Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Opus 911: A turbo introduction

A couple of months ago, I came across a post on here mentioning a special event hosted by the Porsche Travel Club here in St. Wolfgang, Austria. I immediately signed up along with my dad.

It took us several lengthly layover stops to get to Salzburg a day early. We settled in a hotel in downtown and went exploring for the day. The fun wouldn't start until the following day. We were picked up by a nice fellow in a Cayenne S and whisked off to St. Wolfgang where we stayed for one night. It was pouring rain and windy overnight but things cleared up a bit by morning. We had awesome driving conditions throughout the day until close to the end when it started raining again. I took a ton of pictures and videos but only have a chance to upload a few pictures.

One nice surprise that I found outside was 8 Turbos in the parking lot. 3 red, 2 basalt black, 1 lapis blue and 3 GT silver. I was told that they brought 20 Turbos here for the event!

Lots of Turbos!

GT Silver

Me driving the Lapis blue w/ natural brown Tiptronic

These were beautiful brakes! They worked really well too!

I posted a few pictures on my website:

http://jasontang.virtuality.org/opus911

A few observations about the differences between Tip vs 6 speed. I definitely liked driving the car with the 6 speed manual much more than the tiptronic. For some reason, the 6 speed felt faster to me even though the specs say that the Tip is faster. I always felt like I could keep the car in the powerband easier with the manual than the Tip. There was always a "lag" between the time I pressed the gas and the time that the car would actually move. This happened especially when I was pulling out of a tight turn. Sometimes the car would hold a gear although not by much. Overall, I enjoyed the 6 speed manual a lot more than the Tip.

Also, after seeing GT silver in person, I decided to order mine in Cobalt Blue instead!

I'll definitely write more later on. I'm exhausted from the day's event and there's still one more day to go!

Jason

Re: Opus 911: A turbo introduction

way to go buddy, your contribution is much appreciated

Interesting report atomic , must of been great , thanks...

throt....

About GT Silver

on a cloudy, rainy day it is dull and grey. In the sunlight, it really "pops" and is quite alive. But the cobalt blue is awesome all the time. Sounds like you had a great time and thanks for the pictures and input.

Great report! Thanks.
    Agree with you - Cobalt Blue is the colour

Was the tip you drove with SC? If yes, did you try one without SC?

Great pics. I count eight! TUR-BO, TUR-BO, TUR-BO, TUR-BO!

Tres cool Atomic - thanks for your pics and comments.

Very nice thanks for sharing.

I've seen GT silver before in the sunlight on an older 996TTS and a Carrrera GT. For some reason, it never really struck my fancy. I originally wanted Seal Grey but then when they discontinued that color I changed to GT silver but then I kept seeing Cobalt blue everywhere, the dealership, online, in magazines, posters, etc. I was definitely convinced that I had to get Cobalt blue over natural grey and so I made the big switch yesterday!

I'm REALLY happy that I had the opportunity to test drive the 997TT yesterday (and today in a bit too) because I was finally convinced that I wanted to get the sport steering wheel with the thicker spokes. I wasn't entirely sold on the "circular" look vs the "V" type with the skinnier spokes. However, after having driven both especially in the twisties, there was no question that the thicker spoke plus the circular look of the sport steering wheel was the perfect choice for me.

A bit trivial but I also noticed that the standard sun visor looked and felt "cheap" when not covered by leather with either the standard Alcantara or leather headliner. The leather sun visors made a noticable difference too.

Comparing the 993TT, 996TT and now the 997TT, there is definitely a noticable difference between all three. If I had to sum things up in a couple of sentences, I'd probably start by saying that in person, the 997TT combines the best of both the 993TT and the 996TT into one single cohesive look (except for those wheels though but they actually look pretty good in person). The 997TT truly is a stunning piece of machinery to look at, drive in, and follow in. After having driven all three, I find myself wanting the 997TT badly. It's really amazing what those engineers at Porsche has managed to do with the 997TT. The power just delivers in an endless stream of nothing but power! The 993TT felt like a slingshot especially when the boost came rushing on. The 996TT felt a bit more like a combination of a slingshot and a cannon. The 997TT felt more like a cannon than a slingshot especially when kept in the "powerband" which I found to be easier to do because of the wider powerband range.

One thing I'm still not sure about is when exactly does the Sport Chrono give me 1.2 bars of turbo boost. I know that it comes in 10 second stretches but how often does that happen? Does it happen every 10 minutes after I've used it once, does it need to be reset, etc. I haven't figured that one out yet. All I can say is, better prepare yourself for a heckuva wallop when the power does come on! I found myself grinning from ear to ear every time I poured it on which happened pretty often. And oh, the handling! Simply sublime! I was amazed how connected I felt to the road no matter the road conditions, the weather, it simply didn't matter, I could just GO, really fast!

I plan to take a couple more pictures today. Hopefully I'll be able to post them when I get back to the states and of course the videos too! Gotta have those!

Lucky guy! thanx for the report. Looks like all the owners will be thrilled with their 997 turbo, wether it be manual or tip.

yet another man who favors the manual

thanks for the contribution

Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks for your review, Jason. It really makes me want to get a 997TT now, especially with the manual transmission. If only I could move up the damn waiting list.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    One thing I'm still not sure about is when exactly does the Sport Chrono give me 1.2 bars of turbo boost. I know that it comes in 10 second stretches but how often does that happen? Does it happen every 10 minutes after I've used it once, does it need to be reset, etc. I haven't figured that one out yet.

From the Product Information Porsche 911 Turbo ...

With regard to these processes and the
    maximum possible stress on the components,
    the Overboost function is limited
    to 10 seconds. After this period, the
    original full-load pressure without Overboost
    is set. As soon as the stress on
    the engine is relieved briefly as a result
    of closure of the throttle valve (e.g. after
    gear-shifting), the Overboost function
    can be activated again.

Overboost mode is indicated by an
    arrow symbol in the digital boost pressure
    gauge on the instrument dials. The
    arrow next to the boost pressure gauge
    indicates the brief Overboost, which is
    only possible when the Sport function is
    active (the word "SPORT" is to be seen
    on the display).

wow... must have been (and still be) awesome... you go now and have fun!
    Thanks a lot for the pics
    -Joost-

Thanks for the post atomic80, you mentioned taking videos while you were there, could you possibly post those when you get a chance. Thanks again.

Atomic80, excellent report!
    Another one of us here decided that manual is way to go...

Jason congrats....you might be the first reanteamer to actually drive one...?

I'm really surprised that I'd be the first Rennteamer to drive one! I would've thought that somebody here before me would've done it!

The second day was as thrilling as the first mostly because of the roads and wet weather conditions. The first day was mostly adrenline inducing because it was such a new experience for me. The second day, I stuck with the same car with the 6 speed manual, PCCB, Sport Chrono, CF trim, Basalt black, etc. I could have switched to a different car but I liked the 6 spd manual so much! Some folks who had a Tip with the Sport Chrono kept raving about how fast the car was especially when the overboost hit! I didn't care, I loved the viscereal feel of being able to manually shift the car especially when the roads got tighter and tighter. I had a few close call instances! Many of the country roads that we took were so narrow that we'd have "pucker" moments whenever a car/truck/van/etc would come by in the opposite direction while we were going at high speeds! This was in the wet and the AWD 997TT system definitely shines here. The car was very surefooted at all times. We also had the opportunity to drive on some tight hairpin corners. I'd downshift to 2nd gear just before turning, BRAKE, BRAKE, and then pour on the power as I went through the corner inducing massive 4 wheel grinning drifts all the way up and over! I had FUN with this car! Whoo hoo! I really can't wait until I pick up mine! I never had this much fun with my old M5! I'm also amazed at the precision of the steering feel/action. I always felt like I knew exactly what was going on when turning. There isn't much of a kickback but I could feel the roads throughout the day. Amazing car is all I can say!

I didn't take nearly as many pictures nor videos on the 2nd day as the first but believe me, none of you folks will be disappointed once I manage to edit/post these.

I also had the opportunity to go to a Porsche "Exslusiv" party last night where they brought in a 997TT in Guards Red into the room. The hallways were SERIOUSLY narrow barely wide enough for the car! I took a bunch of pictures of the CEO carefully backing the car out. He commented to me afterwards that if this car had been a manual, it would've been impossible to get it out! Now that was scary!

Now I'm heading to the airport folks! What a fun trip this was. I really wanted to take one of these amazing cars back home with me!

I am very jealous atomic80, can't wait to see those new pics/videos. Thanks a million!

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    We also had the opportunity to drive on some tight hairpin corners. I'd downshift to 2nd gear just before turning, BRAKE, BRAKE, and then pour on the power as I went through the corner inducing massive 4 wheel grinning drifts all the way up and over! I had FUN with this car! Whoo hoo!

Uauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

You are having too much fun!

It is good to know that the CEO does his own valet parking!

"I took a bunch of pictures of the CEO carefully backing the car out. He commented to me afterwards that if this car had been a manual, it would've been impossible to get it out! Now that was scary! ......... Priceless!

Congrats on your experiences and please post what you have
    as soon as you can.

nice reports, thanks

Sound like you had a lot of fun! And that this car is a real beast!

Jason, thank you for making me have a huge, dumb grin

whether one chooses tip or manual, the issue of "boring perfection" or "lack of passion" is moot.

Re: Jason, thank you for making me have a huge, dumb grin

I had a chance to edit some of the pictures. These were taken with my Nikon D2x. Pictures posted earlier were taken with my small Sony digicam so the quality was not as good.

The wheels weren't as appealing in the pictures at first but once I saw them in person, they really fit the character of the new Turbo. However, I still plan to get aftermarket wheels. I'm just not sure which ones yet. I think that since I'm spending $23k on options alone, I'll probably try to stay "stock" for a bit. Famous last words, I know. :hihi:

Anyways, enjoy!

Guards red looks stunning!

Lapis blue with natural brown leather

Taking a well deserved break.

If I weren't so concerned about the cops in the area coming after me, I'd get this!

GT Silver, my original choice.

Rear quarter view of Lapis Blue. The wheels don't look so bad now do they?

GT Silver with the stock brakes. PCCB brakes really DO make a difference!

Guards Red with PCCB brakes

Stunning scenery could be seen everywhere!

Is this almost my car?

Perfect combination, model, GT Silver, PCCB brakes! Ahhh! :7:

One of the many towns we drove through

Basalt Black looks really good.

GT Silver or not, I'll take TWO of them!

Natural Brown interior. A bit too "bright" for me. I went with Natural Grey.

Front quarter view of Basalt Black looking good!

Turbo, Turbo Turbo!

Variable Turbine Geometry!

Not as impressive looking as the BMW M5 E39 S62 powerplant.

Tiny trunk space! Most of the space were taken up by the AWD system.

Even the interior door handle is stylish.

The beauty and the beasts!

Ready to go?

Of course more can be seen in my album here: http://jasontang.virtuality.org/opus911_day1

Guards red, awsome!

Thanks for the pics, Jason. And based on the great shots, I have now narrowed my exterior color choice to GT Silver or Artic Silver with PCCB!

Thanks Jason for the cool pics. What an opportunity that must have been. I hope for your sake your not too far down on the list. Guards Red is too cool.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803095 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448519 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266044 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90027 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6513 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885601 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833110 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM