Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Test Auto Motor Sport 997 Turbo

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    GT said:
    Now I don't think that this was "again" a competely inexperienced driver etc etc since they only drive porches in that magazine..

1. it makes a difference if somebody drives ONLY Porsche cars and doesn't drive home in a VW Golf.
    2. most car journalists seem to be "clever" enough to make claims about Tiptronic but they apparently "forget" that there is a manual mode too with Tip.

Oh well...what do I know...I'm just the guy who had similar discussions with 996 Turbo critics (it was about the 420 HP "only" and other 993 Turbo vs. 996 Turbo related issues) and some of the critics ended up paying up to 50000 USD (hi Steve! ) because they didn't listen (and didn't "pay attention" to our subtle hints).

For maximum possible performance in the hands of 95% of the drivers out there...Tip it is. It isn't my fault if most of the people choosing manual are considering themselves part of the remaining 5%. And a REALLY last word regarding manual vs. Tip: there is nothing wrong with manual, it is fun of course. But I bet that 90% of those choosing manual would have chosen PDK instead if available. And this is actually the point where I start to doubt the logic behind some of the decisions regarding manual. But like I said before: to each his own but don't say I didn't tell you. I hate to be right (almost) all the time.

RC, I listened. Yes, some of us listen to you!

Quote:
    AUM said:
    A question: In two weeks do you think Tip enthusiasts will join the real world and admit that Tip sucks?

Yes
    No

And what if it doesn't suck? My best friend drives a Murcielago. He is a track guy who drives very well. We have already agreed to take our cars to the track. Yes, my 997tt with Tip has him concerned!

Since more driver skill is required for a manual than for an auto, why would the alleged lack of skill of every single reviewer who did not like the Tip be an issue (when they could manage the more demanding manual without any problems)? Is it the little buttons that require a high degree of skill to push at the right time?

I sincerely hope the Tip does not suck.I hope the Tip works great for those who want that experience.But if I had ordered one, I would be very concerned by the 'fun killer / manual feels faster' reports from everyone who has driven the Tip.

Two weeks should put the issue to rest.

Aum: being the grammar scholar who corrected my error with a cut and paste definition on complement and compliment. You should know never to start a sentence with "but", it would be considered a fragment. I hope you find my critique helpful.

You should "teach" me more often, I'm willing to learn.

Quote:
    rhino said:
    Aum: being the grammar scholar who corrected my error with a cut and paste definition on complement and compliment. You should know never to start a sentence with "but", it would be considered a fragment. I hope you find my critique helpful.

Can we start a sentence with a conjunction?

"You must not start a sentence with a conjunction" has been the mantra of many an exasperated English teacher, especially since the oiks started getting state education. Any pupil brave, daft or naive enough to raise a hand and ask "Why?" would probably have received some Kafkaesque explanation along the lines of "Because it is said."

So now we're all grown up, we'll ask again - why? The honest answer is that there is no reason. It's just an arbitrary rule that's been passed through the ages. But all language is arbitrary, isn't it? Words and letters are but abstract concepts, the understanding of which can only come through the education of rules.

As usual with these issues, the argument is between the way English is used and the way it is "supposed to be". Sometimes a full stop is required to drive home a sentence or give a meaningful pause. And an afterthought like this one gets more impact when it's a sentence rather than a conjoined clause.

So when someone tells you not to start a sentence with a conjunction, say: "But I've already done it.":)

http://www.gpuss.co.uk/english_usage/start_sentence_conjunction.htm

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    GT said:

"2. most car journalists seem to be "clever" enough to make claims about Tiptronic but they apparently "forget" that there is a manual mode too with Tip. "

He did not forget.. I am afraid he tried the manual mode as well and he politely said that it was too slow (ie it sucked!) He then just said that for any conceivable advantage in straight line performance you have to use the automatic mode..

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Quote:
    rhino said:

"You must not start a sentence with a conjunction" has been the mantra of many an exasperated English teacher, especially since the oiks started getting state education. Any pupil brave, daft or naive enough to raise a hand and ask "Why?" would probably have received some Kafkaesque explanation along the lines of "Because it is said."

So now we're all grown up, we'll ask again - why? The honest answer is that there is no reason. It's just an arbitrary rule that's been passed through the ages. But all language is arbitrary, isn't it? Words and letters are but abstract concepts, the understanding of which can only come through the education of rules.

As usual with these issues, the argument is between the way English is used and the way it is "supposed to be". Sometimes a full stop is required to drive home a sentence or give a meaningful pause. And an afterthought like this one gets more impact when it's a sentence rather than a conjoined clause.

So when someone tells you not to start a sentence with a conjunction, say: "But I've already done it.":)

rhino,

I suggest you tuck your tail between your legs on this matter.
    /uploads/236268-a010.gif

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Since more driver skill is required for a manual than for an auto

Oh my! All the skill demonstrated by F1 drivers is lost in current F1 cars...

I drive a 6-speed and have driven manuals all my life, thank you... but my next P-car will be an auto/manual - tip or PDK.

Thats not really a fair comparison. Driving a tiptronic turbo is easier than the manual, but driving an F1 car is a whole different animal.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:
    Since more driver skill is required for a manual than for an auto

Oh my! All the skill demonstrated by F1 drivers is lost in current F1 cars...

I drive a 6-speed and have driven manuals all my life, thank you... but my next P-car will be an auto/manual - tip or PDK.

the F1 argument is invalid with tips (the reason f1 uses the electronic system is due to time saving via shifting. Nothing more, nothing less. The tip does not achieve this).

Furthermore, there are rumors that the sport aims to return to manuals around 2008. The reason? Viewers find the shifters too boring, too dross.

Remember the days when Senna was running through Monaco with a busted gearbox, unable to get into 3rd or 4th gear; having to go from 2nd to 5th? Now it seems like a scratch happens to any of these F1 technological wonders and the car shuts down...

The purists want more!!

Quote:
    Hurst said:

the F1 argument is invalid with tips (the reason f1 uses the electronic system is due to time saving via shifting. Nothing more, nothing less. The tip does not achieve this).

I challenge anyone to shift manually (with a six speed + clutch) faster than a tip shifts. You may think you are faster, but you are not.

Quote:
    Remember the days when Senna was running through Monaco with a busted gearbox, unable to get into 3rd or 4th gear; having to go from 2nd to 5th? Now it seems like a scratch happens to any of these F1 technological wonders and the car shuts down...

I'm known to shift a 4-speed box without a clutch (failure of clutch cable) I'm very comfortable to state that time for advanced auto trannys (like the new tip-S) is long overdue. Let's concentrate on driving and still shifting (but electromechanically) far faster than any human can.

An automatic car wash will wash your car faster than one can wash it by hand. Which would you find more gratifying?

I recently read an article in which they timed the shift speeds of a f430 (not sure) both manual and f1. The fastest times for the F1 were about a tenth of a second slower than those done with the manual. I think it was in Automobile Magazine, I'll have to look it up. I would be surprised if the new tip shifts as fast as the Ferrari F1 transmision, making it slower than a standard 6 speed.

Quote:
    rhino said:

But why?

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:
    Quote:
    rhino said:

rhino,

I suggest you tuck your tail between your legs on this matter.

What is the reason to start a sentence with but? This is how AUM's sentence reads " But if I had ordered one, I would..." He should have started the sentence with If not but. Now SVtrader if you think I should tuck my tail, you should look up yours and make sure no one stuck something in there telling you it doesn't matter now that we are all "grown up"

Wow that was a weird post

"all language is arbitrary, isn't it? Words and letters are but abstract concepts, the understanding of which can only come through the education of rules"

More weird is correcting someones language in a world wide car forum.

Since most English words are just spliced and modified smaller words, it's little wonder that people have urges to continue the tradition. Sometimes it leads to applications that are plainly wrong.

This thread has become ridiculous and boring, lets get back on topic or close the thread.

Quote:
    rhino said:
    More weird is correcting someones language in a world wide car forum.

You are spot on...it's disrespectful..period.

I like manual. I'm steeped in tradition. To me sports cars were made to shift even if I'm .2 sec late getting to sixty. I am however sure TIP guys will be very happy with their choice. Life is about choices.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 3:43 AM
    rhino
    802643 1804
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448382 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265921 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89923 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6395 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885335 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832142 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM