car

Re: PAG corporate communication (new Boxster engines)

Well said! :-)

Very good comment!
    But, can you imagine my friend feelings... Yesterday he took delivery of brand new Boxster S(3.2L) and our [censored] dealer was still claming that there will not be 3.4L Boxster S! I would really like to see some kind of explanation from Porsche why is Cayman only coupe version which is more expensive then cabrio(Boxster) version?

Has it occured to anyone that the dealer communication could be an error and it is in fact only 285hp? I really can't see the sense in the Boxster S having the same power as the Cayman S and then charging them differently. Having said that, the two base models have identical engines and the Cayman cost 8% more here in Australia.

maybe cayman is gonna get a bump next year. it would be ridiculous if they bumped the hp up for 2007 and they knw it

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    But, can you imagine my friend feelings... Yesterday he took delivery of brand new Boxster S(3.2L) and our [censored] dealer was still claming that there will not be 3.4L Boxster S!

Having picked up my own 3.2 in Stuttgart just 2.5 months ago, I'm in the same boat as your friend.
    To be quite honest, when I heard about the engine upgrade rumors for the first time, I have been annoyed also.
    BUT: after some 5,700 km in my new ride I can tell you (unless your friend is a F1-driver and unless your friend is a traffic light racer addicted to straightline performance) this car handles incredible in twisty countryroads and the power is sufficient for this kind of driving experience. I'd say if your friend participates in a Porsche Driving Education he easily will keep up with any not so experienced 3.4 driver (including Cayman S )
    If you translate the 15 hp power advantage into power/weight ratio it accounts for an additional 25 kg in the 3.2 version. Still I can understand the psychological issue with buying a new car, which is "old" by the manufacturer's standard specs very soon...
    Would be interesting to hear bluelines experiences comparing the 997 S with the 987 S
    As for the price premium 987 coupé (Cayman) vs. 987 cab (Boxster) which is just the other way round for the 997 (cab asking for a premium): I have no explanation - I'm not a psychologist

@Way: I'd assume the UK dealer would get serious trouble if the info wouldn't be correct

@amir: I LOVE your new avatar

One hint for you-both my friend and I were at four PDE so far... Problem is not the 3.2L engine but, Porsche attitude as company! Boxster with same engine as Cayman from MY2007 is pure marketing BS, IMO. I sold my Boxster S(987) two months ago and I can say that it is excellent car!
    Other problem is dealers who are selling and telling funny stories to the costumers...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Problem is not the 3.2L engine but, Porsche attitude as company!
    Other problem is dealers who are selling and telling funny stories to the costumers...

O.K. - I understand and totally agree with you on this one OT: I thought you're in the market for a 997 TT
    Judging from the never ending posts in the 997 TT board there seem to be some marketing/communication probs also (manual vs tip ) -just on a higher level compared to us poor 987 guys - just kidding: every Porsche generates this special feeling and that's why we love those cars

Please realize that Porsche makes wonderful cars but is also a wonderfully arrogant company.

They have been this way from the beginning and through decades of management.

I could easily come up with a long list of items and events
    that easliy substantiate my claim, I but will spare RC's bandwidth.

Do not expect them to change anytime soon. Arrogance permeates their corporate DNA.

Now I know why my dealer is discounting Boxster's by 12-15%. It really is sad if someone paid MSRP in the past six months.Unfortunately this is not new to Porsche. They make the money and its customers suck wind.

I will be paying $61k (roughly 5% over invoice) on a $67k MSRP sticker for an ordered car that will theoretically be delivered to me at the end of this week. Can I hope that they "ran out of 3.2L engines" and stuck a 3.4L in there instead? OR, how much heavier is the 3.4L than the 3.2L?

I'm just trying to make myself feel better... It's my first Porsche and I'm starting to have a bad taste in my mouth already (and I haven't even taken delivery of the car yet!).

The communication that Dreamcar recieved is one that it send out from all Official Porsche Centres in the UK, although a page or two of it is tailored towards the specific dealer. Therefore, it must be prepared by the marketing department at Porsche Cars GB. I would say that people were not expected to receive the news letter until today, when the "official" announcement is due to be made, but the post arrived early. The same thing happened last year when Porsche buyers in the UK receieved all the details on the 997 C4/C4S on the Saturday before the official announcement (and everyone on here didn't believe it was real!)

Quote:
    M3Armand said:
    I will be paying $61k (roughly 5% over invoice) on a $67k MSRP sticker for an ordered car that will theoretically be delivered to me at the end of this week. Can I hope that they "ran out of 3.2L engines" and stuck a 3.4L in there instead? OR, how much heavier is the 3.4L than the 3.2L?

I'm just trying to make myself feel better... It's my first Porsche and I'm starting to have a bad taste in my mouth already (and I haven't even taken delivery of the car yet!).

If I were you I would take the delivery and enjoy the hell out of the car, just try to get more discount. Or you can cancel the order and wait till 3.4L come out.

With 3.4L engine you get the VarioCam Plus which gives you a better gas milage and a bit better throtle response.

M3Armand, the good news is that you have NOT taken delivery. I am in the same boat as a few others here including Schemeloong who just took delivery on March 21st 2006. I still wonder if my sales professional actually knew about this and was trying to sell all 3.2 engines... Anyway, I lost sleep over this because I was telling myself that "only if I had waited a mere 4 months..."

Now the positive side of your situation is that you can probably still renege (can you?) as you haven't taken anything. For those who had taken delivery, we either have to bite the bullet or just enjoy the heck out of my car. First of all, I never knew that this would come so soon as 987s was actually available around Nov 2004 but I had decided not to buy 2004 model (driving one month and taking a full year's worth of depreciation). Then in 2005 Jan which was the month I felt was considered the official first year of production, I had decided to by a 2006 Jan production to be more on the safe side. Little did I knew that everything didn't work out as planned and my so called 2nd year production of a perfect dream car turned out to be outdated right after 3 months of delivery.

Now I took my car out for a drive tonight and found that in HONG KONG, at most even with a tiptronic s, I was only using about 70-80% of the car. My average speed in the city would be 50 km and would never go past 110 km. I think the 3.4L engine would be irrelevant except on paper. Furthermore, what I am not so sure and clear about regarding the press release is the part on August 2006 Model year. Does this mean all cars August production November delivery or were cars already being fitted with 3.4 L for August delivery. I suspect that what it meant was all cars produced August 2006 onwards (meaning that it would be for November delivery). Then I said to myself I would be faced with the same problem if I had waited... 3.4 L newer engine Nov delivery taking another year's of depreciation for a month's worth or driving. Also, there is a price hike (most likely although no official announcements) so it would be a double whammy afterall I would have enjoyed almost a full year's worth of driving by Nov. Hence all in all, 3.2 couldn't be that bad. I got it at a cheaper price (in HK, there is no such thing as discount off MSRP... it's one price and one and only and we have only ONE DEALER). If I had waited for the 3.4 L engine, I would have to wait till 2007 March and the model would have been another year older and this cycle goes on and on. Just like my old man said, he never bought plasmas to begin with as he was waiting for the newer models to come out... in the end, he never bought a thing. Good news for my old men was that he ended up skipping the whole technology altogether and never owned a plasma in his life as he went directly from CRT TV to LCD TVs 40" which were far superior to Plasma. If we keep waiting, we can never get a thing. I was earlier posting whether or not I should wait for the PDK or double clutch system. I am very sure that this technology will be employed soon and all this re-mapped tiptronic S was another marketing ploy because very soon, they would roll out PDK. I would then have to say to myself I might as well skip the 987, 997 altogether to wait for the PDK deployed in 988 and 998 coming out in 2010. It just goes on and on.

Well, it's all up to you. Would you rather enjoy the 3.2 this week or wait for November delivery and taking another year's hit on depreciation? I don't plan on owning my 987s for more than 3-4 years anyway but I am also stuck by then because in another 3-4 years, I would be very much at the end of the whole 997, 987 and Cayman S life cycle (2010 by then) and I might hv to bite the bullet for another year and keep my fingers crossed for the 998 to roll out with a V8 4.0L.

If I were you, I would just drive it, enjoy the heck out of it and say to yourself "I had driven another 1/2 a model year ahead of everyone else..."

I just saw the official UK Porsche website. I can't believe those bastards actually did it (raise the hp to 295). This is such crap! Here I was sitting in denial, but this official website certainly proves it. Good luck in justifying the market. Porsche is forgetting that their clientele is very well educated and they are running the risk of insulting them. They are not catering to the same market as Chevy's (otherwise, I'd be in a Corvette right now). I bet that Porsche is still betting on selling "emotion" than logic in this case.

I was actually considering getting a 911 also, but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth - they may just "up" the hp of the Cayman to beat the 911!!! No one can now say that this isn't going to happen... Looks like I'm waiting for the new M3...

All I would say is that it is no surprise that Porsche upped the power - the 986 "S" had an upgrade every other model year, and the 987 is just coming up to 2 years from it's announcement. What I am surprised about is that they've given the Boxster the same power as the Cayman, for only a 2% increase in price, a real kick in the teeth to Cayman customers who have been led to believe that their car was more than just a Boxster coupe. Now it's identical apart from the fixed head bodywork, which is cheaper to produce, and I believe maybe a gearbox ratio or two different. It seems that Porsche, through overcharging the Cayman in the first place have dug themselves a hole that it won't be easy to climb out of. They had to up the Boxster's power to try and keep competitive with Mercedes SLK AMG and BMW's Z4M both of which are even now much more powerful, and now the poor old Cayman has nowhere to go, because it will never be allowed to be as quick as the basic 997. The only answer I can think of is to give the 997 a significant hike and perhaps drop the current 997 (non S) engine into the Cayman, which which would give the Cayman the performance it should have had, and its customers have been paying for, all along. If Porsche's timescale of upgrading the Boxster range every two years applies to the Cayman, then I suggest the next 12 months would not be a good time to buy one, at least not at the silly premium Porsche are currently asking.

Usually you can refuse acceptance of the car, if it hasn't arrived yet. I bet lots of dealers are going to have people trying to back out (at least ones in touch with what is going on), so if you are going to renege, then do it early! Call your dealer today and start testing the waters. But there will be another power hike in another few years. Is that going to bother you, too?

M3 Armand-

Just take delivery of the 3.2 and enjoy it. You can never keep up with the newest cars - you'll take your 3.4 295 but what then in a few years when a more powerful engine comes out?

Take delivery -- I promise you'll have a smile on your face.

I took delivery of a new S in April this year. Yeah, its only 280hp compared to the amazing 295hp of the the MY, but I think I can live with it. Here in the Northeast, its basically impossible to use the car to its maximum performance anyway. As everyone on this board knows, Boxsters are fun to drive and for a large proportion of the owners out there, its hard to imagine that the performance differential is so overwhelming that the 280hp model seems whoafully underpowered. If I was going to take delivery of an '06 mid-summer, I would probably wait for the '07, otherwise deal on price and buy the '06. Probably won't be your last Porsche anyway. Just my $.02

I would bet that Porsche will have the Boxster up to 320hp by '09. By then, the stock 911 will be close to the GT3 or thereabouts. They have to do something to make people trade up. The only way to avoid buyer angst is to buy the major updates. Of course, then you get trapped buying something that may not be totally 'debugged'. I think ajcastaneda has it right. The car is a blast to drive. I also had an '01 S that had 250hp and it wasn't too shabby either.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    All I would say is that it is no surprise that Porsche upped the power [...]

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Bit premature, aren't we? It's only rumour that it's going to happen at all [...]

I took delivery in March 2006 but still lost sleep over this issue last night. My cousin just put down his deposit (non-refundable) last friday and he felt worst. I am trying to come up with a way to comfort myself but I think I am going to keep my car for another 4 years or so before I trade up. Finally, to me now (in HK, over 96/97% of cars are tiptronic due to traffic conditions as well as resale conditions... it's not a market which people drive stick), I won't upgrade until something superior like DSG comes up. My tiptronic s, while enough power, feels not only sluggish but slow. I still can't believe that my S sprints only from 0-100 km in 6.3 s. Now imagine how the guy next door of me feels now as he just got himself a brand new 997 cabrio tiptronic. That car sprints to 100 km in 5.7 s and even a manual boxster would blow him away and he paid what? 1.5 mil HK and that's almost 200K USD. 200K USD to be blown away by a boxster 2.7... I do agree with ADAM though that the 987 would ultimately nudge the 325 hp (current 997) range to keep up with competition. However, I am going to talk to my dealer and see how Porsche HK would deal with this marketing issue now. The phones at Porsche Centre couldn't stop ringing as tons of people are trying to get a refund. In the interim, I can see that the immediate solution now for them would be to throw in the 19" or some options to appease the angry boxster buyers but I also wonder how they will treat the Cayman guys. Frankly speaking, it is only a matter of a few years before we see a completely updated gearbox. Hence, I have decided not to trade up until then.

If you are chasing HP, you will never be satisfied. For the majority of us 15 additional HP will not make a diffference. The Boxster S is such a great car. I have a number of friends who have restored 356s and they would never trade for a newer model with more HP.

Take delivery and enjoy....

Definitely agree and thanks. There is always going to be upgrade and updates and enjoy the present moment is key.

Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    All I would say is that it is no surprise that Porsche upped the power [...]

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Bit premature, aren't we? It's only rumour that it's going to happen at all [...]

...and at that time, you were, because you had ordered a car based only on rumour. I am pleased that you were right, of course

Quote:
    bobr said:
    If you are chasing HP, you will never be satisfied. For the majority of us 15 additional HP will not make a diffference. The Boxster S is such a great car. I have a number of friends who have restored 356s and they would never trade for a newer model with more HP.

Take delivery and enjoy....

Actually, it's not even a question of chasing HP... I have a supercharged M3 for that matter. But my car hasn't even been delivered yet and I "already" have an "outdated" car!@!@!!@@!? At least let me enjoy the damn thing for a month!@!! Delivery was supposed to be late May and it's now getting towards the latter part of June AND I STILL DON"T HAVE MY OUTDATED CAR!

I am getting confused.... The Cayman and the Boxster are now nearly the same cars but with a strange price difference
    Will the Cayman get 315 HP soon?
    The base 911 340 ?
    Will they do this every year?
    The Boxster is not even one year old and there is already an engine change. Don't tell me they could not do that from the start!!!!
    I am soon going to start thinking that P is taking his customers for a ride.... There is so much we can accept, but at one point their policy will backfire....

Gnil, I am sure many of us current 987s or pending 987s as well as current cayman s and pending cayman s (that includes my cousin) may feel that we had been had. Obviously, Porsche had this planned a long time ago for economies of scale but c'est la vie. There is always the next new car coming out but I guess it is my cousin who feels that he had been taken for a ride. Day 1 deciding to buy the Cayman and now waiting for it, he had done loads of research and had been telling me that the Cayman was built from ground up to be a different car, stiffer, vario cam, all the PAG's jargons. Now he slapped himself in the mouth (or PAG did) but I tried to tell him that it was the best decision at that moment any way. We just have to feel happy with what we have and make do with what we have and we will all be a happy Porsche family.

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    I am getting confused.... The Cayman and the Boxster are now nearly the same cars but with a strange price difference
    Will the Cayman get 315 HP soon?
    The base 911 340 ?
    Will they do this every year?
    The Boxster is not even one year old and there is already an engine change. Don't tell me they could not do that from the start!!!!
    I am soon going to start thinking that P is taking his customers for a ride.... There is so much we can accept, but at one point their policy will backfire....

The 987 Boxster is approaching the 2nd anniversary from its launch date. Historically, if you look at the previous Boxster, in its last years, and throughout the life of the S model, it received upgrades every 2nd year, so it should come as no surprise that, at approaching two years old, Porsche announces an upgrade.

Poor old Porsche can't win this argument. People whinge that the Boxster doesn't compete power-wise against the competition so they uprate it. Then people complain that it has been uprated. It should have had more power from the start, of course, but Porsche are paranoid that no model in the Boxster family (which includes Cayman) can be allowed to be as quick as the base 911.

Yes, you can perhaps rationalise Porsche's decision to up the power on the S early so that it competes better with the BMW's Z4 M cars.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802849 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448449 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265982 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89988 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6463 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885484 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832616 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM