Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 Turbo drive impression in EVO

A great description of the car and how it drove can be found in Nick Mason's (Pink Floyd) book "At the Limit" since this is one of the many cars that he owns and tested/wrote about in his book when he rented a race track with a pro driver and ran through his collection at the limit for a day.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    trip said:
    RC nothing personal but these "hint hint" things are really bugging me. Why would you refrain from telling us something when the car has already been released to the mags? As far as the Tip being sportier than Manual, according to all who have driven it its not and thats enough for me.

I try to explain it, so everybody understands: our site is based on information offered to us by very nice and friendly people who may not always have the approval to do that. This also includes certain "actions" which may not always happen with approval from "higher up".
    If you still don't understand, I suggest you check out the interview we provided for french car magazine Flat6.

Rennteam is not "supported" in any way by Porsche.
    Everything we do is just "tolerated" right now and the fact that we may get a hint here or an invitation there, doesn't mean much. This mostly happens because we are customers too, not necessarily because of our involvement with Porsche. Yes, our "power" of influence has grown in the past and with almost 9000 registered members and almost 10 Mio. hits per month, Porsche can't and doesn't ignore us. But if you think that they officially support us in ANY way, you're very very wrong. They don't and on the contrary, I had the pleasure to meet some people over there who would love to see us closed down. But of course Porsche has profited from us too, they read our forums and some of the suggestions have been already used for their products.
    Of course they do the same with other (important) internet forums.

I'm not a Porsche employee and none of the moderators or other editors is. Understand now?!
    We're not here to unveil secrets but to help people to make the right decisions based on personal experience and rumors we get. And since we don't have any commercial background or sponsors, we can be trusted. No hidden agenda, just fun. But I have to admit that the fun part isn't always easy...speaking of people questioning my credibility. This hurts, honestly. And it doesn't surprise me at all that these aren't longtime users but people who are here for a couple of months only. But still...sad.

Anyway...I go to bed now.

This may not be any sort of consolation but, I think you seem to be very credible and that's why I have kept my mouth shut for this discussion and I'm waiting patiently for your review have a good rest

And speaking of "red herrings" and other journalist "peeks from behind the flower pot"...intentional or not so..

At least, in the online media, there has not been a single
    "review" or test of a 997TT with Sport Chrono ON and PASM set to Sport. Only veiled inferences, not specific and with no detail. Why? You would think they would demonstrate some critical thinking and analysis. Gimme a link if there is
    such a test.

And the differences in lap times quoted for a 8 mile course
    between the 997TT manual and the tip is within the margin of error for a skilled driver, and that is with the manual car having the advantage of a LSD. The differences are also substantially way below the gap between the previous 996TT tip versus manual tests.

On a short, highly technical course or autocross or a
    very twisty hill climb, the Tip might even do better than the manual even without benefit of a LSD. Since the torque converter is pre loaded, there is no chance of losing any momentum when shifting, it shifts faster than a manual can
    and its likely a consistently cleaner faster launch off the starting line. The factory already claims a marginally better 0 to 200kph time, so Why is exploiting ALL of that "not involving enough."

I could understand NOT wanting a 997TT like tiptronic or a PDK in a Morgan, but the TT is already smothered with so many ABC helpers and nannies that no clutch pedal hardly seems like a loss of tradition or any loss of fun when you get better performance in return.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    And speaking of "red herrings" and other journalist "peeks from behind the flower pot"...intentional or not so..

At least, in the online media, there has not been a single
    "review" or test of a 997TT with Sport Chrono ON and PASM set to Sport. Only veiled inferences, not specific and with no detail. Why? You would think they would demonstrate some critical thinking and analysis. Gimme a link if there is
    such a test.

And the differences in lap times quoted for a 8 mile course
    between the 997TT manual and the tip is within the margin of error for a skilled driver, and that is with the manual car having the advantage of a LSD. The differences are also substantially way below the gap between the previous 996TT tip versus manual tests.

On a short, highly technical course or autocross or a
    very twisty hill climb, the Tip might even do better than the manual even without benefit of a LSD. Since the torque converter is pre loaded, there is no chance of losing any momentum when shifting, it shifts faster than a manual can
    and its likely a consistently cleaner faster launch off the starting line. The factory already claims a marginally better 0 to 200kph time, so Why is exploiting ALL of that "not involving enough."

I could understand NOT wanting a 997TT like tiptronic or a PDK in a Morgan, but the TT is already smothered with so many ABC helpers and nannies that no clutch pedal hardly seems like a loss of tradition or any loss of fun.

You obviously don't enjoy driving a manual transmision car so the tip is the right choice for you. As far as saying there has been no tests of the tiptronic with the car in sport and the sc on, thats not true. Heres a link to one review in which he definitely uses sport chrono yet says, " It's a good box, which now has software to hold on to each gear when you are in attack mode on a twisting road. But the shifts when in manual mode are still a touch slow, and demanding drivers should stick to the six-speed manual." Here's another, ..not so impressive! I will try to put short summery in English later. Any way link is here:
    http://www.autobild.de/aktuell/reportagen/artikel.php?artikel_id=11282&artikel_seite=0. This one is in german so I couldn't read it, but those who could read had this to say about it, Alan(NJ) said:
    "seems like they don't like the tip transmission, the engine sound (or lack of it) and the multitude of buttons on the dash

Well, the exhaust sound can be fixed (after the companies learn to make one for the VTG turbos), but I'm not surprised about the Tip. This seems like a big mistake for an enthusiast driver. I think this is only suitable for drag racers or commuters in crowded cities (but why use a TT as a commuter?)."

As far as saying the difference on the Ring are due to driver error, that is wishful thinking. If anything the errors would be made in the manual. Also, to get these numbers they must have done many many laps and taken the best results of each. This would do away with any chance of driver error. You can assume that the tip will be faster around a tight track, but that is where lsd is most important because it creates better traction while exiting tight corners. Until you get some proof I would stop posting these assumptions because it does nothing to help your argument. Again we see that the tip is only superior in acceleration below 200kph. Exploiting ALL that does not make for more involvment.

Trip, I read the article, and it makes no mention of Sport Chrono in the car they drove.

.....Or any mention of Sport Chrono set to ON in conjunction with PASM set to Sport - That alters the transmission shifting speeds dramatically.

So much for your Auto Bilde! That was a fluff piece on the 997TT.

As for what transmission I like, I prefer the old dogleg pattern 5 spd pattern manuals. There more fun to row.

But when spending 130K , I want every last stinking performance advantage I can get.

You know that the car had sc because he mentioned the feeling when the 501 lbs of torque hit. What more proof do you need? Your not going to find a review containing the sentence "this car had sc and tip and I used the sc and it did this to the driving eperience" Its your choice as to what car you buy so enjoy it, but STOP trying to convince the manual drivers that tip is more fun because their is not a single article, review, or driver who supports your claims. In fact, they all say the exact opposite.

So far there is not yet a article tht says yes, we turned Sport Chrono to ON AND Selected Sport for the PASM.

Knock Knock! Its the combination of those that changes the cars dynamics.

I dont care if you are a manual driver, a auto driver or a ...parakeet driver! For this money why not get the most performance for the money.

At this price point it is not too much to ask for PRECISE specifics from auto journalists

From Bilde, Anecdotally we know that the press likes playing with the manuals and that the other buttons confused them! Genius lurks there I am sure!

While we know from RC that Porsche employees voting with their own wallets are overwhelmingly selecting the Tip for their own TT's.

You think that the development team managers and various department leaders inside Porsche would choose a uninvolving
    Porsche model for their own personal use?

Yeah I'm sure the testers couldn't figure out how to push the buttons and porsche didn't give them instructions on how to do so. You're beginning to sound ridiculous and I'm very tired of arguing with you.

Read the article again...

"Die Vielzahl von Schaltern und Knöpfen wirkt verwirrend"

In English ...

"The multiplicity of switches and buttons works confusing"

Their own words, not mine.

Quote:
    trip said:
    Yeah I'm sure the testers couldn't figure out how to push the buttons and porsche didn't give them instructions on how to do so. You're beginning to sound ridiculous and I'm very tired of arguing with you.

My reasons

I personally prefer to follow the cars most Porsche employees themselves buy and drive (and also recommended by some of the best drivers in the world) than the journalists who only get to trash their test cars for a few hours.

But then, what do I know, I'm buying the 997TT to replace my E55k AMG.

Re: My reasons

This kinda funny because I'm getting rid of my CLS55 K2 amg to start having fun rowing some gears again in this new turbo

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    CF said:
    Regarding Hurley and Tip: a little riddle from current Germany. Why aren't Tip launch cars available over here? No customer gets Tip before September. Hint hint: some Porsche employees just got their new company car. Another hint hint: almost all drive Tip.

I hear you say that customers of tip cars will receive them in September, mine is coming out of production this Friday, Basalt/Black Tip/SC, I have my Rechnung that just arrived, I have to transfer the funds and after that I will have a factory delivery date either week beginning 25th of June or the next one... So customers will be getting tip cars way before September! Or are you talking for Germany omly, I thought you were talking for the whole of Europe...

Car journalists are not infallible, but they are paid to tell the truth. When they all say the same thing, it is irrational to discount that informed opinion.

Porsche employees are not necessarily enthusiasts or objective. They just ordered the Tip without driving it based on the specs and city commuting considerations.

But the reality of the updated last-gasp slush-box has now been revealed: The King has no clothes.

Let's just enjoy our cars.

Manual is more involving and fun .....faster in the hands of Walter Rohrl ...and Tip is faster in the hands of all the members on Rennteam

Quote:
    CF said:

Manual is more involving and fun .....faster in the hands of Walter Rohrl ...and Tip is faster in the hands of all the members on Rennteam

you just flame it up again CF!

Quote:
    CF said:

mmmh...maybe not..i'm faster than Rohrl to change gears..

I also am replacing an E55k with an August build Guards Red 997tt 6spd. The tip may be "fully integrated" electronically with the car, but the car has no eyes and no wife demanding a stick.

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    CF said:

even if its true dario ( i honestly doubt),next time you meet a tip tt on a red light ,fake a phonecall,otherwise... wwooooooossshhhhhhh...........

RC,
    Even though I currently might not agree w/ you regarding the tip vs. manual, although I've given some thought to ordering the tip and I thank you for that...... Your "credibility" was never in question. Don't know where that is coming from & IMHO it's wrong to do so. I'm very interested in anything & everything you may want to add here and don't demand an explaintion or proof so please don't ever hold back based on the unfortunate pressure of one or two people here to suppress opinions. Your posts are always extremely helpful & informative, I know the vast majority here would agree. Thank you for all the info, time & hard work on this site which you do for no charge.

Differing Opinions is a big part of what makes this place so informative. It would be a pretty boring place if everyone agreed or were too afraid to express their different opinion. There's just no need to make it personal, afterall we're all here for basically the same interest and compassion's. Keep it light eh.

ps: I subscribe to EVO but haven't seen the article yet can someone scan it please ?

Anyone with the fench Flat6 article RC mentionned? I can "scour" it for you guys...

Quote:
    CF said:

The only real news about the TT's tip is that for the first time in Porsche history...The Tip is not slower than the manual.

Is it as "sporting" ?? If you want to be slightly quicker than the manual to 200KPH you might like it.

Get what you like.

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    CF said:

even if its true dario ( i honestly doubt),next time you meet a tip tt on a red light ,fake a phonecall,otherwise... wwooooooossshhhhhhh...........

HAHAH,no..i have the live call,nothing in my hands..only the shifter and the steering wheel..

the problem is that i'm from 2 years with only automatic cars at home....Jeep Grand Cherokee and Cayenne S,and 3 months ago i run to buy a Golf GTI(manual) to take again the foot with clutch and arm with shifter..and i'm again slow now...

i make a lot of burn out at the traffic light

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    CF said:

HAHAH,no..i have the live call,nothing in my hands..only the shifter and the steering wheel..

the problem is that i'm from 2 years with only automatic cars at home....Jeep Grand Cherokee and Cayenne S,and 3 months ago i run to buy a Golf GTI(manual) to take again the foot with clutch and arm with shifter..and i'm again slow now...

i make a lot of burn out at the traffic light

Ah Dario,

You should do what we do here in the USA to practice our manual stick driving skills: RENT a manual tranny car! No use buying a car to learn on if you trash the clutch exiting the parking lot of your dealer.

It is debatable if PDK will render manual completely obsolete as there will always be three-pedalaficionados. But the fate of Tip is far more certain; it is history the day that PDK is released - in as little as a year, perhaps....

Quote:
    AUM said:
    But the fate of Tip is far more certain; it is history the day that PDK is released - in as little as a year, perhaps....

Aum you leave me with the impression you think Porsche is knowingly encouraging it's customers to buy a substandard product, in the form of "Tip" :-) Why would they do this? How does such a theory garner support relative to porsches history of relatively exemplary product quality and customer satisfaction? Or are you saying Porsche is no longer interested in it's representations and ultimately customer satisfaction.

Current tip is not substandard, it is a great improvement over the old one. What AUM says is that the current tip is just a precursor for the upcoming PDK, once it is here, no more reason for the tip to exist (PDK will have an auto mode and incorporate all the new technology/gizmos RC has been hinting about).

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Current tip is not substandard, it is a great improvement over the old one. What AUM says is that the current tip is just a precursor for the upcoming PDK, once it is here, no more reason for the tip to exist (PDK will have an auto mode and incorporate all the new technology/gizmos RC has been hinting about).

Well you must be reading his postings differently than I As an example as posted earlier by AUM..."But the reality of the updated last-gasp slush-box has now been revealed: The King has no clothes." This strikes me as more about his relationship or lack thereof with RC. I ordered my car with a manual...but believe most of the information posted by RC to be truthful...maybe AUM might want to refrain from posts like this where he calls into question RC's credibility and firing around "Tip" descriptives that only serve to undermine the harmony of such a forum. Depending on why one wants the 997tt will determine manual versus tip...it's as simple as that. AUM obviously has made up his mind...running down the other choice doesn't add to the quality of this site..IMHO

You are correct, I made it sound too much like he likes the tip... the rest holds though!

You guys think the choice is hard for a coupe... It is even harder for a cab...

I was talking about Germany only, there simply was no Tip quota left and ALL 200+ launch cars are manual. Well...minus one.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802861 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448449 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265982 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89992 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6468 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885485 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832641 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM