Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Dealer informs me she arrives on Tuesday next week...

Well fellow enthusiasts, she's nearly here and I've not been able to sleep for a week now, this is torture.

So, is there anything you lucky owners wish they had done, perhaps to record the day you collected your new car, or wish you had resolved before collecting...

Delivery Confirmation 02/05/06...Check
    Clear Bra order cancelled...Check
    Laser Pro Park & Origin B2 ordered...Check
    V750 Cert Received...Check
    Personal Plates made...Check
    Lift to Dealer Sorted...Check
    Cash in the bank...Check
    Insurance Sorted...Check
    Boot Liner Delivered...Check
    Garage emptied and Floor Painted...Check
    Swissol supplies replenished...Check
    Camera Charged...Check

Anything else? I need to get out I think, it would appear I'm driving the wife up the wall. Tomorrow I might even cut the grass and paint the porch...that's porch, not Porsche..

Re: Dealer informs me she arrives on Tuesday next week...

What about reservations to a nice restaurant to celebrate(don't forget to take the wife)

Work with your weatherman to get a good forcast for the day you pick it up. I got mine a week ago last Friday, but did not have the patients to wait and brought it home during a torrental downpour. The weekend however was awesome, and I thouroughly enjoyed cleaning her up and taking her out to stretch her legs a bit on some winding country road. I am curious about your cancellation of the clear bra though. I had the front bumper covered as well as the areas where the rear bumper comes around to the wheel and curves beneath the car. I feel much better having the protection, and I'm very pleased with the appearance, as minimal as it is.

Bring a CD with your favorite (current) song. Make sure you'll still like it 20 years from now and listen to it and only it, at least nine but no more than eleven times on the trip home. You don't want to play it loud each time but at least loud seven times. However, the first eleven miles should driven with ONLY the sound of the engine present. Drive with both hands on the wheel (except to shift of course) and do NOT look around excessively to see who's looking at you. Ideally, there should be a minimum of 51 minutes of open-road driving for the music and first-drive experience. Plan your drive then drive your plan. Pay close attention and absorb ALL feedback from the car. Do not include any city-traffic driving in the time calculations as this type of driving is to be avoided if possible for the inaugural journey. Additionally, remember to breath deep and soak it all in. Oh yeah... use the bathroom before you leave the dealer. The excitement of taking delivery can make you forget routine things and you don't want this first drive to be interrupted by a pit stop!

Congrats and have fun!

p.s. very important... no passengers for this first drive!

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    Bring a CD with your favorite (current) song. Make sure you'll still like it 20 years from now and listen to it and only it, at least nine but no more than eleven times on the trip home. You don't want to play it loud each time but at least loud seven times. However, the first eleven miles should driven with ONLY the sound of the engine present. Drive with both hands on the wheel (except to shift of course) and do NOT look around excessively to see who's looking at you. Ideally, there should be a minimum of 51 minutes of open-road driving for the music and first-drive experience. Plan your drive then drive your plan. Pay close attention and absorb ALL feedback from the car. Do not include any city-traffic driving in the time calculations as this type of driving is to be avoided if possible for the inaugural journey. Additionally, remember to breath deep and soak it all in. Oh yeah... use the bathroom before you leave the dealer. The excitement of taking delivery can make you forget routine things and you don't want this first drive to be interrupted by a pit stop!

Congrats and have fun!

Right on ! I like the way you think, GA997S!

Congratulations ResB! Don't forget to post pictures when you get the chance!

A little stash of Mobil One in the garage for topping-off and maybe connive a small bottle of touch-up paint from the dealer? Is there a way to be knocked out/sedated until Tuesday gets here?
    Just kidding, ENJOY!

Ah, maybe a bottle of champagne chilled for that evening, after she's all put to bed of course.

You're WAY ahead of me! I still have the garage to do, the bags to pack (Euro Del) and a reservation with Delta!

Dan

Quote:
    rhino said:
    What about reservations to a nice restaurant to celebrate(don't forget to take the wife)

Have you been round at my house again giving my wife ideas? (I know I've lined myself up for ridicule with this question! ) The wife has already suggested this.

Quote:
    mid-life fun said:
    Work with your weatherman to get a good forcast for the day you pick it up. I got mine a week ago last Friday, but did not have the patients to wait and brought it home during a torrental downpour. The weekend however was awesome, and I thouroughly enjoyed cleaning her up and taking her out to stretch her legs a bit on some winding country road. I am curious about your cancellation of the clear bra though. I had the front bumper covered as well as the areas where the rear bumper comes around to the wheel and curves beneath the car. I feel much better having the protection, and I'm very pleased with the appearance, as minimal as it is.

I live in the UK and our weathermen/women are more interested in looking good than actually getting the weather right. I've cancelled the clear bra cos I just could not make my mind up about it. However, I decided not to go with it until such time I've seen it properly applied and in the flesh. The problem is what I have seen applied to date has been poor, perhaps giving a wrong impression. However, I have an open mind and am trying to arrange a visit at a company called "paintshield" who have been reported as being superb.

I'm particularly looking forward to cleaning the car and getting 3 coats of wax on it. and can only hope the weather is kind.

Quote:
    GA997S said:

Congrats and have fun!

Classic post. I'm still chuckling to myself now. Good idea about the CD and I'm on the case now, too early to say what I'm going for but I'll post a playlist before the journey. Oh, yeah, no passengers is an absolute must, don't want anyone spoiling my pending love affair now do we?

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

Right on ! I like the way you think, GA997S!

Congratulations ResB! Don't forget to post pictures when you get the chance!

Oh yes, I can't pretend they are going to be very spring orientated like a few threads on this forum, perhaps a few shots with power stations and petrochemical plants in the background. However, there will be loads I'm sure from dealer pics, unveiling and all that to shots of the car on the drive after the mammoth cleaning session.

Quote:
    BudWeiser said:
    A little stash of Mobil One in the garage for topping-off and maybe connive a small bottle of touch-up paint from the dealer? Is there a way to be knocked out/sedated until Tuesday gets here?
    Just kidding, ENJOY!

Ah, maybe a bottle of champagne chilled for that evening, after she's all put to bed of course.

Ah yes. I have a litre of Mobil One, but I didn't get it for the Porsche. Will investigate further. Paint touch up. That's a belting idea, I'll make a note of that one. We have a bottle of bubbly ready to go for any such occasion, however, it's the wrong grape for me, a glass wont hurt though. Do you have a spare Cryo chamber I can borrow so I can go into cryogenic sleep for a few days. Second thought's no. If I leave the wife with the plastic and I'm not awake to stop her, the high street will have a very good May bank holiday.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    You're WAY ahead of me! I still have the garage to do, the bags to pack (Euro Del) and a reservation with Delta!

Dan

When do you collect? If it's the same time as me you need to get a move on. What a nice thing to look forward to though.

Cheers all,

Maybe worth thinking now about whether you want to buy GAP insurance.

As you will almost certainly get the hard sell when you are in the last moments of handover!! I wasn't ready for it, and bought it (I'm so easy!!). After thinking about it I don't know whether it was a good idea or not!! (Considering Porsche insurance offer the same thing included for the first year anyway!)

And remember to read the runnining in section (Then forgot what you have read!). In the UK book there are basically no running in rules!

...Add

Quote:
    GA997S said:

Congrats and have fun!

Hey, keep in mind delivery day can be very exhausting. Lots of information coming at you, pressures of checking car for defects, salesman distracting you from doing what you gotta do, big check signing, ext warrenty fine print, glitzy energy of being in dealership for 2 or three hours.

I also had a long drive home in traffic after this ordeal.

Soooooooo, consider your particular situation and maybe take it easy after the purchase/delivery is made. Go home and just eat a pizza while you stare at and fiddle with the parked car in your driveway.

Maybe it's just me but Delivery day (D-day) wasn't really that "fun" as much as it was intense.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Maybe it's just me but...

Go home and eat a pizza!

Maybe it is just you!

Take the "intense" delivery then order a pizza and eat it at the dealer while you stare at and fiddle with the parked car on the lot. I remember the first 100 miles (took the long way home) like it was last week. My regret is that there's no one song that triggers that memory. I think a single song repeated during the drive would have done that. my .02

It's a good point about the GAP/BTI insurance. As the dealer didn't secure the finance from me they were keen to secure the GAP cover. I remember a thread on this forum (perhaps another, not sure) where GAP insurance was made available for Pounds300ish. For those that took this extra cover out what kind of figures were you being quoted. Porsche quoted me Pounds400 if I remember correctly.

This will be the first car that I thoroughly and I mean thoroughly inspect from new before taking it away from the dealers, mainly because of the value of it. Are Porsche dealers any more inclined to provide a better hand over service than say Audi for example? Us Brits tend not to complain very much and prefer the stiff upper lip rubbish than have any form of confrontation. For me this time though I will try not to take the view that I just want the car and drive it home, gimme the keys attitude if you know what I mean. How many times have you bought a car and the dealer starts to explain how the indicators work and all you can do is say yeah yeah, I'm not stupid, gimme the god damn keys...

I wonder, is it acceptable to have minor swirl marks in the paintwork. The reason I ask is that I have yet to see a dealer polish and wax a car properly. Is it a reason not to take the car?

One other question, what are the locking wheel nuts like. I mean should I change these straight away? If so do you have any recommendations?

Quote:
    madadd said:
    And remember to read the runnining in section (Then forgot what you have read!). In the UK book there are basically no running in rules!

Running-in rules are redundant when you have all those speed cameras!

You need to be up early and deploy countermeasures to avoid Mr Plod.....See Carlos for details

Good luck with your new baby.

Also:

Ask the dealer for the Porsche windscreen washer fluid. It works well and it dones't take much space. Porsche first aid kit, it doesn't come with the car. Locking nuts are fine I think. I still have my wheels. Tyre protection insurance isn't much and is worth a look. I got mine for free.

My handover was great from the dealer.And flowers. !? It was sunny dry and the car was almost perfect. (Basalt Black). Thet forgot to clean the inner rear screen but I forgave them and did it myself.

Enjoy.

Excellent. What about this tune for the ride home? Or perhaps a bit to tempting to floor it.

997 Into

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    madadd said:

Running-in rules are redundant when you have all those speed cameras!

The cameras around Nottingham's ring road are numerous to say the least. Carlos has certainly been a great help with the pending counter measures.

Quote:
    john999s said:
    Also:

Ask the dealer for the Porsche windscreen washer fluid. It works well and it dones't take much space. Porsche first aid kit, it doesn't come with the car. Locking nuts are fine I think. I still have my wheels. Tyre protection insurance isn't much and is worth a look. I got mine for free.

My handover was great from the dealer.And flowers. !? It was sunny dry and the car was almost perfect. (Basalt Black). Thet forgot to clean the inner rear screen but I forgave them and did it myself.

Enjoy.

Washer Fluid and Tyre Protection Insurance. Got it.

Ahhh. The joys of the A52. And the A46. And the A610. And the 'Safety Camera' van. Countermeasures have saved me 6 points around Nottingham so far. Mind the A606 Melton road between the villages as they now sit between villages.

You probably know but there handy list of trouble spots at:

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/traffic_and_travel/roads/mobilespeedcameras.htm

Bikes seem to be immune head on but Porsches aren't!!

Cheers!

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Excellent. What about this tune for the ride home? Or perhaps a bit to tempting to floor it.

997 Into

Nah. I'd go for "On days like this" (???) sung by Matt Munro to accompany that guy driving a Lamborghini Miura on a mountain road in the Alps at the beginning of the original "Italian Job", but without the Caterpillar at the end of the tunnel, obviously.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:

997 Into

Nah. I'd go for "On days like this" (???) sung by Matt Munro to accompany that guy driving a Lamborghini Miura on a mountain road in the Alps at the beginning of the original "Italian Job", but without the Caterpillar at the end of the tunnel, obviously.

Yeah, good tune. Ooof makes me wince when I think of that. Did you like the video that went with my proposal?

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:

997 Into

Yeah, good tune. Ooof makes me wince when I think of that. Did you like the video that went with my proposal?

The vid fine, but was it really meant to be only 14 seconds long, or did something go wrong with my download?

Bythe way, where is that lighthouse situated?

Yeah it was only 14 seconds long, as it was a clip from Top Gear and one of the presenters starts talking over the tune. I believe it was on the Isle of Man as it was from the test of the M6, AM V8 and the 997.

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Yeah it was only 14 seconds long, as it was a clip from Top Gear and one of the presenters starts talking over the tune. I believe it was on the Isle of Man as it was from the test of the M6, AM V8 and the 997.

You'r right. That comparo was run on the Isle of Man.

That also explains why the lighthouse looked vaguely familiar, because I saw that Top Gear program.

FWIW, the song I referred to was really called "On days like these" - I just had to dig out the DVD to check, and to hear Michael Caine say "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off" one more time!

Quote:
    ResB said:

The song they play on the intro for the 911 in the Top Gear episode is "She Sells Sanctuary" by The Cult... downloadable at iTunes...

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    Oh yeah... use the bathroom before you leave the dealer. The excitement of taking delivery can make you forget routine things and you don't want this first drive to be interrupted by a pit stop!

Congrats and have fun!

Good one GA , NO volcanic erruptions needed in the new wheels... ....

Really though - take a nice piece of ""flannette"" for checking over the body work and if in doubt of anything make sure you bring it to their attention...

Good luck and congrats mate..

throt...

Butzi - Your right about the Cult song. I used to be a Cult fan in my youth. Ah, they were the days.

Throt. Never thought of the "Flannette" idea. Like it.

New tune could quite possibly be "the Speed of Sound" - Coldplay. Wadda ya think?

What about "We've Only Just Begun" Carpenters ?

"Sanctuary" Rocks and sounds great on the Bose system. Tight, clean, punchy bass.
    "Speed of Sound"? Good choice too.
    "Fascination Street" Cure is a good driving song.

"Beautiful Day" U2, because it is. "Speed of Sound" would work, too.

"I Turn My Camera On" Spoon, because Jaguar stole it for their ads here and that song rocks for a Porsche!

"Galvanize" The Chemical Brothers, if you are ok with electronic/dance; "Highway to Hell" AC/DC if you are not!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777363 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441743 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262798 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260982 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85255 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5588 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880669 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816013 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM