Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 Turbo drive impression in EVO

997 Turbo drive impression from EVO. In short-very fast, excellent stability and traction. Awsome with manual gearbox, grear drive control and interaction. TIP-not involving at all, fast, but kills all the fun... Driver involvment is not "there" with TIP.
    All in all, awsome car but, too polished(in TIP version)...
    4 stars because of TIP...

Re: 997 Turbo drive impression in EVO

thanks!

today i will buy the italian EVO,there is the Turbo

and yesterday on Nuvolari(tv magazine Porsche Live) there was the Turbo,nice review!

Since EVO is the best of the English speaking mags and has always been pro Porsche, it makes me unhappy to hear that they think tip is the "fun-killer".

Alan, report is very positive one, just NOT about TIP...
    But, did you read any positive report about TIP yet? No? Me neither!
    As I already said here my friend who works for AMS was at 997 Turbo press launch in Spain and also in his opinion TIP is not the best choice for this car... But, do not worry! There are some people who just want autobox in sportscar. I am not one of them since I am waiting for manual with optional LSD(complete driver control and involvement!).

comon man, what did you axpect?
    compared to manual, an automatic will always be a fun killer.
    But on the other hand it is individuall to each and every person. There are many potential Turbo drivers, which for them a manual would be a fun killer. Cause they are used to Mercedes cars like SL or CL, and they already long time forgot how to change gears. But I think real sport cars fans, will get bored very fast in an auto trany.
    So it really only depends on who is buying the car and what he is looking for.
    I know many on this board are getting automatic cars, hope nobody will regret it to soon. Cause this 0.2 seconds form 0-100 you will feal very seldom, cause you don't push the car always 100% in daily driving. But the Automatic/Manual you feel evey second of driving the car.
    And for sure even if the manual is a bit fast, I am sure the manual feels much faster.
    On more point is, as soon as the pdk will show of, the tip cars will loose a lot in the resale market.

It's official: Tip sucks for enthusiasts.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    TIP-not involving at all, fast, but kills all the fun... Driver involvment is not "there" with TIP.
    All in all, awsome car but, too polished(in TIP version)...
    4 stars because of TIP...

Let me understand it: it gets 4 stars because drivers aren't "involved" too much, 90% of which probably can't even touch the car's limit??? Now that makes sense. The problem with driver involvement is always...the driver. The whole new concept of the 997 Turbo is actually based on least driver involvement but more driver skills. Meaning: it can be extremely fast even in the hands of a not so experienced driver but it can be fast as hell in the hands of a pro driver.

I understand that some car journalists want to do donuts, to drive the car sideways and find it cool and to tell people how "involving" and difficult it is to drive 300 kph.

But the truth is: only the owner of such a car can apperciate it's potential, nobody else.

Don't get me wrong, whoever preferred manual over Tip on the 997 Turbo didn't do anything wrong. If he's a very good driver, he will surely enjoy almost all benefits from the new technology. A mediocre driver won't ever be able to take advantage of the new advanced networked design of engine, PTM/PSM, AWD, etc..

That said, yes, Tip may be not "involving" enough. But it allows most drivers to drive the crap out of the 997 Turbo without getting sweaty hands too much. And it allows good and experienced drivers to achieve new heights/limits in the 997 Turbo, making it a completely new experience.

That said, I think that owning a "combo", a 997 Turbo Tiptronic and a 997 GT3 at the same time would be the perfect combo for a driver like me. But since I can't afford to own both, I've chosen the one which is the most fun under all driving conditions. That simple.

Which doesn't of course mean that I can't be disappointed as some point with the 997 Turbo Tiptronic. This is why I just can't wait to do a review of this car. And if you guys are clever, take the first review as a first attempt to understand the car. The second review which will follow after I've done a couple of thousands of km in the Turbo will be much more interesting. And since I never learned to keep my mouth shut...all the good and bad will be available for your enjoyment.

The day they offer Tip on a GT3....will demonstrate to me that it is an enthusiasts choice.

Otherwise - and no offence intended - it is for those who enjoy driving with a notch less engagement.

[Flame suit ready...]

Quote:
    BMCG said:
    The day they offer Tip on a GT3....will demonstrate to me that it is an enthusiasts choice.

Otherwise - and no offence intended - it is for those who enjoy driving with a notch less engagement.

[Flame suit ready...]

It depends as to what you mean about engagement. If it means moving your arms and legs at the same time in trying to get the maximum out of the car and only limited by your abilities, then your right a manual would be more engaging.

However if you mean maximizing the perf. in partnership with the car then clearly the Tip is better engagement. I am not a fan of Tip but I am confident that you will get more engagement/enjoyment when you are faster. That much Tip will do for 99% of all the drivers.

Quote:
    BMCG said:

Oh boy...I really should stop writing...just loosing my precious time, honestly.

Just a dumb question, maybe I'm really overlooking something: what do a GT3 and Turbo have in common? In my opinion...NOTHING. The old comparing oranges to apples thing, maybe one reason why so many will be frustrated with their manual Turbo choice.

To make it easier for you:
    1. the Turbo has PTM/PSM, the GT3 doesn't
    2. the Turbo has VTG turbo chargers with electronically controlled turbine impellers, the GT3 doesn't
    3. the Turbo has an electronically controlled AWD system, the GT3 doesn't
    4. the Turbo Tiptronic "communicates" with all above systems for a perfect setup, the GT3's manual gearbox has no electronic control whatsoever, same applies to the Turbo manual gearbox (hint, hint... ).

Why doesn't a GT3 get Tiptronic? Well...because most people buying a GT3 think that the GT3 makes them (at least look ) faster and an automatic tranny wouldn't be quite the right choice, right?!.
    But maybe it has another reason too, read my lips...oops...my writing: the Tiptronic system in the Turbo can't be used that efficiently in the GT3. Why? Well...read above.

Yes, I'm a little bit out of line now but hey, you seem to prefer passion over boring stuff, right?!

RC, you are defending TIP because:
    1. You are DIE HARD Porsche Marketing beliver! All claimes that Porsche Marketing makes are true... Specially those about TIP in 997 Turbo
    or
    2. You like to drive TIP versions more then manual. You already have TWO TIP Porsche's so this may be the case...
    or
    3. You ordered your 997 Turbo with TIP because some "little bird" or "deep throat" told you it is awsome and faster then manual. Now, all people that do not agree with you are stupid, ingorant or whatever...

So, why in the hell we do not see any positive report about TIP version? So, in your opinion RC all members of car press are morons(excluded only those of them who actually likes TIP)? Why is manual version(specially with optional LSD) faster at least 3s on Nordschleife then TIP version? What kind of person would challenge every other 997 Turbo driver on traffic lights just because she/he drives TIP version?

I love this web site really a lot but, if you do not like this post just delete it... Little bit of freedom of opinion is nice I guess... You have yours and I have mine! Let's live in harmony until first TIP test in AMS or Sport Auto. But, even if they will not be positive you have to live with your car(and the same goes for me and my manual with LSD!)...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    RC, you are defending TIP because:
    1. You are DIE HARD Porsche Marketing beliver! All claimes that Porsche Marketing makes are true... Specially those about TIP in 997 Turbo
    or
    2. You like to drive TIP versions more then manual. You already have TWO TIP Porsche's so this may be the case...
    or
    3. You ordered your 997 Turbo with TIP because some "little bird" or "deep throat" told you it is awsome and faster then manual. Now, all people that do not agree with you are stupid, ingorant or whatever...

So, why in the hell we do not see any positive report about TIP version? So, in your opinion RC all members of car press are morons(excluded only those of them who actually likes TIP)? Why is manual version(specially with optional LSD) faster at least 3s on Nordschleife then TIP version? What kind of person would challenge every other 997 Turbo driver on traffic lights just because she/he drives TIP version?

I love this web site really a lot but, if you do not like this post just delete it... Little bit of freedom of opinion is nice I guess... You have yours and I have mine! Let's live in harmony until first TIP test in AMS or Sport Auto. But, even if they will not be positive you have to live with your car(and the same goes for me and my manual with LSD!)...

You don't really want me to say everything I know, do you? Or do you?
    The reason why I defend Tiptronic that much is simple: I know something other people don't know. But since this sounds pretty arrogant, I never said it. Now you forced me too.

Our site became successful because people trust us and because we unveilled a few things in the past which were pretty surprising, not to say sensational. I do not believe Porsche Marketing and I also criticize them a lot because I'm not sure they're doing a great job, even if they seem to convince a lot of people with their claims but thats not my point.

Deleting posts? Why should I? Because somebody has a different opinion? Or because I know slightly more than other people? But don't expect me to shut up because this is why a discussion forum is here for.

The only reason why I sometimes react a little bit touchy is simple to explain: people don't pay attention.
    I would NEVER tell somebody who claims that he drove manual and he thinks it is "better" (whatever this means to him) than Tip that he is dumb or that this is crap. This would be not only arrogant but also very insulting. But if somebody compares a GT3 to the Turbo or if somebody trusts the claims of car journalists who have nothing better to do than do donuts in a 140000 Euro car...I don't know, I just get mad. This romanian car journalist was driving a Dacia/Oltcit a couple of years go and you really honestly want me to trust his opinion? Oh boy.

Sorry if my direct approach of telling my opinion is a little bit too offensive but this is actually the good thing about Rennteam: we don't give a crap. Since we don't make money with it, since we don't have sponsors, etc., we're free to express our opinions. And trust me if I say that these opinions are usually backed up by facts but you don't really want to tell you something about our sources, our possibilities or similar stuff?!

So maybe we already drove the 997 Turbo Tip. Maybe not under "controlled" conditions like car journalists. Maybe we talked to a lot of people involved in development and maybe I'm just lying to you and telling you crap.

Bottom line is: people have a choice. If they don't like my posts, they can ignore them. And there are other car forums too.

"Tiptronic communicates with systems for a perfect setup"

I wonder about your statement. Aren't the computers mapped for the perfect setup whether it be manual or tip? And the difference is that whereas there is perfect input from the tip, there is imperfect input from a mediocre manual driver.

I would think that the problem with the mediocre manual driver is that the computers will follow the driver's "commands" and set-up the systems dependent on the sensor input. So doesn't the manual communicate with the systems via the computer just like the tip, the difference being that with imperfect inputs (from the mediocre) driver, there is only so much the computers can do.

Bottom line - I'm asking isn't there communication between the manual and the rest of the systems, just not as perfect as in the tip wherever everything can be matched to perfection?

Hmmm... OK! Enjoy your TIP and I will enjoy my manual!
    BTW, great post about Michelin Cup's(N1)!

Well put RC.

Now Nick, I might see an enthusiasts choice including PDK, but a TIP? Having run a Tip and Manual back to back at a fairly technical track, found it distinctly less engaging to be working with the Tip...actually found it rather frustrating. Granted I've much less experience with a TIP, but following that encounter, neither was I persuaded to take on the learning curve.

BTW - even setting aside the Porsche bias that resonates through EVO...believe fair to assert that EVO is a cut above your average car mag. Their opinions resonate with insight and a passion for the art of driving.

You are starting to rave a bit, RC. But we love you anyway

Re: "Tiptronic communicates with systems for a perfect setup"

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    I wonder about your statement. Aren't the computers mapped for the perfect setup whether it be manual or tip? And the difference is that whereas there is perfect input from the tip, there is imperfect input from a mediocre manual driver.

I would think that the problem with the mediocre manual driver is that the computers will follow the driver's "commands" and set-up the systems dependent on the sensor input. So doesn't the manual communicate with the systems via the computer just like the tip, the difference being that with imperfect inputs (from the mediocre) driver, there is only so much the computers can do.

Bottom line - I'm asking isn't there communication between the manual and the rest of the systems, just not as perfect as in the tip wherever everything can be matched to perfection?

what rc means is that in the tip equipped car,the gearbox is part of the networking system,meaning that the engine ,the turbos,the wheels ,the awd and the gearbox are all constantly exchanging and analysing data via the networking system and an ecu to give an optimal setup to the above mentionned systems.
    the manual dont have this system..

You mean that there is no communication between systems

in the manual? I have a hard time understanding this. In the maual car, everything is operating totoally independently, whereas in the tip everything is networked? Is this right?

Re: You mean that there is no communication between systems

About ECU...
    "Optimum performance is assured at all times with the aid of the Motronic ME7.8.1 engine management system. On the new 911 Turbo, this powerful ECU is responsible for all engine-related functions and assemblies (see diagram). Key among these are the Variable Turbine Geometry (VTG), VarioCam Plus and electronic throttle system - one of the essential prerequisites for the standard Porsche Stability Management (PSM). The results: optimum economy, emissions and performance, regardless of driving style.

Another important task performed by the engine management system is cylinder-specific knock control. By preventing pre-ignition at high engine speeds, this function can avert costly damage to the pistons and cylinders. Since temperatures tend to vary in different parts of the engine, each cylinder is monitored separately. If a risk is detected, the individual ignition timing is adjusted.

The EU-compliant on-board diagnostics system provides continuous fault detection and early warning for the exhaust and fuel supply systems. The resulting benefits are active prevention of harmful emissions as well as consistent rates of fuel consumption."

About TIP...
    "The 911 Turbo is available with optional five-speed Tiptronic S offering a highly rapid gearshift action. This versatile option offers fully automatic five-speed operation as well as direct manual control.

In manual mode, you can change gear by hand using gearshift controls on the steering wheel. Simply press up to change up, and down to change down. The clutch function is fully automatic.

In automatic mode, the standard gearshift pattern, designed for maximum fuel economy, can be steplessly varied up to a dedicated 'Sport' configuration for optimum high-performance driving. Each gearshift point is automatically selected based on current driving style and road conditions. Within a short space of time, you'll develop a feel for the system and begin to influence gearshifts using the throttle alone.

The benefits of Tiptronic S are particularly apparent when exploring the car's potential. Even in automatic, the rapid gearshift action enables remarkable agility under acceleration. The immediacy of response, with virtually no interruption in drive, is now more than comparable with a Porsche manual gearbox. At just 3.7 seconds, the new 911 Turbo with Tiptronic S is 0.2 seconds quicker to 100 km/h (62 mph) than the standard manually equipped car.

While still in automatic, you can change gear by hand using the rocker controls on the steering wheel. If there is no manual input for a period of 8 seconds, the system reverts to automatic mode.

If the car is driven more assertively, the system automatically selects the 'Sport' gearshift pattern, i.e., there is no need to use a kickdown function. Unlike conventional automatic systems, Tiptronic S does not shift up when the throttle is released, thus enabling optimum acceleration when exiting a corner with no loss of stability due to changes in load. Mid-corner gearshifts are also prevented, thereby enhancing stability and safety. Under heavy braking, the system shifts down, using engine braking to slow the car. The function is enabled during high-performance use when the driver releases the throttle to apply the brake within a period of 1.5 seconds. These active downshifts enhance the car's performance, particularly when braking for a corner. Under prolonged braking, additional downshifts are performed based on the amount of brake force applied. An incline sensor improves uphill acceleration and makes better use of engine braking on descent. This, of course, helps to reduce the load on the braking system. If traction is lost under braking in the wet or on snow, the system automatically changes up to restore lateral grip and bring the car back into line.

Tiptronic S also includes a warm-up function designed to minimise exhaust emissions. When the car is started, the engine speed is increased so that the catalytic converters reach their optimum operating temperature within the shortest possible time."

About manual gearbox...
    "The new six-speed manual gearbox in the 911 Turbo is specifically adapted to the car's high levels of engine torque. Designed primarily for sports driving, one immediate characteristic is the perfectly judged spread between successive ratios as you upshift through the gears. The gearshift throw is short and precise, with only minimal force required. Thanks to a dual-mass flywheel, this uncompromising setup means there's never any compromise in comfort. The linkage provides a direct connection with the gearbox while insulating the lever from engine vibration."
    BTW, new manual gearbox in 997 Turbo is from Getrag.

About optional LSD(for manual only)...
    "The manual gearbox version of the new 911 Turbo is available with an optional mechanical limited-slip rear differential. Key benefits include greater rear-end traction when exiting hairpin bends as well as on variable-grip surfaces. It also compensates for changes in wheel loads caused by throttle modulation when cornering."

The technical merits of Tip are not disputed by reviewers who have driven both transmissions. Everyone is in awe of the networked systems.

The criticism is always the same: Tip is less fun. And it is slower on the Ring (says Walter).

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    in the manual? I have a hard time understanding this. In the maual car, everything is operating totoally independently, whereas in the tip everything is networked? Is this right?

absolutly..

NOT exactly...

thats the engine management chart kreso, not the entire management system.

Yes it is but, communication between ECU, PTM and PSM is the same in both versions. Difference is that TIP is incorporated in that system while manual gearbox in not(ea. gearchanges, gearchanges speed etc.)
    BTW, PSM and PTM programming is different on manual version with optional LSD...

Here's my interpretation

When the manual car is driven imperfectly by the mediocre driver, the major systems (VTG PSM etc) are still being optimized for the best POSSIBLE performance given the shifting input. With the tip, shifting input is always "perfect" since the transmission is under computer control and thus all the other systems are ALWAYS optimized. But, it may be that imperfect driver that's go the biggest smile on his face

Re: Here's my interpretation

I guess only I can resolve this 997TT Tip versus Manual issue.

The 997TT Tip will be the most "involving."

This is probably why - In the hands of a skilled driver,
    the networked tip can more quickly exploit whatever split second decision opportunities you get or whatever conditions u face to set up the car as needed faster than the manual can.

Consider its benefit in hill climb competitions and attacking curvy uphill and downhill sections of mountain roads and you will understand what I mean as to which is the "more involving"

So, the manual got a slightly better Nring time, thats likely due to the Professional driver milking a few sec off because of the LSD. Big deal. Go achieve that in real world traffic. Have that same driver attack a diffcult Alpine pass. I am sure he will be quicker in the Sport Chrono Tip car over the SC manual car.

I think some people got stuck on the "it makes the car easier to accellerate for beginners" message and fail to
    think of its advantages for skilled drivers.

The Tip has some advantages over manual. But the primary duo of more fun and faster lap times are not amongst them.

More involving or not.....99.9% of all the members here would post faster laptimes with a Tiptronic.

Re: "Tiptronic communicates with systems for a perfect setup"

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    I wonder about your statement. Aren't the computers mapped for the perfect setup whether it be manual or tip?

Alan, I'm so sad that I didn't finish the new Turbo FAQ yet but I really didn't have the time.
    Take the manual gearbox: does it have an electronic control unit? Now take the Tiptronic: does it have an electronic control unit?
    No, the "brain" of the manual is...the DRIVER. The brain of the Tiptronic is...the 997 Turbo's computer system.

And now I really stop before my blood pressure raises to 200 and more and I splash my organs and brain all over my office because of an exploding me.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    The Tip has some advantages over manual. But the primary duo of more fun and faster lap times are not amongst them.

Fun is a perception, a feeling. It can be defined in many ways. Faster lap times aren't achieved by the gearbox but by the driver. Manual favors good drivers, Tiptronic favors mediocre and bad drivers. BUT: in the hands of a pro driver, both achieve incredible times with the only exception that the Tiptronic driver has less sweaty hands and a broader "error" margin for performance errors (not driver errors).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    807968 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450068 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267518 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90772 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7669 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888050 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836876 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM